Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

exquisite tea posted:

I often feel that way about Equilibrium, which is by all accounts a profoundly stupid movie, but there's something undeniably watchable about it.

I wish I thought of it first because Equilibrium is the perfect example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Versus is one of those zany movies that isn't interesting a second time.

That's definitely it, yet I absolutely adore Survive Style 5+.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Since y'all were talking about Jurassic Park I will bring up the 13th Warrior. It isn't great but it is definitely the best Beowulf movie I've seen.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
13th Warrior is a flawless masterpiece compared to that Pathfinder movie from 2007.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vakal posted:

13th Warrior is a flawless masterpiece compared to that Pathfinder movie from 2007.

I haven't seen 13th Warrior (yet) but Pathfinder is awesome. So is Equilibrium.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
13th Warrior is a legit movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Metallurgy-lawl at the scene where he makes a scimitar by taking a broad sword to a grinder, though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If only it were available on blu-ray. :smith:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I enjoy Survive Style 5+ on rewatches though some part of my brain insists it shouldn't stand up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Coincidentally, Versus is one of those movies that's not very good overall, but has some fantastic moments.

Versus is a movie made by a guy who thinks Highlander, The Evil Dead and Escape From New York are the best movies of all time and could only be improved on if they were all one movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Versus is a movie made by a guy who thinks Highlander, The Evil Dead and Escape From New York are the best movies of all time and could only be improved on if they were all one movie.

I need to watch this movie now.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jedit posted:

And he's right, even if the execution thereof isn't fantastic I'll have to give it a shot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

This is almost the same process that lead to Doomsday.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snak posted:

I need to watch this movie now.

Well, luckily for you, you only really need to watch the first 20 minutes, then you can turn it off.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

To provide an easy test for if you'll enjoy Versus, here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgdB-n71is

The movie is that, for two hours.

I'll always love Versus for doing action scenes that that stylishly, entertainingly and frequently (seriously like half the run time is fight scenes and the rest is people walking to and from fight scenes) with almost no money or resources. I'm pretty sure the script was written in the car ride to the woods, though, since there's stuff like the prisoner yelling at the sky so loud that he has a sword now.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Woah that movie has a cool trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M0fIbx-irk

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am still a fan of Ice-T's Surviving the Game, even if it is a Most Dangerous Game ripoff.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DoombatINC posted:

To provide an easy test for if you'll enjoy Versus, here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgdB-n71is

The movie is that, for two hours.

I'll always love Versus for doing action scenes that that stylishly, entertainingly and frequently (seriously like half the run time is fight scenes and the rest is people walking to and from fight scenes) with almost no money or resources. I'm pretty sure the script was written in the car ride to the woods, though, since there's stuff like the prisoner yelling at the sky so loud that he has a sword now.

The monkey guy continuing to pull more and more improbably large handguns out of his back pocket as the movie ran on was the best gag.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

blackguy32 posted:

I am still a fan of Ice-T's Surviving the Game, even if it is a Most Dangerous Game ripoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZlZxtNll8
This is objectively the best ripoff of The Most Dangerous Game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Under the vegetable posted:

Lacks Gary Busey. Your assessment is debateable. :colbert:

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Ice T and Leguizamo should do a Kickstarter to fund a crossover film.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Under the vegetable posted:

Wrong

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

This. Wilford Brimley is Jean Claude Van Damme's uncle, and Lance Henrikson is hunting him because he hosed up his "I hunt men for sport" guided hunt business.

Lance Henrikson uses this gun:

Van Damme uses this gun:

and this arrow point is not in the movie:

Did I mention it's a loving JOHN WOO MOVIE?!
so good.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Was It Really That Good? Yes. Let's watch Hard Target!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Wilford Brimley is a drunken horse archer and savate master who lives in the Bayou. Van Damme is "Chance Boudreaux" a man with a hairdo like a vagrant michael bolton who punches snakes in the face.

No one cares if you hunt armed service veterans in Louisiana.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 5, 2014

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Yes it is. Lance Henrikson holds it to Yancy Butler's neck.

moller posted:

No one cares if you hunt armed service veterans in Louisiana.

The Vets were unarmed and living on the streets, the idea being that nobody cares about dead hobos. Also the local coroner was falsifying the autopsies.

Also Arnold Vosloo is in it.

Why the gently caress do I remember all this about this lovely film?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ultrabindu posted:

Why the gently caress do I remember all this about this lovely film?

Because it's AMAZING.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

Was It Really That Good? Yes. Let's watch Hard Target!

Listen, Hard Target is great and full of unnecessary slow-motion scenes that are both hilarious and awesome, but the fact is that Lionheart is the best JCVD movie. :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ultrabindu posted:

Yes it is. Lance Henrikson holds it to Yancy Butler's neck.

I may be mistaken, but I thought all the arrow points in the film looked like this:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Snak posted:

This. Wilford Brimley is Jean Claude Van Damme's uncle, and Lance Henrikson is hunting him because he hosed up his "I hunt men for sport" guided hunt business.

Lance Henrikson uses this gun:

Van Damme uses this gun:

Did I mention it's a loving JOHN WOO MOVIE?!
so good.

I don't think anyone has ever called Hard Target a bad movie, It's almost as good as Face/Off

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think anyone has ever called Hard Target a bad movie, It's almost as good as Face/Off

i'd definitely call Hard Target a bad movie, but it's the best kind of bad movie. also, dope Ted Raimi cameo.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Hard Target is a bad movie in the same way that Tango & Cash is a bad movie, which is to say that it's a great loving movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DoombatINC posted:

Hard Target is a bad movie in the same way that Tango & Cash is a bad movie, which is to say that it's a great loving movie.

The "best" part of Tango & Cash is when they get their Tactical Assault Minivan.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Snak posted:

The "best" part of Tango & Cash is when they get their Tactical Assault Minivan.

There's a euro industrial band I listen to, Violent Work of Art, named after that battle wagon :xd:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a winning formula!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Since y'all were talking about Jurassic Park I will bring up the 13th Warrior. It isn't great but it is definitely the best Beowulf movie I've seen.

I kind of like the animated Beowulf movie by Zemeckis, even though it fucks over the source material somewhat fierce. I read a fair bit about the epic and haven't encountered a single instance where "Hrothgar is Grendel's father" was part of the reading, yet it consistently pops up in movies. It was presented in the animated movie, in the one with Christopher Lambert and the one with Gerald Butler nobody has ever heard of.

Pisses me the gently caress off.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I really don't know why, but I loving love 13th Warrior.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Kulkasha posted:

I really don't know why, but I loving love 13th Warrior.

Me too, feels more like a Conan story rather than Beowulf though.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

lovely movies don't have fantastic moments.

I'm guessing you've never seen a Canon Group picture before, have you?

http://youtu.be/GOJoLaxokzM

http://youtu.be/pBMZkk1OCyw

G-III fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

I haven't seen Versus so I don't know how it relates exactly but Survive Style 5+ is one of my favorite movies and I think I can explain why it is more than just another wacky movie. Despite all the outlandish stuff Survive Style 5+ has a strong coherent core theme that it engages seriously.
Basically the movie is about accepting your lot in life and this theme connects all the stories. For example, we see the positive results of being accepting instead of fighting what you have been dealt in the bird father and the negative results of accepting too late in the guy who wants to kill his wife.
Usually I would be more careful when talking about the meaning of a movie but I have seen it countless times and it is not particularly subtle about it. The killer literally asks: What is your function in life? This question could also be about finding yourself but the stories connotations lean more towards acceptance. Furthermore, I have read that accepting your place in life is an important signifier of becoming an adult in Japanese culture.

Personally I wouldn't try to shoehorn the style of the movie into this explanation. I think it shows that the director had a background in commercials and just enjoys these little funny vignettes not to speak of the set design.

• Locked thread