Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gSJa3L_7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsT7P6ZtGw

What happened to this tool? I cant find a place to get these anywhere. I don't need one, but I am just surprised they seem to have disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

I had an "aha" moment at work the other day when asked about blades for a worm drive circular saw. Most worm drive circular saws will have a diamond arbor instead of a round 5/8 arbor in a standard saw. Most manufacturers(at least the DeWalt blades I stock at work) have a 5/8 arbor, but with a diamond punched there, so that you can knock out the metal if you need to use it on a worm drive saw. That might be common knowledge for some, but it was one of those "how have I never known that?" moments for me.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I've got this old toolcase that I'm looking at taking all my tools out of and putting into one of my new cases. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wrenches - it's a set of 14, half SAE, half metric. I wanted to get a little wrench roll or something, but all the ones I'm finding are way too big or meant more for other hand tools. I'm thinking I might just go buy some canvas/cordura zipper bags and say gently caress it. I can always use them somewhere else if I get more wrenches later/get another set... unless somebody has a suggestion of a better idea here?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I've got this old toolcase that I'm looking at taking all my tools out of and putting into one of my new cases. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the wrenches - it's a set of 14, half SAE, half metric. I wanted to get a little wrench roll or something, but all the ones I'm finding are way too big or meant more for other hand tools. I'm thinking I might just go buy some canvas/cordura zipper bags and say gently caress it. I can always use them somewhere else if I get more wrenches later/get another set... unless somebody has a suggestion of a better idea here?

When I have too many things for a peanut butter jar and not enough for a tool box, I get out the needle and thread and an old pair of jeans and DIY one of these: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/20-Pocket-Heavy-Denim-Roll-With-Pouch/productinfo/130-1120/

Skip all that zipper stuff and just tie it up after rolling it. Might hold you over until you have more tools or better storage.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

When I have too many things for a peanut butter jar and not enough for a tool box, I get out the needle and thread and an old pair of jeans and DIY one of these: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/20-Pocket-Heavy-Denim-Roll-With-Pouch/productinfo/130-1120/

Skip all that zipper stuff and just tie it up after rolling it. Might hold you over until you have more tools or better storage.

Pics please? That sounds like an easy and cool project but I kinda suck at sewing by hand.

In related news, the HF air tool starter kit I bought is everything you would expect from Harbor Freight, the inflator has to be finessed at all odd angles until you find the sweet spot that puts air into the tire, and the top of the tire gauge snapped off by the time I got to the second wheel. :downsgun: I pressed the head back on and I think it worked just fine but still. . .

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Crotch Fruit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gSJa3L_7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsT7P6ZtGw

What happened to this tool? I cant find a place to get these anywhere. I don't need one, but I am just surprised they seem to have disappeared.

Impact drivers? Nothing's happened to them to the best of my knowledge... http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool-DC825B-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002RT7K4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421538006&sr=8-1&keywords=impact+driver for instance.

Might help to search impact driver rather than impact wrench.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Impact drivers? Nothing's happened to them to the best of my knowledge... http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-Tool-DC825B-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002RT7K4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421538006&sr=8-1&keywords=impact+driver for instance.

Might help to search impact driver rather than impact wrench.

Yes I have an impact driver coming in the mail, but what about the impact adapter to turn a regular drill into an impact wrench? I have no need for one, but the idea still seems interesting.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh, right.

No, I've never actually seen one of them in the wild.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Looks like you can get them on alibaba, minimum quantity 1000.

http://hk100012389.fm.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-101339023/Power_Tool_Accessories.html

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need a cordless drill. The more compact, the better. I'll be needing it for when we move in the summer time, like for quick furniture disassembles. I was leaning towards the Milwaukee M12 Fuel, but I'm open to other suggestions.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 18, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

I need a cordless drill. The more compact, the better.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Drills-Right-Angle-Drills/N-5yc1vZc7ji

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

melon cat posted:

I need a cordless drill. The more compact, the better. I'll be needing it for when we move in the summer time, like for quick furniture disassembles. I was leaning towards the Milwaukee M12 Fuel, but I'm open to other suggestions.
You may want to have a look at a Bosch PS41-2A (aka the GDR 10.8Li) as that is only 14cm long, not 14 inch and weighs 1 kilo instead of 4 going on 5. The main downside is it doesn't really drill, it does however drive better than any drill-driver I've used.
Amazon does list it with a drill in a combo kit which might be worth a look at given the price of that M12 Fuel you posted.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
This is a really interesting concept, but I'm brand new to the idea of a right angle drills. Any potential drawbacks given its design? I've just never held one (or even used one ever).

Deedle posted:

You may want to have a look at a Bosch PS41-2A (aka the GDR 10.8Li) as that is only 14cm long, not 14 inch and weighs 1 kilo instead of 4 going on 5. The main downside is it doesn't really drill, it does however drive better than any drill-driver I've used.
Amazon does list it with a drill in a combo kit which might be worth a look at given the price of that M12 Fuel you posted.
That PS41-2A is so deceptively cute. :3:

It seems to be well-reviewed, so there's that. About that combo kit- I do have a Milwaukee Magnum. Would having both the Milwaukee Magnum as well as the combo kit's drill driver be redundant?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Was working on a friend's basement, another friend brought that bosch. It was a trooper, I definitely recommend it for general screwing around.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Bosch is nice enough, but I'd way rather buy into Milwaukee's 12v line. Bosch's selection isn't anywhere near as extensive. I suppose that doesn't matter so much if you don't plan on getting other tools though.

Having a cordless set in addition to a big corded drill doesn't seem too redundant. It's super handy to have a cordless drill for smaller stuff.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Yeah, I don't do much myself aside from basic auto repair and average homeowner repair/improvements, but even I've found usefulness in having both a corded 1/2" drill and a 12V compact drill/driver too.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The Bosch kit is a brushed drill, which is not particularly bad but overall everything is not as good a brushless drill. The M12 Fuel line is brushless, the motors are more efficient meaning more power and longer running time. You can get a Milwaukee M12 non-fuel kit for about $210 CDN. I don't know the prices of Bosch or Milwaukee brushless combo kits, but you can expect to pay significantly more. I don't have any experience with Bosch tools, but from my research (highly scientific youtube videos :v: ) I just felt that Milwaukee's features suited my needs better. A cordless drill/driver will not replace your corded hammer drill. If you think it will replace your Magnum, just lug the Magnum up to the top of a ladder a couple times after untangling the extension cord.

Because of the price/power difference, I ultimately decided to go with a brushless impact driver and a brushed drill/driver. I don't want to pound into masonry very often so I doubt I will be missing out on not having a hammer drill.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 19, 2015

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Deedle posted:

im a fan of the bosch 12v tools, they're 100% totally fine for homeowner stuff and are as noted totally adorable lil cuties

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

melon cat posted:

This is a really interesting concept, but I'm brand new to the idea of a right angle drills. Any potential drawbacks given its design? I've just never held one (or even used one ever).

Their triggers are farther away from the chuck (to protect your fingers given how much closer the chuck is to the grip than on a standard drill), so that means that it's harder to maintain pressure on driving the bit forward as well as keeping it on center. That's why the heavier drills listed on that page come with handles near the head. Those ones are typically used by electricians and plumbers for drilling holes sideways in studs and joists during construction.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Deedle posted:

You may want to have a look at a Bosch PS41-2A (aka the GDR 10.8Li) as that is only 14cm long, not 14 inch and weighs 1 kilo instead of 4 going on 5. The main downside is it doesn't really drill, it does however drive better than y drill-driver I've used.

That's the set I've been eyeing, you can even get a little tool belt holster for it which would be so handy. My current drill is a Bosch and it's been flawless.

I also need a good corded drill for drilling thru studs/mixing joint compound/etc. I've been looking at this Hitachi and this Dewalt. Anyone got opinions on corded drills?

Trip report: I mentioned picking up the Dewalt router set and it's been great. The D handle is especially nice, I was up on the roof flush trimming some sheathing and it worked flawlessly. The only thing I don't like is the single wrench system (you press a button to stop the spindle from turning); I'm used to Porter Cable with two wrenches which I found easier to get really tight using the scissor technique.

Also, I got my track saw and holy poo poo this thing is amazing. I've been using it to cut sheathing and I can just put down the track and, bam, perfect cut. I don't even need clamps most of the time (too much sawdust makes it slippery tho'). The plunge action is especially helpful.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
I'm getting married at the end of March and have been thinking about registering for some new/upgraded tools.

I've registered for this new drill so far:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B00FK8WQEA

I currently rent a small apartment in NYC but will ultimately end up living in a house in the 'burbs within the next few years. For now, i'm looking for things like a good wrench/socket set, new screwdrivers etc - as I have limited space for now. I don't do a ton of handywork so I'm thinking a good set of basics that will last a lifetime and can be expanded upon sounds like a good plan.

Any suggestions on sets, brands, etc?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

E-Money posted:

I'm getting married at the end of March and have been thinking about registering for some new/upgraded tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Screwdriver/dp/B00FK8WQEA

I currently rent a small apartment in NYC but will ultimately end up living in a house in the 'burbs within the next few years. For now, i'm looking for things like a good wrench/socket set, new screwdrivers etc - as I have limited space for now. I don't do a ton of handywork so I'm thinking a good set of basics that will last a lifetime and can be expanded upon sounds like a good plan.

I never thought to register for tools. Thank you for this.

We seriously don't need a stand mixer, no matter what my fiancee tells you.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

E-Money posted:

Unless your already invested in M12 batteries and such, ha e you considered the Mr screwdriver? Otherwise, register for a drill and impact driver combo.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Surprised there is not a marriage between tools and kitchen appliances. A mixer that is powered by a milwaukee drill sounds great.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Surprised there is not a marriage between tools and kitchen appliances. A mixer that is powered by a milwaukee drill sounds great.

Uhh maybe you're doing it wrong?

Pizza dough roller

Potato peeler

Frosting tube

Meat tenderizer

With a little creativity, Dewalt offers a full line of kitchen tools.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Point taken. FWIW, I grind coffee with my hand grinder in my cordless drill. Works great

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I never knew they made a battery operated caulking gun .. is it really necessary?? I did a LOT of caulking back in the day and never once really saw a need for one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We have a corded hand whisk/mixer. I always grab the cleaner of my two ryobi drill drivers and slip the whisk attachment into the chuck. Cordless is better for nearly everything.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I never knew they made a battery operated caulking gun .. is it really necessary?? I did a LOT of caulking back in the day and never once really saw a need for one.

I think I've been made fun of in this thread for it already, but I own one. I wouldn't use it for finish caulking, but it owns for when you just need to put down a shitload of construction adhesive.

e: It's also good for caulking that you won't see, like when I put in new windows.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hell yes it is (in the right situations). You can lay down a perfect bead and go way faster. Also, cold PL Premium is a major pain in the rear end the squeeze out. In fact, I was just doing that and it sucked.

Same thing goes with battery powered grease guns. If you've got a machine to service every morning before use it's the difference between 5 minutes and 15 minutes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dragyn posted:

I never thought to register for tools. Thank you for this.

We seriously don't need a stand mixer, no matter what my fiancee tells you.

I can see you opening gifts the next day with your family. You tear the white and silver wrapping paper with matching bow off, move the tissue paper to the side, gasp and say "It's a cement mixer! Thank you so much, Aunt Gertrude!"

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
for what it's worth, my fiancee is pretty laid back about this stuff, but my move was "I'm just thinking ahead to when we own a home and you want me to take care of stuff around the house." Having a good set of tools is probably just as important for making your house a home as having those loving placemats, right?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Cakefool posted:

We have a corded hand whisk/mixer. I always grab the cleaner of my two ryobi drill drivers and slip the whisk attachment into the chuck. Cordless is better for nearly everything.

Not really much point to it with a stand mixer, though, it's more of a fixed appliance.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zhentar posted:

Not really much point to it with a stand mixer, though, it's more of a fixed appliance.

Which is why I have a bowl mount on my drill press.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The key feature of stand mixers is planetary motion, so a drill press won't make a very good one. It's a task much better suited to a CNC mill. And the CNC mill can be adapted to many other baking tasks as well! Clearly one of the essential pieces of kitchen equipment.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zhentar posted:

Clearly one of the essential pieces of kitchen equipment.

Well that's undoubtedly true, and was one of the key arguments for the 4x4 router I've been building.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
If this thread accomplished nothing else, I would be satisfied if caused at least one person to get a decent tool or 3 instead of a dust collecting stand mixer for a wedding present.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anubis posted:

If this thread accomplished nothing else, I would be satisfied if caused at least one person to get a decent tool or 3 instead of a dust collecting stand mixer for a wedding present.

Hey, we use our stand mixer darn near constantly. Just, you know, not in the shop. Can't figure out how to make the drat thing do lug nuts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife, parents and mother-in-law have nearly always bought me tools, I only wish I had a garage/workshop to do them justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Back before rural electrification, they sold home appliances that a housewife could power from her farmer husband's outdoor motor. Just hook up the washing machine to the motor, and there you go!

Speaking as a cook, you want a stand mixer for exactly the same reason you want (say) a drill press. There's a big difference between mixing a cake for 3 minutes while holding a hand mixer and whipping egg whites for 5-8 minutes with a balloon whip on a stand mixer with planetary motion. And there's no such thing as a dough hook for a hand mixer; they just don't have enough power to be effective. I would never be without my faithful Kitchenaid, which we got (gulp) 34 years ago and is still doing the job splendidly. If your fiancee bakes at all, she has every good reason to want a stand mixer. And you can attach a meat grinder and make your own sausage! (Which I did once, 34 years ago, but whatever. :p )