Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So my cat is an rear end in a top hat who eats things.

It started off as when he was a kitten eating cardboard. Now he's six months old and finds new and exciting non-edibles to eat. They include:

*3 iphone chargers
*a pair of ipod earphones
*many toys
*my hair
*bites of my living room blinds
*part of a pair of underwear

Basically, if anything is string or string like, he must consume it. Luckily in all these cases, he was found in the act and only managed a bite or two. Still ruined all the electronics. He is also super rough on toys and will completely destroy them in a couple of days. He loves to carry around stuffed plush ones, but the only ones I feel safe giving him are plastic jangly balls since he hasn't figured out how to consume them yet. The worst is that he has woken me up twice now trying to pull on my hair and eat it. What the gently caress cat.

So of course you cat proof by keeping all the electronics away or liberally dousing them in Bitter Apple, but you can't do that with everything. For instance, shoe laces of visitors. He will gnaw off people's shoe laces if given a free moment. A few minutes ago he was trying to pull strings out of the rug. I also cant keep his collar on because he keeps trying to chew on it and it gets stuck over his bottom jaw till the break away lets go.

Why does my cat have pica? How can I make him stop eating like a goat?

The rear end in a top hat in question, Mulder. Notice the bites on the box:

See if your cat likes kitty kongs and pray he does? One of my cats was a prolific pillow biter and I'd have to put the pillows away in a closet or she'd bite the poo poo out of them, though I still had lots of holes in the mattress cover too. All I could do was try to redirect her to toys and keep potential targets out of her reach/make them inaccessible. Other than that, you can wait; my cat grew out of bitey rear end in a top hat phase and now just nips me when playing sometimes, but never bites other stuff anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

So my cat is an rear end in a top hat who eats things.

Why does my cat have pica? How can I make him stop eating like a goat?

I have a cat that does this. His thing is eating the fur off carpeted bass amps and speaker cabinets. He does not do this to proper cat furniture, but instead of being smart like this: he jumps up there and starts nibbling the material. Bitter apple doesn't seem to last. What has worked is just brandishing the bitter apple under his nose. He gets the idea. Also, I can usually distract him either with food or cat toys. It seems to mean he's hungry and/or bored.

The pictured cat likes to eat white iApple cords, but really only when he's hungry.

It sounds like yours does this when you are not looking, though, so it's not for attention? Do you free feed him?

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

My cats seem to be getting bored of their food, how much would I be shooting myself in the foot if I simply sprinkled a tiny bit of crushed cat candy over it to make it smell more appealing for all future feedings?

Obviously simply switching foods would be the superior choice but I haven't been able to find a chicken-free wet food that wouldn't ruin me (they're eating Animonda Carny Pure Beef right now since I'm 99% sure one is allergic to chicken, at least this brand is the only one that hasn't made him throw up)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I've decided to keep an abandoned barn kitten I found in my yard, and I have a question when is safe to introduce him to my other cats. He's been cooped up in the guest bedroom for about two weeks now and just got his first shots and check-up at the vet a couple days ago, and appears quite healthy, other than needing deworming. The vet said wait another 3-4 weeks before we let him out and I'm concerned this is going to adversely affect his socialization. My wife and work all day, so he only gets an hour or two at night to spend with us. The other cats have been camped out by the door investigating him for the past couple weeks too, and they've been checking each other through a gate and are getting along well.

I guess the question is what is the medical reasoning for continuing to keep them separated this long? Might it be enough to wait until his second course of worm meds in another 10 days?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Okay, so I've sort of "adopted" a stray. When the weather started getting cold, this cat would come up on my front porch and cry and totally break my heart because it sounded so pitiful. But of course whenever I opened the door, it would take off. Then after I closed the door it would come back and cry again. So I started feeding it a few weeks ago. I've only actually seen it once, when it came looking for food and the bowl was empty. When I opened the door it took off across the street and hid under my neighbor's car. I filled the dish and about ten minutes later I heard it outside chowing down. It's either a very small adult cat or very young, not much more than a year old, and it wasn't wearing a collar. I'm like 99.9% certain it's a stray just because of how skittish it is -- I'm thinking it would be a little more open to human contact if it belonged to one of my neighbors, plus the way it just appeared out of nowhere on my porch was kind of odd. At first I honestly thought maybe it belonged to someone who lived here before me because it shows up on an almost nightly basis, but then I decided that probably wasn't the case because I've been here six years now and it's only shown up just recently.

So here's a few things.

1. I already have my own cat. He's a diabetic old man with a foul temper and he doesn't get along with other animals.
2. Even if my cat did get along with other animals, this stray seems to be too skittish and too wild to be tamed regardless.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I can keep on feeding it, but more than anything I hate the idea of it spending the winter outside, and I'm really not sure what to do.

Anyone else ever been in a similar situation? I could use some guidance.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I can keep on feeding it, but more than anything I hate the idea of it spending the winter outside, and I'm really not sure what to do.

Build him a cat shelter if you don't want to trap him and hope for the best.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Third Man posted:

I've decided to keep an abandoned barn kitten I found in my yard, and I have a question when is safe to introduce him to my other cats. He's been cooped up in the guest bedroom for about two weeks now and just got his first shots and check-up at the vet a couple days ago, and appears quite healthy, other than needing deworming. The vet said wait another 3-4 weeks before we let him out and I'm concerned this is going to adversely affect his socialization. My wife and work all day, so he only gets an hour or two at night to spend with us. The other cats have been camped out by the door investigating him for the past couple weeks too, and they've been checking each other through a gate and are getting along well.

I guess the question is what is the medical reasoning for continuing to keep them separated this long? Might it be enough to wait until his second course of worm meds in another 10 days?

I'd think if your cats are up to date on shots they should be fine. I mean, my vet always said as long as they all have flea drops and up to date shots, they should be ok? Maybe you'd want to wait to get blood back, but that shouldn't take too long, I'd think?

Anoulie
Oct 8, 2013

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Anyone else ever been in a similar situation? I could use some guidance.

You could try to re-home it with a friend/family member/acquaintance. Or build some sort of kitty house for it? They even make heatable disc-things for them (called Snuggle Safe here) that stay warm up to 8 h.

This is Emmy, 7. We got her from a shelter when she was 2 and now my brother's practicing his photography skillz on her.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Thanks for that link. Those shelters look awesome -- I could make one of those super easy. Sounds like I've got a weekend project.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
So, this morning, Tiger arched her back, puffed up her tailed, and.. Chirruped at me :catstare:

I was quite perplexed, but then I found out that kittens do that if they want to play with you. It kind of reminds me of someone who knows they're going to get tickled :)

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIWd-rt898

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I live with my family which includes my sister and my cat. Yesterday the sister suddenly sprang on me, "I want to get a dog". At first I violently objected but apparently without any effect, then I got really terrified, then - which is the worst - I started thinking that it might not be such a bad idea. I know rationally that it is the worst idea. My cat is completely antisocial as far as other animals are concerned, and seems to think that even the current living situation is too small. The whole thing is just making me lose whatever faith in humanity I have left.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
Hi, i wanna present to you all Mufi (from Mufasa :3:). I have her for almost 5 months now (since she was 2) and i want to ask you guys the following: what breed is she?

PS: She's awesome.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

squirt the daisies posted:

Hi, i wanna present to you all Mufi (from Mufasa :3:). I have her for almost 5 months now (since she was 2) and i want to ask you guys the following: what breed is she?

PS: She's awesome.

Looks like a regular ol' domestic long hair.

She is beyond cute!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Uh, that is clearly a domestic medium hair, thank you! :colbert:

Yeah but that is a super cutie.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Engineer Lenk posted:

How do you convince a cat to actually use the shelter? My brother has an outdoor cat that he built a shelter for, but the cat doesn't seem to want to sleep in there.

Impatiens
Feb 3, 2012
I got my cats this bowl, and one of them has decided she would rather eat the dog food than try to figure it out. How do I convince her to use it?

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER
This problem is with my parents' cats, but it seems to happen every time I come over and apparently it happens a lot. They have two cats - one is between 8-12 years old snowshoe siamese and didn't get along too well with other cats, but she seems to get along as well as unrelated cats usually get along with a 3 year old domestic shorthair who used to be at the bottom of the hierarchy in her family. The two cats are fed separately, about 1/4 cup of food each twice a day. When she first got there, the younger cat was a scavenger and would eat all of her food and then steal food from the older cat. About two years have passed and this has stopped, but probably for the wrong reasons. The older cat will eat all of her food at once and then throw it up soon after. My question is - how do we get the older cat to stop eating all of her food at once or give her some kind of reassurance that the younger cat won't steal her food anymore?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do pale gums mean anything in a cat? My neighbor's cat hangs out at my house constantly, poor is clearly starved for attention, he's quite fat so he seems to be well fed but I couldn't help but notice how pale his gums looked compared to my kitties which are nice and pink.

I suspect he's being fed human food, is he just not getting the nutrition he needs?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

Do pale gums mean anything in a cat? My neighbor's cat hangs out at my house constantly, poor is clearly starved for attention, he's quite fat so he seems to be well fed but I couldn't help but notice how pale his gums looked compared to my kitties which are nice and pink.

I suspect he's being fed human food, is he just not getting the nutrition he needs?

Pretty sure pale gums are bad. What color is he, though? My cat is one of those white with black blotches cats, and her gums and lips seem to just be a lighter color naturally.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alteisen posted:

Check for fleas or flea dirt. Large numbers of fleas (which are common in indoor/outdoor or outdoor only cats) can eventually cause a cat to become anemic.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What's the best way to clean cat puke stains in carpet? My cat has been having a puking issue for months now. The vet is using Cerenia (truly a wonder drug) to control it while trying various meds, but I have to stop the Cerenia with each new med to see if it's working, and my carpet looks like hell at this point. The best I've found is Bissel stain remover, but it doesn't quite get the stain all the way gone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When Pudding and Cookie had their horrifying episode, I used a vacuum/steam cleaner to get the messes cleaned up. If anything it's a bit too effective as now those spots of carpet are way brighter than the surrounding area.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

constantinople posted:

This problem is with my parents' cats, but it seems to happen every time I come over and apparently it happens a lot. They have two cats - one is between 8-12 years old snowshoe siamese and didn't get along too well with other cats, but she seems to get along as well as unrelated cats usually get along with a 3 year old domestic shorthair who used to be at the bottom of the hierarchy in her family. The two cats are fed separately, about 1/4 cup of food each twice a day. When she first got there, the younger cat was a scavenger and would eat all of her food and then steal food from the older cat. About two years have passed and this has stopped, but probably for the wrong reasons. The older cat will eat all of her food at once and then throw it up soon after. My question is - how do we get the older cat to stop eating all of her food at once or give her some kind of reassurance that the younger cat won't steal her food anymore?

It's just occurred to me that even though I have only one cat a vet told me to only give her the amount of food she can eat at once... And I have been kind of ignoring that advice, or I should say, I think I've always put a reasonable amount of food in the... er, bowl? But if overeating (or rather the cat version of bulimia) is the problem, maybe try giving less food at once, but more than twice a day if they go hungry? Or if that's not an option due to work, do any of those fancy feeders everybody keeps talking about allow slow continuous food-dispensing throughout the day?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
A couple of our cats are piggies and will gorge themselves until they can't eat anymore, and then the first thing they do that upsets their tummies will have them ralphing all over the floor. We fixed the problem by splitting their food into two bowls, feeding at fixed intervals and feeding less overall.

I won't go far as to say we "don't free-feed", because the food is there and it's usually available, but the cats know if they eat through the whole bowl in one sitting it's not getting filled back up for a while so they pace themselves now.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Erwin posted:

What's the best way to clean cat puke stains in carpet? The best I've found is Bissel stain remover, but it doesn't quite get the stain all the way gone.

I use Nature's Miracle and find it works well. There are the occasional stains that won't come out and I use Arm and Hammer dry carpet cleaner for that. In my area this is hard to find (I usually have to go to Walmart), but it is worth the hunt. You basically sprinkle it on the spot, use a cleaning brush to disperse it, wait 20 to 30 minutes, then vacuum the spot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nature's Miracle is pretty loving awesome.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Nature's Miracle is rad, but I use a spot stain remover for carpet on my cat's crappy cat tree. It's white and one of my cats hurls up bile sometimes, so it stains it big time.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My cat is broken and seems to be immune to cat nip. He also is indifferent to boxes and the only toy he plays with is a mouse on a string but I think he's getting bored of that. He used to jump off the ground to try to get it when it's in the air but now he just kinda sits there and occasionally gets up on his hind feet to swipe at it. I've also tried this toy which came with 3 things and he mostly doesn't care about it http://www.petsmart.com/cat/toys/na...=pfm%3Dcategory

What other toys can I try to get him away from clawing my box spring or carpet when he gets the zoomies :(

edit: also have a dog in the place so can't be anything that the dog would try to swallow

edit2: also tried a laser pointer and he just ignores it

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Our cats go mental for da bird. Also, we ended up basically coating the underside of our bed in foil to stop one of the idiot cat from clawing the posts in the middle of the night and waking us up. Double sided tape just encouraged her...though having that on first made the foil application much easier!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Some cats just don't have the gene to be affected by catnip. I'd try making something that's similar to what he already likes playing with but is still new-smelling and a little different. Which I know isn't terribly helpful but it's the only thing that works with my cat who gets sick of toys within days. You may be able to get some mileage out of knotting up a drinking straw and potentially tying it to some string on a stick.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
These cat toys by Yeowww! are amazing. My cats are also immune to catnip and don't care about anything unless I'm moving it for them, but they always stop in their tracks to kick the poo poo out of these toys. We have the banana, the lemon, and an imitation one called the "Dynanip". The banana is super floppy from being kicked to poo poo now.

It says catnip toys but don't be fooled, they must put like dead mice or something inside of them because cats go loving crazy for them.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Shnooks posted:

These cat toys by Yeowww! are amazing. My cats are also immune to catnip and don't care about anything unless I'm moving it for them, but they always stop in their tracks to kick the poo poo out of these toys. We have the banana, the lemon, and an imitation one called the "Dynanip". The banana is super floppy from being kicked to poo poo now.

It says catnip toys but don't be fooled, they must put like dead mice or something inside of them because cats go loving crazy for them.

Oh awesome, I'll try some. Thanks everyone :)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Shnooks posted:

These cat toys by Yeowww! are amazing.

These are great. I've had to replace some because cats wore them out. Takes a while, but they are well-loved.

Squeeze them to mash up the dried catnip inside and the cats can smell it better.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Any ideas for how to discourage my idiot cats from annoying each other while in the litter box? We have 3 cats with 3 boxes that are cleaned daily (2 uncovered and 1 covered, absolutely no where to put a 4th unless I put it in the kitchen or something) and while the kittens don't care if they are being annoyed while pooping, my older cat will not go poop in the box if the kittens are messing with him. He will start yowling and then I have to run out, grab the kittens, and lock them in another room for him to poop. Of course, I'm not always home and he hasn't had any accidents, but I do feel bad for him and want to give him a way to poop in peace. On top of intervening and putting the kittens in another room, sometimes I'll just stand by the litter box while he is in there and spray the kittens with the water bottle if they go anywhere near him, but this has no lasting effect as far as I can tell.

BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Danith posted:

My cat is broken and seems to be immune to cat nip.

My sister bought me Chronic Catnip.

We have one cat that is usually disinterested in catnip, probably because she has sinus issues, but this one has such a strong odor that even she reacts. Even if you don't want to buy this, their FAQ and testimonials are pretty funny.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We have had success with the Kong catnip spray - Hugo normally doesn't respond to catnip at all but goes gaga over anything we spray this stuff on (except that he hates the spraying noise and will run away to start with)

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
My wife and I decided to take in a 12-week old kitten that I found abandoned in a parking lot. I took him to the vet and got a clean bill of health, no feline aids, leukemia, or any other issues that would cause us to need to separate the kitten from our other pets.

The cats are assholes part comes in with our existing cat, an 8-10 year old adult. After a week or so of constant hissing (which the kitten seemed to be respectful of) they are interacting more consistently. However, a lot of those interactions involve the kitten chasing the adult cat and attempting to pounce on him, which the adult cat doesn't seem to be interested in reciprocating. A few times it has sounded like the kitten sunk his claws in a bit too much, causing the adult cat to yelp. They don't really fight at all, each instance basically ends with the adult cat fleeing into another room.

My main concern is that the adult cat, who we adopted from a local animal shelter, was de-clawed by the previous owner. We are not planning to de-claw the kitten, so eventually when their sizes even out the adult cat will be at a disadvantage when it comes to defending himself. Is this something that I should try to intervene with now, or should I let them try to work it out themselves? We've literally only had the new kitten in our home for two weeks now, so I may be worrying over nothing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So my cat fractured his hip and screwed up the cartilage. Still not entirely sure how, most common guess is that he fell off something because he's not especially graceful. It's a bummer since it happened right around holiday season and right when we had some family visit from Canada, so money's tight. But hopefully everything pulls through.

I was mostly wondering what kind of impact I could expect the surgery and recovery to have on him long-term.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Actually it kinda sounds to me like things are proceeding normally, Mazzagatti. Kittens are assholes with like, three modes. One is sleep, one is eat, one is attack everything. They grow out of this and become lazier, generally. Your elder cat yelping helps train the kitten to have better manners with its claws. Likewise, elder cat ignoring kitten is a fundamental part of the kitten learning good cat etiquette. You can help train the kitten to have good manners and play with him to wear him out so your elder cat doesn't have to bear the full brunt of his ~youthful exuberance~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

RedTonic posted:

Actually it kinda sounds to me like things are proceeding normally, Mazzagatti. Kittens are assholes with like, three modes. One is sleep, one is eat, one is attack everything. They grow out of this and become lazier, generally. Your elder cat yelping helps train the kitten to have better manners with its claws. Likewise, elder cat ignoring kitten is a fundamental part of the kitten learning good cat etiquette. You can help train the kitten to have good manners and play with him to wear him out so your elder cat doesn't have to bear the full brunt of his ~youthful exuberance~.

That's a relief, thanks! And yes I play with the little bugger every chance I get, so I will stay the course for now.