Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As a Christmas gift to myself, I bought myself a backlog.

HGs of Wing Gundam, Nu Gundam and Zeta Gundam are on their way now :dance:

I'm now keeping a checklist of each protagonist Gundam HG I have. I'm making headway.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

MJP posted:

Banzai Hobby has a big Gunpla sale going on: http://banzaihobby.com/plastic-models/character-anime/bandai-gunpla

The sale prices beat HLJ and they've got some stuff in stock that HLJ won't have in until Feb. Only catch, I can't seem to select SAL shipping for two Master Grades - maybe I'll luck out and it's a glitch. Opened a ticket, yet to hear back.

Even so, if I gotta go with EMS, the total price blows Gundam Planet out of the water.

Save an MG Blitz and Buster for me, guys

Thank you and also gently caress you for posting this. Couldn't resist adding the Black Tri Stars Custom Zaku II high mobility type master grade, thus completing my backlog of un-built custom high mobility type zakus. Soon I will own all the MG Zaku 2.0 variants (that aren't web-shop exclusives grumble grumble) because I am a fool. Still, less then 40 bucks with shipping really dulls the financial pain.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So I stared learning hand painting and I made a mistake and the 91% alcohol isnt removing the extra paint. What should i use to touch it up?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

What type and brand of paint?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

madpanda posted:

What type and brand of paint?

Tamiya acrylics.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Have you tried their brand thinner? I seem to remember hearing in the thread or gundam forums that due to their acrylics makeup you would get bad results thinning with alcohol.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its more of alittle extra paint is smuged on an area and i'm trying to get it off.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Tenzarin posted:

Its more of alittle extra paint is smuged on an area and i'm trying to get it off.

Are you painting the entire kit or just spot painting?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just some spots and parts, I managed to clean it up just with some light sanding.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does Tamiyo acrylic like being hand painted? I know I had problems with brushing something a while back. How about Vajello or whatever? I think I'd like sonething I can put through an airbrush, and also apply by hand for detailing etc.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I've hand-painted and airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics and haven't had too many issues. You probably want to mix a little thinner in with it beforehand when handpainting, though. Airbrush you definitely have to thin.

Getting it up, though? Yeah, you're going to need something a little stronger than the thinner, but admittedly when I'd screw up and smudge a bit I'd start all over painting the whole piece. Mostly because I use the Simple Green to get it up.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 27, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I got another question, brush strokes, how do you fight them? My practice spoon looks sad.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 27, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thin your paints more, multiple thin coats will look better and show fewer strokes.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Frankenstein Dad posted:

My bro gave me this for Christmas:

It looks rad as hell.

I am a bit worried about the gold and silver sprues, but it looks like most of the nubs will be hidden. :)

You'll love it, HMMs are really good about hiding their nubs. While I didn't get any for christmas I did manage to find a Berserk Fury for sale on HLJ so yay :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Thin your paints more, multiple thin coats will look better and show fewer strokes.

I've been handpainting some Tamiya acrylics recently and found a paint to thinner ratio 6 paint to 4 thinner was a good starting point. You will need several coats to cover the plastic.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Swagger Dagger posted:

My best spoon was done with 50/50 tamiya acrylic and future, It seems like the more thinner i use for hand brushing the more strokes i get, what gives?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tenzarin posted:

My best spoon was done with 50/50 tamiya acrylic and future, It seems like the more thinner i use for hand brushing the more strokes i get, what gives?

Future is gloss coat, not thinner. Get a bottle of Tamiya Acrylic Thinner from either your local hobby store or online.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Future is gloss coat, not thinner. Get a bottle of Tamiya Acrylic Thinner from either your local hobby store or online.

Do this, but you can also try thinning it with water in the meantime, depending on the paint it works fine or really poorly (has to do with the density of pigments, IIRC). Look through the first few posts of this thread for advice.

edit: this is also a good read http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/04/7-quick-tips-and-tricks-for-best-paint.html

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 27, 2014

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I got another question, brush strokes, how do you fight them? My practice spoon looks sad.

In addition to multiple thin layers, paint each coat perpendicular to the last. So if your first coat goes up and down on a part, your next one should go left and right. Tamiya will level better with that cross-hatching.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I hate tamiya so much.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I got a couple of HG kits for Christmas and this is the first Gundam I built on my own (I have some other kits my brother built for me since I was worried about breaking them).

I think I did a decent job, there's still some nubs and stuff but not bad for a first timer, I guess.

Next up: Gouf Custom. :getin:

P.S.: Getting that green sticker on the pistol scope was a pain.

EDIT: Note to self: Get a panel lining marker.

EDIT 2: The gray flap thing that goes on the pistol is safe and sound, I just took this photo before putting it on.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 27, 2014

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Ka0 posted:

I hate tamiya so much.

Is there a reason? I've never had trouble with it and it's my go-to brand since it's readily available at my local hobby store.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Mecha Gojira posted:

Is there a reason? I've never had trouble with it and it's my go-to brand since it's readily available at my local hobby store.

Fantastic! They are never available at my local failure store that carries stupid poo poo like pre-assembled testors airplanes. Tamiya acrylics seem to be in Tanzania, Mauritius, the inside of Mount St. Helen's dead cauldron and Liberia, just not wherever I am at the moment. Also, their """""acrylics""""" do not play along with anything other than Brand Thinner thanks to their retarded formula. gently caress you tamiya I'll stick to vallejo and mr. color. /firstworld problems.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Speaking of vallejo, I just got a few bottles of game paint in, whats a good ratio for making a black panel wash? This is for hand painting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I got a couple of HG kits for Christmas and this is the first Gundam I built on my own (I have some other kits my brother built for me since I was worried about breaking them).

I think I did a decent job, there's still some nubs and stuff but not bad for a first timer, I guess.

Next up: Gouf Custom. :getin:

P.S.: Getting that green sticker on the pistol scope was a pain.

EDIT: Note to self: Get a panel lining marker.

EDIT 2: The gray flap thing that goes on the pistol is safe and sound, I just took this photo before putting it on.

Get a pair of itty bitty tweezers, they make decal work a breeze. You can get them online for like ten bucks. Monoeyes, regular eyes, scopes, the gold poo poo on the Sinanju, all easier thanks to tiny tweezers.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Literally The Worst posted:

Get a pair of itty bitty tweezers, they make decal work a breeze. You can get them online for like ten bucks. Monoeyes, regular eyes, scopes, the gold poo poo on the Sinanju, all easier thanks to tiny tweezers.

I like the Tamiya tweezers because they're coated in something that makes the decals not stick to them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

signalnoise posted:

I like the Tamiya tweezers because they're coated in something that makes the decals not stick to them.

I use regular tweezers and a poking stick because I have a pair and don't need nonstick tweezers.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

signalnoise posted:

How are they for pulling tiny decals off of the sheet? My current par has one side bent so I can get under decals.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

madpanda posted:

How are they for pulling tiny decals off of the sheet? My current par has one side bent so I can get under decals.

You squeeze them

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Before I go down this rabbit hole, does anybody know what are good resources for finding resin conversions? I'm looking for Gundam Artemie kits, but it seems they've been out of production for a couple of years.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
First off, check eBay and e2046. Second, I already checked for you and nope. The Artemie isn't nearly a popular enough design to be recast over and over, so you're pretty much out of luck. :shobon:

If it's any consolation, the 1/100 Gundam Ashtaron is in the same boat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I bumped my new G-Self to the front of the line, partially because it was going to be an easier job to build and paint, and partially because it gave me an excuse to go out and buy new paints. Trying out Tamiya stuff for the first time, and boy do I now hate Citadel. No more Warhammer leftovers from now on. I'll deal with the risk of getting high off of the toxic, flammable paints.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I bumped my new G-Self to the front of the line, partially because it was going to be an easier job to build and paint, and partially because it gave me an excuse to go out and buy new paints. Trying out Tamiya stuff for the first time, and boy do I now hate Citadel. No more Warhammer leftovers from now on. I'll deal with the risk of getting high off of the toxic, flammable paints.

Risk?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got the Arche, Exia, Cherudim, Dynames, and Ali's Enact on the way. Still need to build my Throne Zwei, but I should be able to get that done soon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

everythingWasBees posted:

Before I go down this rabbit hole, does anybody know what are good resources for finding resin conversions? I'm looking for Gundam Artemie kits, but it seems they've been out of production for a couple of years.

Maybe I'm dumb and this isn't what you are looking for, but I did find this: http://www.shopgundam.com/gundam-figures/c3-hobby-2010-1144-gundam-artemie-resin-kit-gundam-00p/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

You can probably find some in the cosmetics section of the grocery store or drugstore for less than that; I have some Revlon and Mary Kay branded tweezers that are great for decals.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So after the holidays and some wheeling and dealing, I have an SA-Mart posting of more kits for sale - MG Strike Freedom, HG Justice, RG Z'gok, and Valvrave I Hito.

I've got a big ol' list of Gunpla I'd love to trade them for, or just sell them - posting is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690649.

Help finance the addiction, or trade to extend it! Because yeah, that Banzai Hobby deal yielded me an MG Blitz and MG Buster, totaling around $30ish savings against best available prices as of last week :-(

My backlog went from 0 to 4 MGs and two HGs. Well, 5 MGs if you count the MG GM QUEL I just did the piece-cutting on today and will be priming tomorrow.

What's the zeitgeist opinion on best acrylic paint mix or single color for Titans dark blue?

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 28, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I'm just getting back into gunpla after a long long break, and I'm starting with the nu-gundam 1/100 mg and g-self 1/144 hg, and I was also thinking of getting a hy-gogg. What I really wanna get my hands on is a shokew and a mack knife. Are there kits of these?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Mack Knife is getting a kit soon, but the only Shokew out there is an old 90s 1/144 Rig Shokew.

Also did you pick up the Nu Gundam vKa or the original MG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I got the vKa nu gundam.

That rig shokew looks nice, too bad it's waitlisted.