Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

My point was I was not hacking the game when I got God Leonardo.

Hector is not Proto-Ike at all. Like... they have no overlapping character traits, besides having blue hair and kicking rear end.

Hector is a "SCREW YOU I DO WHAT I WANT" rough and tumble angry guy who kills dudes who gets in his way and lets his emotions rule him.

Ike, with the exception of the Black Knight, is a calm and focused mercenary who lets his emotions guide him, rather than rule him. And is in no way boistrous or rowdy like Hector.

I am confused about this comparison, because they're completely unlike one another. They're just both likable...

They both desperately want nothing to do with politics and leadership, preferring instead to just learn how best to hit things. But they both wind up stuck with it anyways. They're not the same character at all, but you can draw parallels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

All characters with blue hair are blood related, this is a scientific fact.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FoolyCharged posted:

They both desperately want nothing to do with politics and leadership, preferring instead to just learn how best to hit things. But they both wind up stuck with it anyways. They're not the same character at all, but you can draw parallels.

Yeah but their reasons are entirely different. Ike doesn't want anything to do with it because he's never had anything to do with it. He doesn't understand it. Hector doesn't want anything to do with it because he hates it, and more to the point, eventually grows to accept it and be a fine leader.

Also Ike is fine in a leadership position, he just doesn't wish to be nobility.

You can draw a tonne of parallels across a lot of lords. Hector was never Proto-Ike, it's a simple case of "I like this lord, I like that lord, they both have blue hair, high strength, and kick rear end."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Calm, focused and allowing their emotions to guide them can also describe like every other lord in the series.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

Hector is not Proto-Ike at all. Like... they have no overlapping character traits, besides having blue hair and kicking rear end.

Hector is a "SCREW YOU I DO WHAT I WANT" rough and tumble angry guy who kills dudes who gets in his way and lets his emotions rule him.

Ike, with the exception of the Black Knight, is a calm and focused mercenary who lets his emotions guide him, rather than rule him. And is in no way boistrous or rowdy like Hector.

I am confused about this comparison, because they're completely unlike one another. They're just both likable...

The main point is that they're both written to be blunt, uncouth, physically-oriented, and emotionally open, in contrast to the elegant, blandly sensitive, genteel noblesse oblige of your various Marth copies. Hector and Ike get angry, often for very personal reasons, and they prefer the simpler world of battle than the more complex world of war. Visually, they're much heavier, not just in terms of stature, but also having more armor in their design, and wielding heavy weapons instead of rapiers.

They heightened the effect with Ike (who I agree is obviously his own character), even taking the radical step of making him not a prince, but the path he followed was paved by Hector, who just wasn't very princely.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As an aside. I'm not saying that if given the reason I'm going to make FoW in every Hard Mode chapter but...

I could if I wanted to.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The main point is that they're both written to be blunt, uncouth, physically-oriented, and emotionally open, in contrast to the elegant, blandly sensitive, genteel noblesse oblige of your various Marth copies. Hector and Ike get angry, often for very personal reasons, and they prefer the simpler world of battle than the more complex world of war. Visually, they're much heavier, not just in terms of stature, but also having more armor in their design, and wielding heavy weapons instead of rapiers.

They heightened the effect with Ike (who I agree is obviously his own character), even taking the radical step of making him not a prince, but the path he followed was paved by Hector, who just wasn't very princely.

I've known of their similarities, so much so that i believe that hector is blood related to Ike (i believe this is confirmed? yes? it is. it definitely is.)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Is Ike really designed any heavier than other lords? Obviously he is in 10, but he's not really wearing much armor in 9. He gains a shoulder pad once he reaches Lord, but Ephraim wore the same thing the whole time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually kinda curious what Japan likes so much about Marth. I assumed the series' love relation with him was mostly Kaga being Kaga and building up emotional attachment to the worlds and characters he's set up even when they don't have any depth. But then apparently fans like him too? idgi

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually kinda curious what Japan likes so much about Marth. I assumed the series' love relation with him was mostly Kaga being Kaga and building up emotional attachment to the worlds and characters he's set up even when they don't have any depth. But then apparently fans like him too? idgi

He was the first.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

All good Fire Emblem lords have had blue hair, Marth also has blue hair, people get confused and make mistakes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cake Attack posted:

lol no, but managing to have him attack and heal him despite the dragon having three range was far too difficult of a puzzle for me, because i was very dumb

e: or maybe all my healers were dead. there's no way i both recruited renault and kept him alive for that entire map, so it's possible

You are not alone in being a complete moron and restarting at the dragon. :hfive:

I was also too dumb to rescue someone out of an attack with three range and didn't have any elixers left to just have Athos tank it. I also did dumb poo poo like using Marcus (I know he's useful if you know what you're doing, I did not) and completely babying my lords to the point where they were all complete liabilities (they can't fight, they might die!).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Marth is basically Fire Emblem for Japan, also a quarter of the franchise has been his games at this point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm beginning to have brain issues as I swore I posted this. the enemy revision for chapter 1. It's... nowhere near as frightening as it might look.

EDIT: Also that village wont be destroyed when I redo the events. Give it time...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

I'm beginning to have brain issues as I swore I posted this. the enemy revision for chapter 1. It's... nowhere near as frightening as it might look.

Of course not, you still have Marcus.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Of course not, you still have Marcus.

Well he is a wall

No he doesn't come at level 8, this is just him after being leveled. He'll never be the best offensive power but he will be bringable to the end game. My mindset was making it so every character was viable, without them all being generic.

The fact that you're down to only 4 cavs also helps.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

At first FE7 was still at the front of my mind and I was thinking "Of course Marcus is good"

but then I remembered FE6 Marcus

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Onmi posted:

I'm beginning to have brain issues as I swore I posted this

That's because you posted it in the Final Fantasy thread :ssh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

That's because you posted it in the Final Fantasy thread :ssh:

Oh dear god time to go kill myself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Onmi posted:

Also only two characters have any real development, and are by far the best characters in the game.

Pelleas and...?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Pelleas and...?

Skrimir. The guy who starts hot headed, violent, angry and stupid and over the course of Part three calms down, learns to put the lives of his men first and thinks more.

Not the greatest arc, but the dude actually does change from when you first meet him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, fair enough. I tend to forget about Skrimr, since Lethe is my cat of choice, and both Mufasa and Giffca join you for the big finale. The big finale after you'd just been fielding 50-something characters, which let you pick like three.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Oh, fair enough. I tend to forget about Skrimr, since Lethe is my cat of choice, and both Mufasa and Giffca join you for the big finale. The big finale after you'd just been fielding 50-something characters, which let you pick like three.

Wht about Renning man? "I show up just in time for the end-game where you get to pick a certain amount of characters AND ONLY THEM"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought you were referring to Micaiah and Ellincia, who both ended up being better than I thought they'd be. Micaiah ends up getting hosed over by virtue of being plot relevant past part 3, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Momomo posted:

I thought you were referring to Micaiah and Ellincia, who both ended up being better than I thought they'd be. Micaiah ends up getting hosed over by virtue of being plot relevant past part 3, though.

No Elincia just repeats the end of her character arc from Path of Radiance and Micaiah is psychotic. Since she openly admits that the reason she doesn't stop doing what she does is it means that people wont love her anymore, followed by- I don't want to get into RD plot. especially once you hit Part 3 and it becomes so retarded...

Mind you, I still like Elincia, she's probably one of my favourite characters in the Radiant Games, and I'm openly sad she's not playable for longer in both of them. She just doesn't really develop all that much in RD. Skrimir and Pelleas both have whole arcs taking them from being very different characters to much better people. Elincia is more... rounding off her plot arc.

Also i'm going to just post Pelleas list of planned supports because some of them make me howl with laughter

Elincia x Pelleas - Sensible
Fiona x Pelleas - Could be interesting
Haar x Pelleas - Could have been very interesting
Kurthnaga x Pelleas - Given than Kurth things Pelleas is his nephew, another interesting one.
Leonardo x Pelleas - Well Leo was formerly a noble under the old reigime.
Lyre x Pelleas - What.
Nephenee x Pelleas - In stereo What.
Pelleas x Tauroneo - makes complete sense.

Seriously some of the cut supports are utterly bizzare, like Edwards and Sanaki. And then there's Danved and Fiona, and I swear with how Danved jumps between acting lucid and crazy and then seriousing the hell up (notably in PoR when talking to Ike.) I seriously expected them to reveal that he was Fiona's dad, the fourth old Rider of Daein who just up and disappeared.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I mean, some of the best supports in the series are the ones that mash two random characters together. Like Largo/Devdan.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

Well, I mean, some of the best supports in the series are the ones that mash two random characters together. Like Largo/Devdan.

Well yes I can agree with this, but still I have no honest to god idea if they were just throwing names at a dart board before they decided to scrap it, or if they legitimately planned to have this stuff be important.

Like Caineghis x Stefan would be hella interesting because Stefan's entire thing is being the leader of a village of branded... also maybe kind of being the descendent of one of the three heroes. And Caineghis for the most part is trying to move forward with the times.

Shinon x Mist seems like it would be about the latter trying to find out why the former hates her brother, and Shinon x Sigrun... I have no idea. I'm legitimately curious as to what it would be about. Though we could always just assume the good old Fire Emblem standby for Archer/Pegasus supports.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Watch out for arrows.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Onmi posted:

Shinon x Sigrun... I have no idea. I'm legitimately curious as to what it would be about. Though we could always just assume the good old Fire Emblem standby for Archer/Pegasus supports.

It'd be kind of funny seeing that coming from the chief pegasus knight and series best archer instead of the usual rabble.

The best supports tend to be the ones with characters that have no prior relationship, I think. Like Shinon/Janaff wasn't exactly obvious, and that one does explain why he hates Ike!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Also i'm going to just post Pelleas list of planned supports because some of them make me howl with laughter

Kurthnaga x Pelleas - Given than Kurth things Pelleas is his nephew, another interesting one.
Lyre x Pelleas - What.

Seriously some of the cut supports are utterly bizzare, like Edwards and Sanaki. And then there's Danved and Fiona, and I swear with how Danved jumps between acting lucid and crazy and then seriousing the hell up (notably in PoR when talking to Ike.) I seriously expected them to reveal that he was Fiona's dad, the fourth old Rider of Daein who just up and disappeared.
Supports in FE tend to follow a few patterns:

--Serious-minded and/or potential character development for one or both characters. (Paired endings tend to fall here often)
--Friendly/run-of-mill supports. (Occasionally produces a paired ending)
--Wacky comedy option. (Think Rhys/Kieran or Lute/Knoll)

That said, the Lyre and Nephenee supports sound like the comedy options, or in Lyre's case, additional character development for Pelleas or Lyre (probably more for Lyre given how she's PoR!Lethe Mk.II in-game). Actually, the Nephenee support also could have fallen into the serious-minded type (country farm girl meeting a man who was poor initially and then had to become a noble himself overnight), depending on how it was going to be written. They sound insane on paper, but if you think about it for a second, they make some sense after thought.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Supports in FE tend to follow a few patterns:

--Serious-minded and/or potential character development for one or both characters. (Paired endings tend to fall here often)
--Friendly/run-of-mill supports. (Occasionally produces a paired ending)
--Wacky comedy option. (Think Rhys/Kieran or Lute/Knoll)

That said, the Lyre and Nephenee supports sound like the comedy options, or in Lyre's case, additional character development for Pelleas or Lyre (probably more for Lyre given how she's PoR!Lethe Mk.II in-game). Actually, the Nephenee support also could have fallen into the serious-minded type (country farm girl meeting a man who was poor initially and then had to become a noble himself overnight), depending on how it was going to be written. They sound insane on paper, but if you think about it for a second, they make some sense after thought.

Oh someone wrote up a Support for Nephenee and Pelleas that was pretty good, so I wasn't saing it was impossible, it's just the kind of pairing with knowledge of the vanilla game where nobody really interacts with each other it becomes "Buh?!"

Like Edward x Stefan? That was clearly planned to be a comedy support, when I went and jotted it down, I wrote it as a comedy support, Edward making Stefan his swordmaster without consulting him first.

Volke x Tauroneo? I thought that would have something to do with finding his son's family (Which given the way they were setting it up by pointing out that Boyd's father was from Daein, and was in a bad way up until he died, and Rolf resembled him in Tauroneo's eyes. I thought the obvious conclusion was that)

Soren x Titania's conversation I think would be more comedic, since they're the two who are really keeping the mercs running.

Haar x Heather, another comedy one, and it writes itself. She thinks he's an easy mark because he's sleeping all the time, Haar is hyper comptent when it looks like he's sleeping.

Ilyana x Zihark may actually have concluded the overtones of them being into one another. Zihark after all is the one character who manages to get Ilyana to go through a conversation without mentioning food!

It is just fun to go down this list and go like... What would Leanne x Edward be? Or Gatrie x Rafiel? Heather x Mist? Haar x Volug? Makalov x Naesala people! They denied us Makalov interacting with freaking Naesala.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

AradoBalanga posted:

That said, the Lyre and Nephenee supports sound like the comedy options, or in Lyre's case, additional character development for Pelleas or Lyre (probably more for Lyre given how she's PoR!Lethe Mk.II in-game).

That and well, the fact Pelleas is for a while rascist as hell against Laguz and Branded.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Onmi posted:

No Elincia just repeats the end of her character arc from Path of Radiance and Micaiah is psychotic. Since she openly admits that the reason she doesn't stop doing what she does is it means that people wont love her anymore, followed by- I don't want to get into RD plot. especially once you hit Part 3 and it becomes so retarded...

Mind you, I still like Elincia, she's probably one of my favourite characters in the Radiant Games, and I'm openly sad she's not playable for longer in both of them. She just doesn't really develop all that much in RD. Skrimir and Pelleas both have whole arcs taking them from being very different characters to much better people. Elincia is more... rounding off her plot arc.

Lyre x Pelleas - What.

These were the supports that were originally going to be in RD, but were cut for the lovely ones, right? All the more reason for them to remake the games...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

That and well, the fact Pelleas is for a while rascist as hell against Laguz and Branded.

Yeah but that's literally everyone from Daein. Besides, didn't we already do the old Racist meets Racist thing in PoR with Shinon?

mabels big day posted:

These were the supports that were originally going to be in RD, but were cut for the lovely ones, right? All the more reason for them to remake the games...

Yes and while most of them were continuations of PoR ones there are of course new ones... and then there's Oliver

Oliver x Rafiel
Oliver x Reyson
Oliver x Tanith
Oliver x Tormod
Oliver x Danved - Though I wonder why, he doesn't have any relationship with Danved. Maybe the latter heard of him from Devdan
Leanne x Oliver
Mordecai x Oliver
Naesala x Oliver

Most of those look like they end with Oliver getting kicked in the taint.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 4, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

Oliver x Danved - Though I wonder why, he doesn't have any relationship with Danved. Maybe the latter heard of him from Devdan

He probably would have mistaken him for Devdan, Danved gets that a lot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yes and while most of them were continuations of PoR ones there are of course new ones... and then there's Oliver

Oliver x Rafiel
Oliver x Reyson
Oliver x Tanith
Oliver x Tormod
Leanne x Oliver
Mordecai x Oliver
Naesala x Oliver

Most of those look like they end with Oliver getting kicked in the taint.
I now have this image of Reyson piledriving Oliver into the ground and it is beautifully hilarious.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm really happy to have Fire Emblem 7 on my WiiU, but tonight is dedicated to slogging through Lyn's mode so I can have some fun tomorrow. :sigh:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FE7 is separated into different parts right? People keep saying Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector mode, so I assume that is the case. Will I be using totally different units in each one?

I have reached the part where I'm learning about items that upgrade my units, is there a limited amount of these, and is it recommended to try and get my units to level 20 before I use them?

edit: Errr... do I HAVE to give the knights crest to this old man? He seems cool but I don't know. I don't seem to have a choice though

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 5, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

mabels big day posted:

FE7 is separated into different parts right? People keep saying Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector mode, so I assume that is the case. Will I be using totally different units in each one?

I have reached the part where I'm learning about items that upgrade my units, is there a limited amount of these, and is it recommended to try and get my units to level 20 before I use them?

edit: Errr... do I HAVE to give the knights crest to this old man? He seems cool but I don't know. I don't seem to have a choice though

Yes. Lyn's story is the prologue, Eliwood is the main route and when you finish, you can do Hector's route, which is Eliwood's but with more chapters and features Hector as the protagonist. There are no unique units, save for like 2 in Hector's route. I believe you can buy promotion items from secret shops and yes, get to level 20 first. And yes, the knight's crest is forced on Wallace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Basically, Lyn mode is the tutorial. Units keep their levels and stats and such when you move on to the next campaign. Eliwood and Hector modes are two variations on the same campaign, with some different dialogue and levels - you unlock Hector mode once you beat Eliwood's campaign once.

There is a limited amount of promotional items, with the exception of a secret shop that sells them. Getting your units to 20 before promoting is always the best option, since their leveling will slow down a fair bit after promotion.