Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

So, it's no secret that a lot of games do DLC in bad ways. What are some games that handle DLC well?

For starters:
-Hyrule Warriors. The base game has a good amount of content and the DLC is well priced and adds even more. The season pass is a steal. None of this feels like it was cut from the main game in the slightest. They even gave out characters in free updates.

-Mario Kart 8. The new tracks are pretty great and there is still another DLC pack on the way. Nintendo has basically added 50% more content to this game for a very reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

League of Legends.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Diablo 2

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Came here to post mario kart I'm amazed at how much there is and how affordable it was.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I think the OP about covers it.

Burnout Paradise had lots of good support post release, a good deal of it free.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Mass Effect 3 did DLC really well for multiplayer. It was all free, but they also sold boxes of new weapons and characters from the update for real money, that you could also earn solely with in game money.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lemming posted:

Mass Effect 3 did DLC really well for multiplayer. It was all free, but they also sold boxes of new weapons and characters from the update for real money, that you could also earn solely with in game money.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Oblivion's Horse Armor.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bonzi was framed by reptilians

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Red Dead Redemption, since it was a stand alone game as well, like some of the Expansion Packs of the 90s.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Lemming posted:

Bonzi was framed by reptilians

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Fallout NV

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Battlefield Premium, gotta get dem dogtags!

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Psycobladder posted:

Battlefield Premium, gotta get dem dogtags!

Don't troll my threads.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Ok fine. Rock Band DLC, in fact there are new songs out this week.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

basically all nintendo games that have done DLC have done it amazingly

i wish there was some mario 3D world DLC though. i didnt want that game to ever end

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

XCOM did a good job I thought.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

I stll wanna play enemy within, that looked good. FTL also had a pretty good expansion.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Let's consider for a moment, all the pc exclusive games that have great dlc:

(lol wide nice funny there on expansions)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mario Golf is the other one you have forgotten

Smash Bros potentially could have good DLC who the gently caress knows

anyway it's all Nintendo straight down

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bobnumerotres posted:

basically all nintendo games that have done DLC have done it amazingly

i wish there was some mario 3D world DLC though. i didnt want that game to ever end

what about captain toad

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

what about captain toad

that is its own game on the same engine, not really DLC. i want more 3D world levels where i can play as mario/luigi/space princess

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored, and the aforementioned ME3 Multiplayer DLC were all good poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Souls II had good DLC.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Dark Souls II had good DLC.

yes. dark souls 1's DLC/PC content was also better than the entire rest of the game.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

but... what about toadette

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Toadette knows how to work a dick.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

yes. dark souls 1's DLC/PC content was also better than the entire rest of the game.

I've heard lots of good things about the Dark Souls 1 DLC but I haven't seen it.
Also isn't stupidly well hidden

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I've heard lots of good things about the Dark Souls 1 DLC but I haven't seen it.
Also isn't stupidly well hidden

well the dks2 DLC is less hidden than the dks1 DLC.

in dks2 the DLC is in areas that you need to visit and it's kind of loving hard to miss the giant portals and poo poo after the major boss rooms.

in dks1 you need to kill a hidden mini-boss behind an optional mini-boss and then return to that spot after obtaining an item at a totally different place in the game from a random enemy you could forget to check. it was dumb as hell but once you actually got in drat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

well the dks2 DLC is less hidden than the dks1 DLC.

in dks2 the DLC is in areas that you need to visit and it's kind of loving hard to miss the giant portals and poo poo after the major boss rooms.

in dks1 you need to kill a hidden mini-boss behind an optional mini-boss and then return to that spot after obtaining an item at a totally different place in the game from a random enemy you could forget to check. it was dumb as hell but once you actually got in drat

That was a typo. Meant to say "Wasn't it stupidly well hidden". I don't edit my posts though ebcause thats dishonorable.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Rock Band 2's is good because you just buy what you want.

Dead Space 3's is good because you can get everything ingame, including the DLC-exclusive stuff, using ration seals.

Skullgirls DLC is either cosmetic with the palettes and you can't even get dedede big band anymore, or it's free for people who have had the game before it came out.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Psycobladder posted:

Oblivion's Horse Armor.

Game. Changer.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

it's free for people who have had the game before it came out.

this is why Skullgirls' DLC rules, and all games should use this system.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Some of the Sleeping Dogs DLC like Zodiac tournament and nightmare in North Point

Ballad of Gay Tony was a good DLC pack

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Fallout 3/NV are the only games I've legit paid for the DLC that wasn't like a "goty super cheap all inclusive steam sale" like Saints Row 4 for example. I thought they were super worth it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

She looks about 6 years old brother.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

good dlc with plenty of content and effort sounds cool on paper but by the time it comes out i dont care anymore. like i fuckin loved dark souls 1+2 and played the poo poo out of them but have never bothered with the supposedly really good dlc because ive already played those games a ton and moved on. only time i ever end up buying this kinda stuff is if i want to go back and play a co-op game with someone in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Vargs posted:

good dlc with plenty of content and effort sounds cool on paper but by the time it comes out i dont care anymore. like i fuckin loved dark souls 1+2 and played the poo poo out of them but have never bothered with the supposedly really good dlc because ive already played those games a ton and moved on. only time i ever end up buying this kinda stuff is if i want to go back and play a co-op game with someone in particular

this is one of many reasons why day one dlc exists

• Locked thread