Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

And so Ahriman's old cabal of sorcerer nerds who assisted with the rubric are ALL MAD that they trused Ahriman, but Ahriman hosed up (and hey, he was trying to combat sorceries with the literal god of sorcery) and turned all non psykers into dust. So, everyone hates Ahriman now?

I thought all thousand sons were psykers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

UberJumper posted:

That's kinda racist, man.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

UberJumper posted:

From what I gather, they were closer to 1 psyker out of 10, while most other legions sat somewhere around a thousand to one ratio of psykers. It's not really described all that clearly.

They also just slightly reference that everyone's disciplines and cults (corvidae for divination, Raptora for telekines, etc) got mixed when Magnus sent them into the Eye and now everyone is amazing at everything (except on the tabletop *cough*).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Sephyr posted:

From what I gather, they were closer to 1 psyker out of 10, while most other legions sat somewhere around a thousand to one ratio of psykers. It's not really described all that clearly.

They also just slightly reference that everyone's disciplines and cults (corvidae for divination, Raptora for telekines, etc) got mixed when Magnus sent them into the Eye and now everyone is amazing at everything (except on the tabletop *cough*).

Its weird in Thousand Sons none of the books ever mention anyone who isn't a Psyker. I can only imagine how awkward it must be to be in the thousand sons, and not be a psyker. :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It's pretty well fleshed out in A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, and in other bits of fluff here and there. The 1K Sons had a much higher instance of psykers in their ranks thanks to Magnus' geneseed. Non psyker marines were just regular space marines, and they aren't written much about thanks to this, but they still held the vast majority of rank and file marines. Captains, squad leaders and other parts of leadership were always psykers because there were so many of them when compared to other chapters. Exactly *why* the 1K Sons have so many isn't really well known, but you can rest assured that it is most likely due to Magnus being the most powerful psyker in the universe, 2nd only to the Big E, who was on par with Eldrad.

Thanks to this, Rubric marines become pretty much normal marines whenever lead by a sorcerer. Any other time they just muggle about in their armor.

Sephyr posted:

Ahriman's rubric is what greatly enhanced the psykers in the 1K Sons. If you were a good sorcerer *before* being cast to the planet of sorcerers, after Ahriman and his rubric, you leveled up to over 9000. If you weren't a psyker, you got turned into a dust zombie entombed in your power armor.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 23, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It's pretty well fleshed out in A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns, and in other bits of fluff here and there. The 1K Sons had a much higher instance of psykers in their ranks thanks to Magnus' geneseed. Non psyker marines were just regular space marines, and they aren't written much about thanks to this, but they still held the vast majority of rank and file marines. Captains, squad leaders and other parts of leadership were always psykers because there were so many of them when compared to other chapters. Exactly *why* the 1K Sons have so many isn't really well known, but you can rest assured that it is most likely due to Magnus being the most powerful psyker in the universe, 2nd only to the Big E, who was on par with Eldrad.

Thanks to this, Rubric marines become pretty much normal marines whenever lead by a sorcerer. Any other time they just muggle about in their armor.

Didn't the Thousand Sons just purposely try to recruit psykers? Instead of recruiting from a single planet, they recruited psykers, then brought them back to Prospero.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Didn't the Thousand Sons just purposely try to recruit psykers? Instead of recruiting from a single planet, they recruited psykers, then brought them back to Prospero.

Not that I remember reading. A legion of psykers would be bad. They may have tried to recruit psykers from Prospero since everyone on that planet had at least an inkling of psychic ability. poo poo, even waitresses at tiny cafes knew what you wanted to eat before you sat down.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's a few parts in A Thousand Sons where some sort of psychic scream happens and all the psychically sensitive guys start going nuts and the others aren't anywhere nearly as affected, so not all of them are psykers I'd imagine.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
No they're not.

Lots of them are sorcerers.
Lots and lots more are plain ol' space marines without psychic ability.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why is it a general recurring theme for good guys to think putting the evil ominous artifact of doom on their head/in their hands is a good idea

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

amuayse posted:

Why is it a general recurring theme for good guys to think putting the evil ominous artifact of doom on their head/in their hands is a good idea

Because their pure heart and devotion to the Emps will shield them from the ruinous influence of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

amuayse posted:

Because evil ominous artifacts are doom don't exist, silly, and are just tales used to frighten children.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

amuayse posted:

Because what happened to the others won't happen to me. Nuh uh. Besides, it's just this ONE time and the end totally justifies the means. And it was clearly the Emperor's will that I found this tentacle sword JUST when I really needed it...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

Because what happened to the others won't happen to me. Nuh uh. Besides, it's just this ONE time and the end totally justifies the means. And it was clearly the Emperor's will that I found this tentacle sword JUST when I really needed it...

Well, Logan Grimnar's axe is a trophy from a Berserker champion and he doesn't seem that affected by it. Aren't the Gauntlets of Ultramar also a recovered chaos relic?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Well, Logan Grimnar's axe is a trophy from a Berserker champion and he doesn't seem that affected by it. Aren't the Gauntlets of Ultramar also a recovered chaos relic?

Huh... I didn't know that. For some reason I assumed they were's Robute's weapons and used by whoever was running the chapter.

Then again, there's weapons taken from chaos champions that are just weapons and then there are the whispering, glowy-rune, turn your eyes white and set your rear end on fire type of weapons.

Also, Grimnar is a Space Wolf so he gets a pass because SPACE WULFS R BAD AZZ!!!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Upstanding Space Marine: "That dark artifact yonder is a creation of evil! Let us use these explosives to bury the vile thing so deeply that it will never see daylight again!"

Upstanding Space Marine's dubiously motivated lieutenant: "Hold, brother! Think what mighty power you could wield in the Emperor's name, were you but to take it up and bend it to your indomitable willl!"

Upstanding Space Marine: "Yeah, good point, I AM pretty indomitable, even though I say so myself."

*Grasps the daemon sword and gives it a few experimental swings*

*Immediately sprouts horns and a pointy tail*

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Umiapik posted:

Upstanding Space Marine: "That dark artifact yonder is a creation of evil! Let us use these explosives to bury the vile thing so deeply that it will never see daylight again!"

Upstanding Space Marine's dubiously motivated lieutenant: "Hold, brother! Think what mighty power you could wield in the Emperor's name, were you but to take it up and bend it to your indomitable willl!"

Upstanding Space Marine: "Yeah, good point, I AM pretty indomitable, even though I say so myself."

*Grasps the daemon sword and gives it a few experimental swings*

*Immediately sprouts horns and a pointy tail*
*No one thinks anything is at least a bit odd

*Is a Soul Drinker

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Willy Style posted:

Also someone explain why ahriman changed to his cool dude blue armour instead of staying red.he just sorta, just changed it from what I remember.
Because all Librarians wore blue?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ahriman wouldn't stoop to such barbarous levels of superstition by calling himself a librarian.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Shroud posted:

*No one thinks anything is at least a bit odd

*Is a Soul Drinker

Kinda extends to Fantasy as well with Archaon being corrupted by reading chaos books. Then again Malekith put on the circlet of iron since he was loving bored. Sigmar had to put on Nagash's crown to get a +20 increase to magic res and he only went slightly crazy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

amuayse posted:

Kinda extends to Fantasy as well with Archaon being corrupted by reading chaos books. Then again Malekith put on the circlet of iron since he was loving bored. Sigmar had to put on Nagash's crown to get a +20 increase to magic res and he only went slightly crazy.
To be fair, Malekith's problems are less to do with the Circlet of Iron and more to do with his mother secretly running a Slaaneshi cult since before he was born.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Holy crap. I was leafing through Soul Hunter for Imperial names for a Deathwatch game I'll be running with friends for New Year's Eve, and just now saw that Falkus, the Terminator captainwho more or less kickstarts the plot of Talon of Horus, is there guarding the prison complex when the Night lords arrive and gets into a posture-off with them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sephyr posted:

Holy crap. I was leafing through Soul Hunter for Imperial names for a Deathwatch game I'll be running with friends for New Year's Eve, and just now saw that Falkus, the Terminator captainwho more or less kickstarts the plot of Talon of Horus, is there guarding the prison complex when the Night lords arrive and gets into a posture-off with them.

Dang, that's a neat touch.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
ADB tends to do that, use the same characters between different books even just in quick cameos. Chris Wraight also did it with two of his books, in battle of the fang one of the wolf lords (Brakk?) uses a frost blade called dausvjer. In his other space wolf book blood of asaheim, several thousand years later (battle of the fang is set in M34 i think, asaheim M41) the main character has a legion relic, a relic blade called dausvjer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Eisenhorn and Ravenor share a couple characters. Not sure though.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Doesn't the first Gaunts Ghosts book have a nasty inquisitor that also appears in Eisenhorn?

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Fatty posted:

Doesn't the first Gaunts Ghosts book have a nasty inquisitor that also appears in Eisenhorn?

Yup, in eisenhorn you meet a young interrogator heldane, he gets horrifically mauled when going undercover with eisenhorn in the first book. Eisenhorn comes across him again as an inquisitor in the third book. Fast forward 200? Years and you meet inquisitor heldane in gaunt's ghosts.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't there a reference to the Inquisitor in Ghost Maker in one of the Ravenor books? I want to say she was called Lilith.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Azran posted:

Wasn't there a reference to the Inquisitor in Ghost Maker in one of the Ravenor books? I want to say she was called Lilith.

I think she sends Zael to become a Grey Knight in The Emperor's Gift as well.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
You should maybe spoiler that last one

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Opinions on Warriors of the Imperium ot Angels of Death?

Looking to get into something I havent read since I just finished talon

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I heard a space marine appears in the Curse of Khaine.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Goddammit Abnett, when's the sequel to Pariah coming out?? Every time I look, the vague release date has moved back another few months.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Umiapik posted:

Goddammit Abnett, when's the sequel to Pariah coming out?? Every time I look, the vague release date has moved back another few months.

Every time you look, the clock gets reset. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP LOOKING!!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I thought Master of Mankind was supposed to be out pretty soon? I forget if thats ADB or Abnett though.

What are the upcoming titles?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Who knows, Black Library has the worst loving website.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

amuayse posted:

I heard a space marine appears in the Curse of Khaine.

Seriously?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

VanSandman posted:

Seriously?

Well a large silver knight that can shoot blue bolts of fire from hand and is a pseudo immortal wanderer of the warp and demon slayer.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It is Kaldor Draigo of the Grey Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Sigmar & Nagash re-retconned as the missing primarchs, then.

Maybe they're trolling now?