Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Isn't the new weird thing this special bra that allegedly makes your tits bigger and pussy tighter but it's somehow making people sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Does anyone have good leads on beginning SCUBA certification in the Philippines? Looking for some place cheap with beaches, gf has been to Thailand 3 times already so looking for places that aren't that.

I promised I'd try a relaxing beach vacation for part of it. We'll have about 2 weeks in the last half of February.

Tossing up between the Philippines and Vietnam, but considering others. I'll probably never actually get to Thailand.

I got certified in Dumaguete with Adventure Dive Shop. I liked the city, its a good size. No typical white sand beaches though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Vitamins are much cheaper in north America and overseas

OK that makes sense. I've found it's also a good way to make sure I have extra luggage space on the return trip :v:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Horatius Bonar posted:

Vitamin D is also illegal in Thailand for some reason.

Whaaat. Wtf? Do they think people will OD on vitamin D, because of the sun?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Southeast Asian countries banning vitamin D is particularly ironic if you think about it, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can actually OD on vitamin D (and not in the sense that you can have to much water -- it's one of the four major oil soluble vitamins which means your body isn't great at eliminating excesses, which means you can over supplement yourself with vitamin D, which would cause kidney failure if continued over time due to excess vit d keeping too much calcium in the blood which would erode kidney tissue) but I don't think that's the reason for the prohibition. I don't know of any good reasons personally to restrict vitamin D but you do see it listed like a drug in some places.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

This has always gone on to some generally almost negligible degree. I won't really believe its on the upswing until someone in this thread confirms it though -- it's exactly the kind of hysterical nonsense that the Thaivisa crowd would cry from every rooftop where it were real or not.

Not saying it isn't happening, just saying I need better confirmation than the drama queens and broken humps I suspect are currently taking about this so much.

Reindeer said he was going to go check it out but he never filed his report.
Even then, do you think a photocopy of my passport would be ok? Walking around with my passport sounds like a bad idea, either losing it or having a corrupt cop take it ransom.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Pilsner posted:

Even then, do you think a photocopy of my passport would be ok? Walking around with my passport sounds like a bad idea, either losing it or having a corrupt cop take it ransom.

I'd be more worried about losing it or having it pickpocketed. We used to use photocopies of our passports in England to get into bars when I was there as a teenager. I was one of the only ones over 18 so all the 17-year-olds got creative with white out, scissors, and a photocopier. There were a lot of Pixelantes hitting the Oxford bar scene that summer.

Given what I know about the culture in SEA, I think showing that you cared enough to have your passport copied and are showing sufficient respect matters more than the details. I actually carried an expired passport for my entire trip just in case--never needed it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

When I lived in Thailand I only carried a copy of my passport and never actually needed it except to go into a couple of nightclubs. That was a different time though so I can't give real advice about how to behave these days.

If I were in Thailand tomorrow I would carry a copy of the ID page of my passport and the page of my passport with my visa stamp in it. If that wasn't enough I'd go though the usual SE Asia bribe procedure which is apologizing for nothing saying you're in a hurry and then giving them like 200B or 500B depending on how jerky they're being and walking away. If someone else in the thread tells you to do something else you should probably listen to them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The current shakedowns aren't about your passport, they're about causing you grief as a way of causing the military government pain with international tourism so it will relax its restrictions on the illegal businesses in that area that the cops got their income from.

If you have your passport then they'll make you pee in a cup. There's always one more thing. I wouldn't worry about it, it's only affecting people in one area of Bangkok and it's not that big a deal - and it should end very soon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh good, I'm three days out from my trip and entering the nervous, second-guessing part of my travel prep routine so that makes me feel better. It's probably a good idea to make a copy of my passport and flight schedule and throw them in my carry-on, right?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Some Chinese lady threw her pot noodle on a Thai stewardess because she couldn't sit where she wanted. A guy that was with her then stood up and said he was going to blow the loving plane up but because he yelled in Chinese nobody found out about it until video hit the Chinese airwaves. :iamafag:

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/12/13/Thai-AirAsia-passengers-throws-hot-water-at-stewardess/

raton fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 14, 2014

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Sheep-Goats posted:

Some Chinese lady threw her pot noodle on a Thai stewardess because she couldn't sit where she wanted. A guy that was with her then stood up and said he was going to blow the loving plane up but because he yelled in Chinese nobody found out about it until video hit the Chinese airwaves. :iamafag:

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/12/13/Thai-AirAsia-passengers-throws-hot-water-at-stewardess/

Korean conspiracy to get the nuts lady off the news, pretty obvious.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I should produce a TV show where each week we pit one group of well-known horrible travelers against another on a plane and let them battle it out. Who wouldn't love to see a plane split down the middle between Brits On Holiday and Unruly Mainlanders.

My money is on the Brits in that one, before one of them rips the door out and beats someone to death with it and crashes the plane.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
To keep it fair maybe it should be like 20 well fed British hooligans vs. 80 goblinesque tatty Mainlanders and their pudgy lord.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep-Goats posted:

To keep it fair maybe it should be like 20 well fed British hooligans vs. 80 goblinesque tatty Mainlanders and their pudgy lord.

Ad time on the "How Many Mainlanders Can You Take In A Fight???" show would sell amazingly well.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
RELEASE THE REINFORCEMENTS!

:overhead bins open and 10 more roll out:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chantilly Say posted:

Ad time on the "How Many Mainlanders Can You Take In A Fight???" show would sell amazingly well.

I would absolutely unironically love to watch that show.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

It's actually not too entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXaRtc1f4I

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
AirAsia's slogan is "now everyone can fly" which is kind of a double edged sword because there are some people you really don't want to share a plane with.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

you don't have to be on a plane to fly, though. maybe they can hire some argentinian pilots!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Going from Air Asia to Air Canada was like leaving someone's brand new shiny state of the art car and hopping into an 80s station wagon with ripped upholstry and creaky transmission.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

Going from Air Asia to Air Canada was like leaving someone's brand new shiny state of the art car and hopping into an 80s station wagon with ripped upholstry and creaky transmission.

God drat, what if you were on Singapore or Cathay?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Cathay has an ancient fleet, but good service. The catchment includes a shitload of mainland aunties, unfortunately. SG sells every plane within like 8-10 years as a practice, so they're always nice, new planes. They're already selling their A380s - or want to. No one is sure if there's a market yet.

Air Canada is famous for sucking though, yeah. It's the United of Canada.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 15, 2014

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
It's not SE Asia but as long as we're talking mainlanders on plane flights, http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1663201/chinese-man-opens-planes-emergency-door-fresh-air-take

Never gets fuckin old. God you are such an amazing mess, China.

e: also this one from the other day http://news.asiaone.com/news/travel/passenger-slides-down-emergency-exit-get-plane-faster

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 17, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The thing that scares me about the Mainlanders with this stuff is that they're sober. When some idiot drunken Brit or Aussie pulls this poo poo I can get my head around it and everyone probably sees it coming. If some Mainlander calmly decides to get some fresh air I got nothin' to work with ahead of time, heh.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

CronoGamer posted:

It's not SE Asia but as long as we're talking mainlanders on plane flights, http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1663201/chinese-man-opens-planes-emergency-door-fresh-air-take

Never gets fuckin old. God you are such an amazing mess, China.

e: also this one from the other day http://news.asiaone.com/news/travel/passenger-slides-down-emergency-exit-get-plane-faster

There is a "Chinese tourist" news category in scmp, and its pretty damming that almost all the articles are about how mainlanders are terrible abroad and need to be more 文明。

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You know I'm just glad that mainlanders are getting sick of Hong Kong. Hopefully the rest of the world will open up as well to Chinese tourists and all the locusts tour groups will follow as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueNr7mfFZu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6yAD59_Lu8

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 17, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I'm flying Eva Air from Vancouver to Bangkok tonight - I hope they are yet to be discovered by the mainlander scourge.

On a related note, getting to Koh Tao from Vancouver is a nightmare: Vancover to Taipei (13 hours), Taipei to Bangkok (4 hours), Bangkok to Samui (1 hour), Samui to Koh Tao (3 hours). Add in all the waiting time and it's in the order of 28 hours :sigh:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My first flight to SEA was on EVA from a fraction more inland and south than you're leaving from. That meant one more connecting flight and almost 36 hours in airports/airplanes before arrival. I stopped in Bangkok but got killed on connections, almost 8 hours at each airport.

EVA was okay but the leg over the Pacific was horrible. The world's oldest Taiwanese man was sitting next to me. He was so old they gave him and his equally ancient wife their food before everyone else, even first class I think. He was about the size of a garden gnome and that meant he sat with his forearms on the arm rests with his elbows projecting a good three inches into my seating and his wife's. Any time I started to fall asleep I'd slide in my seat a bit and his elbow would dig into my side and wake me up. I was scared to sleep while waiting for connections because I didn't know what would happen if I missed a connection at that time so I was fairly out out of it when it came time to find a place to sleep in Bangkok.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 17, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Finch! posted:

I'm flying Eva Air from Vancouver to Bangkok tonight - I hope they are yet to be discovered by the mainlander scourge.

On a related note, getting to Koh Tao from Vancouver is a nightmare: Vancover to Taipei (13 hours), Taipei to Bangkok (4 hours), Bangkok to Samui (1 hour), Samui to Koh Tao (3 hours). Add in all the waiting time and it's in the order of 28 hours :sigh:
If I were you I would have made a stopover in Bangkok. Even one day is enough to settle down a bit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes when you book a transoceanic flight you just gotta put on Iron Man and click the mouse a little too hard and show the world that you were born in fire.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 17, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have to get to America's 4th largest city, home of America's largest international port and the world's largest medical center and it takes like THIRTY loving HOURS MINIMUM so I have very little sympathy.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Finch! posted:

No help to you now, but it looks like you can fly direct to Hong Kong then again direct to Koh Samui. Saves you a few hours at least, and doesn't look to be more than marginally more expensive.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Pilsner posted:

If I were you I would have made a stopover in Bangkok. Even one day is enough to settle down a bit.

I thought about it but I figured Id just do it in one big hit. I'm in premium economy and although I don't think I can qualify for an upgrade to business (rookie mistake with airline alliances) I should be able to get plenty of rest. Not as much as I got on the way to the US with a bed across the pacific to San Francisco but better than a regular economy seat. I get lounge access in Taipei for a shower, and then the VIP room on the Lomprayah is always good for a few hours sleep.

The plan is to get to Koh Tao, drink a bit too much whilst catching up with a million people, sleep the hangover off in the morning and be jetlag free. In reality... I'm going to be jetlagged and hungover. Oof.

Jeza posted:

No help to you now, but it looks like you can fly direct to Hong Kong then again direct to Koh Samui. Saves you a few hours at least, and doesn't look to be more than marginally more expensive.

Yeah... when I booked my original fare the Cathay and Bangkok Airways combination was only available as a full fare business ticket for like $8000 and the connection doesn't quite work out - I'd need to wait around on Samui for a few more hours to take the ferry I'm already on anyway. The flight from Hong Kong lands at 11:10am and the afternoon boat leaves from the pier which is like 45 minutes away at 12:30pm. Add in immigration time (I refuse to go through incoming immigration on Samui again, it takes forever) and then Lomprayah idiocy time and there's no way I'd get there on time.

Looks like Cathay premium economy then Bangkok Airways is close to double what I've paid already for Eva Air premium then Bangkok Airways from Bangkok. Ouch.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 17, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Also, one thing about booking mega marathon flights is that if the whole trip isn't booked in one go (one booking), and you end up being late for a flight later in your itinerary, it's just too bad; no new flight or paid hotel stay. It's not such a huge deal to get "stuck" in Bangkok when your destination is somewhere else in Thailand, but keep it in mind.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 17, 2014

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah, in my most recent trip, I put a bunch of buffer days for a "just in case God hates me and I'm hosed" scenarios.

I scored a price error deal from Toronto to Seoul for like $430 roundtrip (THANK YOU DELTA). But I honestly wasn't too interested in going to Korea during late November and really just wanted to go to Southeast Asia. I looked at my options and the cheapest way to get to Bangkok (return flight to Seoul as well) was either a couple of hours after my Toronto-Seoul flight landed, or the next night. Chose the next night, because you never know if my flight gets delayed.

Then I gave myself another 3.5 days in Korea on the return trip so I don't miss my return flight to Toronto and gives me time to see Seoul for a bit. That flight cost $220 and any other days was going to be like $400'ish so I took it. Definitely the best deal I've had travelling.

As soon as I got to Bangkok it was smooth sailing from there, went to Siem Reap, then to Chiang Mai, Koh Lanta, then I gave myself another "buffer" day in Bangkok just in case I miss a goddamn ferry and flight from Krabi to Bangkok, which will completely gently caress up my flight back to Korea (then to Toronto). Basically, AirAsia is awesome. Delta is awesome too. But you can never be too safe when your flights are not in one itinerary.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Pilsner posted:

Also, one thing about booking mega marathon flights is that if the whole trip isn't booked in one go (one booking), and you end up being late for a flight later in your itinerary, it's just too bad; no new flight or paid hotel stay. It's not such a huge deal to get "stuck" in Bangkok when your destination is somewhere else in Thailand, but keep it in mind.

Separate ticketing is exactly how I dealt with some misery in HK recently. Delayed JFK-HKG flight made me miss my separate ticketed HKG-KUL flight. One missed connection and it all snowballs out of control. I think in the future, I'll put at least 12+ hours for a stopover.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Same here, yeah. I usually stop in HK to see a friend on this side and SF to see family on the other end. Can't kill that massive chunk in the middle, but it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I've flown AirAsia about a dozen times this year with no dramas, and Malaysia airlines twice.

Malaysia flight got delayed 8hrs loving up the connect through KL meaning DPS - KL - BKK ended up taking about double the time I'd initially booked. On the other flight a stewardess whined at me because I'd stacked my rubbish neatly on the meal tray, wtf. Even getting a cup of water was a chore.

Losing two planes is bad but they probably weren't the best airline to start with. Fly Thai or Singapore and the crew are falling over themselves to offer a hot towel, juice, whatever.