Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

mabels big day posted:

I've decided to use the other fighter, because he is cooler.
man just look at how wrong you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

its just an fe romhack by goons

it isn't a goofy thing like awful fantasy it's just a romhack, like last promise or whatever. (though hopefully not *like* last promise)

How'd you go about doing that? I thought FE was hard to hack or something but that could've just been a fever dream.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The GBA Fire Emblems are some of the most-romhacked games in existence, second to the early Marios maybe.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Friends don't let friends use fighters.

e: Except Nolan. And Barst. And the FE5 ones. And

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I always use at least one Fighter because I'm a weirdo who likes to have class diversity and as such try to have one of each class.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
One of the things I tried hard was making the characters that most deemed 'useless' worthwhile. Both Ward and Lot are amazing from test plays, the former has good strength and skill, but lower speed, so he's guaranteed to hit but he might not double, and the latter has good speed and defense, But his strength may not be as high, and he might need to use the more accurate axes. But regardless, I've never regretted using them in test plays, they are strong contenders for promotion (since once again, we only have one promotion item) and on Chapter 21 Hard they become Dracoknight killing machines with bows.

Oh right, the reason to use Archers instead of Nomads, Nomads get more movement and canto, Archers get 30 Crit and 2-3 range bows.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I always use at least one Fighter because I'm a weirdo who likes to have class diversity and as such try to have one of each class.

Same but replace cavaliers and fighters with all the pegasus knights and wyvern riders

also it's canter

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Onmi posted:

Archers get 30 Crit and 2-3 range bows.

This is one of the things I feel like Radiant Dawn tried and almost got right with the final Archer promotion. It was too little too late, but I'm glad to see you've done it generally. The nice boost to offensive power will hopefully balance out their lack of counter attacking.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm convinced that the developers at IntSys think that Archers are Knights are far stronger then they really are.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's really only the GBA games where the fighters are universally terrible. Every other game (except 1) they are decent to great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's really only the GBA games where the fighters are universally terrible. Every other game (except 1) they are decent to great.

They aren't terrible, there's just better choices.

The Shortest Path posted:

This is one of the things I feel like Radiant Dawn tried and almost got right with the final Archer promotion. It was too little too late, but I'm glad to see you've done it generally. The nice boost to offensive power will hopefully balance out their lack of counter attacking.

Generally my mindset, in essence, because you can't hard code a class to change how an item acts, there's just an entire X Longbow set of weapons for every weapon except for the ultimate bows (which is 1-3 and avaliable for both classes) That are locked to the Archer/Sniper class

Archers can still use the regular bows, and they're avaliable along side one another in the stores, but that was the best way I could think of to do it.

Wolt is also the only 'Vanilla Archer' in the game. because Dorothy is a soldier now, so Klein and Igrene are the other archers and both are snipers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm convinced that the developers at IntSys think that Archers are Knights are far stronger then they really are.

I think a more likely explanation is that resonance and meeting player expectations takes a backseat to balancing around the small subset of players who are actually good at the game. Armor Knights get a lot stronger when you progress through a map slowly!

I got nothing for archers, though. Recent games have been moving towards making javelins and hand axes suck, which is a start, but archers remain lovely mages with nothing going for them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I think a more likely explanation is that resonance and meeting player expectations takes a backseat to balancing around the small subset of players who are actually good at the game. Armor Knights get a lot stronger when you progress through a map slowly!

I got nothing for archers, though. Recent games have been moving towards making javelins and hand axes suck, which is a start, but archers remain lovely mages with nothing going for them.

However the "Armor Knights get a lot stronger when you progress through the maps slowly" doesn't work consistently when you consider the games with ranking systems that grade you on the turns you take. And really anything an Armor can do, a Cav can do, and faster.

It's just an example of IntSys really not getting it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cheetah7071 posted:

Armor Knights get a lot stronger when you progress through a map slowly!

The big problem with this is that fire emblem games tend to put you on a timer if you want the loot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

The correct answer is neither, Raven and Hector are both miles better.

If you really want to use one though, pick Bartre. He's slightly more fighter-y and getting him promoted by a certain point gets you his wife Karla who's a decent assassin

That last bit is the real point in using him. Gotta collect 'em all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If Dorcas and Bartre are turning out good for you feel free to use them and ignore this thread's weird dick-tugging over tiers. Dorcas's growths are pretty bad but I've had plenty of runs where he turned out good, and the game isn't hard enough that you need to min/max.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Turns out I get a really cool pirate instead so gently caress both of them

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

mabels big day posted:

This is the right choice, as Pirates and Berserkers are amazing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

How Rude posted:

This is the right choice, as Pirates and Berserkers are amazing.

Fighter = 1 axe.

Pirate = 2 axes.

Its pretty obvious.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

mabels big day posted:

There's an arena on the same stage and honestly it's hard to kill Dorcas and Bartre in the arena so see if their growths are good imo.

If you luck out you literally get to run axe bros the team the rest of the game.

Dream team of Hector, Dorcas, Dart, Bartre, Lowen, Oswin, and Raven. If you're REALLY lucky maybe Hawkeye, or Sain/Kent. Unfortunately Geitz can never join the dream team.

I love axes in blazing sword so much.

Terper posted:

It's me, I'm the motherfucker who has never used either Dart or Raven.

At first I didn't either, but then I found out Dart was the coolest sea dog alive and Hero's have some of the coolest animations (in my opinion).

And unfortunately there's only one Hero in the game, because Harken isn't a real character. It's like he's an alternate universe character where you made bad life decisions and didn't get Karel. Which is too bad because I like his green/blonde hair color palette and his S rank with Isadora.

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 5, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's me, I'm the motherfucker who has never used either Dart or Raven.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

However the "Armor Knights get a lot stronger when you progress through the maps slowly" doesn't work consistently when you consider the games with ranking systems that grade you on the turns you take. And really anything an Armor can do, a Cav can do, and faster.

It's just an example of IntSys really not getting it.

As I said, I think it's more important for them that they match player expectations that the guy in big heavy armor is slow as hell than that every class be carefully balanced.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The ranking system in FE7 is double bullshit and should be extremely ignored.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

B-b-but muh Serenes LTC run records!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Bongo Bill posted:

But it promotes doing boring counter intuitive things like not selling gems and hoarding everything rather than playing with your toys!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mabels big day posted:

The only problem with Dart is that he uses the generic sprite for berserkers instead of the kickass unique sprite of a guy you get later. Can't have everything, I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
But if you use both, you get to see both their sprites.

I have to wonder why they bothered making him unique animations. They don't usually go to that much effort, especially for a character that doesn't really matter much at all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Samba De Amigo posted:

Dream team of Hector, Dorcas, Dart, Bartre, Lowen, Oswin, and Raven. If you're REALLY lucky maybe Hawkeye, or Sain/Kent. Unfortunately Geitz can never join the dream team.

I disagree, my last Geitz hit level 20 1 point shy of the strength cap with a bunch of skill, speed, and defense backing him up. Only bad part was that he didn't make it to S rank.

This is back in FE6 but I think the best unit I've ever had in a GBA game (barring FE8 postgame) was this Clarine:

Her rate of Magic gain dropped off after level 10 (she had 16) but by god was she dodgy. And 18 magic is plenty to hit a lot of things with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Momomo posted:

I have to wonder why they bothered making him unique animations. They don't usually go to that much effort, especially for a character that doesn't really matter much at all.

More interesting is because all games are the basis of the same game (No really IntSys basically built FE7 ontop of 6 and 8 ontop of 7. There's a lot on both games in the data that's just their.) they removed the way to handle unique anmiations from 8.

The only way I could spoof it in 8 or 6 would be to create an entire new class with the new animation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rankings in FE kinda suck, but at least it doesn't actively count as your source of money and EXP.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There's also only what, four games in the entire series with ranking systems outside of bonus maps? And the last one to have rankings was over a decade and 6 games ago?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

There's also only what, four games in the entire series with ranking systems outside of bonus maps? And the last one to have rankings was over a decade and 6 games ago?

5 that I can remember. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

5 that I can remember. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

8 didn't have ranks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

8 didn't have ranks.

Makes sense I guess, then yeah, 4,5,6,7. PoR had BEXP as a reason to move quickly, which I liked.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Momomo posted:

Well there was very little sprite work to do for FE7, considering that most was just cribbed straight from 6. A bunch of characters got unique outfits as well.

Boo to whoever said Geitz was ungood when Geitz is in fact best axe man.

By the way, isn't the only way to promote Dart to use an easily missable item? It'd be fair to warn of that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Well there was very little sprite work to do for FE7, considering that most was just cribbed straight from 6. A bunch of characters got unique outfits as well.

Boo to whoever said Geitz was ungood when Geitz is in fact best axe man.

By the way, isn't the only way to promote Dart to use an easily missable item? It'd be fair to warn of that.

good point

For those playing fe7 and wishing to promote your pirate:
His promotion item is only available from being found in the desert chapter or from a single (secret?)shop in one of the branching maps.

e: the shop is secret and is in 23E(A)/24H(A) if you miss the ocean seal in Chapter 22E / 23H(The desert map)

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kajeesus posted:

Yep, Ocean Seal in the Desert Chapter.

E: also, you get the Gaiden by getting 700 EXP in that Chapter.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you can use an earth seal too right?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nope, Earth Seal is a combination of Elysian Whip, Guiding Ring, Hero Crest, and Knight Crest. It can't promote thieves either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

huh

when i played the randomizer i was able to promote my brigands, and i thought i'd done it with an earth seal. maybe I hacked in two ocean seals instead