Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

sklnd posted:

I'm in Westminster, and the big list of approved trash services blew my mind. My trash day is Monday, and I get to wake up to the sounds of a couple different trash trucks rumbling down the street.

Who did you go with? I didn't shop around much when I got my house last April.

Pack man. $68 a quarter for garbage weekly and recycle every other. My buddy uses them and said people say they are no good but the pick everything up each week so... Waste management was getting too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Happiness Commando posted:

Real men only drink the finest Russian Baltimore vodka. $10 / handle is good with money, right?

In college we ended up with a bottle of Grey Goose that then got refilled with Vladi for 3 years and never had a complaint. #lifehack

Folly
May 26, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

In college we ended up with a bottle of Grey Goose that then got refilled with Vladi for 3 years and never had a complaint. #lifehack

Wasn't there an internet thing a few years ago about running cheap vodka through a Brita filter and making it taste like good vodka? Does that work? I've never really been a big vodka fan.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Folly posted:

Wasn't there an internet thing a few years ago about running cheap vodka through a Brita filter and making it taste like good vodka? Does that work? I've never really been a big vodka fan.

Mythbusters found it did seem to improve the taste noticeably but you can't make the dirt cheap ones taste like top shelf.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 5, 2015

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I didn't see a really good place to post this. I need to get my PMP for silly reasons. I have all the experience required etc. My company will pay for the whole thing and would also be fine if I spend most of a week doing a bootcamp, so I'm mostly concerned with finding the least painful way of going about meeting the requirements and being able to pass the test. Anyone else gotten theirs? How did you do it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Oakey posted:

I didn't see a really good place to post this. I need to get my PMP for silly reasons. I have all the experience required etc. My company will pay for the whole thing and would also be fine if I spend most of a week doing a bootcamp, so I'm mostly concerned with finding the least painful way of going about meeting the requirements and being able to pass the test. Anyone else gotten theirs? How did you do it?

Sign up for the class (you need the 40 hours to take the exam). Go to class. Sign up for exam. Pass exam. It is basically that simple.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Everything Burrito posted:

This is a big issue for me and I hate it, especially when I'm tossing something out and think "welp there's $3 right into the trash" :sigh: I spend more per item plus drive further to get to a store that carries smaller packaged items like milk in quart cartons, because it feels like less of a waste to use up the smaller amount vs getting a gallon of milk at the closer store and pouring out 2/3 of it because it went bad before I finished it. Anything that can be frozen gets frozen which helps, but I still end up with fresh veggies or something that I bought thinking "I will cook X and Y for dinner this week" and then never got around to it and forgot to freeze them before they got nasty.

Catching up on the thread and wanted to let people know milk freezes well - I grew up somewhere without reliable winter access to "fresh" (as opposed to canned, powder or weird shelf-stable tetrapacked) milk, so when a delivery would come in, my parents would buy a crap load and throw it in the freezer. Not super helpful for one single large container of milk, but in :canada: its great if you're a low-flow milk household and want to take advantage of the cheaper bagged milk. I wince whenever we run out of milk at work and I'm forced to spend as much on a 1l from a convenience store as I spend for the 4l bags otherwise.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Had to call my bank about a damaged card and the guy was like, "So, I see that you have a large amount in your checking account..." and I said, "Yup! That's the way I like it!" (We have about 11k floating around in there, education savings and stuff). We need a combination :smug: and :feelsgood: emoticon for this sort of thing.

Then he tried to get me to get a mortgage. Banks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Haha, what? "Hey man you've got a sizable emergency fund. Buy a house?"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't had to visit the bank since I sold my first home but the only thing they've ever tried to sell me in the past 10 years was a CD. :shrug:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Had to call my bank about a damaged card and the guy was like, "So, I see that you have a large amount in your checking account..."

BB&T did this to me last week. They must have some new up-sell script. I was a bit shocked they thought it was a good idea to have a rando try and "suggest" things to me based on my balance. Shut up and hold my money, I don't need your in-person banner-ad style unsolicited advice. I'm just trying to deposit a loving check so I can transfer all that money out of your bank and into vanguard.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've also got in an inordinate amount of money in my checking account(s) (a result of transferring three years of savings from Japan + 3 years of a pension refund, and having to pay an $8k tuition bill soon), I'd still be protected if someone cloned my debit card and starting making purchases, right? IIRC it happened to me a long time ago, pretty sure everything was OK.

Also, gonna go close down my Wells Fargo account this week. They've been bleeding me for $5/mo since I haven't been making direct deposits into it, and I've been putting up with it because that was the one my parents could deposit money into (which I'd then transfer to my new-ish USAA account), and I had a few autopayments that were hard to change (looking at you, Zune subscription). Finally got everything switched and the USAA one set up with a parent's name on it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've also got in an inordinate amount of money in my checking account(s) (a result of transferring three years of savings from Japan + 3 years of a pension refund, and having to pay an $8k tuition bill soon), I'd still be protected if someone cloned my debit card and starting making purchases, right? IIRC it happened to me a long time ago, pretty sure everything was OK.
If you caught it within 24 hours, I think so, maybe. If someone initiated an ACH transfer, no.

The lack of protections on checking accounts is why I try and funnel everything through CCs. That, and the cashback.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
What options do I have in California trying to get rid of a 2003 Ford Focus with ~100k miles on it. It needs new tires, brakes, the check engine light is on, and it recently died on me while driving on the freeway (battery light issue). The thing is only worth about ~$2,000-$3,000 in working condition and we don't need two cars so I'd rather just get rid of it, but not sure what my options are with the check engine light on.

Anyone know if it can be sold as a PNO to a scrap yard or something? Can I donate it with the check engine light on and just write it off? Any suggestions? Tried Googling it and the answers were mixed and matched so figured if anyone had gone through this before maybe they could shed some light.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You can probably donate it to NPR (California public radio moist likely) in that condition. I would just call and see. They will sell it and send you the amount they got.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Bugamol posted:

What options do I have in California trying to get rid of a 2003 Ford Focus with ~100k miles on it. It needs new tires, brakes, the check engine light is on, and it recently died on me while driving on the freeway (battery light issue). The thing is only worth about ~$2,000-$3,000 in working condition and we don't need two cars so I'd rather just get rid of it, but not sure what my options are with the check engine light on.

Anyone know if it can be sold as a PNO to a scrap yard or something? Can I donate it with the check engine light on and just write it off? Any suggestions? Tried Googling it and the answers were mixed and matched so figured if anyone had gone through this before maybe they could shed some light.

You can definitely sell it to a junkyard/pick n pull or actual scrap yard. They won't pay much, but if you can drive it there you'll get something, maybe a couple hundred bucks. You could also donate it like spwrozek said.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

According to my Chase year-end statement, I spent $6990 on restaurants and bars last year. Oops

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Omne posted:

According to my Chase year-end statement, I spent $6990 on restaurants and bars last year. Oops

:smug:

Wait...

What the gently caress?

Oh, that's... good I guess?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Had to call my bank about a damaged card and the guy was like, "So, I see that you have a large amount in your checking account..." and I said, "Yup! That's the way I like it!" (We have about 11k floating around in there, education savings and stuff). We need a combination :smug: and :feelsgood: emoticon for this sort of thing.

Then he tried to get me to get a mortgage. Banks.

Prior to buying a house a few tellers were obviously surprised at the balance I carried. Especially as most days I just turned up wearing a scruffy tshirt to deposit large cheques. If the tellers get pushy about trying to sell products I just get angry and yell which seems to stop that bullshit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why are you people interacting with tellers? Is this 1950 all of a sudden?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

It's been a few years since I've talked to a teller, but sometimes I have to talk to call center folks if, for instance, I pay a credit card bill twice or something. You know?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FrozenVent posted:

I like going to the bank in person :shrug:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes it's nice to have an actual person hand you a big stack of cash money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Filed my taxes last night. On the one hand, hooray for getting back over 2k. On the other hand, I really wish the government would give me some interest on that :negative:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Filed my taxes last night. On the one hand, hooray for getting back over 2k. On the other hand, I really wish the government would give me some interest on that :negative:

Wow, I'm still waiting on forms from several places. Nice that you're done so soon.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

Wow, I'm still waiting on forms from several places. Nice that you're done so soon.

I have exactly 0 paperwork so far.... Using tax caster app shows about $3500 back though.

Folly
May 26, 2010
Ya, my company hasn't even mailed W-2s yet.

Of course, I can't complain because it's my server that refuses to print it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well there's at least one nice thing about a local government job

Two personal days brings it up to a theoretical 40 paid days off this year not including sick time :getin:

Now I just hope I'm less busy this year so I can actually use my vacation time, I ended up "losing" a few days last year :(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I actually have only one paper form so far (the W-2 which I got yesterday), but my donation stuff is all available online, and my end-of-year escrow statement was as well, and turbotax already knows about my state refund last year which counts as income on my federal. Hooray for technology :toot:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when you have no taxable income in a year it's best not to file instead of sending in a bunch of zeroes, right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

Not in the US but in November I had all of my accounts sorted out. There was a bunch of overpaid taxes so my accountant got my personal refund sent through and my company one is used to offset my upcoming tax payments. It's made my cash flow work out pretty good for my income and sales tax payments.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Aliquid posted:

when you have no taxable income in a year it's best not to file instead of sending in a bunch of zeroes, right?

I've heard that this is not the case, but take this to the tax thread, sheesh!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Bugamol posted:

Where in California? Is it a hatchback with a manual transmission? I live in Oregon and have been looking for something smaller than my current old man sedan daily driver.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I can't wait until I move this summer and Charter is no longer my only option for internet. :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spinst posted:

I can't wait until I move this summer and Charter is no longer my only option for internet. :(

Well I'm it makes you feel any better I get the privilege of paying $65/mo for Verizon DSL and I connect at 1.4Mbits down and 300Kbits up.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I was reading something about generating side-income and I thought "hmmmm I wonder what my local craigslist has in terms of part time jobs" and welp this is what I found

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

pig slut lisa posted:

I was reading something about generating side-income and I thought "hmmmm I wonder what my local craigslist has in terms of part time jobs" and welp this is what I found

So uh... how big are your balls?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Grumpwagon posted:

So uh... how big are your balls?

Well I had to click the link to get that screenshot, didn't I? :smug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think you'd need huge balls NOT to take a $100k/year craigslist job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

spinst posted:

God I miss my Charter internet. I had a problem with it once, and they fixed it in a week! TDS refused to say when they'd have it fixed (it took three months) and just offered a $5/mo discount until then (it technically worked, but latency was 1-3 seconds).