Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Hedrigall posted:

That is a good stretch of books! My absolute favourite stretch would be the late-90s/early-00s where you have:

• The Fifth Elephant (1999) - the Watch, fantastic travel story (plus werewolves), with Detritus and Cheery in big supporting roles (not that you've met them yet, I think, but they are some of the best Watch characters)
• The Truth (2000) - standalone about journalism, hilarious, one of the best "X comes to Discworld" stories, features the Watch in small but interesting roles
• Thief of Time (2001) - Death/Susan but also introduces the History Monks who are awesome, ties in to Night Watch
• The Last Hero (2001) - kind of a "best of" character-wise (Rincewind, Carrot, Cohen the Barbarian, Leonard of Quirm, the Librarian) in an illustrated book, the art is all amazing, haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward to it
• The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents (2001) - standalone about talking animals, YA but very dark with themes about death
• Night Watch (2002) - the Watch, almost unanimously thought of as the best Discworld book, really moving while also being a great piss-take of Les Miserables, ties into Thief of Time

Yeah, looking forward to all those books as well. Also, Detritus was actually in Moving Pictures, also I think he's had some super small roles in previous books, since isn't he the bouncer (or Splatter I believe it was called when a Troll does the job) at the Broken/Mended drum? Either way, I'm familiar with him already. Glad to see he's coming back, he was a great troll character.

I love this series so much so far that I've already bought all 40 mass-market paperback versions of the books even though I'm only 10 books in. I think the only thing I'm missing is the original illustrated version of Eric for obvious reasons. Discworld just loving owns so hard.

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hedrigall posted:

I sure would like to check my PMs too around about now! :cool:

Same :)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Is Koom Valley (the location, not the warfare) in Thud! based on any particular real-world area? I really liked the description of its unstable, chaotic and purely dangerous nature.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So I'm rereading Reaper Man for the first time in years, and Death goes to see the village blacksmith , a man named Ned Simnel who is tinkering with building an engine.

That is one hell of a call back, about what, 20 years later? Well done man

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

That is a good stretch of books! My absolute favourite stretch would be the late-90s/early-00s where you have:

• The Fifth Elephant (1999) - the Watch, fantastic travel story (plus werewolves), with Detritus and Cheery in big supporting roles (not that you've met them yet, I think, but they are some of the best Watch characters)
• The Truth (2000) - standalone about journalism, hilarious, one of the best "X comes to Discworld" stories, features the Watch in small but interesting roles
• Thief of Time (2001) - Death/Susan but also introduces the History Monks who are awesome, ties in to Night Watch
• The Last Hero (2001) - kind of a "best of" character-wise (Rincewind, Carrot, Cohen the Barbarian, Leonard of Quirm, the Librarian) in an illustrated book, the art is all amazing, haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward to it
• The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents (2001) - standalone about talking animals, YA but very dark with themes about death
• Night Watch (2002) - the Watch, almost unanimously thought of as the best Discworld book, really moving while also being a great piss-take of Les Miserables, ties into Thief of Time

What Night Watch really draws from is On Revolution by Hannah Arendt. Vimes' observations on the problems of empire and revolution and how it is tied together is pretty much the bullet points cliffs notes version with humor mixed in. And since it is one of the most salient texts to come out of the past 100 years, him repackaging the core takeaways so a wider audience gets them is a very good thing

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Penguin-Classics-Hannah-Arendt/dp/0143039903

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

[quote="Hedrigall" post=""439317461"]
• Thief of Time (2001) - Death/Susan but also introduces the History Monks who are awesome, ties in to Night Watch[/quote]
Lu-Tze and the History Monks are introduced in Small Gods.

Damo posted:

Yeah, looking forward to all those books as well. Also, Detritus was actually in Moving Pictures, also I think he's had some super small roles in previous books, since isn't he the bouncer (or Splatter I believe it was called when a Troll does the job) at the Broken/Mended drum?
I really like how you can follow Detritus life from being associated with crime, falling in love with a female troll, trying to be a law abiding citizen and finally becoming a respected member of the watch. I don't think you can do that to any of the other minor characters in series.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So I'm rereading Reaper Man for the first time in years, and Death goes to see the village blacksmith , a man named Ned Simnel who is tinkering with building an engine.

It's also useful if you're trying to figure out how much time has passed in the span of series. Rincewind must be at least in his fifties by now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Alhazred posted:

Lu-Tze and the History Monks are introduced in Small Gods.

I know, but ToT is the first book about them.

Alhazred posted:

I really like how you can follow Detritus life from being associated with crime, falling in love with a female troll, trying to be a law abiding citizen and finally becoming a respected member of the watch. I don't think you can do that to any of the other minor characters in series.

Gaspode has a bit of an arc throughout other peoples' books doesn't he?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Pidmon posted:

Is Koom Valley (the location, not the warfare) in Thud! based on any particular real-world area? I really liked the description of its unstable, chaotic and purely dangerous nature.

I think it's a play on Coombe/Combe/Cwm meaning Valley, with the K from Kashmir. It's one of those tautological things like the River Avon or Mississippi, and the geography fits the region, the fighting, the floods and the elements causing more danger than the enemy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Gaspode has a bit of an arc throughout other peoples' books doesn't he?

Has he? He basically stays a street dog throughout the series without really changing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fried Chicken posted:

I caught that only because the harvesting engine was mentioned, I forgot the name. I'm about a quarter into Raising Steam so far, and it's pretty good, although crammed with characters which any new reader is going to have trouble keeping up with, I imagine.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Fried Chicken posted:

That is one hell of a call back, about what, 20 years later? Well done man

AND in Reaper Man, Ned Simnel is trying to think of a way to power his combine harvester when he's distracted by the steam from his kettle going off - which in reality led to the invention of the steam engine.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Total Meatlove posted:

I think it's a play on Coombe/Combe/Cwm meaning Valley, with the K from Kashmir. It's one of those tautological things like the River Avon or Mississippi, and the geography fits the region, the fighting, the floods and the elements causing more danger than the enemy.

Every time one of these comes up I feel so thick. How did I not get that!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Corrode posted:

Every time one of these comes up I feel so thick. How did I not get that!

I have only just now gotten the pun in Casanova vs Casanunda (over vs under)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have 30 messages and that's a really unlucky number where I come from.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Argh :argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don't beat yourselves up - I know someone who had to have The Joye of Snacks explained to them.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

YggiDee posted:

Oh god drat it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

YggiDee posted:

This is why despite knowing of the annotation site, I'm not going to review it any time soon. Pratchett's going to keep surprising me for years to come.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

One of my favourite Pratchett quotes.

quote:

"...A gag that no-one's ever said they've got is the Patrician's name, Lord Vetinari. I always think of the Patrician as a vaguely Florentine prince, a sort of Machiavelli and Robespierre rolled into one. And of course there was Medici. So I thought if you had the Medici, then you would have the Dentistri, and the Vetinari. The Discworld is full of things which don't look like gags but are gags, if only you can work out what the intervening step is which I haven't given."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Trin Tragula posted:

And also why Vetinari's nickname at school is "Dog Botherer"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The Good Omens radio play is great so far. Episode 1 is on iPlayer, I've just listened. Worth waiting until the credits are over just so you can hear that Gaiman and Pratchett had bit parts :3:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I did wonder about that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

And then there's the Selachii family. In taxonomy, the selachii family is the group to which all sharks belong.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

And why the Uberwaldian Werewolves twitch every time his name is spoken.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

And when your last name is Vetinari, madam, you're lucky if it's only "Dog Botherer".

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Jedit posted:

And then there's the Selachii family. In taxonomy, the selachii family is the group to which all sharks belong.

And of course their noble enemies, the Venturi family.

That was probably my favourite "oh goddamn it" moment when I realised it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

My favorite thing about these books is forgetting the puns so I can groan at them again, this week I re-understood the Stronginthearm joke.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Akett posted:

My favorite thing about these books is forgetting the puns so I can groan at them again, this week I re-understood the Stronginthearm joke.

That's not a joke; historically it's a real name. If, on the other hand, Bjorn Stronginthearm is your uncle, that's a classic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Akett posted:

Its that they make crossbows, which use mechanical power, rather than swords and axes which use physical strength (or require you to be strong in the arm), right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's a bunch of things - Burleigh is a homophone for burly, it's about them being muscle powered and it's supposed to sound like things like Heckler&Koch or Smith & Wesson.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Happy Hogswatch, everybody :toot:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Watch out for beans! :ohdear:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Long post but whenever Hogfather is mentioned I think of the following quote and how much it has shaped my world view since first time I read it 12 years ago. The works of Terry Pratchett (and Kurt Vonnegut) have changed the way I think about myself, the world, and my place in it. Happy Hogswatch everyone!

quote:

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 26, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

John Dough posted:

Happy Hogswatch, everybody :toot:

Hogswatch is actually New Year's Eve. :eng101:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I've just started Hogfather (and am avoiding the above quote for fear of spoilers) - I was wondering if it was Christmas themed. He is their equivalent of Santa, I guess?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VagueRant posted:

I've just started Hogfather (and am avoiding the above quote for fear of spoilers) - I was wondering if it was Christmas themed. He is their equivalent of Santa, I guess?

Yes, the Hogfather is a slightly different Santa Claus.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes, he's a Santa figure, even down to dressing in white and red, riding a sled, and throwing things through windows.

Also I'll edit my post to include spoilers sorry about that.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I recently finished reading Good Omens. Didn't really like it tho'. The first half with Aziraphale and Crowley dicking around is pretty entertaining, but then you get to Adam and the gang and the book just dies. The ending is completely anticlimactic too, Adam just wishes all the baddies away and that's it. The book is also unnecessarily dark/schizophrenic in tone, didn't need the part about people being turned into skeletons by a maggot demon in a book that makes a running gag out of the number of nipples someone is carrying around.

Feels like they should have focused more on Aziraphale/Crowley, or the predictions of Agnes Nutter and the associated present day cast (Agnes feels a lot like a Discworld witch). Or even played up the analogies between the four Them and the four Riders they apparently were going with. All in all, it feels like a weaker/discarded Discworld idea.

How are the other non-Discworld Pratchett books? Any one recommended in particular? I only have the latest Discworld books to go through (I think the last one i read was Thud! ?), but they are the sort of not so good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I haven't got to the earlier non-Discworld books yet, but Nation is pretty good. Dodger was also pretty decent, though it feels like an Ankh-Morpork story that was shifted to Roundworld.

Stay away from The Long Earth series. I feel like It's more Baxter than Pratchett, and I found myself having to force myself to finish the first 2 books. They've put me off of even trying the third.