Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

The sabbath is on Saturday, not Sunday.

The Sabbath actually starts on Friday, at sunset, and lasts until sunset the next day (Saturday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This thread is loving crazy. 12 people dead in a terror attack and the pertinent discussion at hand is the defense of Islam and to offset any criticism of said religion with the criticism of Christianity (and sometimes other mentioned religions/beliefs).

It's even crazier when that discussion revolves around ISIS and Al Queda, who use public displays of terrorism to exalt their religious justification of their actions.

Congratulations, you're witnessing the loathsome reaction commonly seen to this sort of event. It's a defect in judgment characterized by victim-blaming, white guilt, and self-loathing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

thompson posted:

This thread is toxic as all get out.

On a completely different front, these guys allegedly had a rocket launcher with them. Not sure if it was something as simple as an RPG or if it was some sort of other system. I'm not very in tune with smuggling, but it seems like something like that would be difficult to get into a country. Am I completely wrong? Are there tons of RPGs rolling around the US, Spain, Britain, etc?

There are probably quite a few from old Central European arsenals that could be gotten to France in the trunk of a car; the UK, maybe, the IRA managed to get some into their stockpiles but I'm guessing those are much harder to come by there now that they have largely disarmed. In the U.S. it's actually a fairly uncommon thing to find since it's never been really held in any arsenals unless it's coming up from Central/South America.

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Islam is the bad apple.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

LLCoolJD posted:

Congratulations, you're witnessing the loathsome reaction commonly seen to this sort of event. It's a defect in judgment characterized by victim-blaming, white guilt, and self-loathing.

Yes this is what is happening in this thread, all these things in that order.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I didn't hear any automatic fire. Either those guys were well trained and disciplined (and they did appear to be, from their movement and the head shot on the wounded police officer while running) and kept their rifles on semi, or those were "sporter" AKs made for civilian export.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tortuga posted:

If the bible does say that then yes, there is a fault in Christianity, well spotted.

I did not say there wasn't a fault in Christianity.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

thompson posted:

This thread is toxic as all get out.

I miss when there used to be a thread for these events in GBS so it wouldn't bleed over as badly into D&D

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah.... no. No, it wouldn't.

So if I go out right now and shoot up something because JESUS, I'm not to blame? Sweet!

Remember when everyone got mad at Sarah Palin for using target markers and having one on Giffords district?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Periodiko posted:

Jesus Christ, this is the guy that wanted to get into a debate about religion.

lol, nice quick edit there buddy.

You don't think the beliefs of these guys had anything to do with what they did? They're just really harsh cartoon critics?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LLCoolJD posted:

You forgot politically correct and SJW.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

thompson posted:

Are France and the Ukraine comparable in terms of border presence? You'll have to forgive me, I don't get out of the US much ever, it's expensive.

If you can get it into a Schengen country then it should be smooth sailing as long as some random traffic police or other doesn't stop you to check your trunk or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I blame Political Correctness gone mad for the disagreeable tone of this thread.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Eye of Widesauron posted:

There are probably quite a few from old Central European arsenals that could be gotten to France in the trunk of a car; the UK, maybe, the IRA managed to get some into their stockpiles but I'm guessing those are much harder to come by there now that they have largely disarmed. In the U.S. it's actually a fairly uncommon thing to find since it's never been really held in any arsenals unless it's coming up from Central/South America.

Really cool insight. Thanks!

It just seemed kind of crazy to me. AK-47's are big in size to me so I can't imagine how much one would be sweating if they chose to smuggle in a loving RPG.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thompson posted:

It just seemed kind of crazy to me. AK-47's are big in size to me so I can't imagine how much one would be sweating if they chose to smuggle in a loving RPG.

"If we get caught we just start shooting now instead of later"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Retail Slave posted:

It's like if a Fundimentalist Christian would attack a sporting event held on a Sunday because The Bible says kill those who don't honor the Sabbath and blah blah blah. That wouldn't be Christianity's fault. It would be the fault of the person/people who carried out the attack.

Ha, no one here in D&D would excuse away Christianity's role in that event.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I would report you for being stupid and a bad poster regardless of what you actually post, inshallah.

You are stupid. You are also a bad poster.

:(

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I blame Political Correctness gone mad for the disagreeable tone of this thread.

Youre the one claiming that 80% of europeans are deeply racist. You are making GBS threads this thread up with kneejerk trollposts. Please go to BYOB, and stay there, you'd be a hit I'm sure.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

spacetoaster posted:

lol, nice quick edit there buddy.

You don't think the beliefs of these guys had anything to do with what they did? They're just really harsh cartoon critics?

Does it bother you that you don't appear to actually know anything about anything?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

703 posted:

I miss when there used to be a thread for these events in GBS so it wouldn't bleed over as badly into D&D

D&D is so much better when it's an echo chamber.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

thompson posted:

When an RPG is unloaded they're smaller than most people think. The front part is just a removable rocket that can be stored separately. There are also several folding variants out there for paratroopers and such. I'm guessing that there aren't people inspecting the boot of every car coming out of Central Europe but I could be wrong on that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Randarkman posted:

The Sabbath actually starts on Friday, at sunset, and lasts until sunset the next day (Saturday).

Yeah, a lot of people don't even know that much about either religion. The next scary question is why aren't christians obeying the old jewish laws pertaining to the sabbath in the old testament? It's almost like they don't have to or something.

Have these guys gone completely dark? I can't understand the French videos, but shouldn't these guys have gotten caught by now?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Retail Slave posted:

So if I go out right now and shoot up something because JESUS, I'm not to blame? Sweet!
No, you're to blame. And whatever cultural apparatus enabled you to kill in the name of X probably needs closer examination.

There's no controversy in implicating neoconservatism in the atrocities of the Iraq War. Why is it suddenly taboo when you're discussing religion? Not some platonic ideal of the religion, but how that religion is actually interpreted and practised by real people.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

You are like the people who said we could never know why Elliot Rodger killed those people because he was crazy. Who cares that he wrote a manifesto talking about how women should be put into concentration camps and starved to death, with only a small number bred to be raped so the human race could survive, he was just CRAAAAAAAZY.

Eliot Rodger WAS crazy, and his extreme misogyny caused him to act out his mental illness in a specific destructive way.

Similarly, if the scenario you described happened, it would be the perpetrator's fault, AND his extreme Christian faith's fault as well for causing him to carry out a specific kind of violent act. There clearly was a reason he attacked these people at this time, no?

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I'm guessing that there aren't people inspecting the boot of every car coming out of Central Europe but I could be wrong on that.

Well, not until now I guess right?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Retail Slave posted:

My wife called me from work about this absolultely flipping out because her dad is in Paris right at this very minute. I keep telling her that he's safe and this was a targeted attack, not "gently caress everyone, lets just kill as many citizens as possible" like others.

Does your wife really think her dad is a target of terrorists? That is some kind of hysterical reaction.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"Western Liberalism is a philosophy of peace."
*drone strikes a wedding*

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Apart from how a lot of muslim folks are not educated (in a western style) theyre also different. They dress and look different compares to other migrants so its obviois muslims
Would be harder to assimilate. While migrants from 80s 70s etc. were generally more secular and educated since they came from middle class escaping iranian revolution or countries lilelebanon ehile the muslims from 2000s are all escaping war torn countries and generallly more poor. (This is an assumption based on observation in australia).

Anyway these gunmen look pro. Also hating people defending muslims, i feel lile theyre defending ordinary germans and the holocaust trying to shift guilt from collectively to a few bad apples. Im not saying majority of muslims are not peaceful but there is major presence of anti western sentiment and anti-semitism amongst muslims. I seee this on fb and youtube, muslims blaming isis pn zionist or mossad or watever and these few apples arent just a few isolated bad apples they represent major undercurrents of an entire religion and region. There is the jews: isis, syrian and france in north africa for example. The whole thing is really complicated and nothing shits me more than comparing islamist to chrisitian extremist or people defending the majority of moderates. I just believe when stuff like this happens society is guilty, im not saying america are not assholes medling in alot of countries affairs but everyones hand is dirty if you are part of the flavor of islam that is what we see in majority of muslim countries. And yes i get the shits when people excuse the wehrmacht or ordinary germans from war crime or holocaust only shifting blame to ss or nazis but thats another debate not that i think they should be persecuted and punished but i think they cant avoid guilt just like muslims in this case. Again im not saying ordinary muslims should be assaulted by rear end clowns but i believe guilt seeps into every member of a society or group if they commit acts like this and people are apathetic or sympathetic even if its natural to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Ha, no one here in D&D would excuse away Christianity's role in that event.

I'm well aware. Everyone on SA is a Super Atheist, so simply any mention of any religion or religous diety anywhere sends the majority of the populace here into a frothing rage.

What I'm saying is that you can be told anything. It's completely your choice if you choose to do it.

Quick! Strip down to your underwear, lather yourself up in motor oil, and run screaming down your street until you get arrested. Then say "IT'S NOT MY FAULT! SOME GUY ON THE INTERNET TOLD ME TO DO IT!" and see how far that gets you.

Oh, except that brings cops into the matter. That's another can of worms.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

astupiddvdcase posted:

Apart from how a lot of muslim folks are not educated (in a western style) theyre also different. They dress and look different compares to other migrants so its obviois muslims
Would be harder to assimilate. While migrants from 80s 70s etc. were generally more secular and educated since they came from middle class escaping iranian revolution or countries lilelebanon ehile the muslims from 2000s are all escaping war torn countries and generallly more poor. (This is an assumption based on observation in australia).

Anyway these gunmen look pro. Also hating people defending muslims, i feel lile theyre defending ordinary germans and the holocaust trying to shift guilt from collectively to a few bad apples. Im not saying majority of muslims are not peaceful but there is major presence of anti western sentiment and anti-semitism amongst muslims. I seee this on fb and youtube, muslims blaming isis pn zionist or mossad or watever and these few apples arent just a few isolated bad apples they represent major undercurrents of an entire religion and region. There is the jews: isis, syrian and france in north africa for example. The whole thing is really complicated and nothing shits me more than comparing islamist to chrisitian extremist or people defending the majority of moderates. I just believe when stuff like this happens society is guilty, im not saying america are not assholes medling in alot of countries affairs but everyones hand is dirty if you are part of the flavor of islam that is what we see in majority of muslim countries. And yes i get the shits when people excuse the wehrmacht or ordinary germans from war crime or holocaust only shifting blame to ss or nazis but thats another debate not that i think they should be persecuted and punished but i think they cant avoid guilt just like muslims in this case. Again im not saying ordinary muslims should be assaulted by rear end clowns but i believe guilt seeps into every member of a society or group if they commit acts like this and people are apathetic or sympathetic even if its natural to.
:stare:What is happening with this post.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Agrajag posted:

Does your wife really think her dad is a target of terrorists? That is some kind of hysterical reaction.

My mum wants to call everybody up whenever there's trouble in Israel going on about how my sister is "in the middle of a war" or something (she's married to an Israeli), I think it's just a dramatic excuse to prattle on.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

unlimited shrimp posted:

No, you're to blame. And whatever cultural apparatus enabled you to kill in the name of X probably needs closer examination.

There's no controversy in implicating neoconservatism in the atrocities of the Iraq War. Why is it suddenly taboo when you're discussing religion? Not some platonic ideal of the religion, but how that religion is actually interpreted and practised by real people.

Yeah, I dont get why some people are so inherently resistant to the thought that Islam needs to examine itself and modernize its teachings in order to work better in a modern society.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

GyverMac posted:

Yeah, I dont get why some people are so inherently resistant to the thought that Islam needs to examine itself and modernize its teachings in order to work better in a modern society.

I never once said that. Islam has plenty of hosed up poo poo in it. So does Christianity and just about every other single organized religion in the history of the world.

I'm just saying here that I don't blame the religion if an extremist decides to warp the teachings to fit his personal agenda. That's more the perpetrator playing mental gymnastics in order to justify whatever he wants to do.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, a lot of people don't even know that much about either religion. The next scary question is why aren't christians obeying the old jewish laws pertaining to the sabbath in the old testament? It's almost like they don't have to or something.

Have these guys gone completely dark? I can't understand the French videos, but shouldn't these guys have gotten caught by now?

The fact that Sunday is "a day of rest" in the West where most people don't go to work and shops close in fact is a rather modern phenomenon (19th century or so) and is more due to the efforts the Labor movement in collusion with Christian groups and others than due to "keeping the sabbath sacred". Or atleast that's the case in much of Europe. Sunday is the day you go to church it is not the Sabbath, though there have been some Christians in more recent times who have observed the Sabbath in some way or form, but Western/European society in general does not even if you get off work on Sunday.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Holy poo poo there's straight up white-hood cross-burning racism going on @ reddit now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2rmuck/dont_waste_my_time_with_islam_christopher_hitchens/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GyverMac posted:

There's nothing "moderate" Muslims can do to curb extremism, period. It's not in their power and it's not their job anyway.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

Sarah Palin bought an account?

Radbot posted:

Holy poo poo there's straight up white-hood cross-burning racism going on @ reddit now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2rmuck/dont_waste_my_time_with_islam_christopher_hitchens/
So same as any other day?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Always mind boggling that the most violent, repressive religion gets essentially defended by people who self-describe as "liberal." Muslim terrorist attack after Muslim terrorist attack, the script is the same. "Please think of all of the good Muslim people!" "It's just a coincidence that these hundreds of terrorist attacks have all been perpetrated by Muslims." "Christianity is just as bad!!!!!" Thread is super predictable in its abundance of horrible posting.

How about we just think that the world has a shitload of good people in it, including many Muslims? That the VAST majority of people on this Earth don't want to kill random people?

Let's start with that baseline. Then let's examine Islam irrespective of whether its adherents are "good" or "bad." And when you examine that religion, you find shockingly backwards and violent teachings . Being gay can be a death sentence in Islamic countries due to the religion. Apospasty is a death sentence due to the religion. Women are widely regarded as property due to the religion. If a Muslim woman is raped, a commonplace occurrence in Muslim countries, she is now at risk of being killed by her family members due to the religion. Sexual abuse is rife due to the religion. Blaspheming can lead to death (and has led to death today) due to the religion. And finally, and perhaps most importantly, killing non-believers is encouraged.

Maybe, just maybe, the religion founded by a violent psychopath pedophile is the problem. Maybe, just maybe, Muhammad was a bad person, and that bad people who are Muslims can follow his example and start killing random people, hanging gay people, beating raped women to death, marrying children, and all sorts of other deplorable things. People like the lovely posters in this thread and people who share their views in the media (e.g. Ben Affleck) are a major problem in this world. They refuse to identify Islam for what it is. They ignore reality. They're enablers. The Neville Chamberlains of the modern world.

And, please, enough with the "it's religion that is the problem!!!!" There is no Christian airplane hijacking epidemic. The world is not facing a problem of Buddhists going around beheading children. There are not Jewish people putting bombs on themselves and blowing up a bus full of people or blowing up a pizzeria. Hindus aren't blowing up night clubs. Atheists aren't blowing up trains. Taoists aren't killing people for drawing cartoons. RELIGION in and of itself isn't the issue. That equivalency doesn''t exist in any plane of reality. Islam has a virtual monopoly on violence. And try as you might to ignore that fact, you get reminded year after year with each new terrorist attack that you are obnoxiously wrong.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 7, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

I never once said that. Islam has plenty of hosed up poo poo in it. So does Christianity and just about every other single organized religion in the history of the world.

I'm just saying here that I don't blame the religion if an extremist decides to warp the teachings to fit his personal agenda. That's more the perpetrator playing mental gymnastics in order to justify whatever he wants to do.

We must remember to always pay respect to the GOP, the actions of its members are not representative of its true nature.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Retail Slave posted:

I'm just saying here that I don't blame the religion if an extremist decides to warp the teachings to fit his personal agenda.

There's a difference between examining how religious fundamentalism is harmful to modern society and proclaiming a blanket condemnation of a whole religion like the others are any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

khwarezm posted:

This is the problem.

astupiddvdcase posted:

(This is an assumption based on observation in australia)

• Locked thread