Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
People didn't like the 2009 pirates line? I thought it was great and had a fun bunch of sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new space shuttle doesn't feel very LEGO. Lots of big chunks of plastic.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Captain Invictus posted:

Anecdotal evidence is a helluva thing, huh?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8731022/Lego-sales-jump-25pc-thanks-to-minifigs-and-Ninjago.html

http://papercutz.com/lego-ninjago-sales-pass-2m

Ninjago is insanely popular. Chima on the other hand is getting the kibosh.

Can't be. If the loving comic books of Ninjago were selling 2 million copies as of april 2014, I doubt they've declined in popularity so quickly by now that they cancel the line.

Comic books =/= lego sets. I thought it was common knowledge they were ending the line. This isn't just my observation.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Captain Invictus posted:

Anecdotal evidence is a helluva thing, huh?

Unlike, say... a four year old newspaper article when discussing something's current popularity :rolleyes:

The Ninjago TV show is very popular and the sales of the comic are strong off the back of that. The recent sets... not so much. It would be far from the first time that media based on a toy line remained popular after sales for the toy itself have decline or it's been discontinued. There's supposed to be a film on the way though, so who knows. Chima sets and Chima related media are pretty popular as well.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

smackfu posted:

Only big chunks I see are the cockpit and maybe the ET nose cone. The rest of the stack looks very similar in construction to Shuttle Discovery, just smaller scale, and the shuttle itself looks a lot like the City shuttle from 2011.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

VaultAggie posted:

Are there any good lego podcasts? It's been bad weather here lately so I'm stuck at the office instead of out on a boat.

I listened to one a few years ago. Not that great, but not horrible. It was called brickcast maybe?

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Well I just got my first "big" set today: the Parisian Restaurant. Been wanting this one for a while, but I just had to get it. Now I just have to hope I don't go too far down the rabbit hole.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

smackfu posted:

Yeah, the launch one looks to be exactly the same as 3367 which I have at home. The smaller one looks silly, unneeded. Though that set looks like a nice companion piece to 3368. Going to make a nice playable NASA center. Actually they need to come out with a control center.

60097 looks sweet. A nice companion piece for 60026. Finally the crooks can steal some cars from the dealer GTA style.

Wank fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 29, 2015

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Mortuus posted:

Well I just got my first "big" set today: the Parisian Restaurant. Been wanting this one for a while, but I just had to get it. Now I just have to hope I don't go too far down the rabbit hole.

This was me a year ago

$10000 in Lego later and i can only laugh at my optimism back then

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Holy loving poo poo!

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2015/01/29/lego-avengers-helicarrier-announced-news/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

$350! drat!

I mean, that's awesome, but I can see that set being snatched up, stored away until it's retired and then selling for crazy money.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

This toyfair was a real banger, first there were the leaked photos of Titan-Class Devastator, now the Shield Helicarrier Lego set, holy moly

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Oh. I was dead excited for that set but I actually think it looks a bit poo poo. The studs everywhere doesn't really mesh with what I consider a very sleek, smooth design. I know that might be easy to fix, but it's all a little cramped looking too. I'd of rather had a nicer model and less play features.

Not an instant buy like I thought it would be.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
i knew it was coming but i wasn't prepared. I'm out of places in my apartment where I can really put something that big on display :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only part I really like is using the trophies as micro figures.

The model itself looks really janky.. though the part selection is pretty good. I just couldn't see myself paying $350 for parts of a model that every jorts wearing reseller is going to buy by the dozen and toss on ebay for stupid markup.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The scale isn't close to being consistent with itself either, which is kind of rubbish.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm definitely getting that. My oldest LOVES the Avengers, and that'll be fun to build with him.

PriorMarcus posted:

The scale isn't close to being consistent with itself either, which is kind of rubbish.

Not really uncommon in Lego in general. The Imperial Flagship is pretty terrible for that, and it's minifig scale.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
People want a helicarrier with minifigs, which will NEVER be in scale, this was the best they could do I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love that they're re-using the polybag Quinjets. And, I might have to get that. I'm really hoping it's around for a while, because I'm sure not buying it in March.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Captain Invictus posted:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

This toyfair was a real banger, first there were the leaked photos of Titan-Class Devastator, now the Shield Helicarrier Lego set, holy moly

I missed this, what was that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kensei posted:

Big two feet high transforming Devestator, previously rumoured, now confirmed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Saw that earlyer in twitter and I want it but with that pricetag? Nah, that ain't gonna happen.

xzzy posted:

Gallery of new sets being shown in Nuremberg:

http://imgur.com/a/2LRtm

I honestly want that Lego F-35. :shobon:

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

People want a helicarrier with minifigs, which will NEVER be in scale, this was the best they could do I think.

I'd have to guess a minifig scale version would be probably 2 grand or more. That's never ever going to happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TriggerHappy posted:

I'd have to guess a minifig scale version would be probably 2 grand or more. That's never ever going to happen.

Minifig scale is impossible.. minifigs are generally calculated to be 1:43 scale compared to real humans, which means a properly scaled hellicarrier would be like 37 feet long.

That's a hell of a lot of bricks.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

Gallery of new sets being shown in Nuremberg:

http://imgur.com/a/2LRtm

The flatiron building and the louvre look goddamn amazing.

It's also cool that the super agent line is keeping those comical satellite dish wheels.

They're a bit difficult to make out but the new divers sets are looking good. Though that twin-engine helicopter is like a replica of the recent police helicopter.

That Creator Jet :stare:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

kensei posted:

It's not a Lego set if that's what you're wondering.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That Creator Jet :stare:

Seriously.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ChesterJT posted:

It's not a Lego set if that's what you're wondering.

Seriously.

Yeah, I thought it was a Lego set and I had somehow missed it. Thank you both!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm grateful to the Lego gods for having mercy on my wallet by making that carrier non-minifig, which completely killed my interest in it. So what if the scale isn't perfect? They could have made some microfighter style jets and still done it as a proper play set. I don't think for a second jort tears will affect the sales of this thing, but something about this is just a letdown given the UCS designation & price tag.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't care about minifig scale, I just think the model looks like poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

When I was talking about scale I meant that the little Quinjet's are too big, the run ways too thin, etc. It's not in scale with itself, was my point.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It looks okay to me. But for that price, it should look better than okay I think. Not really my sort of thing anyway, and you'd need a huge space to put it by the looks of things.

It's the sort of thing I'd have loved as a kid though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It never would have gotten closer to me than pictures in the catalog when I was a kid.

3000 piece lego kits were the stuff of legend.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have a really hard time buying anything over $200, and I'm much happier at $150. The modulars hit that sweet spot nicely.

$350 is just ridiculous.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mortuus posted:

Funny thing, I'm getting back into Lego, and I just finished my Parisian Restaurant, and I'm realizing that this was another mistake on the same level as getting back into Lego, because now I know that I need a Detective's Office, Greengrocer, and Palace Cinema to keep it company.

Help.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Went looking for amiibos at a Toys R Us, found none but they had the series 13 bags in. First one I grab is Hot Dog Guy. I'm blessed.

xzzy posted:

It never would have gotten closer to me than pictures in the catalog when I was a kid.

3000 piece lego kits were the stuff of legend.

I used to just daydream constantly about the expensive Legos as a kid, I would just stare at catalogs for hours on end and make up little pretend stories about the pictures of the playsets. One of my bucket list items was "buy a huge $100 Lego set" and I finally checked that off with Benny's Spaceship.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

The Lord of Hats posted:

Funny thing, I'm getting back into Lego, and I just finished my Parisian Restaurant, and I'm realizing that this was another mistake on the same level as getting back into Lego, because now I know that I need a Detective's Office, Greengrocer, and Palace Cinema to keep it company.

Help.

This is just the first huge set I've bought. I have about 10 Star Wars sets on my desk right now, but I've never spent more than whatever the newest minifig scale Slave 1 cost. I really wanted the Detective's Office too, but I figured I had to get the Parisian Restaurant first. It's just so much fun to build, and it looks amazing.

FordGT40
Jul 4, 2012

smackfu posted:

I have a really hard time buying anything over $200, and I'm much happier at $150. The modulars hit that sweet spot nicely.

$350 is just ridiculous.

Agreed, the detective agency or The Tumbler are next for me because the pricing is just right...but then again that Death Star looks very tempting. Rabbit hole indeed.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Toys R Us has Galaxy Squad stuff 30% off, and they're also on hefty clearance. My TRU only had Crater Creepers Bug Obliterators left, but the Creepers were marked down to $5 (from $20) and the Obliterators down to $65 or so, and the 30% off stacked. So I picked up the Creepers for about $4.19 apiece and the Obliterators for about $45 apiece. I went a little crazy and got 5 Creepers and the last 4 Obliterators. 3700 pieces for $200, not too bad. I haven't picked up a pile of identical sets for parts like this since the Mars Mission EXT Infiltrator. Going to have to experiment to see what I can build instead of just dumping them into my sort tubs.

Wank posted:

Yeah, the launch one looks to be exactly the same as 3367 which I have at home.

It's a similar design, but it's not identical. The cockpit piece is new, and the engine assembly is different. I'm not sure thanks to the lighting, but the cargo bay doors appear to be a different piece, too (they almost look round, and where they meet is 2-wide, not 4-wide like 3367). The flaps are hinged differently.

And, really, if you're making a similar-scale minifig-compatible Space Shuttle, there's not much room for variation.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 30, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A UCS Space Shuttle would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

smackfu posted:

A UCS Space Shuttle would be awesome.

There was the 100$ space shuttle set a few years ago.