Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Theli posted:

Haven't read any, but I'll look into that. Any particular one you'd recommend starting with?

Call for the Dead, which is the first book featuring George Smiley (and his first book, period). Then read all the novels from the 60s and 70s (except The Naive and Sentimental Lover, which is not a spy story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Theli posted:

I'm going to be working several long, boring shifts over the holidays and want some ideas for good page-turners. Preferably something relatively light and fun, but mostly just something that constantly keeps me wanting to know what happens next.

A few examples of things I've enjoyed recently would be The Dresden Files, The LightBringer series, The Laundry Files, and most of Brandon Sanderson's stuff.

It definitely doesn't have to be fantasy/sci-fi, but I like fiction with a bit of mystery and the supernatural.

The Descent by Jeff Long

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Theli posted:

I'm going to be working several long, boring shifts over the holidays and want some ideas for good page-turners. Preferably something relatively light and fun, but mostly just something that constantly keeps me wanting to know what happens next.

A few examples of things I've enjoyed recently would be The Dresden Files, The LightBringer series, The Laundry Files, and most of Brandon Sanderson's stuff.

It definitely doesn't have to be fantasy/sci-fi, but I like fiction with a bit of mystery and the supernatural.

If you haven't looked into Terry Pratchett already, you should. Small Gods is one of his best and a good place to start with the Discworld. (Also, going by the other books on that list, I should probably check out The Lightbringer series myself...)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Theli posted:

If you like urban fantasy (i.e., Dresden Files and Laundry Files) then the new hotness in the urban fantasy thread is the Rivers of London / Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. First book is titled Midnight Riot in US and Rivers of London in the UK.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

London Falling and The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell are another London-based Urban Fantasy / Police Procedural sort of deal.

A different approach than the Peter Grant series, but I enjoyed these quite a bit too.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

Call for the Dead, which is the first book featuring George Smiley (and his first book, period). Then read all the novels from the 60s and 70s (except The Naive and Sentimental Lover, which is not a spy story).

I found Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy to be a good entry point into Le Carre's stuff (and it remains one of my absolute favorite books), after which I read the remaining two books in the "Karla Trilogy" and then picked up both earlier and later works. I love these books but do find that it's useful to mix in something more upbeat if you're planning on reading a bunch in a short timespan, as they are not exactly uplifting...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Theli posted:

Haven't read any, but I'll look into that. Any particular one you'd recommend starting with?
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy are generally considered the best, I believe. There's some continuity but you can really pick up any of them - I'd stay away from his more recent stuff, though; the quality varies a lot and occassionally drops into straight-up propaganda. The books that deal with the Cold War are all pretty good.

edit: Yeah, as the above says, they're not exactly happy books. If you want more relaxing less literary spy fiction, you can always try Frederic Forsyth; he's generally a good holiday read.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 23, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smeef posted:

How about The Night of the Gun?

I have not read it so I can't say either way. Good luck.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Has anybody read any of the "My Struggle" series by Karl Ove Knausgård? Been reading a bit about them and it seems right up my alley.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Any modern Russian fiction? I know about the classics and love Bulgakov but I'd be interested in something along those lines from the Cold War or even more recent years. It can be nonfiction but I do prefer a narrative and character work as opposed to strict recountings of events. Satirical obviously a plus. Allegory and stuff is chill. Just as long as it was written in the last fifty years. :shrug:

I'm also wondering if there's any good Russian sci fi out there.

Edit: stuff from former soviet member states works too I guess!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Any modern Russian fiction? I know about the classics and love Bulgakov but I'd be interested in something along those lines from the Cold War or even more recent years. It can be nonfiction but I do prefer a narrative and character work as opposed to strict recountings of events. Satirical obviously a plus. Allegory and stuff is chill. Just as long as it was written in the last fifty years. :shrug:

You're looking for Vladimir Sorokin. Most of his opus hits all of your points. Especially if you can get your hands on Blue Salo, which didn't get a wide release in the west, as far as I know.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I've got some books laying around in my room:

I read like 8 pages of Atlas Shrugged years ago, but I hear she was more renowned for her philosophy than her writing.

Read around 200 pages in Ulysses a few months ago, seems like a neat concept but also kinda dry at times.

I also read some of War and Peace months ago, but all I remember is some drunken guy messing around with a bear at a party or something. That, and a thousand names I don't remember.

So are those three worth finishing or should I move on to the others?

Also the Dante one is his divine comedy.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Fartmaster posted:

I've got some books laying around in my room:

I read like 8 pages of Atlas Shrugged years ago, but I hear she was more renowned for her philosophy than her writing.

Read around 200 pages in Ulysses a few months ago, seems like a neat concept but also kinda dry at times.

I also read some of War and Peace months ago, but all I remember is some drunken guy messing around with a bear at a party or something. That, and a thousand names I don't remember.

So are those three worth finishing or should I move on to the others?

Also the Dante one is his divine comedy.

That Divine Comedy looks hella thin. Finishing Ulysses or War and Peace is a lifelong project for many. Just get back to those books when you have the time, concentration and experience for them. Atlas Shrugged is not worth it. The other books you have are all good, read them in any order that pleases you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fartmaster posted:

Reading Ayn Rand is probably only a good idea if you're trying to understand the people who revere her, or how she's influenced American politics.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
What's the best English translation of a Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Number Two Stunna posted:

What's the best English translation of a Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDFltsFgShc

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Fartmaster posted:

The part with the bear is pretty awesome. Then again, so is the rest of the book. It'll take you a good long while to get through War and Peace, but it's definitely worth the effort.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Any good Japanese horror available on kindle? (In English of course)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

Any good Japanese horror available on kindle? (In English of course)
Might be obvious and/or mainstream, but just about anything by Koji Suzuki?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

elbow posted:

David Sedaris's books are all humorous essays that are incredibly funny. He's not afraid of showing his mean/selfish/flawed side, which I think is great to read when you're drinking.

I hate you. Me talk pretty one day was so incredibly boring.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

To each their own I guess, he's a BB favorite. I'm sorry for singlehandedly ruining your exciting cruise.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

elbow posted:

To each their own I guess, he's a BB favorite. I'm sorry for singlehandedly ruining your exciting cruise.

Your recommendation sure seemed to fit the bill- maybe he was after Tucker Max or something, though.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Anybody got any good suggestions of dark decadent fantasy books in the vein of Clark Ashton Smith?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

funkybottoms posted:

Your recommendation sure seemed to fit the bill- maybe he was after Tucker Max or something, though.

No Dave Barry is funny enough. I've always liked his writing. Sedaris was just dull.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

This is kind of broad and might be a common question, but can someone recommend me some fantasy series? Either urban or high is fine. I'm just looking for fun/interesting books to entertain. An example of series I've read recently and enjoyed is The Magicians series by Lev Grossman, The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and also his Lightbringer series. (I think his writing isn't the best, but they are fun reads with action/good characters/nice world-building.) In contrast, before those I read that one trilogy by Joe Abercrombie that goons seem to fap over and while he had good writing and good worldbuilding, I found that at the end of the series literally none of the characters had undergone any kind of growth whatsoever and the ending was all gloomy even though it didn't have to be, so all I was left with was a big resounding meh.

Also if it came out in the past 4-5 years there's a good chance I haven't read it, so feel free to throw out any obvious choices at me as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Clocks posted:

This is kind of broad and might be a common question, but can someone recommend me some fantasy series? Either urban or high is fine. I'm just looking for fun/interesting books to entertain. An example of series I've read recently and enjoyed is The Magicians series by Lev Grossman, The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks and also his Lightbringer series. (I think his writing isn't the best, but they are fun reads with action/good characters/nice world-building.) In contrast, before those I read that one trilogy by Joe Abercrombie that goons seem to fap over and while he had good writing and good worldbuilding, I found that at the end of the series literally none of the characters had undergone any kind of growth whatsoever and the ending was all gloomy even though it didn't have to be, so all I was left with was a big resounding meh.

Also if it came out in the past 4-5 years there's a good chance I haven't read it, so feel free to throw out any obvious choices at me as well.

The best place to look is probably the thread on fantasy, but my quick recommendation these days is either Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Clocks posted:

This is kind of broad and might be a common question, but can someone recommend me some fantasy series? Either urban or high is fine. I'm just looking for fun/interesting books to entertain.

I enjoyed the Night Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko, in that vein.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It's not for everyone, though: if you don't find yourself hooked on the first two books, you probably don't need to bother reading on. In my opinion it's pretty drat great if you're looking for fantasy that actively challenges you to work theories on how the world works and then enjoys tearing them apart.
If you're looking for a less involved more relaxing read, Dresden Files are just about the chillest urban fantasy around.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The best place to look is probably the thread on fantasy, but my quick recommendation these days is either Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

Oops, my bad. I've mostly just popped into the forum quick and saw the recommendation thread and figured people here would be able to throw things at me!

Subjunctive posted:

I enjoyed the Night Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko, in that vein.

anilEhilated posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. It's not for everyone, though: if you don't find yourself hooked on the first two books, you probably don't need to bother reading on. In my opinion it's pretty drat great if you're looking for fantasy that actively challenges you to work theories on how the world works and then enjoys tearing them apart.
If you're looking for a less involved more relaxing read, Dresden Files are just about the chillest urban fantasy around.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I've actually vaguely heard about Dresden Files before but had no idea it was a UF series (or, um, anything else about it), so I think I'll start by checking some of that out first and then go for the other series mentioned. :)

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I would personally recommend against Malazan Book of the Fallen. Terrible writing, flat characters, and a plot that makes less than zero sense. I finally gave up reading it after about 200 pages when I still was unable to even remotely understand what was going on in the story. Beware of this one.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Clocks posted:

I liked Alex Bledsoe's Eddie LaCrosse series - kind of a cross between a noir detective novel and a high fantasy novel - pretty fun. I also second the recommendation for the Harry Dresden books.

Jimferd posted:

I would personally recommend against Malazan Book of the Fallen. Terrible writing, flat characters, and a plot that makes less than zero sense. I finally gave up reading it after about 200 pages when I still was unable to even remotely understand what was going on in the story. Beware of this one.

The writing improves greatly between the first and second books (I didn't really even understand what was happening most of the time in the first book in the series) but it's still not something I'd recommend to a casual fantasy reader - too many random unpronounceable names and so many Gods ascending or descending all over the place. It's a huge commitment to read all the books for sure. I gave up after book 6 because it just kept going and going.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Any recommendations for great novels or nonfiction about food? Preferably something that would enrich the experience of eating and preparing food; not looking for a cynical treatise on the food industry or The Jungle, heh

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Clocks posted:

This is kind of broad and might be a common question, but can someone recommend me some fantasy series? Either urban or high is fine. I'm just looking for fun/interesting books to entertain.

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard is absolutely hilarious and has several sequels.

I also just read Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell based on a mention in the SF/F thread, and it was very fun. The rest of that series isn't out yet, though.

My favorite fantasy authors are Carol Berg and Catherynne M. Valente - I'd suggest starting with the Collegia Magica and The Orphan's Tales, respectively. Berg has great characters and Valente writes beautifully, depending on what you're in the mood for.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I can only speak on the Sci-Fi part. For that, I recommend the Strugatzki (sometimes spelled Strugatzky or Strugatzkij) brothers. Especially great is Roadside Picknick (1971), which revolves around the microcosm of humans surrounding a so-called Zone, which contains alien artifacts and anomalies that kill people who enter it. It's the basis for the video game series S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which however transforms the Zone from an alien visiting place into the radioactive zone around the Tschernobyl atomic plant. I'm not sure there is a good English translation that conveys the creatively colloquial style of the book, but there should be.

If you're into philosophy, there's Stanislaw Lem's Golem XIV (1981), in which a supercomputer/superbeing reflects on the human's role in the universe with references to Nietzsche's Thus spoke Zarathustra and other philosophers. Lem's book introduces some immensely interesting ideas that I haven't really seen in any other philosopher's work. They make a lot of sense but are at the same time very advanced and nothing you'd quickly think of yourself, which makes it a fun, at times mind-blowing read. Sometimes I wonder if a human could have even written this. At the risk of sounding a little too dramatic, it really does feel like you're listening to a higher being.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any recommendations for great novels or nonfiction about food? Preferably something that would enrich the experience of eating and preparing food; not looking for a cynical treatise on the food industry or The Jungle, heh

Two food-related books I've really enjoyed are The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3109.The_Omnivore_s_Dilemma?from_search=true

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40189.A_Year_in_Provence

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Are there any contemporary authors writing some good satire? Or anything that falls somewhere between Vonnegut and the film 'Network' would likely hit the spot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fruity Tree posted:

Stanislaw Lem

He's Polish, not Russian iirc.

e: Ah didn't see the op's edit.

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
I was hooping someone could recommend me a book on Alexander the Great. Like is there an authoritative book on him.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just finished reading Nick Cave's "And The rear end Saw The Angel"

Thoroughly enjoyed. Any books with similar total utter gloomy doom/tragedy etc ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ryguy005 posted:

I was hooping someone could recommend me a book on Alexander the Great. Like is there an authoritative book on him.

There are a few different good ones. My personal favorite out of the ones I've read is Mary Renault's "The Nature of Alexander," but it's a little heavily pro-Alexander.

Another good one might be this one: http://www.amazon.com/The-Landmark-Arrian-Campaigns-Alexander/dp/1400079675

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 1, 2015