Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
You don't have to be conscious of the meaning/symbolism of your art. Personally, I think awareness of what you're doing actually goes against creating things that reach beyond the individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bisse posted:

So I watched the Rebuilds 1 and 2 the other day. I thought I would do the same thing as half a year ago and write down my impressions from watching it, but honestly the first movie was pretty much a repeat of what I had already seen so I stopped writing them down about 20 mins in, and the 2nd was just... weird? That Russian chick seems very malplaced and seems to be a total mary Sue (everything goes perfectly for her, somehow steals an Eva and has no synchronization problems and shows up at just the right moment in the final battle, is the only one who manages to talk sense to Shinji for some reason). The ending felt... yeah of course Eva style cuh-raaay-zy and all that, but also badly written? Ritsuko is literally the information dump character, standing and looking on and explaining everything going on in minute detail, the whole thing reminded me of that "They live in the space between universes. :science:" thing from the end of Indiana Jones 4. It had a combination of so many clichés I can't even count them as well.

Also my first thought a few minues into Rebuild 1 was literally "red ocean... oh god are they doing the 'history repeats itself' thing?" And then with the red line on the moon and Kaworu just kind of chilling up there that absolutely seems to be the case.

I don't know, the rebuilds just aren't doing it for me so far.

EDIT: Another thing I really did not like is the 'every enemy has a red core of vulnerability' thing. It feels so much like a stupid action game, compared to the series where they face off against unknown seemingly undefeatable horrors from an unknown place and are pretty much flailing in the dark hoping something somehow will hurt it, see: Rorscarch orb, electro-virus, abstract art from outer space, a completely regular human, an embryo floating around in the earths core, and a hallelujah angel in orbit around the earth.
Whereas the rebuilds is all 'crazy things doing crazy stuff with a big red orb that we have to hit'

Angels had cores in the TV show too.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Angels had cores in the TV show too.
Only some of them. And those were usually the weakest fights (except for the floating blue cube angel).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope they all had cores/S2 engines they just didn't show them during fights with some. Though I guess some of them were microscopic/existed in imaginary space or whatever.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 23, 2014

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Bisse posted:

That Russian chick...

Mari is English. As in from England.

Looking forward to your impressions of Evangelion 3.33 This Does (not) Make Sense. :)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
oops, put on the wrong outfit for my pantyshot

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why does she have two pairs of glasses? Is she going to pull a John Oliver?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Leroy Dennui posted:

You are wrong the second movie is soooooo much better than the original series because Shinji is a total badass instead of somebody who would act like a normal human being would in his situation a whiny beta wuss.

It's actually considerably worse than the original series as far as that complaint goes. In the original series, Shinji at least had some instances of genuinely calm, collected Eva fighting that showed his competence at piloting (e.g., "Dance like You Want to Win!"). In the second film, he's fighting based off of nothing but pure terror for the entire runtime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

It's actually considerably worse than the original series as far as that complaint goes. In the original series, Shinji at least had some instances of genuinely calm, collected Eva fighting that showed his competence at piloting (e.g., "Dance like You Want to Win!"). In the second film, he's fighting based off of nothing but pure terror for the entire runtime.

Ah, let's be fair, Shinji did okay against Sahaquiel. I mean, there was a lot of screaming involved, but the meteor he had just caught was trying to tear his arms off at the time, so I think Shinji deserves some slack.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Moyoco Anno wrote a manga about eating disorders. The Annos were practically made for each other :allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've finally finished RahXephon. It's a pretty good Eva clone, and you can see the influences it has had on other BONES mecha shows.

I remember calling them as having a mediterranean aesthetic, and I still stand by that even as they added a bunch of mesoamerican influences and naming as well.

But you know, underneath all the giant robots and artificial gods and timeslips and reality-warping music, I think a core part of that show was an apology from Japan for its role in WW2. The show uses a whole bunch of imagery from "Oh no Japan is under attack!" media, but then immediately jumps away and depicts it from the invader's point of view. And in doing so, splits Japan in two, between "regular" Japanese people, and Japanese people who came under the sway of divinity (sounds familiar?). The two Operations to attack Tokyo were named Overlord and Downfall for a reason. The Mulian concentration camp, while never actually depicted, are probably a reference to the Japanese-American concentration camps. So while the rest of the world isn't perfect and was remarkably prejudiced at times, they did have a justification for their response to what Japan unleashed upon the world.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Just got an update through Amazon about the release of Evangelion 3.33 on bluray. Apparently it is now scheduled to be released on December 30th, 2014.

Well I guess it's nice that they've technically made the 2014 release window...

Technically...

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I got the same message. Though its a bit odd that Funimation themselves haven't said anything. I'd assume it was a placeholder if it wasn't Dec 30th but now I don't know what to think, are they really just going to hold it off till the very end of the year?

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
There are two ways to look at this.

1) Another goddamn lie until they decide to release it.

2) Gonna be watching it with my buds while I ring in the new year.

Crossing my fingers for option #2 :(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
That's a standard Amazon tactic for an unknown release date. Basically they're saying "it'll be out this year, probably."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Amazon just sent me the "it's been a while, you want to cancel?" note this week with no release date attached. 30 DEC looks like placeholder bullshit to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The first and only time I watched the series was a decade ago in Japanese + subs. I believe, at the time, I also watched EoE.

After hearing about the Rebuilds, I was thinking of revisiting the show. Should I rewatch the whole series again or just the 3 Rebuilds? If nothing else, I could try watching the English dub this time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

The first and only time I watched the series was a decade ago. I believe, at the time, I also watched EoE.

After hearing about the Rebuilds, I was thinking of revisiting the show. Should I rewatch the whole series again or just the 3 Rebuilds?

Depends on what you want. If you just want to revisit old Eva, watch the series. If you want more Eva, watch Rebuild.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Josh Lyman posted:

The first and only time I watched the series was a decade ago in Japanese + subs. I believe, at the time, I also watched EoE.

After hearing about the Rebuilds, I was thinking of revisiting the show. Should I rewatch the whole series again or just the 3 Rebuilds? If nothing else, I could try watching the English dub this time.

Watch the show, it holds up to rewatches very well. The Rebuild movies aren't the same story, except the first one and even it makes small additions and shifts emphasis in a bunch of ways.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 10, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Even when the show isn't super self indulgent, Eva has some gorgeous animation and direction and shot composition.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

Even when the show isn't super self indulgent, Eva has some gorgeous animation and direction and shot composition.

The show is at its best when it is super self indulgent, because that is part of its main theme!

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yes, that's a faithful recreation of End of Evangelion.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Congratulations!

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just saw this (it is an extra from the manga release), it is about Mari...

http://imgur.com/oTyq8F1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JQHSBCh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5uRLWEh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K8Pjg2n.jpg

Is that Mari with Shinji's mom?

:psyduck:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 19, 2014

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Console Role Player posted:

Just got an update through Amazon about the release of Evangelion 3.33 on bluray. Apparently it is now scheduled to be released on December 30th, 2014.

Well I guess it's nice that they've technically made the 2014 release window...

Technically...

dude, u serious? i saw that over a year ago. i got the action figures 2 and 1/2 years ago. when is you can (not) redo supposed to be released? after the third impact?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

UberJumper posted:

Looks like it to me. It's also something we saw in the third Rebuild with Fuyutski showing Shinji that photo of his mother which had Mari in it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ya I guess the most likely explanation is that Mari is a clone or w/e of Yuri like Rei is, and the reason why she's still a child in 2.22 is 'cause of the Eva curse or something. I know a lot of people think she's kind of a lame character but I think there's more to it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

UberJumper posted:

Where'd you find these from? They aren't even released in Japan yet are they?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

UberJumper posted:

I called that poo poo so hard and then everyone told me I was crazy until I believed it myself. :woop:

(Assuming it's real, of course, and not just a doujin or something.)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(Assuming it's real, of course, and not just a doujin or something.)
If it's a doujin, it's by an artist who's about fifty times better at imitating an original artist's style than any I've seen.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

WickedHate posted:

Where'd you find these from? They aren't even released in Japan yet are they?

My friend linked it to me, and apparently according to a post on reddit it is from the italian release, and here is the rest:

http://imgur.com/a/aLzwS

Does anyone know what it says?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Ha well this is new. I can fully expect this not to be explained.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Summation of the new story (28 pg) from the Japanese sites:

Extra Stage: "Summer Shaded Eden"

- Takes place in Kyoto in 1998.
- Tells about Yui Ikari and Gendo Rokubungi in their college days
- Introduces a new 16 year old student studying under Professor Fuyutsuki (she skipped 2 years of education)
- She's a research student who is studying abroad in England
- After becoming close to Yui, Yui gives her a pair of glasses
- Yui also puts her hair in pigtails
- She calls Yui "Yui-senpai" and Gendo "Gendo-kun"
- The girl's name is Mari Makinami

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

RZApublican posted:

Yes, that's a faithful recreation of End of Evangelion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0HU4H0A_tk

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm going to be introducing a friend of mine to Evangelion. I think he'll enjoy the series, but I'm not sure whether to show him the final two episodes first or go straight to End of Evangelion. EoE definitely answers more questions and ties up the loose ends better, but then he doesn't get CONGRATULATIONS.

I'll wind up showing him both eventually, but which do you guys think would be better for first time viewing of the story?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TV ending first since it was made first, and is also really good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TV ending first for sure. It's an important part of the Eva experience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I guess my concern with the original ending is that EoE wraps up the story in a much more cohesive manner. I'll absolutely be showing both, but I guess I'm mostly concerned about which tells the overall story better? And I feel a bit like that might be EoE.