Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

So does this technically make Code Name STEAM the first time Marth's had an English voice actor?
The anime of FE1 got a dub. He was voiced by Spike Spencer.

Coincidentally, Spike Spencer also voiced Excellus in FE13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not if you count the grunts and "HA!" from SSB.

I mean c'mon, ha is international.

Those were from his Japanese VA.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It was a joke. Apparently it was also a bad one.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Uh guys clearly that bit was in Hylian, c'mon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Heals being able to miss in a game is hosed Up

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Heals being able to miss in a game is hosed Up

that sounds really cool actually

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

I took the liberty of screencapping all of the shown characters and also a large amount of white space

notes: samurai dude seemed like a villain, with the way that cg cutscene was shown?
black armor paladin dude seems like he's either the jeigan or the main character of the game, or both if they really like sigurd and want to replicate that (since he was shown fighting samurai dude)

other notes: the character designer from FE13 is returning

the story is by a mangaka who seems to mostly do mystery/horror. he's done a cyberpunk thriller, an adaptation of fatal frame, and a gag manga where sherlock holmes is a dog, as a few examples.

aw, I liked Fire Emblem awakening enough I was hoping to see Priam get a game.

PS: Nintendo let us use summoners again I dont care if they were bad axe phantoms are cooler than any anime. :colbert:

also the mario face in the corner made me laugh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anatharon posted:

PS: Nintendo let us use summoners again I dont care if they were bad axe phantoms are cooler than any anime. :colbert:

Agreed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

:hf:

I 100%'d FE:A so I'm accutely aware of it's flaws. I just wonder if IntSys is. :v:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Awakening's only real flaw was not making Gregor the main Lord.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Main lord of the trash can, imo.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I never had a Gregor who wasn't mediocre.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He's a fantastic dad but not an amazing unit in his own right. All of the parents but the avatar and Donny (in the main game anyway, Donny's nothing special at max stats) are completely shown up by the kids either way so it's not like it matters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I never had a Gregor who wasn't mediocre.

same, but that could be said of many lords and I still used him every run anyway.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i never had a gregor who wasn't at max stats, or any other unit for that matter. i greatly enjoyed grinding out supports in that game

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

See, the thing about Fire Emblem is that unless your favorite character is Fiona, you can use basically whoever you like and it'll still work out. Nowadays, at least. So Gregor's mediocrity as a unit is irrelevant to his status as best character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can use the statue trick to grind fiona to relevancy pretty easily actually

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

you can use the statue trick to grind fiona to relevancy pretty easily actually

And you can boss abuse Wendy or Marty (with scrolls) into relevancy too, that doesn't mean they are worth a drat playing normally.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The point is that you can use them if you like them, not that it's worth it mechanically.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

The point is that you can use them if you like them, not that it's worth it mechanically.

Fiona was Earth element and her growths were pretty good. It was mostly her base stats that held her back.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eddain posted:

Fiona was Earth element and her growths were pretty good. It was mostly her base stats that held her back.

That, and the fact that the first time you can use her, it's in a map with a lot of ledges (she's also really far behind). She's not bad if you raise her, yeah, but getting her past the 'I do two points of damage' phase is annoying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Which is why she's bad mechanically, you already have enough units that don't require that level of babying to be good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Radiant Dawn also takes a long time before you're actually allowed to choose a party. What effort you put into Fiona is then put on hold for like a dozen missions before you get her back for a few, then it switches back and forth until basically the end when you can fully choose your party.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbf babying units is fun

that said fiona maybe takes it a little too far

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I hope they bring back Light Magic. Smiting dudes with golden waves of holy light was badass. Also instead of just sword and magic users like MU or Dark Knight, they should go whole hog and have other weapon/mag users. I don't care if their caps suck I was an infantry guy who wields lances and dark magic because why the gently caress not.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

uh awakening also had a lance/magic class and a sword/axe/magic class

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cake Attack posted:

tbf babying units is fun

You have a very strange idea of fun.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really?

the latergame tends to be pretty easier in most FE games, trying to sneak in some kills on a weaker unit without them dying is a fun extra challenge that normally rewards you with big numbers which are cool as heck

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Training Est characters is a fun added challenge, usually you can get them up to snuff in a single map. I like using those characters. The problem, and probably the reason why a lot of people don't bother, is that you're basically funneling most of the experience on a map into one character to make them as good as any of your other units when you could just spread it around and make your whole army slightly better. It's a lot of effort for not much reward, mechanically. I'm sure some people also find it boring, too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Using the Est characters in the GBA games was a good way to boost your Experience Rank. :eng101:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
i always use Nino

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I always have Nino murder Sonia.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Anatharon posted:

I 100%'d FE:A so I'm accutely aware of it's flaws. I just wonder if IntSys is. :v:
IntSys really needs to learn that having a stationary flying boss (without a Delphi/Fili Shield) is a bad, bad idea.

In FE6, they literally put Sigune in kill range of a Ballista, one-shotting her is the easiest thing ever. It was the same thing with Aversa; all that buildup and Cordelia just one-shotted her with a Silver Bow.

Iceclaw posted:

I always have Nino murder Sonia.
I usually can't get Nino trained up enough (that's what Cog of Destiny is for), so I have Canas do it instead. It's still a family kill given that Canas is Nino's uncle, and Luna overkill is always great.

:getin:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Luna is all fun and game, and then you face Magic 17~18 Druids with it, when your units struggle to reach 35hp. :stonk:

gently caress HHM Genesis.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Awakening was weird because it did lots of things insanely well but hosed up the single most important part of Fire Emblem. I really hope this new game will actually be interesting to play but I think I might be wrong...

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I knew FE:A was a mega success but I was still a little worried it was going to be the final FE game. Glad I was wrong!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Why can't Intsys just go the Radiant Dawn route of archers and buff the poo poo out of their weapons and make their basestats/growths ridiculous to compensate for their lack of counterattack

why do we have archers in some of the gba games that struggle to double and do double digit damage on anything but a loving mage or myrmidon, it can't be that hard

edit2: or maybe give them 1-2 weapon range bows that are weaker might and hit overall, sort of as a reverse to how ranged melee weapons work for physical units

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I knew FE:A was a mega success but I was still a little worried it was going to be the final FE game. Glad I was wrong!

IntSys thought it would be the last Fire Emblem which is why they tried very hard to make it good so that they could at least go out on a high note.

:rip: Advance Wars

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
FE6 HM Archers are pretty tough; I find myself having to swarm them with multiple units to kill them, especially if I can't double (read: if the unit isn't Rutger or a pegasus). What I'm saying is why can't we get more archers with high defense and HP and speed at least so they're harder to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

IntSys thought it would be the last Fire Emblem which is why they tried very hard to make it good so that they could at least go out on a high note.

:rip: Advance Wars

Days of Ruin was the best Advanced Wars game too. :shrug:

Austrian mook posted:

Awakening was weird because it did lots of things insanely well but hosed up the single most important part of Fire Emblem. I really hope this new game will actually be interesting to play but I think I might be wrong...

:agreed:

What do you think is the most important part? I mean it really did a bunch of things bad, like map design, and being way easy and stuff.