Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, just binged through this entire thing. That ending. loving absurd.

I hope Slaine graduates from bumbling moron idiot to bumbling evil overlord, it seems like the natural progression here, especially considering the look he has in the spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kanos posted:

But Inaho isn't actually a cold logical survivalist.

Alright, let's agree to disagree w/Inaho's motivation in S1. Reminds me. I really want a flashback episode where we can see him as a normal HS kid attending classes or going to work p/t at the local 7/11. Surely, he had to have other regular hobbies, right?

Koopa Kid posted:

Just finished this. I had fun but man, I'm getting tired of high-school-level nihilism endings from recent-ish anime.

Lately grimdark anime series have been a thing (related to IRL, who knows?) and for me I would prefer a lighter/cheerier story yet idek what to call the ending of S1.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Grim Up North posted:

Duncan Inaho

Yes, bring on the gholas.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Man, just binged through this entire thing. That ending. loving absurd.

I hope Slaine graduates from bumbling moron idiot to bumbling evil overlord, it seems like the natural progression here, especially considering the look he has in the spoilers.

Slaine committed suicide between seasons and won't be mentioned again in S2 outside of the pre-opening scene for the first episode.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Slaine committed suicide between seasons and won't be mentioned again in S2 outside of the pre-opening scene for the first episode.

I don't believe you, because "suicide" implies he intended to kill himself, so there's no way he could have pulled it off.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

senae posted:

I don't believe you, because "suicide" implies he intended to kill himself, so there's no way he could have pulled it off.
He died on the way to his home planet.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

senae posted:

He was putting his pants on by himself one morning. Blood everywhere. Those nefarious zippers were clearly out to get him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

senae posted:

I hope bowlcut returns as well

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's not that weird for Inaho to have survived, considering he's an Abnormal Survivor.

I have a feeling the promotional images are just showcasing dead characters that are actually dead - for what reason, who knows. If it was just the Inaho image, sure, I'd be lead on to believe he's alive next season - but having count blondula as well? I have a feeling they aren't alive and really are dead, for goodsies.

Edit: SPOILER - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBw_1Hu8Enc

loving I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID, GOD DAMNIT

WAIT THE gently caress UP: SECOND EDIT!

My theory may actually be correct still.

http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2014/11/aldnoah-zero-season-2-teaser-new-poster-raises-questions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBw_1Hu8Enc Aldnoah season 2 trailer released by Aniplex

If you take into consideration what I stated, Inaho and the Count could really be dead. The princess though? It seems there is a picture of her in a wheel chair, and the trailer seems to depict Slaine working "with the princess's blessing".

Take this hosed up scenario: Princess doesn't die, but Slaine really DOES kill Inaho. However, the princess is knocked out and doesn't remember what happened (because of a gunshot to her cranium, duh), and neither does she know that Slaine was around to witness what happened. Neither does she know, too, that motherfucking Slaine killed Inaho - and to top it off, what if he DOESN'T loving tell her.

I can't imagine her giving Slaine her blessing if she knew he killed Inaho.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 4, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Runefaust posted:

I have a feeling the promotional images are just showcasing dead characters that are actually dead - for what reason, who knows. If it was just the Inaho image, sure, I'd be lead on to believe he's alive next season - but having count blondula as well? I have a feeling they aren't alive and really are dead, for goodsies.

Edit: SPOILER - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBw_1Hu8Enc

loving I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID, GOD DAMNIT

WAIT THE gently caress UP: SECOND EDIT!

My theory may actually be correct still.

http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2014/11/aldnoah-zero-season-2-teaser-new-poster-raises-questions/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBw_1Hu8Enc Aldnoah season 2 trailer released by Aniplex

If you take into consideration what I stated, Inaho and the Count could really be dead. The princess though? It seems there is a picture of her in a wheel chair, and the trailer seems to depict Slaine working "with the princess's blessing".

Take this hosed up scenario: Princess doesn't die, but Slaine really DOES kill Inaho. However, the princess is knocked out and doesn't remember what happened (because of a gunshot to her cranium, duh), and neither does she know that Slaine was around to witness what happened. Neither does she know, too, that motherfucking Slaine killed Inaho - and to top it off, what if he DOESN'T loving tell her.

Wasn't the one with the count a photoshop?

edit: spoilered just in case I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Is it so wrong that I just want another season of Inaho beating up overconfident supermechs with Aldnoah's version of a training Zaku while good music plays?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Inaho will be "alive" but secretly his brain was replaced with a computer. No one but the sister notices and everyone just thinks she lost it.

:v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Runefaust posted:

Difficult to say unless they show us the actual scene when it takes place as I can say I'm here under the President's blessing and no one can prove he didn't actually :v:

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Prepare your wallets.

KG-6 Sleipnir - Orange

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I bet it'd be sold out in a few hours too. Hmm I always thought the mecha in A/Z were very plain vs gundam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think a plain mecha actually exists. Maybe it's just less cartoony? No weird giant V on its forehead, nor is it wearing a gasmask or anything like that. The leg fins are pretty distinctive, but otherwise there's not much on it that really stands out as something you wouldn't normally see on a giant robot.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
The most realistic you're going to get in terms of actual giant robots is probably the main one from Robotics;Notes, except I don't think it's the sort of thing people would buy figs of...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

I don't think a plain mecha actually exists. Maybe it's just less cartoony? No weird giant V on its forehead, nor is it wearing a gasmask or anything like that. The leg fins are pretty distinctive, but otherwise there's not much on it that really stands out as something you wouldn't normally see on a giant robot.

Indeed although I miss the impractical metal wings on some of the gundam. The main idea is trying to make the main mecha look unique during epic space battles with nameless others.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nina what are you doing

stop that

The closer the 2nd half gets, the less confident I am that it will be worth watching. Still, I'll put up with it for a while even if it does tank because I like Shimura's designs and it's fun to see them animated.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Aldnoah is a Geass/Valvrave-style trainwreck anime with all of the manic energy and spectacular music, even better visuals, and none of the sleaze. It is a rare and precious thing, and should be treasured.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Aldnoah is a Geass/Valvrave-style trainwreck anime with all of the manic energy and spectacular music, even better visuals, and none of the sleaze. It is a rare and precious thing, and should be treasured.

I've not watched either of the listed anime series above but I'm just here for the glorious fanart. It's amusing (to me at least) how there's so much of it when we don't know much about the cast from the series. And no I'm not going to looking for translations of the fan guide book or artbooks either.

So far:
Slaine: Screws up a lot. Obsessed with Seylum.
Inaho: Has an older sister. Enjoys killing super mechas and making breakfast. Best Pokerface in the series.
Inaho's Sister: Has a mecha pilot prodigy for a younger brother. Worries about his love life.
PTSD soldier: Is alcoholic and useless 99.99% of the time he appears in scene.
Seylum: Is a princess/figurehead of Martians. Has mysterious powers. Semi-Immortal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just want kid chirico to keep killing Super Robots with his lovely trainer mech while good/catchy music plays. Now with Solid Snake eyepatch. I don't care if the rest is stupid.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
An English cover singer's musical reaction to looking at the second ending lyrics.

They made that fit to the tune pretty well!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

To each his own, but I think that description tells us surprisingly little about what each show did better or worse than the others. More specifically, what they all have in common is being mecha soap operas. Whether or not you want to approach that type of show in a "trainwreck" mindset is another story. I'd argue their respective qualities, traits and flaws are very different. Which is why, at least in my case, the viewing experience hasn't really been equivalent.

The biggest issue I have with Aldnoah Zero is a relative lack of investment in the main cast of characters. A lot of things have happened, but I don't feel strongly attached to anyone and my interest in seeing what comes next is kind of limited. I'm dangerously close to indifference.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If there is a timeskip, I hope Marito has had a chance to have his ptsd treated properly. He desperately wanted to help, but his condition just got worse and worse the more he tried to force it.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

This is perfect :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Have a merry aldnoah xmas

and this too

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

drat, I don't even celebrate holidays other than NYE but I love holiday fanart.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I also watched this through. it was very good and that ending.

Crunchy roll updated its cover picture and the new episode to due to release 24 hours from now, maybe

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Not exactly unpredictable, but it's still a solid show. Nice to have it back.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

5 minutes in and we've got Sir Slaine Troyard, Evil princess then straight to the beach and swimsuits

this is going to be good, I feel

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh my god cyborg inaho

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Okay, that's a bloody good start. It doesn't feel like there were that many asspulls, I can kinda buy most of this happening in the setting. It's mostly reasonable crazy bullshit instead of sudden Deus-ex-machina crazy bullshit, but it's still crazy bullshit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

While I'm not entirely convinced, i'm convinced enough to stick with this for the duration. Everything that happened made me go "hm, ok yeah I can see that" as opposed to "oh come on!"
Stupidly, the biggest thing I'm bummed about (and this actually started last season) is Inko having obvious feelings for Inaho. Nana x Inko 4 lyfe :rip: I'm mostly kidding about that, but I was taken in by Shimura's drawings.

Speaking of; she's been counting down til the new season starts and here's the launch:

Not really spoilers, but I'll err on the side of caution.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dat moment when 'Keep on keeping on' kicked in. :allears:

Even after obtaining the power of Aldnoah, Inaho is still Chirico-ing it up in his crappy orange trainer and murdering Martians/seeing through enemy conspiracies by being a gigantic sperg.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Darth Walrus posted:

a gigantic sperg.

A gigantic ROBOT sperg no less!. This is simultaneously the worst and the best anime.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

So how exactly does the aldnoah virus spread? Through a kiss and drop of blood or what?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Not a single loving person died at the end of last season. I think that actually took more balls to try and pull of than if they had killed everyone.

a kitten posted:

Stupidly, the biggest thing I'm bummed about (and this actually started last season) is Inko having obvious feelings for Inaho. Nana x Inko 4 lyfe :rip: I'm mostly kidding about that, but I was taken in by Shimura's drawings.

Same, except not kidding.

Bernardo Orel posted:

So how exactly does the aldnoah virus spread? Through a kiss and drop of blood or what?

Blood, the blood splatter on his face was washed into his mouth by the :cry:. Not entirely sure why that necessitated a kissCPR flashback though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 10, 2015

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Haha! This show!

I'm all in Aldnoah. I'll ride this crazy train all the way until the end.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok, that was a surprisingly solid opener. I was convinced the story would be hosed since apparently not a single person died from that finale, but that was some brilliant writing, the way he kept them all alive. That said, you do have to stretch your sci-fi imagination to wrap your head around it, but I'm willing to believe it.

• Locked thread