Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Troposphere posted:

what's also really funny is when straight dudes act like gay dudes because the gays are hilarious, but you see they aren't really gay because they love PUSSY, also poop

Troposphere posted:

what exactly did I miss? it's so hilarious when james franco gently caresses seth rogen's cheek in a romantic way, because it's funny when guys do that to each other because haha they're not gay they're straight! bromance definitely isn't getting to be a tired joke that has been beaten into the ground a million times, by these same actors, again and again. it's new and fresh every time!

Are you a homophobe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nah, just a big giant baby.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

lmao

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CelticPredator posted:

You made a conscious decision to watch a Seth Rogan movie and then get offended that it's a Seth Rogan movie.

Eeeeh I kind of liked the movie but this still isn't a valid argument.

Bonsai Superstar
Jul 22, 2007

HABU A NAISU DEI.
So maybe this is just me being behind the times, but it felt like this movie was edited really badly. Some of the joke pacing just felt awkward and too fast, like they were cut more like a trailer than an actual movie. Especially in the first half, it really stuck out to me. The song over the train was a good choice, but for the non-"Asian" soundtrack choices I think someone just found the Hangover soundtrack and said gently caress IT WE'RE DONE. I know there was a lot of editing going on down to the wire, but I thought that was more on gore. But it just didn't feel like a "finished" movie to me a lot of the time.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
this movie is utterly hilarious. Dave Skylark is Franco's best role and I'd pay multiple dollars to watch more movies with Dave Skylark. If you watch and loved Pineapple Express, this is the end, the interview is right up there in quality.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bonsai Superstar posted:

So maybe this is just me being behind the times, but it felt like this movie was edited really badly. Some of the joke pacing just felt awkward and too fast, like they were cut more like a trailer than an actual movie. Especially in the first half, it really stuck out to me. The song over the train was a good choice, but for the non-"Asian" soundtrack choices I think someone just found the Hangover soundtrack and said gently caress IT WE'RE DONE. I know there was a lot of editing going on down to the wire, but I thought that was more on gore. But it just didn't feel like a "finished" movie to me a lot of the time.

It kind of felt like the actual punchlines were edited out of the set-ups. Like they had the scene where Rappaport is making out with the North Korean PR woman and he's keeping his poison hand out and away from her. You kind of think it's going to pay off somehow, but then it never does, almost as if they cut the payoff scene out for time or because they didn't think it'd work but left the set-up in. Also the payload that Rappaport sticks up his butt. Ultimately he just hides it somewhere in the room and it's never mentioned again. It doesn't need to be rehidden, it doesn't wind up in any hilarious misadventure (like maybe a guard finds it and thinks it's actually an anal dildo), it just vanishes.

One of the most basic rules of storytelling in books or movies is that if you mention anything it has to pay off at some point. You don't introduce elements and then just drop them when they no longer serve the plot. The first hour-and-a-half feels like they edited the wrong parts and lingered too long on unnecessary poo poo, and then the last half-hour uses the quick-cutting to good use when it's just crazy poo poo and action. The last half-hour felt like it was from a completely different and better movie.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Troposphere posted:

it's still not funny

shut up boromir

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

It kind of felt like the actual punchlines were edited out of the set-ups. Like they had the scene where Rappaport is making out with the North Korean PR woman and he's keeping his poison hand out and away from her. You kind of think it's going to pay off somehow, but then it never does, almost as if they cut the payoff scene out for time or because they didn't think it'd work but left the set-up in. Also the payload that Rappaport sticks up his butt. Ultimately he just hides it somewhere in the room and it's never mentioned again. It doesn't need to be rehidden, it doesn't wind up in any hilarious misadventure (like maybe a guard finds it and thinks it's actually an anal dildo), it just vanishes.

One of the most basic rules of storytelling in books or movies is that if you mention anything it has to pay off at some point. You don't introduce elements and then just drop them when they no longer serve the plot. The first hour-and-a-half feels like they edited the wrong parts and lingered too long on unnecessary poo poo, and then the last half-hour uses the quick-cutting to good use when it's just crazy poo poo and action. The last half-hour felt like it was from a completely different and better movie.

I mean, not really, though? Rogen keeping his hand away from her was the punchline. It was a visual joke. If you really want to stretch it, Franco coming in and trying to use Rogen's hand to kill her was the payoff, but honestly it worked fine just with the sight gag. And with the payload, the joke is that we'd been led to believe Franco was just being an uncaring jackass about the situation, but when Rogen finally shows him the thing, it turns out he completely didn't know it was as big as an eggplant.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bonsai Superstar posted:

I thought it was weird that like none of the clips in the commercials appeared in the actual movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There was more gore, but Sony cut it down because they didn't get the movie.

Gore is hilarious.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Or in this case it was Sony. :smith:

raditts posted:

I thought it was weird that like none of the clips in the commercials appeared in the actual movie.

I've noticed this happens in a lot of movies. I'm not sure if they intentionally do that to show the show is interesting and not ruin anything or have you anticipating certain scenes. They probably add the scenes back into the DVD versions but by then I forget and don't pay attention.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bonsai Superstar posted:

Even as someone who got some chuckles out of the film, I definitely felt the same way. There were some serious pacing/editing issues.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Troposphere posted:

it's still not funny

Dude add me on tumblr

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I want that acoustic firework cover. Saw it this weekend with some friends and enjoyed it. It was pretty much the only film released during the holidays I was looking forward to though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A Vancouver-based blog showed that it really should be Canada that's blamed for this movie, not America

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/12/18-locations-vancouver-interview-filmed/

Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg = Vancouverites.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Blame Canada.
Blame Canada.
It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada!
Blame Canada!
They're not even a real country anyway

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
They took all morning at my place of work to use 2 seconds of film for this movie, lol.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I don't understand how this movie has a 7.5 on IMDB, this is quite possibly the worst movie i've ever watched or close to it. It's like the Streisand Effect warps people's perception of reality.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

I don't understand how this movie has a 7.5 on IMDB, this is quite possibly the worst movie i've ever watched or close to it. It's like the Streisand Effect warps people's perception of reality.

You need to see more bad movies.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You need to see more bad movies.

I went back a couple pages thinking goons would be panning the movie, but you guys like it? I feel like i'm in crazytown right now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You are in crazy town if this is the worst movie you've ever seen.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It's not an exceptional movie by any means, but it's a very solid, funny comedy. Rogen & crew are usually pretty consistent with that. It was as funny as Neighbors, but not quite as good as Pineapple Express or Superbad, and limiting how many "usuals" are in this one may have something to do with it. Then again, that might be the point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I missed Danny McBride.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's not an exceptional movie by any means, but it's a very solid, funny comedy. Rogen & crew are usually pretty consistent with that. It was as funny as Neighbors, but not quite as good as Pineapple Express or Superbad, and limiting how many "usuals" are in this one may have something to do with it. Then again, that might be the point.

Pretty much agree completely with this.

Plus, I mean, there are tons of people in this thread who hated it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CelticPredator posted:

You are in crazy town if this is the worst movie you've ever seen.

Either in crazy town or just have a very limited knowledge of movies. I haven't even seen Jack & Jill but I loving guarantee that it's a worse movie than The Interview. There is not a shred of hyperbole in that statement.

And for the record, not making GBS threads on a movie outright is not the same as lavishing praise on it. I didn't like like it but I thought it was fine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

You go watch Grown Ups 2 and you do it right the gently caress now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mister Fister posted:

I would very much like to live in a world where this is the worst movie I've seen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Xoidanor posted:

You go watch Grown Ups 2 and you do it right the gently caress now.

You monster!!

Go watch Paul Blart Mall Cop instead.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

It was brigaded up to the #1 movie on IMDB for a while. 7.5 seems reasonable.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its certainly one of the worst of the year although iFrankenstein certainly gives it a run for its money

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You clearly didn't see Sin City 2 or Dumb and Dumber 2. So no, it's not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zVxTeflon posted:

Its certainly one of the worst of the year although iFrankenstein certainly gives it a run for its money
No, it certainly isn't. There are several far worse movies that have come out all throughout 2014. If you think The Interview is one of the worst movies of the year or one of the worst movies you've ever seen, you must not watch many movies.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

King Vidiot posted:

Either in crazy town or just have a very limited knowledge of movies. I haven't even seen Jack & Jill but I loving guarantee that it's a worse movie than The Interview. There is not a shred of hyperbole in that statement.

And for the record, not making GBS threads on a movie outright is not the same as lavishing praise on it. I didn't like like it but I thought it was fine.

I haven't seen Jack & Jill, but this is funnier than anything in The Interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLvf7HaaRLA

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

zenintrude posted:

I haven't seen Jack & Jill, but this is funnier than anything in The Interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLvf7HaaRLA

Jesus Christ that is so not funny it hurts

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

No, it certainly isn't. There are several far worse movies that have come out all throughout 2014. If you think The Interview is one of the worst movies of the year or one of the worst movies you've ever seen, you must not watch many movies.

A comedy being bad isn't the same poo poo as something like transformers being bad. When your one and only goal is to be funny and you cant pull it off with a 2 hour run time then what redeeming qualities can you even have?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm so confused about people who watched this and hated it. Have you not seen any of Rogan and Franco's other comedies? Because it is 100% in line with their previous work. Were you expecting it to be wildly different for some bizarre reason?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

A comedy being bad isn't the same poo poo as something like transformers being bad. When your one and only goal is to be funny and you cant pull it off with a 2 hour run time then what redeeming qualities can you even have?

On the other hand Transformers is like 3 hours long and woulda actually much easier to be made not terrible compared to comedy which is one of the hardest things to do well.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked this movie as much if Danny McBride was in it. A lot of people like him but I find him grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

Considering The Interview looks great and has pretty well crafted visuals, I'd say a lot more than just being funny.

And seriously. Dumb and loving Dumber To came out this year. You really don't have to look far to find something worse.

• Locked thread