Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are there any fun non-fiction books on the history of man's experimentation, experiences, and results with mind-altering substances ?

Maybe something with broad range of subjects, like how the double helix structure was discovered on the effects of LSD, or how many biblical prophets were probably on psychedelic shrooms to have visions, religious rituals with peyote, etc.

The only book I know that is similar is Out of Our Heads: Rock and Roll Before the Drugs Wore Off, which documents the use and drug habits of famous musicians from the 60's through the 80's and the cultural changes that occured during that time with anecdotes and interviews.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any recommendations for great novels or nonfiction about food? Preferably something that would enrich the experience of eating and preparing food; not looking for a cynical treatise on the food industry or The Jungle, heh

I've enjoyed Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking, but it's pretty sciency in its approach.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If you want a part cookbook and part fun memoir of a likable fuckup try L.A. Son: My Life, My City, My Food by Roy Choi.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

derkaiser posted:

I've enjoyed Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking, but it's pretty sciency in its approach.

Might be good to know that there is the original 1984 edition and the revised 2004 edition, which contains a lot of changes.

What was added:
The 2004 edition is much longer, since it explains more ingredients and expands its explanations of the previously included ingredients. It also goes more in depth about preparation methods. Almost everything else was rewritten also to reflect the author's new insights.

What got cut out:
The chapters about human physiology, nutrition and additives are gone in the 2004 edition.

I got all this info from the 2004 version's introduction - hope it's useful in picking the right edition.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay might be my favorite book ever, and I loved The Yiddish Policeman's Union as well; where do I go next with Chabon?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm looking for new books/writers (new as in I don't know them yet) similar in style to the following: Rayuela by Cortazar, Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, the Illuminati trilogy by Wilson & Shea, Naked Lunch by Burroughs.
Basically something that fries my brain, and spits it out again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just finished and enjoyed this book: http://www.amazon.com/Cockpit-Confi...20631959&sr=1-2

I'm looking for some other similar things about airlines and air travel, any suggestions? Light stuff about how it all works, not technical books. Cursory searching turns up lots of technical stuff, a bunch of "how not to be afraid to fly" stuff, and angry flight attendant memoirs. Those may be okay if they're funny but not interested in the other two.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 7, 2015

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fartmaster posted:

I read like 8 pages of Atlas Shrugged years ago, but I hear she was more renowned for her philosophy than her writing.

And her philosophy was and remains toxic. I think the most important thing I learned from Atlas Shrugged was that I should not feel obligated to finish a book just because I've started it. (I was about 19 at the time I read it and while I did finish it I later told myself I shouldn't have.)

You've got Dumas, Twain and Hammett lying there, if you want something that's actually enjoyable.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Groke posted:

And her philosophy was and remains toxic. I think the most important thing I learned from Atlas Shrugged was that I should not feel obligated to finish a book just because I've started it. (I was about 19 at the time I read it and while I did finish it I later told myself I shouldn't have.)

You've got Dumas, Twain and Hammett lying there, if you want something that's actually enjoyable.

I read The Fountainhead which I kind of like, but I was young and it was the first time I was exposed to her philosophy. Later on I tried to read Atlas Shrugged (just to say I've read it I guess), but I stopped about halfway. Of course by that time I knew about her philosophy.

Several of the high ups at my work (who lean to the right big time) got into Ayn Rand around the time that Atlas Shrugged movie came out. During a discussion they was having about the Ayn Rand (they was talking about her like she was their new idol) I couldn't resist to let them know I've read some Rand (which of course some of them never even heard of her until recently, and none of them had read anything by her). I had to let these very religious people know that Rand was an atheist who had an open affair with a younger man (which drove her husband to drink) , and then tried to ruin in his life once she found out he was sleeping with someone else. Also I pointed out how confusing it was to me that for a group who's motto is 'WWJD ' that Rand's philosophy seemed to be the opposite of that. I wanted to say more, but I did use some tact.

My point I guess is the only advantage to reading anything by Rand is it gives you a ticket to talk about her in certain situations. This makes me want to read (finish this time) Atlas Shrugged now. Crap.

Edit: Just saw that Nathaniel Branden (her famous affair) died last month.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 7, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want to read a Rand so you can poo poo on her with authority I'd say Anathem is the one to do, it's the shortest and has all the same bullshit as the other books.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

I'm looking for new books/writers (new as in I don't know them yet) similar in style to the following: Rayuela by Cortazar, Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, the Illuminati trilogy by Wilson & Shea, Naked Lunch by Burroughs.

Have you tried Flann O'Brien? At Swim-Two-Birds or The Third Policeman might do you.

Another possibility: Italo Calvino.

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to read a Rand so you can poo poo on her with authority I'd say Anathem is the one to do, it's the shortest and has all the same bullshit as the other books.

Anthem, surely? Anathem is a Neal Stephenson book.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Selachian posted:

Have you tried Flann O'Brien? At Swim-Two-Birds or The Third Policeman might do you.

Another possibility: Italo Calvino.

Yeah, I know Flann O'Brien, it's possible I read something of his about a bicycle accident (that's probably At-Swim-Two-Birds)? I've read "Baron in the trees" by Calvino, liked it. There's also "Eden Eden Eden" by Pierre Guyotat, which is pretty stream-of-consciousness and the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

There's some american author I keep forgetting about, he wrote something called Satanburger as well as a fake D&D supplement... Mallick Jr.? It sounded whacky, never had a chance to read it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Selachian posted:

Anthem, surely? Anathem is a Neal Stephenson book.

Yeah. I read it a long time ago and have never revisited it to remember spellings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, I know Flann O'Brien, it's possible I read something of his about a bicycle accident (that's probably At-Swim-Two-Birds)? I've read "Baron in the trees" by Calvino, liked it. There's also "Eden Eden Eden" by Pierre Guyotat, which is pretty stream-of-consciousness and the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

There's some american author I keep forgetting about, he wrote something called Satanburger as well as a fake D&D supplement... Mallick Jr.? It sounded whacky, never had a chance to read it.

The bicycle accident is probably The Third Policeman -- one of the running gags of that book is the policemen are obsessed with bicycles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

If you haven't read Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Fariña, do so immediately.

Pynchon and Fariña were best friends, and it's one of the funniest books I've read, the prose is hallucinatory and beautiful, and I put the book in my top 3 favorites.

Edit: Gravity's Rainbow is dedicated to Fariña.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Franchescanado posted:

If you haven't read Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Fariña, do so immediately.

Pynchon and Fariña were best friends, and it's one of the funniest books I've read, the prose is hallucinatory and beautiful, and I put the book in my top 3 favorites.

Edit: Gravity's Rainbow is dedicated to Fariña.

Oha I thought that line is from Jim Morrisson. Will order.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

midnightclimax posted:

Carlton Mellick III. I've read a few of his books. I'm not sure I'd recommend him on the basis of looking for something similar to Pynchon, but going from Burroughs...hmmm...maybe.

You might also want to try some Richard Brautigan, particularly Trout Fishing in America and/or In Watermelon Sugar. My favorite book of his is So the Wind Won't Blow It All Away, but it's not something that's likely to "fry your brain."

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yeah I've read Brautigan, a collection of short stories, can't remember the title. But it's good stuff.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cithen posted:

Are there any contemporary authors writing some good satire? Or anything that falls somewhere between Vonnegut and the film 'Network' would likely hit the spot.

Max Barry? Australian guy who writes mostly dystopian satire about the amorality of the corporation.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah I've read Brautigan, a collection of short stories, can't remember the title. But it's good stuff.

My guess would be Revenge of the Lawn. Or possibly the aforementioned Trout Fishing in America, which is categorized as a novel (or novella) but could easily give one the feeling that it's a collection of short stories. Anyway, yes, good stuff. He had a "voice" that's not quite like anyone else I've ever read.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Secret Agent X23 posted:

My guess would be Revenge of the Lawn. Or possibly the aforementioned Trout Fishing in America, which is categorized as a novel (or novella) but could easily give one the feeling that it's a collection of short stories. Anyway, yes, good stuff. He had a "voice" that's not quite like anyone else I've ever read.

Ah, no, it was "Forty Stories" by Donald Barthelme. Ok then Brautigan added to the list. e: Anyone old enough to remember this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozc_wkc28nc

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 9, 2015

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I'm looking for beautifully descriptive books about the nature, ecology, or scenery of the American Southwest. I've read all of Ellen Meloy's books as well as Desert Solitaire, and I want more books in that vein. New Mexico and the redrock region of the Colorado Plateau are preferred, but failing that, I'll take any really well-written books on the ecology of anywhere in the American West. Thanks.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
this might be up your alley.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Criminal Minded posted:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay might be my favorite book ever, and I loved The Yiddish Policeman's Union as well; where do I go next with Chabon?

Chabon's pretty consistent, tho Kav and Clay is by far his best. Wonder Boys is my second favorite of his, and Telegraph Avenue (his latest) ain't bad. His essays and short stories are also worth a shot.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

I'm looking for beautifully descriptive books about the nature, ecology, or scenery of the American Southwest. I've read all of Ellen Meloy's books as well as Desert Solitaire, and I want more books in that vein. New Mexico and the redrock region of the Colorado Plateau are preferred, but failing that, I'll take any really well-written books on the ecology of anywhere in the American West. Thanks.

Just about anything Abbey's written fits the bill, including some of his fiction. Also, it's a novel but Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather has lots of beautiful and detailed descriptions of the area around Santa Fe. It's a wonderful book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/545951.Death_Comes_for_the_Archbishop

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011
I'm hoping to get an anthology of some the most famous English language poems as a sort of introduction to poetry. Any recommendations for a paperback I can flip through?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ihopeirememberthis posted:

I'm hoping to get an anthology of some the most famous English language poems as a sort of introduction to poetry. Any recommendations for a paperback I can flip through?

The Voice That Is Great Within Us is my go-to recommendation outside of a Norton Anthology

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

The Voice That Is Great Within Us is my go-to recommendation outside of a Norton Anthology

Ah but I'm from the UK and I'm more interested in poetry from this area.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

What are the front runners for best transport textbook for chemical engineers? I'm taking the second transport class, having done momentum/heat transfer and now we're doing mass transfer and separations, but our book is pretty light and easy. Last semester it wasn't a problem since the professor was great and his homework problems were pretty challenging, yet this one seems to almost entirely rely on book problems. I've heard Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot is good, but wanted to make sure.

e: Forgot to mention, our book is Geankoplis.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who are the big names in adult supernatural thrillers these days?

Way back when I used to read corny stuff like King and Koontz, and while they were great for a fifteen year old they are astoundingly cheesy trying to go back and reread them (with a few exceptions). I'm trying to search out more recent and frightening authors but apparently any book dealing with supernatural anything is the realm of YA trash.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Karl Sharks posted:

What are the front runners for best transport textbook for chemical engineers? I'm taking the second transport class, having done momentum/heat transfer and now we're doing mass transfer and separations, but our book is pretty light and easy. Last semester it wasn't a problem since the professor was great and his homework problems were pretty challenging, yet this one seems to almost entirely rely on book problems. I've heard Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot is good, but wanted to make sure.

e: Forgot to mention, our book is Geankoplis.
You should probably try the SAL thread, this one is mostly for fiction.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

pumpinglemma posted:

You should probably try the SAL thread, this one is mostly for fiction.

Ah, I forgot about that one, my bad.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Way back when I used to read corny stuff like King and Koontz, and while they were great for a fifteen year old they are astoundingly cheesy trying to go back and reread them (with a few exceptions). I'm trying to search out more recent and frightening authors but apparently any book dealing with supernatural anything is the realm of YA trash.

The problem you're going to run in to is that it's going to be hard for a book to frighten you, especially in any category that could be reasonably called a supernatural thriller. Koontz and King are essentially still the top dogs for that kind of story. You may get some mileage from Justin Cronin or Nick Cutter, though I'd argue they're better classified as horror (and they are pretty polarizing).

If you're after horror, check out the cosmic horror thread; there are some great recommendations in there and they don't all focus on the cosmic aspect.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Danger Mahoney posted:

There's Adam Nevill, my favorite of his is Last Days. Chris Buelman is a good horror writer. I don't know of any younger authors who are considered top of the genre guys with a large bibliography like King, Barker or Koontz. I wish there was, it would make finding this stuff a lot easier. There's some who have written one or two good horror novels, like the already mentioned Cutter and Cronin, there's the Ruins by Scott Smith. I'm sure there's others I don't know of, wouldn't mind finding em out myself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Danger Mahoney posted:

You may like the recent book The Boy Who Drew Monsters. It wasn't horrifying, but it's a fun quick "literary horror" novel that I enjoyed.

I really liked The Troop by Nick Cutter, but it is not for the squemish.

You might be best off buying a Best of Horror anthology for a recent year. There's some good stuff out there, like The New Dead.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Could I get some recommendations for great travel writing? It's an area I have very little experience in, and I want to correct that. I'm really looking for authors with a strong voice and sense of style; a lot of my favorite travel writing feels almost like reading fiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Could I get some recommendations for great travel writing? It's an area I have very little experience in, and I want to correct that. I'm really looking for authors with a strong voice and sense of style; a lot of my favorite travel writing feels almost like reading fiction.

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
Travels of Marco Polo
Iron and Silk by Mark Salzman

(sortof) West with the Night by Beryl Markham.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

You can't do better than Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands. The writing is majestic. He also had another one about traveling with Arabs that I can't remember but was also very good. Also, Jan Morris has a bunch of good travel books, Venice I think is the best known.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure whether it counts but as a complete couch potato I was always very fond of Richard Halliburton. The "almost fiction" bit definitely fits.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I read quite a lot of travel writing and you really cannot go wrong with almost anything by Patrick Leigh Fermor, William Dalrymple, Robert Macfarlane and Laurie Lee.