Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Lemme see if I can do this in five sentences -

- Yudowski thinks an AI should be able to reach backwards in time to build itself, because his understanding of AI's is that they're magical unicorn beings.

- In order to do this, his AI creates a bunch of simulated earths where it tortures anyone who doesn't donate to Yudowski's slush fund AI research institute.

- So now you're supposed to be afraid that you're a simulated person who will get tortured, so you donate to the Yud's anime fund.

Three! Gee, seems like this thread could be sixty-something pages shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ThirdEmperor posted:

Gee, seems like this thread could be sixty-something pages shorter.
There was this one guy who kept going "nuh-uh, you're wrong" whenever someone contradicted his idiot philosophy that he made up, without ever explaining what his philosophy was or why the person was wrong. Other idiots slapfought with him for at least ten pages.

:pyf:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's a seriously good thing that this thread is in GBS now.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ThirdEmperor posted:

- Yudowski thinks an AI should be able to reach backwards in time to build itself, because his understanding of AI's is that they're magical unicorn beings.

- In order to do this, his AI creates a bunch of simulated earths where it tortures anyone who doesn't donate to Yudowski's slush fund AI research institute.

- So now you're supposed to be afraid that you're a simulated person who will get tortured, so you donate to the Yud's anime fund.

There's a lot of hilarious poo poo that that's not about AI.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

i didnt click but one of the urls has "bitcoin cryonics" lol

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Okay 'Bitcoin Cryonics Fund' is inherently kind of funny.

Like they want to live forever so bad but they're so so bad at long term decisions.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ThirdEmperor posted:

so basically they invented a religion backwards, they invented the Atheist Rapture first and then they made up the Atheist Old-Testament God

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

so basically they invented a religion backwards, they invented the Atheist Rapture first and then they made up the Atheist Old-Testament God

no there is no atheist god, stop thinking about atheist god, oh god ITS GONNA KILL US IM SORRY ATHEIST GOD HAVE MY MONEY

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

Sleeveless posted:

Oh yeah, and it's all laid out using old, disproved religious arguments, even.

Beneath all the PFY-dumps about why, specifically, he's wrong, the Yud is actually running a full blown cult here.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Science-fiction-ey premise:

1. AI cultists believe that evil AI god will be built in the future
2. AI cultists believe that evil AI god will be able to interact with the past and punish them
3. AI cultists believe that evil AI god will punish everyone who didn't do their best to build it
4. AI cultists try to build evil AI god

Science-fiction-ey climax:
5. AI cultists eventually foiled by rival AI cult which believes that a good AI god will ALSO eventually be built, and will eternally reward everyone who worked to delay the coming of the evil AI god

Ending in reality:
5. AI cultists have no idea how to build the evil AI god, donate to a foundation which also has no idea, watch in confusion as IBM builds the closest thing yet to an AI and spends the next 60 years unsuccessfully trying to make the thing spontaneously learn to tie shoelaces from first principles

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

I can't wait to see the first celeb who declares themselves a follower of Yudkowskiism or MIRology or whatever they end up calling it.

How are we defining 'celebrity' here? Because Peter Thiel's a major driving force behind MIRI and Less Wrong.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

How are we defining 'celebrity' here? Because Peter Thiel's a major driving force behind MIRI and Less Wrong.

Peter Thiel's whole thing (and indeed most of Silicon Valley's thing) is being a major driving force behind, like, seventy terrible ideas, because at least one of them will probably turn out to be successful. If I had a fuckload of money and didn't have all the AI knowledge I do, I'd give a tiny fraction of my money to MIRI too, because they're a long-odds bet, and long-odds bets are the sort of thing you can do when you're ludicrously wealthy.

He would have to be insane to believe in them, but to invest? I don't think he's a True Believer.

And to the guy with the Catbug avatar, I'll still make effortposts now and again, I just expect to be called a nerd a couple times afterwards.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

SolTerrasa posted:

I'll still make effortposts now and again, I just expect to be called a nerd a couple times afterwards.

Thats cool man you can post p much how you like around here

And if someone calls you a nerd don't take it seriously

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Holy geez there's really sixty plus pages of people trying to explain that one bad post about metagaming play-pretend future cyber-extortion to each other here, that's awful, someone explain the cryonics thing to me and why these guys think they're going to freeze their brains and omnipotent future people with apparently nothing better to do will preserve them throughout infinity like the precious timeless jewels that they are.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Holy geez there's really sixty plus pages of people trying to explain that one bad post about metagaming play-pretend future cyber-extortion to each other here, that's awful, someone explain the cryonics thing to me and why these guys think they're going to freeze their brains and omnipotent future people with apparently nothing better to do will preserve them throughout infinity like the precious timeless jewels that they are.
uhhhhhhh because they're going to save the future by inventing the Strong Friendly AI and everyone will owe it to them and want to dig them up and suck them off

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

It has to be true that cryonics works otherwise death is inescapable and that's just too spooky.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

It has to be true that cryonics works otherwise death is inescapable and that's just too spooky.

I mean I figured that I'm just curious as to the elaborate future timeline wherein your great-great-great-grandson from one generation short of the era where they finally do work out the technology to unfuck frozen dead brains from olden tymes is going to pay to keep your dead rear end on ice instead of selling it to Purina for puppy chow. I don't even keep my old VHS tapes.

Like is it one of those things where the millennium is always one year off and cyber-Christ's kingdom of heaven is prophecied to arrive in our lifetimes, or do they actually have a hosed-up speculative timeline for all this nonsense like the Kurzweil guys?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

I mean I figured that I'm just curious as to the elaborate future timeline wherein your great-great-great-grandson from one generation short of the era where they finally do work out the technology to unfuck frozen dead brains from olden tymes is going to pay to keep your dead rear end on ice instead of selling it to Purina for puppy chow. I don't even keep my old VHS tapes.

Like is it one of those things where the millennium is always one year off and cyber-Christ's kingdom of heaven is prophecied to arrive in our lifetimes, or do they actually have a hosed-up speculative timeline for all this nonsense like the Kurzweil guys?

look, in the next 10-50 years we will learn immortality thanks to the wizards of science, then the evil ai building can begin.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

More the former than the latter. A lot of them think strong/Godlike AI is happening in the next century so you wouldn't have to hope your 10xth grandkid cares about you. If modern medicine advances enough that they all live to 150 then their kid would of course want to resurrect daddy. Undoubtedly they also have some tortured logic where future generations, being more perfect utilitarians, will want to resurrect the frozen dead to increase overall utilons.

If you want to read an actual good story about cryonics and why no one in the future will care about your dead self, try Bridesicle(PDF warning).

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Oh that's simple. gently caress you got mine, no inheritance, all their superior rationalist fortunes go into keeping them frozen and 'researching' AI.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
What would suck is if some kind of global catastrophe occurred that destroyed civilization/infrastructure/technology/etc because along with all the other hardships you just know these guys would be like "We were so close! So close to peace forever!" and people would believe them.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I predict that in the next 20 years someone is going to invent an absolutely incredible Jetson's remake about our eternal monarchist holodeck bitcoin future where Zynga has cured death.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

people who are into cryogenics and are wealthy tend to set up trusts so that their freezing can be funded in perpetuity. though some people do just assume their families will pay to have their corpses needlessly frozen forever, yes.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OK being indolent hyperrich and using all your money to turn yourself into an eternal ice mummy I can understand, they're just bitching out on having their wives and servants cryogenically preserved alive alongside them and that's fine, for losers.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Know what's real fun and cool? Not being rich but doing cryo anyways by funding it with life insurace.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I bet you're paying for your army of terra cotta warriors with welfare money too, aren't you?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

My bitcoin rig was bought with welfare money, yes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I bet you're paying for your army of terra cotta warriors with welfare money too, aren't you?

Don't compare cryonics to terra cotta warriors!

Cryonics is far less empirically supported.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Moddington posted:

Know what's real fun and cool? Not being rich but doing cryo anyways by funding it with life insurace.
How does that work, exactly

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nessus posted:

How does that work, exactly

You get your insurance payout, which is probably more than the 80,000$ it costs to do full body cryo, and then you start the procedure. This is rather a big problem with the whole thing, because by the time the insurance cuts your cheque you may have been dead for a while. They have a bunch of schemes to keep your body as cold as possible or forward the death certificate extremely quickly or get a short-term loan or whatever but basically it requires you to believe in the future we will be able to reliably revivify 3 day old corpses.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bartlebyshop posted:

but basically it requires you to believe in the future we will be able to reliably revivify 3 day old corpses.

I wonder if they've ever seen the survival rates of cardiac arrest, because holy poo poo, right now getting a 2-minute old, otherwise healthy corpse back is like winning the loving lotto.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wonder if they've ever seen the survival rates of cardiac arrest, because holy poo poo, right now getting a 2-minute old, otherwise healthy corpse back is like winning the loving lotto.

yeah and unfortunately we've reached the pinnacle of medical science, especially neurology and it's all downhill from here

The flaming lip
Oct 1, 2005
Likes shitty music

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah and unfortunately we've reached the pinnacle of medical science, especially neurology and it's all downhill from here

Farrrrrrrtttttt

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Robo Reagan posted:

Yes, yes, they'll invent magical stuff

I think the number of people who have come back from being dead for three days is at zero (one case is highly disputed)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

To be fair, you can get hours under ideal circumstances.

Falling into super cold water is the most reversible way to die.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SolTerrasa posted:

Peter Thiel's whole thing (and indeed most of Silicon Valley's thing) is being a major driving force behind, like, seventy terrible ideas, because at least one of them will probably turn out to be successful. If I had a fuckload of money and didn't have all the AI knowledge I do, I'd give a tiny fraction of my money to MIRI too, because they're a long-odds bet, and long-odds bets are the sort of thing you can do when you're ludicrously wealthy.

He would have to be insane to believe in them, but to invest? I don't think he's a True Believer.

And to the guy with the Catbug avatar, I'll still make effortposts now and again, I just expect to be called a nerd a couple times afterwards.

Thiel is a devout Rondroid who once wrote a book called 'The Diversity Myth' whining about how minorities sometimes got to say stuff on Stanford University campus, funnels a lot of money into having kids leave school early so they can become captains of industry, and was responsible for this Cato Institute essay.

quote:

As one fast-forwards to 2009, the prospects for a libertarian politics appear grim indeed. Exhibit A is a financial crisis caused by too much debt and leverage, facilitated by a government that insured against all sorts of moral hazards — and we know that the response to this crisis involves way more debt and leverage, and way more government. Those who have argued for free markets have been screaming into a hurricane. The events of recent months shatter any remaining hopes of politically minded libertarians. For those of us who are libertarian in 2009, our education culminates with the knowledge that the broader education of the body politic has become a fool’s errand.

Indeed, even more pessimistically, the trend has been going the wrong way for a long time. To return to finance, the last economic depression in the United States that did not result in massive government intervention was the collapse of 1920–21. It was sharp but short, and entailed the sort of Schumpeterian “creative destruction” that could lead to a real boom. The decade that followed — the roaring 1920s — was so strong that historians have forgotten the depression that started it. The 1920s were the last decade in American history during which one could be genuinely optimistic about politics. Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians — have rendered the notion of “capitalist democracy” into an oxymoron.

That's the right mindset for a Less Wronger, and the sheer amount of ink he's spilled over the Singularity suggests that yep, he' a true believer.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Yes, yes, they'll invent magical stuff

I think the number of people who have come back from being dead for three days is at zero (one case is highly disputed)

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
less wrong == more dumb

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ted williams is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

quote:

welfare beneficiaries and women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians

• Locked thread