Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MJP posted:

Time to enable even greater laziness in non-painted kit building!

welcome to the club pal :cool:

also hlj just got some more of the backordered lbx weapon sets if anyone except me cares about danball in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, Duel Gundam Assault Shroud looks god damned amazing.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Hey all! I'm curious about buying a model or two for use in RPGs/Wargaming, I was wondering if there was a good website to look at the various models. I mostly have 28mm scaled figures, and am looking for something to paint up, perhaps add some rust, corrosion and the like.

I haven't followed Gundam since Toonami in the late 90s, so I'm not sure about the variety of models, but I always loved the Zaku mobile suits or the lesser mobile suits that get carved up by the protagonists (you know, the 'Stormtroopers' of the show).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You could just look at dalong, he's got detailed photo reviews of pretty much everything.

There's an english catalog option too if you don't like Korean.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

There's an english catalog option too if you don't like Korean.

Many thanks! The Patlabor and Gundam models are giving me quite the nostalgia trip :awesomelon:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm jealous of anyone who has ever successfully bought off HLJ. No matter what time, if I want something, it's out of stock.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

I'm jealous of anyone who has ever successfully bought off HLJ. No matter what time, if I want something, it's out of stock.

If you go through with adding it to your cart and "buying" it they don't charge you and give you the option to pay once it's in before it goes into stock.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I think I remember hearing somewhere that the MG Turn A was supposed to come with an action base, is that not the case? Mine doesn't have one, at least. What's the right size base for 1/100 kits, anyway?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think I remember hearing somewhere that the MG Turn A was supposed to come with an action base, is that not the case? Mine doesn't have one, at least. What's the right size base for 1/100 kits, anyway?

Action base 1.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just got curious, are there any HGs with great articulation, on the level of Build Burning and 00Q, that aren't Gundams?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe RG have better articulation since they are just a sized down MG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Most of the time, kits only come with bases if they either can't or have a ton of trouble with standing on their own. Aile Strike, for instance. Some MGs have gimmicks they provide a base for too; 00Q, Red Frame Custom, Turn X, Nu vKa, etc.

Anyways, no, Turn A does not come with an AB1. It comes with a plug that lets you mount it to an AB1 though.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got curious, are there any HGs with great articulation, on the level of Build Burning and 00Q, that aren't Gundams?

...Genoace?

It doesn't really have much of an arm or leg bend,

but it's got that ever so rare torso articulation.

and it's an AGE kit, so you can just scavenge the AGE-1 Normal's arms/legs and stick them to the Genoace torso.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 7, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

You might be thinking of the MG Turn X, which does come with a custom AB1.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So what's my best bet for a super gundam right now? Aside from the RD, I guess. MG 2.0 and scavenge the G-Defenser from the 1.0? HGUC G Defenser and RG MK II?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RG mkII and the BTF G-Defender/Flying Armor pack. Search "BTF Gundam" on eBay and you should find a ton.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i knew i could count on you or taurus or bimmi, in no particular order

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
I have my work cut out for me. :jeb: Already working on the Nu V.Ka.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If anyone hadn't heard, apparently Bandai underestimated demand for the PG Unicorn (how they could do that I don't know) and shipped less than distributors had ordered. The second wave will ship in April. If you haven't already gotten a notification that your order is shipping, or were waiting to order one, you will probably have to wait a couple of months.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well lately PGs haven't been doing all that well, so they probably just assumed PG Unicorn would follow the trend.

The fact that it didn't is actually good news for the line!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Is the HG O Gundam basically just a less flexible HG AGE-1? "Actual" designs aside, I mean.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I was at my local hobby shop, and a $30 RG Zaku II was staring at me from the shelves the whole time I was playing X-Wing. If it's still there on Saturday, I think I might be back into this hobby after building various MGs all through my high school years mis-spent on Gundam fansites.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
New real grade prototypes are looking great

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

New real grade prototypes are looking great

I have one of those little guys on my desk too! :3:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

Well lately PGs haven't been doing all that well, so they probably just assumed PG Unicorn would follow the trend.

The fact that it didn't is actually good news for the line!

I can't think of a suit popular enough for them to continue the line with, honestly, considering how expensive it must be to design and manufacture those things. Maybe the Nu, if that doesn't already have one? Most of the massively popular suits already have PGs. I can see why they didn't make any more for years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Bones posted:

I can't think of a suit popular enough for them to continue the line with, honestly, considering how expensive it must be to design and manufacture those things. Maybe the Nu, if that doesn't already have one? Most of the massively popular suits already have PGs. I can see why they didn't make any more for years.

The G-Self'll probably get one at some point.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Red Bones posted:

The only ones that might stand a chance:
Unicorn variants (because duh)
Sinanju (Unicorn hypetrain and popular)
Nu Gundam (Iconic MS)
GM (I doubt they will ever want to 2.0 a PG 78-2 and this is a solid choice)

After that it gets even more shaky IMO. Either something from SEED/D (Very popular), Exia/00Q (reusable frame) or the gundams without a lot of high engineering gimmicks (Ground Gundam, God Gundam, AGE1, etc) and ofcourse should the shows be popular enough <currently airing show here>

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm surprised Exia or 00 don't already have a PG, it seems to be a perennial fan favourite.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Have they made PGs of the astray and all of its variants? That's something massively popular.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Have they made PGs of the astray and all of its variants? That's something massively popular.

Yes, the Astray Red has a PG. The 00-Gundam has one too, incidentally.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

In that case, have they made every backpack variation of the Strike?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My unicorn LEDs finally shipped. I cant wait to start building this monster. Maybe I can finish it before they announce PG banshee and I lose interest in the vanilla unicorn.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fauxtool posted:

My unicorn LEDs finally shipped. I cant wait to start building this monster. Maybe I can finish it before they announce PG banshee and I lose interest in the vanilla unicorn.

A-Are you ok? You should take your temperature, I mean, you, build something? Are you sure you don't want to put the box on a shelf instead? If something is wrong we can help you through it, you can rely on us. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did it. I finished my first gunpla. It's full of scratch marks because I had no clue what I was doing, it falls apart as soon as you breath on it, I didn't paint or panel-line it and I even forgot to put the stickers on it, but it's at least built.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I did it. I finished my first gunpla. It's full of scratch marks because I had no clue what I was doing, it falls apart as soon as you breath on it, I didn't paint or panel-line it and I even forgot to put the stickers on it, but it's at least built.

Hrm... how are you cutting the pieces off the sprue? You should remove a piece with some of the runner still one, and then snip the runner off the actual piece itself. Use a knife and very careful slide it along the side of the piece so the only thing it will cut is flash that might still be left. If you do that you should be ok with no scratches. :)

By the by, any of you lucky bastards get SOC GaoGaiGar yet? I pre-ordered from Toy Source and I'm still waiting for them to ask for payment :ohdear:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrm... how are you cutting the pieces off the sprue? You should remove a piece with some of the runner still one, and then snip the runner off the actual piece itself. Use a knife and very careful slide it along the side of the piece so the only thing it will cut is flash that might still be left. If you do that you should be ok with no scratches. :)

By the by, any of you lucky bastards get SOC GaoGaiGar yet? I pre-ordered from Toy Source and I'm still waiting for them to ask for payment :ohdear:

I got better at it as I went along, yeah.

I forgot to say what I made: it's a Zollidia.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My HG Gundam X arrived, and in a burst of enthusiasm, I finished it in one sitting.

Sweet jesus it's cool. Pride of place on my display shelf, with the Satellite Cannon fully deployed :hellyeah:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I hate stickers more than I hate painting, and so I'm replicating the chest scar on my MG Turn X with Gundam Markers. I figure it's going under the transparent dark plastic, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but how long between coats would you recommend I wait to ensure I don't pick any of this silver paint up with my colored markers?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A-Are you ok? You should take your temperature, I mean, you, build something? Are you sure you don't want to put the box on a shelf instead? If something is wrong we can help you through it, you can rely on us. :(

i ran out of shelf space. I need to build something before the boxes win

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fauxtool posted:

i ran out of shelf space. I need to build something before the boxes win
Let me PM you my address...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

I hate stickers more than I hate painting, and so I'm replicating the chest scar on my MG Turn X with Gundam Markers. I figure it's going under the transparent dark plastic, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but how long between coats would you recommend I wait to ensure I don't pick any of this silver paint up with my colored markers?

The stickers underneath the clear blue sections of the G-self have been my exception to the no sticker rule. I figure the panels are going to protect them from damage, so go hog wild.