Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Artix posted:

The Elibe games have Fa (although she's only playable in FE6, she's in both games). Incidentally, she's also loving adorable and actually acts like a child.

:colbert:
She's adorable most of the time.:colbert:

Nah, that's adorable too.:3:

E: Gamewise, I like the idea of making skills less dependent on EXP. I always end up being way overleveled because all the really useful skills require you to be Level 15 promoted, so you'll end up capping everything by the time you get to the second level 15 skill. The only exceptions are skills like Armsthrift, Veteran, Vantage and maybe Astra, Sol, and Luna (and Aether, but that's Chrom-exclusive.)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

fade5 posted:

Nah, that's adorable too.:3:
Uh, please don't refer to Nah as a "that", thanks

Anyway

Battle damage! That is magically restored when they're healed, probably.

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Supports and pairing people off has been in the series since FE6, only skipping 11 and 12 because those were remakes of older games. They're not going anywhere.

FE4 has a time skip and does in fact kill nearly everyone from the first generation halfway through the game so it's not like there's no precedent.

Oh I'm sure supports will stay, I'm just wondering how they'll work in the inevitable kid characters. It's just, since the series has shifted from plots with excuse characters to 15 flavours of (adorable) anime archetypes with an excuse plot, I'd be surprised if they iced half their cast this time round.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Pairing up certain characters in FE4 also let you pass down their holy blood (huge boosts to growths and also allows wielding of legendary weapons from that blood) as well as most weapons and items that aren't legendary weapons, which are obtained through plot most of the time. Two minor bloods would also make a major blood, which unfortunately makes incest a helpful game mechanic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure you could only have certain characters use holy weapons no matter what, since it was the plot that gave it to them. You could glitch one of them into someone else's possession, but I wouldn't really count that.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The only weapons you get to pick an user for are Forsety, the bow and Valkyrie. All of the others are locked.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

The only weapons you get to pick an user for are Forsety, the bow and Valkyrie. All of the others are locked.

Ichival is always favals

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heck you only get around half the holy weapons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And let's be real here, to most people Valkyrie might as well not exist. It might save you a reset once, that's about it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Ichival is always favals

True, but you can pick his dad, which you can't for Selis, Althena, Ares and Shannan.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Iceclaw posted:

And, really, if you don't give Forsety to Sety you are doing something horribly wrong or want to give yourself a challenge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

How Rude posted:

And, really, if you don't give Forsety to Sety you are doing something horribly wrong or want to give yourself a challenge.

But it's way better to pair Levin with Tiltyu and Fury with Claude????

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, putting Forsety on Arthur gives you an early shitwrecker on a horse, which is better than a later shitwrecker without a horse.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

How Rude posted:

What's funny is that this statement is completely true for both FE4 and Thracia 776.

:stare::hf::getin:
For those not familiar with Thracia 776, every stat caps at 20 in that game. Sety Ced's Holesty Forseti tome adds +20 Skill and +20 Speed; it also has 20 might, 90% accuracy and a 30% crit rate. When you recruit him the tome has 50 uses (rather than infinite) but why the gently caress wouldn't you use one two Hammerne charges on the most broken tome ever?

That reminds me, I'd love it if capturing made a return, it really made Thracia 776 unique. Hell, Awakening didn't even have item stealing, and reclassing means that you can have your Wyvern Lord/General/Hero on Chest and Door duty as long as they they spent 10 levels as a Thief for Locktouch (and Movement+1).

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Capturing was a great mechanic. I honestly didn't mind fatigue very much either because low leveled units mean nothing when caps are locked at 20 for everything and all you had to do to mitigate the effects of fatigue were to run two different teams. It just stopped you from running over the game with 5 OP units which is perfectly okay in my opinion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fatigue was cool, I can't think of any other game on the series where I have like 20 viable units

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

fade5 posted:

When you recruit him the tome has 50 uses (rather than infinite) but why the gently caress wouldn't you use one two Hammerne charges on the most broken tome ever?

Because every staff in the game is even more broken that that, and has way fewer uses?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Fatigue was cool, I can't think of any other game on the series where I have like 20 viable units

Awakening. Fatigue is interesting though. I wouldn't mind it coming back. It's fine in XCOM, too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Because every staff in the game is even more broken that that, and has way fewer uses?

I don't think I've ever broken holsety, its really not around very long

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Awakening. Fatigue is interesting though. I wouldn't mind it coming back. It's fine in XCOM, too.

I could see people hating being forced to rotate. Sometimes people just want to pick a team and stick with it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I could see fatique being a problem when you don't know what's coming up. Oops, used up my paladin in the last map and now I need to get over there really fast!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If fatigue is explained to you early on that would be completely down to player error. You get more than one horse unit in any Fire Emblem game, and if it's anything like FE5 there would be consumables to remove fatigue in the event that you use a team of all cavaliers and pegasus knights or something.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I could see people hating being forced to rotate. Sometimes people just want to pick a team and stick with it.

Look at the reclassing argument that just happened, this is true for every facet of the game.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I could see fatique being a problem when you don't know what's coming up. Oops, used up my paladin in the last map and now I need to get over there really fast!

Thats why theres stamina drinks :pseudo:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thracia's issue secretly wasn't fatique, it was the incredibly dickish moves that punished players for not looking it up in a guide like escaping the castle with Leaf first and not having enough keys to finish the game.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

And PCC. And having to rely that much on stealing to get things. And hidden Warp Tiles leading to a doorless room. And...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Let's just say that Thracia is unfair and a hard game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It would be cool if they gave you a page full of fiddly little optional difficulty tweaks like fatigue, enemy phase reinforcements, weapon triangle magnitude, fixed/zero growths, reverse mode, and even just letting you rip into the guts of the formulas like the effective damage bonus and crit rate.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cake Attack posted:

I don't think I've ever broken holsety, its really not around very long
Fair point. When you can one hit kill everything, 50 uses goes a long way.:v:

Bongo Bill posted:

It would be cool if they gave you a page full of fiddly little optional difficulty tweaks like fatigue, enemy phase reinforcements, weapon triangle magnitude, fixed/zero growths, reverse mode, and even just letting you rip into the guts of the formulas like the effective damage bonus and crit rate.
This would be totally awesome; you could customize the difficulty exactly to your liking.

So of course Nintendo will never do it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They wouldn't do it because it would be a total nightmare to balance all of that. A lot of people would probably never use it either.

It would be kinda cool to tweak things.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I figured out why that giant reminded me of Dark Souls.

Giantdad what are you doing in this game?

The giant's face is actually the Mouth of Truth, a real-life ancient Roman sculpture.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was expecting Future Past to be a kid only campaign where you took the second gen kids through a series of levels until reaching the point where they wet back in time.

What I'm saying is that Future Past was disappointing.

I actually liked the ending of Future Past better than the actual ending.

quote:

And PCC. And having to rely that much on stealing to get things. And hidden Warp Tiles leading to a doorless room. And...

I actually got a incredibly build-blessed Lifis once and it was hilarious. He could steal pretty much anything. In the same game I also had an incredibly move-blessed Karin who could traverse half the map in one turn.

Thracia had its quirks but on the whole I like the ideas it introduced, even if they could have been implemented better.

Bishop Rodan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 15, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Doc V posted:

The giant's face is actually the Mouth of Truth, a real-life ancient Roman sculpture.

I thought it looked like something historical from that area. (Ok, I might have thought it was greek instead)

I feel like I'm the only person here that liked pair up. It opened up a lot of options, but was so overpowered that not pairing up was never really worth considering outside of the map where the ai just beelines tiki unless you box them out. I actually used and enjoyed using knights because it let me get them to the front line where they belonged thanks to pair up. You could use the bonuses to patch a hole in the weak spot, or min max a character to all hell. Archers were slightly less terrible because the guy in the back didn't have range restrictions on their attacks.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Doc V posted:

I wonder if it's the Roman-based civilization's superweapon or something.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I wonder if it's the Roman-based civilization's superweapon or something.
Alternately, it's the awakened evil diety (or one of its minions) we have to fight in the game.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Hey, did you ever thought, "I wish the Main Characters from Fire Emblem fought with steampunk Abraham Lincoln!" WELL NOW IT'S HAPPENING. (WIth Amibos/New 3DS, but stll.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

They wouldn't do it because it would be a total nightmare to balance all of that. A lot of people would probably never use it either.

It would be kinda cool to tweak things.

It'd be a pretty rad new game + bonus!

Man, now I'm sad that this will never happen. :smith:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The man called M posted:

Hey, did you ever thought, "I wish the Main Characters from Fire Emblem fought with steampunk Abraham Lincoln!" WELL NOW IT'S HAPPENING. (WIth Amibos/New 3DS, but stll.)

I can't wait to fight aliens with heroes of American history and folklore, such as Tom Sawyer, Abe Lincoln, and Ike from Fire Emblem.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The man called M posted:

So does this technically make Code Name STEAM the first time Marth's had an English voice actor?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

mabels big day posted:

I can't wait to fight aliens with heroes of American history and folklore, such as Tom Sawyer, Abe Lincoln, and Ike from Fire Emblem.
Ike killed Robert E. Lee with his bare hands after Lee's army attacked Ike because they didn't expect a counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

So does this technically make Code Name STEAM the first time Marth's had an English voice actor?

Not if you count the grunts and "HA!" from SSB.

I mean c'mon, ha is international.