Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
XBee modems are nice for small wireless serial communication: http://examples.digi.com/

They're a mesh network so you don't need a main router or anything else, just two modems to talk to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can pick up an HC-06 bluetooth module which can run as master or slave, is 3-5v tolerant. The HC-05 is the same hardware but the firmware only allows slave mode (and typically a dollar cheaper). If you're patient you can reflash an HC-05 to HC-06.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Parts Kit posted:

I would like something similar, but just a simple wireless signal instead of wi-fi. What should I be looking for?

There's also http://playground.arduino.cc/InterfacingWithHardware/Nrf24L01 which can be had for pretty dang cheap, like well under a buck a piece, that may meet your more simple raw transceiver type needs.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bad Munki posted:

There's also http://playground.arduino.cc/InterfacingWithHardware/Nrf24L01 which can be had for pretty dang cheap, like well under a buck a piece, that may meet your more simple raw transceiver type needs.

Yeah, you can buy 10-packs of Nordic boards on eBay for cheap, and probably 2 won't work, but it's still a hell of a lot better value than SparkFun or whatever. Try to get the + version if you can, there's some pretty cool additional features.

Also just ordered a couple of those wifi modules since I totally forgot I had this adjustable buck regulator lying around unused, now I just have to work out the most effort-free way to deal with logic level conversion. Or I could just blow ten bucks on an Arduino board that uses 3.3V logic. For whatever reason I thought the Mega2560 did, but I was probably thinking of the Due.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah the Due does 3.3V, but honestly I would avoid the board. It's fast and has a lot of memory, but not a lot of libraries support it and it has a lot of quirks. Just pick up a level converter chip and use that to do 5V to 3.3V (you don't need to worry about 3.3V to 5V since the signal will still register as high on a 5V Arduino).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AliExpress has these guys for $3.84 shipped with a more traditional Arduino-style pinout, has both a built in antenna and a standard-looking (MMCXJ-W?) connector with external antenna.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP8266-Serial-Port-WIFI-Wireless-Transceiver-Send-Receive-Module-IO-Lead-Out/32254810086.html

Pin numbers are face down :psyduck:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Hadlock posted:

AliExpress has these guys for $3.84 shipped with a more traditional Arduino-style pinout, has both a built in antenna and a standard-looking (MMCXJ-W?) connector with external antenna.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP8266-Serial-Port-WIFI-Wireless-Transceiver-Send-Receive-Module-IO-Lead-Out/32254810086.html

Pin numbers are face down :psyduck:

drat! looks neat, and not much more expensive.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I hope you can solder that serial header on yourself. They put it on the wrong way in that photo so you can't actually plug it into a breadboard. If it was facing up you could put it on a breadboard and then plug cables into it from the top.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

eh, just grab some pliers and bend the pins 90 degrees

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

peepsalot posted:

eh, just grab some pliers and bend the pins 90 degrees

You should feel honored now.

Question about programming with an external programmer: I think I've accidentally set lock bits that lock me out of using an ISP, is there a way to fix that?

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
Woo!

Using the neopixel weather station instructable, http://www.instructables.com/id/NeoWeather-Ambient-Weather-Indicator/

I was able to get my Electric Imp hooked up to my wireless, which pings Weather Underground, and will feed my neopixel backlights different graphical representations of the current local ambient weather conditions...

Since the photo, I went ahead and wired the electric imp board to 5V and GND coming off the nixie driver board.

I might go in and make some new states, like sunrise, sunset, etc. But for now it's working. I spent all day friday with it going at work, while rain was happening outside off and on, and it reacted the way I expected. Faded in and out depending on weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQ3XCXqKm0

Now I need to build a nice box for it.

I also switched the nixie driver board to a german one from my ArduiNIX because of size. This board is a lot skinnier, and will fit my project better. Plus I don't need this one to be reprogrammable, I just want clock functions for the nixies.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

nonentity posted:

[words and photo]

That project is really coming along nicely. Maybe I'll make one eventually.

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
Is there any particular type of motor I should get if I want to have a very accurate angular velocity around 1500rpm?

I'm trying to measure the speed of light via the Foucault method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizeau%E2%80%93Foucault_apparatus), but I'm not exactly sure what kind of motor I need to get that will give me a constant, accurate speed.

I was looking at something like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/711.

I'm probably going to be using a raspberry pi to drive it just because I already have one, but I could do it with an arduino so I thought you guys might be able to help.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

TheCobraEffect posted:

Is there any particular type of motor I should get if I want to have a very accurate angular velocity around 1500rpm?

I'm trying to measure the speed of light via the Foucault method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizeau%E2%80%93Foucault_apparatus), but I'm not exactly sure what kind of motor I need to get that will give me a constant, accurate speed.

I was looking at something like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/711.

I'm probably going to be using a raspberry pi to drive it just because I already have one, but I could do it with an arduino so I thought you guys might be able to help.

The two most common systems I've seen for regulating the speed of optical choppers / flicker veins / (whatever preferred term) have both been basically identical in function. Either a magnet and a detector are disturbed by a metallic blade or an IR beam and detector (which I'd recommend) are disturbed by an opaque beam to provide pulses to be interpreted by a dedicated uC. This is then used to either increase or decrease the current running to the motor to constantly adjust it toward the intended speed.

If you can get the sensor to trigger the high and low states depending on the position of the blade, and set a uC to grab the system time on a rising or falling edge (or just on a change, if that's practical), you can have it difference the current value from the previous value, to figure out what the period is and adjust the current to the motor to get it in line with the intended period.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Two questions:

1) What is the maximum switching frequency of the Uno outputs?

2) What is the maximum switching frequency of this optoisolator: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/314

Background:

Basically, I'm trying to build a stepper motor control circuit. Right now I have the arduino outputs going through the above optoisolator. There's no motor attached right now, I just have some LEDs on there...eventually I will be putting MOSFETs on there to drive the motor. I can sketch a schematic and post the code tonight after I get home, if necessary.

The other thing I have hooked up for testing purposes is a pot to adjust the speed. Every 1000 us I'm reading the pot value and calculating the speed of the "motor" and translating that to us per step. I don't THINK there's a problem with my code, but I recently re-wrote it to run functions periodically off a timer instead of using the delay() function. So the loop() function freewheels and calls the functions every so often. I may have some bugs in there, but aside from hitting some top speed everything appears to be running as intended.

Problem:

I set up the serial to output the calculations to my PC. I can't remember the exact numbers I got last night, but at any faster than 20,000 us between steps I didn't see any visual difference in the blink rate of the LEDs. However, loop() was executing in about 600 us start to finish, so I don't think that was the limitation. Basically, I can still see them blink, but even if I scale the pot such that I achieve speed of 150 us between steps, it looks exactly the same to me. I would expect some visual difference at even 10,000 us/step vs 20,000 us/step, but it looks exactly the same to me.

I haven't read an IC data sheet or really done any board level stuff since I was in college, but it appears that the optoisolator should be able to do either 80kHz or 36 us between switching (18 us each for rise and fall time, which looks like 27.7 kHz).

edit: did a quick check of the data sheet and with the load resistance of 300 ohms for the LED, the minimum width of the output pulse (rise time + fall time + propagation delay (rise and fall)) for a 300 ohm load is about 18 us TOTAL, which gives me a max frequency of 55,648 kHz...way faster than I need. Still not sure if I'm reading this right, but from what I can tell the output response of the optoisolator isn't my limiting factor. So it could be the input characteristics, or the arduino outputs, or it could be the code.

To be sure, I didn't really try hard to design the circuit...I just threw some stuff together and it works so far, but if I need to do some optimization then so be it.

So far, the only software limitation that I can see is the loop() execution time, and that shouldn't be an issue at 20,000 us/step.

Any thoughts as to where I'm hitting a limitation?

Do my resistor values play a role in the switching speed? I know there's some RC garbage going on that will affect the rise/fall times, but I don't know if that's going to have a significant effect at the speeds I'm looking at. I'm not using the 50 ohm resistor on the input side as shown in the example schematic for the optoisolator. More something around 220-300 (can't remember exactly) in order to limit the current coming from the Arduino pins. But I am using the 100 ohm pull-down resistor on the output side of the optoisolator, as well as a 300 ohm current limiting resistor to power the LED.

Also, does the current on the input side of the optoisolator have any impact on the output? I think I had intentionally selected the resistor as 220 ohm to limit the current supplied by the board. Do I need to up this to get better performance?

Oh and for reference, everything is running on 5VDC.

I have an ancient scope at home that I can hook up to try and get an actual read on the switching time...it's an old analog scope, so it'll be a chore, but I can probably get a ballpark.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 29, 2015

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It would be helpful if you posted your code, but in my experience any time someone complains about having trouble at only high frequencies it is almost always because they are calling the serial write function every loop and it's bogging things down.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

TheLastManStanding posted:

It would be helpful if you posted your code, but in my experience any time someone complains about having trouble at only high frequencies it is almost always because they are calling the serial write function every loop and it's bogging things down.

Welp.

That did it. I had the serial spitting out the calculations every loop...I didn't have that in a separate function call. Oops.

edit:

OK so how do I speed up the serial write? Do I need to write my own driver? I'll eventually need to use serial to communicate with a PC for control.

I parted the serial writes in to a diagnostic routine that runs once a second. Once I did that, typical scans went pretty fast at about 60 us. But, I timed the diagnostic routine on its own and it takes quite a while. At 9600 baud it was taking about 45,000 us, and when I crank it up to 115,200 baud it still takes about 4,000 us. Huge improvement, but it effectively means that if I ever want serial communication, I can't step any faster than 250 Hz. Any faster and I risk stuttering on the scans that I do a serial write.

I'm not 100% sure if this is a problem, because I haven't bothered to calculate the speed I actually need, but it seems awfully inconvenient.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 30, 2015

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Two questions:

1) What is the maximum switching frequency of the Uno outputs?

I know it's been solved but but the answer is incredibly fast. It's limited by code, not the electronics. It's not hard to get it up to 4mhz but it requires a few tricks. It also can't do anything else at the same time, as it's a loop that's nothing more than turning a bank of pins on then off with interrupts disabled.

Last I checked if you used standard digitalWrite calls it was closer to 100khz, but that was quite some time ago and libraries might have changed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I got one of those $10, 3 wheeled robot chassis off of ali express/ebay, am I just a huge baby for not soldering a wire to the leads on the motors, power switch and battery case? I soldered on 0.1" header pins to each of them to make it easier to plug a bunch of female to male jumper cables between them and a breadboard.

Also, all the adafruit shield/hats have these big 10x15 "prototype areas" to fill up unused space, should I be using these for something? The only thing I can think of (right now) for my proto area is to add some 0.1" headers and a resistor inline to make it easy to add on extra LEDs for "tailights/headlights" off of the 3.3v rail. I feel like I'm wasting the space, but I'm thinking it's just probably a perk offered by a high quality PCB to justify Adafruit's higher prices.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

DaveSauce posted:

OK so how do I speed up the serial write? Do I need to write my own driver? I'll eventually need to use serial to communicate with a PC for control.

I parted the serial writes in to a diagnostic routine that runs once a second. Once I did that, typical scans went pretty fast at about 60 us. But, I timed the diagnostic routine on its own and it takes quite a while. At 9600 baud it was taking about 45,000 us, and when I crank it up to 115,200 baud it still takes about 4,000 us. Huge improvement, but it effectively means that if I ever want serial communication, I can't step any faster than 250 Hz. Any faster and I risk stuttering on the scans that I do a serial write.

I'm not 100% sure if this is a problem, because I haven't bothered to calculate the speed I actually need, but it seems awfully inconvenient.
The atmega328's UART can only transmit one byte at a time, and it can generate an interrupt when that byte has been sent. If you have a tight main loop, you might be able to get away with writing a thin driver. Write a function that keeps a string buffer and writes a single character from that buffer each time through the loop. (If you're lucky, the existing driver won't do any delays when writing a single byte.) Check the serial-transmit-done flag before writing the character. The datasheet code example says it's UDRE0 in register UCSR0A. http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc8161.pdf , section 19.6.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

DaveSauce posted:

Post your code, because that still seems really slow.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Post your code, because that still seems really slow.

I'll post it tonight when I get home...at work right now, so I don't have it with me. I will also preface by saying it's been years since I did any C programming, so I'm still re-learning everything I've forgotten...meaning it's ugly and there's a lot of half-assed garbage in there.

Other than that, I should clarify that I'm using Serial.print() and Serial.println(). I can't see from the reference that there's going to be a huge speed difference using Serial.write(), but I don't know what's going on under the hood.

I'm also using the USB port, if that makes any difference.

I did check, though, and it appears as though the Serial.print() command runs asynchronous. Doesn't that mean it should have very little impact on the main loop() execution time? I would take that to mean it simply parses and offloads the data to a buffer and returns while some other logic handles the nuts and bolts of sending the data over the wire. Unless I'm overloading the buffer and it has to sit and wait for the data to transmit out. But I'm making assumptions here to try and sound like I know what I'm talking about.

On a similar-yet-separate subject, how accurate is the clock?

I'm wondering if I can use it as a slip/stutter detection mechanism...meaning if I miss a step (or at a higher level, simply fail to run some arbitrary function) because something else took too long, I can detect this and correct. In the case of a stepper motor, I'm imaging that if I'm running the motor at a constant speed, and some long-running function causes me to miss a few steps, I can use the clock to estimate where I was supposed to be and run faster for a few cycles in order to correct myself. Basically, if this were a servo, I'd be trying to follow the position of a virtual axis. It's less of a constant-velocity application and more of a position-at-time application, if that makes any sense. That's a long way down the road from where I am now, but it's something I'm interested in attempting eventually.

Also, odd question, but will the compiler complain if I try to assign negative values to an unsigned long? Similarly, if I try to compare an unsigned long to a negative value (say -1), will it work? I'm thinking about timers for my periodic functions. The timers will never actually be negative, but it would make my logic cleaner if I could treat 0 as run every loop, and -1 as never run (instead of run every 70 minutes).

edit:

So here's the code. Again, a lot of it is half-assed, and some of it wasn't well thought out...I just threw together what came to my head.

stepperMotorStructs.h
code:
typedef struct
{
  unsigned long timeDelayUS;
  unsigned long lastExecuted;
} periodicFunction;
main code
code:
/*
  stepperControl

This code is a basic bipolar stepper control.
 */

#include "stepperMotorStructs.h"

// Define motor output pins
int wire[4] = {2, 4, 7, 8};

// Define analog input pins
int speedPotInput = 0;

// Motor output states, configured for 4 wire control
int stepperFirstStep = 0;               // First step
int stepperLastStep = 3;                // Last step
int currentStep = 0;                    // Initial step (1 through 4)
bool stepState[4] = {1,0,1,0};          // defaults to state 1 on initial run

bool motorDirection = 1;                // Set motor direction, 0 = REV, 1 = FWD

unsigned long stepsPerRev = 400;                  // Number of steps per rotation
unsigned long gearRatio = 1;                      // Gear ratio, output shaft to motor
unsigned long maxSpeed = 100;                      // Max speed of motor, RPM

unsigned long speedCommand = 0;                   // Reference speed command
unsigned long speedCommandMin = 0;                // Minimum speed command (for scaling)
unsigned long speedCommandMax = 1023;             // Maximum speed command (for scaling)

unsigned long stepDelay = 500000;                  // Delay between step state changes (in us)

// assign time slices to periodic code sections
periodicFunction analogReadFunction = {1000, 0};          // Set the analog read update rate
periodicFunction stepChangeFunction = {1000000, 0};       // Set the step change rate
periodicFunction diagnosticFunction = {1000000, 0};        // Set the diagnostic reporting rate

// diagnostic variables
unsigned int currentScanStart = 0;        // Start time of current scan
unsigned int lastScanTime = 0;            // Scan since start of last loop()
unsigned int maxScanTime = 0;             // Max scan time since last power cycle
unsigned int currentDiagScanStart = 0;    // Start time of current diagnostic routine
unsigned int lastDiagScanTime = 0;        // Scan time of the last diagnostic loop

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() 
{
  // start serial debugging
  Serial.begin(115200);

// initialize motor wire pins as outputs
  for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  {
    pinMode(wire[i], OUTPUT);
  }

}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() 
{
  // Calculate loop scan time
  currentScanStart = micros();
  if(lastScanTime > maxScanTime)
  {
    maxScanTime = lastScanTime;
  }

// Calculate the delay between loops
  //  Use the speed pot to translate analog signal to steps per
  //  second, which is then translated to delay between steps.

if (runtimeCheck(&analogReadFunction))
  {
    // Read analog signal from pin
    speedCommand = analogRead(speedPotInput);

// calculate delay time between steps
    stepDelay = (60000000)/(((speedCommand-speedCommandMin)*(stepsPerRev * maxSpeed))/(speedCommandMax-speedCommandMin));
    stepChangeFunction.timeDelayUS = stepDelay;
  }

if (runtimeCheck(&stepChangeFunction))
  {
      // increment the step
    if (motorDirection)
    {
      // motor is moving forward, add 1 to step
      currentStep++;
      if (currentStep > stepperLastStep)
      {
        // motor has reached last step; reset to first step
        currentStep = stepperFirstStep;
      }
    }
    else
    {
      // motor is moving reverse, subtract 1 from step
      currentStep--;
      if (currentStep < stepperFirstStep)
      {
        // motor has reached first step; reset to last step
        currentStep = stepperLastStep;
      }      
    }
  }

int stepResult = step(currentStep, stepState);

if (stepResult >= 0)
  {
    for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
    {
      if (stepState[i] == 1)
      {
        digitalWrite(wire[i], HIGH);
      }
      else
      {
        digitalWrite(wire[i], LOW);
      }
    }
  }  
  // Step funciton has failed for some reason.  Write all outputs to zero.
  // -- should add some extra error handling/signalling
  else
  {
    for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
    {
      stepState[i] = 0;
    }  
  }

if(runtimeCheck(&diagnosticFunction))
  {
    currentDiagScanStart = micros();
    Serial.print("\n\n\n---------- Diagnostics at ");
    Serial.print(currentDiagScanStart);
    Serial.print("\nMaximum scan time: ");
    Serial.print(maxScanTime);
    Serial.print("\nLast scan time: ");
    Serial.print(lastScanTime);
    Serial.print("\nLast diagnostic scan time: ");
    Serial.print(lastDiagScanTime);
    lastDiagScanTime = micros() - currentDiagScanStart;
  }
  lastScanTime = micros() - currentScanStart;
}

/*
  Runtime check
    Checks how long it's been since a routine was last run and compares it against
      its expected delay.
    Returns 1 if routine should be run
    Returns 0 if routine should not be run
*/
boolean runtimeCheck(periodicFunction *function)
{
  unsigned long currentTime = micros();
  unsigned long timeSinceExec = 0;
  // Check if millis() has overflowed since last function exectution
  if (currentTime < function->lastExecuted)
  {
    // millis() has overflowed.  Time since last execution will be the max value
    //  of millis() minus the last execution time plus current value of millis()
    //  plus 1 (to account for overflow).
    timeSinceExec = (4294967295 - function->lastExecuted) + micros() + 1;
  }
  else
  {
    timeSinceExec = (micros() - function->lastExecuted);
  }
  // Check if function should be executed
  if (timeSinceExec >= function->timeDelayUS)
  {
    // set lastExecuted to the current time
    function->lastExecuted = micros();
    return 1;
  }

return 0;  
}

/* Stepper output control - 4 steps
 Use the following 4-step gray code for the stepper motor:
 State  1  2  3  4
 0      1  0  1  0
 1      0  1  1  0
 2      0  1  0  1
 3      1  0  0  1
*/
int step(int sequence, bool state[4]) 
{
  if (sequence < 0 || sequence > 3)
  {
    return -1;
  } 
  else
  {
    switch(sequence)
    {
    case 0:
      state[0] = 1;
      state[1] = 0;
      state[2] = 1;
      state[3] = 0;      
      break;
    case 1:
      state[0] = 0;
      state[1] = 1;
      state[2] = 1;
      state[3] = 0; 
      break;
    case 2:
      state[0] = 0;
      state[1] = 1;
      state[2] = 0;
      state[3] = 1; 
      break;
    case 3:
      state[0] = 1;
      state[1] = 0;
      state[2] = 0;
      state[3] = 1; 
      break;
    }
  }

return 0;
}

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 30, 2015

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

On a similar-yet-separate subject, how accurate is the clock?

I'm wondering if I can use it as a slip/stutter detection mechanism...meaning if I miss a step (or at a higher level, simply fail to run some arbitrary function) because something else took too long, I can detect this and correct. In the case of a stepper motor, I'm imaging that if I'm running the motor at a constant speed, and some long-running function causes me to miss a few steps, I can use the clock to estimate where I was supposed to be and run faster for a few cycles in order to correct myself. Basically, if this were a servo, I'd be trying to follow the position of a virtual axis. It's less of a constant-velocity application and more of a position-at-time application, if that makes any sense. That's a long way down the road from where I am now, but it's something I'm interested in attempting eventually.

Accuracy is decent, but not great. The best bit of data I can still find tested their resonator to be 761 PPM (or 0.077%). So it lost about a minute every day. I remember people talking about specs and saying it could gain or lose up to 5min every day, but I can't find any of those conversations anymore. That would be about ~3500ppm (.35%)

Even if we take the worst of those figures, your 16mhz clock would be +/- 56000hz or slow/fast by 17uS/cycle.

But this is comparing wrongness to an absolute clock. They produce wrong clocks, but typically they're consistently wrong clocks. The amount of wrongness will vary component to component, but it'll stay pretty much the same.

Which means that I'd say it's very useable for things like this.

DaveSauce posted:

Also, odd question, but will the compiler complain if I try to assign negative values to an unsigned long? Similarly, if I try to compare an unsigned long to a negative value (say -1), will it work? I'm thinking about timers for my periodic functions. The timers will never actually be negative, but it would make my logic cleaner if I could treat 0 as run every loop, and -1 as never run (instead of run every 70 minutes).

The compiler won't complain at all, and when you run it, it will be interpreted as a very large positive number.

It works (almost)* like this. With signed integers if the first bit is 0 the number is positive, and if the first bit is 1 the number is negative. With unsigned ints the first bit is just the first bit of the number.

So if you assign negative 2 (10000010) to an unsigned int you wind up with 130. This is probably not the behavior that you are looking for.

There is no shortage of software that has problems related to this.

*It's actually more complex than that. The real representation for a negative number is inverting the bits, and then adding 1. The reason for this is that it lets you use addition hardware for subtraction and gets rid of negative 0 (10000000). The actual representation for -2 is 1111 1110, which if assigned to a unsigned int would wind up as 254.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
These should all be int since I can't image them going over 32,767 or 65,535.
code:
unsigned long stepsPerRev = 400;                  // Number of steps per rotation
unsigned long gearRatio = 1;                      // Gear ratio, output shaft to motor
unsigned long maxSpeed = 100;                      // Max speed of motor, RPM
unsigned long speedCommand = 0;                   // Reference speed command
unsigned long speedCommandMin = 0;                // Minimum speed command (for scaling)
unsigned long speedCommandMax = 1023;             // Maximum speed command (for scaling)
These should all be unsigned long as that is what the timer puts out; currently they are set to overflow which would crash the program after some time.
code:
unsigned int currentScanStart = 0;        // Start time of current scan
unsigned int lastScanTime = 0;            // Scan since start of last loop()
unsigned int maxScanTime = 0;             // Max scan time since last power cycle
unsigned int currentDiagScanStart = 0;    // Start time of current diagnostic routine
unsigned int lastDiagScanTime = 0;        // Scan time of the last diagnostic loop
For things like this:
code:
currentStep++;
      {
      }
you can simplify them to
code:
currentStep = ++currentStep % 4;
and 
currentStep = (4 + --currentStep) % 4;
Don't include text in your serial writes unless it's done once as a table header. Currently you're writing at least 90 extra bytes. That's where your 4 milli slowdown is happening. If you want that text on every line then write a program to handle it on the terminal side.
code:
if(runtimeCheck(&diagnosticFunction))
  {
    currentDiagScanStart = micros();
    Serial.print("\n\n\n---------- Diagnostics at ");
    Serial.print(currentDiagScanStart);
    Serial.print("\nMaximum scan time: ");
    Serial.print(maxScanTime);
    Serial.print("\nLast scan time: ");
    Serial.print(lastScanTime);
    Serial.print("\nLast diagnostic scan time: ");
    Serial.print(lastDiagScanTime);
    lastDiagScanTime = micros() - currentDiagScanStart;
  }
  lastScanTime = micros() - currentScanStart;
Your step function is basically returning a boolean (0 or -1), you might as well change it to one. You're also passing two global variables to it, which isn't necessary since nothing special happens in that function. But the main issue is that you're calling digitalWrite 4 times every loop when you should only be calling it once only when there is a need too (because digitalWrite is slow). The direction and the current step are enough to build a switch case which will run only when the current step changes. This also means the stepState array is redundant since the current step already contains that information (indirectly). It would also be beneficial to look into port manipulation as it would speed up your write times and simplify the output code.
code:
int stepResult = step(currentStep, stepState);

if (stepResult >= 0)
  {
    for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
    {
      if (stepState[i] == 1)
      {
        digitalWrite(wire[i], HIGH);
      }
      else
      {
        digitalWrite(wire[i], LOW);
      }
    }
  }  

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
To throw that all together with an example, the main part of your code should be something along the lines of:
code:
if(update){
  if(motorDirection) currentStep = ++currentStep % 4;
  else currentStep = (4 + --currentStep) % 4;
  switch(currentStep){
    case 0:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE0) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
    case 1:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE1) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
    case 2:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE2) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
    case 3:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE3) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
  }
}
With this stuff at the very beginning.
code:
#define STATE0 B00001010
#define STATE1 B00000110
#define STATE2 B00000101
#define STATE3 B00001001
#define MASK B00001111
This is using pins 8-11 (they read in reverse, so pin 8 is the far right bit). I noticed you were using all the non-pwm pins; wasn't sure if there was a reason, but it's much easier to code if all 4 of the pins for the stepper are on the same block (i.e. pins 8-13 or 2-7);

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

DaveSauce posted:

I did check, though, and it appears as though the Serial.print() command runs asynchronous. Doesn't that mean it should have very little impact on the main loop() execution time? I would take that to mean it simply parses and offloads the data to a buffer and returns while some other logic handles the nuts and bolts of sending the data over the wire. Unless I'm overloading the buffer and it has to sit and wait for the data to transmit out. But I'm making assumptions here to try and sound like I know what I'm talking about.
You're right, it's smarter than I expected. But the buffer size is only 64 bytes. You're printing more than that in one go so it's going to spend some time waiting.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Aurium posted:

Accuracy is decent, but not great. The best bit of data I can still find tested their resonator to be 761 PPM (or 0.077%). So it lost about a minute every day. I remember people talking about specs and saying it could gain or lose up to 5min every day, but I can't find any of those conversations anymore. That would be about ~3500ppm (.35%)

Even if we take the worst of those figures, your 16mhz clock would be +/- 56000hz or slow/fast by 17uS/cycle.

But this is comparing wrongness to an absolute clock. They produce wrong clocks, but typically they're consistently wrong clocks. The amount of wrongness will vary component to component, but it'll stay pretty much the same.

It would probably work for my purposes then. I would prefer that it's accurate, but I can probably work around that if I have to.

quote:

The compiler won't complain at all, and when you run it, it will be interpreted as a very large positive number.

I should probably mention that I'm a computer engineer by training, so all this stuff is not completely foreign to me. But, I work in industrial controls, so the programming languages I work with are very different (though the underlying concepts are the same). I've worked with C before, but the last time I did anything was about 5 years ago, and that was just maintenance of someone else's code. The last time I had to write C code was in college.

So I do understand 2's compliment, which is actually what I'm counting on. For my function timing logic, want to make a "run as fast as possible" condition (timer = 0), but I also want a "never run" condition (timer = max). I know that -1 is equal to all 1s in binary for a given variable size (i.e. int, long, etc.), so my logic would be much cleaner if I could just call "never run" -1 instead of loading 0xFFFF. There's no practical difference, in microseconds, between 0xFFFF and 0xFFFE for my purposes, so I'm more than willing to sacrifice 1us of timing to get cleaner code.

Again, I just can't remember all the details of C, so I didn't know if the compiler would flip out if I tried to load -1 in to an unsigned long.

These should all be int since I can't image them going over 32,767 or 65,535.

Yup. They were, until I had some wacky problems with my stepDelay calculation. stepDelay was an unsigned long, and my math was overflowing the ints so it was getting some weird results. I had had a few beers when I figured out what was going on, and I forgot that I could just cast them as unsigned longs in-line. I do intend on putting those back as ints.

quote:

These should all be unsigned long as that is what the timer puts out; currently they are set to overflow which would crash the program after some time.

Yup. I noticed that a minute after I posted the code...I was hoping nobody would notice. Beer code is the best code.

quote:

For things like this:
code:
currentStep++;
      {
      }
you can simplify them to
code:
currentStep = ++currentStep % 4;
and 
currentStep = (4 + --currentStep) % 4;

That briefly crossed my mind when I wrote it, but then I remembered that I always had trouble figuring out modulo stuff in college, so I decided to be lazy instead.

quote:

Don't include text in your serial writes unless it's done once as a table header. Currently you're writing at least 90 extra bytes. That's where your 4 milli slowdown is happening. If you want that text on every line then write a program to handle it on the terminal side.

So this appears to be the meat of the issue. I didn't suspect it would take that long. Not sure why...I guess I assumed that all the serial comms were handled elsewhere and wouldn't impact my code.

quote:

Your step function is basically returning a boolean (0 or -1), you might as well change it to one.

Yeah, I made it return an int because I thought I might want to put some more information in there later, but meh. I'll probably make it a bool and then cross that bridge when I get to it.

quote:

You're also passing two global variables to it, which isn't necessary since nothing special happens in that function.

Yeah, didn't really think of it that way. I wrote it that way to try to keep the loop() logic clean and to try to put as much other stuff in functions as I can. It was one of the first things I did in this program, so as I'm remembering how C works I'm probably going to change them.

quote:

But the main issue is that you're calling digitalWrite 4 times every loop when you should only be calling it once only when there is a need too (because digitalWrite is slow). The direction and the current step are enough to build a switch case which will run only when the current step changes. This also means the stepState array is redundant since the current step already contains that information (indirectly). It would also be beneficial to look into port manipulation as it would speed up your write times and simplify the output code.

I was about to say that this is wrong, but it's not. I thought that was in my timed function. I'm also used to ladder logic, where if I'm not energizing an output every cycle it will turn off on its own...I know this is wrong in C, but my mind isn't fully in that mode. I'll probably just stash that logic up a few lines to where I increment stepState.

I'll have to think about stepState some more. Eventually I will need to keep track of positional information, so I will need to have some way to track each step and add/subtract from some total number of steps.

But thanks for taking a look at my code. I think I'll probably just plow forward knowing that I'll have to address the serial comms eventually. I'm not entirely sure what they will look like, so hopefully it isn't anything too hefty. Basically I'm going to be building a tracking mechanism for my telescope. The basic function is simply to control the speed at a certain rate, but in the future I will want to integrate it with PC-based (and eventually phone based) star-map software. There exists a serial protocol that will allow a PC to tell a telescope how to aim to any given star, so EVENTUALLY I'll be trying to figure that out.

But for now, I just want to get the motor spinning, and have some fun playing with C code again in the meantime.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

To throw that all together with an example, the main part of your code should be something along the lines of:
code:
if(update){
  if(motorDirection) currentStep = ++currentStep % 4;
  else currentStep = (4 + --currentStep) % 4;
  switch(currentStep){
    case 0:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE0) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
    case 1:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE1) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
    case 2:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE2) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
    case 3:
      PORTB = (MASK & STATE3) | (PORTB & ~MASK);
      break;
  }
}
With this stuff at the very beginning.
code:
#define STATE0 B00001010
#define STATE1 B00000110
#define STATE2 B00000101
#define STATE3 B00001001
#define MASK B00001111
This is using pins 8-11 (they read in reverse, so pin 8 is the far right bit). I noticed you were using all the non-pwm pins; wasn't sure if there was a reason, but it's much easier to code if all 4 of the pins for the stepper are on the same block (i.e. pins 8-13 or 2-7);

I found out that if I have something wired to pin 0, it won't upload the program. I was initially using 0-3, but it didn't take long for me to get tired of lifting the wire to upload. I didn't want to run in to any other weirdo issues, so I just used pins that looked to be bog standard pins.

But that code looks a lot more straight forward. My mindset isn't quite in the realm of clever bit manipulation, so that chunk of code doesn't come naturally to me.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Pins 0 and 1 are shared with serial, so if you are using serial functions you (effectively) can't use them for anything else. I typically stick to pins 8 to 13 until I run out since that way I only have to dick around with one port register and I don't have to worry about screwing up the serial connection.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

It would probably work for my purposes then. I would prefer that it's accurate, but I can probably work around that if I have to.

You can put a better tolerance 16mhz crystal on it. I've read about people also using a precision 32.768khz watch crystal. You could use a RTC. Or you could simply bench mark it over a day or so, and see how fast your board actually is, and have a calibration factor.

It depends a bit on what kind of accuracy you're going for.

DaveSauce posted:

I should probably mention that I'm a computer engineer by training, so all this stuff is not completely foreign to me. But, I work in industrial controls, so the programming languages I work with are very different (though the underlying concepts are the same). I've worked with C before, but the last time I did anything was about 5 years ago, and that was just maintenance of someone else's code. The last time I had to write C code was in college.

So I do understand 2's compliment, which is actually what I'm counting on. For my function timing logic, want to make a "run as fast as possible" condition (timer = 0), but I also want a "never run" condition (timer = max). I know that -1 is equal to all 1s in binary for a given variable size (i.e. int, long, etc.), so my logic would be much cleaner if I could just call "never run" -1 instead of loading 0xFFFF. There's no practical difference, in microseconds, between 0xFFFF and 0xFFFE for my purposes, so I'm more than willing to sacrifice 1us of timing to get cleaner code.

Again, I just can't remember all the details of C, so I didn't know if the compiler would flip out if I tried to load -1 in to an unsigned long.

It won't complain, but you might have to have some fun with type casting to get your desired behavior.

To me though, it seems less immediately obvious what would be going on while reading the code. So, excessively clever.

I'm not sure exactly how you're counting, but it sounds kind of like you're pulling the result off the internal microsecond counter. So another thing you might want to be concerned with is that on the 16mhz boards, micros() has a resolution of 4 uS. So the return will always be a multiple of 4.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Hadlock posted:

So I got one of those $10, 3 wheeled robot chassis off of ali express/ebay, am I just a huge baby for not soldering a wire to the leads on the motors, power switch and battery case? I soldered on 0.1" header pins to each of them to make it easier to plug a bunch of female to male jumper cables between them and a breadboard.
There's nothing at all wrong with making your stuff breadboard friendly. All of my project prototypes end up being ridiculously over-engineered, because I end up putting some sort of connector on drat near everything. I fully support the use of header pins/sockets in lieu of just soldering everything together.

As far as the free space on your shields - use it if it's convenient, or do something different if it's not. Totally up to you to decide what's going to work best. :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
code:
for (int i = YMIN; i < YMAX; i += 50){
    // Move servo
    yPos.writeMicroseconds(i); 

// Ping
    digitalWrite(2, HIGH);
    digitalWrite(3, LOW);
    delayMicroseconds(2);
    digitalWrite(3, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(5);
    digitalWrite(3, LOW);
    // Return ping
    duration = pulseIn(4, HIGH);

// Convert time to distance
    cm = microsecondsToCentimeters(duration);

// Print output
    Serial.print(i);
    Serial.print(" :: ");  
    Serial.print(cm);
    Serial.print("cm");
    Serial.println();

// Add to array
    yDefault[i] = cm;

delay(100); // Pause before moving the servo

}  // For loop
}
Why isn't this loop working when the Serial.print's are active? If I comment them out, it works perfectly fine. The program compiles and runs fine, but the servo doesn't actually do anything then (just sits there), and the serial monitor is empty. Commenting out the code causes everything to run normally.

The loop just moves a servo and then reads the distance from a distance sensor attached to it.

It may be power? It may be that it's trying to push too much data per run of the loop?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 31, 2015

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
If you can get the servo to run at all, then power isn't the issue. Did you remember to start the serial connection in your setup? As side notes, the arduino clock only reads down to 4 micro seconds, so I don't know how reliable those delays between writes are. Are they for some kind of ultrasonic sensor? I'd also be concerned about incrementing i in steps of 50 when it's being used as an array index. I don't know if the arduino allots space for the whole array, but it would be better to play it safe and increment i by one and have a second variable that's equal to (ymin + i*50), such as
code:
for (int i = 0, j = YMIN; j < YMAX; j += ++i*50)
Also it helps to post your whole code.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 31, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

If you can get the servo to run at all, then power isn't the issue. Did you remember to start the serial connection in your setup? As side notes, the arduino clock only reads down to 4 micro seconds, so I don't know how reliable those delays between writes are. Are they for some kind of ultrasonic sensor? I'd also be concerned about incrementing i in steps of 50 when it's being used as an array index. I don't know if the arduino allots space for the whole array, but it would be better to play it safe and increment i by one and have a second variable that's equal to (ymin + i*50), such as
code:
for (int i = 0, j = YMIN; j < YMAX; j += ++i*50)
Also it helps to post your whole code.

I thought it was just a problem with the loop, which is why I only posted it. It's actually a gigantic program (but under the sketch size limits).

I now believe that it's actually a memory problem due to my arrays. My array is 1000 int's currently, which to my understanding is greater than the Arduino's RAM. I know how to slim it down, but before I do, is there a way to figure out how much memory various arrays take and what the Arduino can handle?

So, if YMIN and YMAX represent the boundaries of my servo's movement. yrange is the difference between the two, and yDefault is an int array which holds all these data. Would my loop look like this then?

(stripped-down code for length))
C++ code:
const int YMIN = 1000;		// Lower boundary on servo movement
const int YMAX = 2000;		// Upper boundary on servo movement
const int INCREMENT = 50;	// Increments in which the servo moves
int yrange = YMAX - YMIN;	// Total unquantized range of motion
yDefault[???] = {0};          	// Array which stores sensor data

for(int i = 0; i < YMAX/INCREMENT; i++) {

servo.writeMicroseconds(i*INCREMENT+YMIN); // Move servo

(take measurements)

yDefault[i] = measurement;	// Put measured data into the array

delay(100);
}
Is this on the right track? How do I initialize my array then? YMAX / INCREMENT? Would it be easier to make a quantized measurement and use that for everything (yrange / INCREMENT)?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 31, 2015

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PRADA SLUT posted:

I thought it was just a problem with the loop, which is why I only posted it. It's actually a gigantic program (but under the sketch size limits).

I now believe that it's actually a memory problem due to my arrays. My array is 1000 int's currently, which to my understanding is greater than the Arduino's RAM. I know how to slim it down, but before I do, is there a way to figure out how much memory various arrays take and what the Arduino can handle?

So, if YMIN and YMAX represent the boundaries of my servo's movement. yrange is the difference between the two, and yDefault is an int array which holds all these data. Would my loop look like this then?

(stripped-down code for length))

Is this on the right track? How do I initialize my array then? YMAX / INCREMENT? Would it be easier to make a quantized measurement and use that for everything (yrange / INCREMENT)?

So the arduino has 2k of SRAM. This means all your variables have to be less than 2048 bytes. 1000 ints is 2000 bytes.

Never ever ever use sparse arrays on an arduino. Try not to use floating point math, either, if you can help it. If you want it fast, precompute all the possible values you can.

Historically you do all this stuff with #define to make it simpler since (presumably) none of this stuff changes. Saves some memory and can give some good optimization.

C++ code:
#define YMIN 1000
#define YMAX 2000
#define INCREMENT 50

#define TOTAL_NUM_STATES ((YMAX-YMIN)/INCREMENT)
int yrange = YMAX - YMIN;	// Total unquantized range of motion
int yDefault[TOTAL_NUM_STATES];          	// Array which stores sensor data
memset(yDefault,0,sizeof(int)*TOTAL_NUM_STATES);
for(int i = 0; i < TOTAL_NUM_STATES; i++) {

servo.writeMicroseconds(i*INCREMENT+YMIN); // Move servo

(take measurements)

yDefault[i] = measurement;	// Put measured data into the array

delay(100);
}
At some point, I'm a bit confused why you're not using servo.write() to just output an angle. Then your whole range fits in 0-180.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
I'm starting a project to create a small arduino robot, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm thinking of using a DUE, but I'm finding stuff all over the internet about how the code doesn't work for it. I'm going to need to stack motor shields, because my design has 3 relatively high-powered motors, but I've come across a few indicators that the DUE doesn't support stacking motor shields. Is this true? If so, can I switch to an Arduino Mega 2560 and get stacking support?

2. Is it possible to control an arduino through an umbilical cord attached to a laptop but power it off of a battery? I don't want the laptop to supply any power to the robot. Or does the umbilical cord need to be attached to a controller of some sort?

Globofglob fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 31, 2015

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Globofglob posted:

I'm starting a project to create a small arduino robot, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm thinking of using a DUE, but I'm finding stuff all over the internet about how the code doesn't work for it. I'm going to need to stack motor shields, because my design has 3 relatively high-powered motors, but I've come across a few indicators that the DUE doesn't support stacking motor shields. Is this true? If so, can I switch to an Arduino Mega 2560 and get stacking support?

2. Is it possible to control an arduino through an umbilical cord attached to a laptop but power it off of a battery/stop the laptop from providing battery power to it? Or does the umbilical cord need to be attached to a controller of some sort?

1.) It depends on why it's broken. Some motor shields can't be stacked at all, which wouldn't be the due's fault. Libraries for the stack able ones might use Port manipulation commands that would need to be changed for the due. If you're decent at programming, you could probably fix or write your own library. Link what you're thinking of using if you want further opinions.

2. If you plug high enough voltage into the barrel jack/Vin it will automatically block power from the usb port.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

PRADA SLUT posted:

code:
for(int i = 0; i < (YMAX-YMIN)/INCREMENT; i++){servo.writeMicroseconds(i*INCREMENT+YMIN); // Move servo
Minor fix. Personally I would initialize two variables in the for loop like in the example I posted as it cleans up the code inside the loop, but either way works.
If you know your ymax/ymin/inc at compile time then you should use the code the other guy posted (though the range could also be defined). If you don't know what they are or if they might vary, then you should compute the largest possible array and use that. Currently your code only needs 20 slots in the array.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 2, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I actually just started screwing around with the Adafruit motor shield v2.3 last night. It has a jumper that lets you power the Arduino off of the motor power supply, or off of Arduino internal power (i.e. USB umbilical cord). It supports a peak of 3A per shield which is a fair amount unless you're building an electric riding lawnmower, and stacks up to something like 32 high. I think they run about $19 shipped on ebay (which is cheaper than Adafruit direct).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Globofglob posted:

2. Is it possible to control an arduino through an umbilical cord attached to a laptop but power it off of a battery? I don't want the laptop to supply any power to the robot. Or does the umbilical cord need to be attached to a controller of some sort?

You could also use a separate motor controller that isn't a shield (these ones are pretty good), but it'll probably cost a bit more than the shields since you have 3 motors. You'd also need to write the code to send out serial motor speed commands, but that might be more straightforward than mucking around in someone else's code.