Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My favorite part of S1 was that Marito couldn't just 'man up' and fight in spite of his literally crippling ptsd, so the fact that he and the people around him recognized the problem and sought treatment instead of assigning blame was just great. The specifics of Marito's treatment were obviously nonsense, but that he received therapy at all is a good thing. He seems to be desensitized to his trauma, which allows him to function. The earth forces really do need him, though I'd say that Inko is probably the #1 combat veteran by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

S2 will be good if Inko, Yuki, Rayet, and Marito are able to be effective companions / combatants alongside Inaho.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nuru posted:

S2 will be good if Inko, Yuki, Rayet, and Marito are able to be effective companions / combatants alongside Inaho.

We already saw Inko bailing out Inaho and Rayet murdering the gently caress out of some Martians, so that's a thing that seems to be happening.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

nuru posted:

Unlikely as Inaho would have to incapacitated for the majority of S2.

@Marito's PTSD: Been there, done that. Wasting episodes on lack of improvement isn't realistic it's called: poor storytelling because my time is limited and why start character arcs that never seemed to be resolved? Interesting idea but please just leave him as as minor side character. Thanks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The whole point of that was that he has improved though?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah not seeing how you could have missed that. He didn't fully lock up and got poo poo done.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought they had dropped the PTSD deal with him entirely at first

If anything I wish they had spent some more time showing his transition from "unable to face an enemy" to "can function perfectly fine for 90% of the fight (the other 10% being when he would have otherwise passed out)," this was a pretty sudden and drastic change!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
During his first sortie in the first episode, Marito could kind of function as a pilot. From there, he just got progressively worse because he was exacerbating his trauma without getting treatment. If you ignore the fact that shock therapy doesn't really work, he had a year of treatment along with light combat duty. That's a pretty good use of a timeskip.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Marito was totally functional(albeit an alcoholic) in S1 up until they went to Tanegashima(the source of his original trauma) and had Magbaredge drop her loving idiot bombshell on him at the same time. Even at the end of S1 he was performing duties as the ship's kataphrakt commander/coordinator, and it's been nearly two years since the end of S1 during which he would have been coping and receiving regular treatment. Doesn't strike me as odd at all that he's functional again and the clearest indicator that he changed was being straight up offered booze and turning it down.

Alder posted:

Unlikely as Inaho would have to incapacitated for the majority of S2.

@Marito's PTSD: Been there, done that. Wasting episodes on lack of improvement isn't realistic it's called: poor storytelling because my time is limited and why start character arcs that never seemed to be resolved? Interesting idea but please just leave him as as minor side character. Thanks.

I'm not actually sure that we're watching the same show, since this episode's entire combat plan and success was Marito's and Inaho's only role was to be the one who happened to be in place to pull the trigger.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Kanos posted:

I'm not actually sure that we're watching the same show, since this episode's entire combat plan and success was Marito's and Inaho's only role was to be the one who happened to be in place to pull the trigger.
At least personally I am simply disappointed that the writers felt like he had to be included in that scene at all. Some of the negative stems from the fact that the whole thing could have been concluded without giving Inaho another minute or two more of screen time than the episode already had.

Edit: It just undercuts the climax of the episode entirely. All the tension in the scene just evaporates as soon as Deus Ex Machina opens its mouth. I am sure everyone got the points that this episode was about the supporting characters. Unfortunately the writers of the show managed to delute their point a bit.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 4, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

nuru posted:

But they mostly are.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

We've seen a single example for 3 of them. Give it time, it still might be the Inaho show.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kanos posted:

Although, it was Marito's plan which relied on Inaho and his new-found ability to hit the target...

I know he improved but I'm arguing there's too many characters for the cast and more likely than not they will have incomplete arcs which don't really add anything to the overall plot :sigh:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What characters even have an arc right now besides Inaho, Slaine, Marito, and the notprincess?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What characters even have an arc right now besides Inaho, Slaine, Marito, and the notprincess?

Rayet's still got some not-entirely-resolved issues, and Asseylum will likely have a fair amount of adjusting to do when she wakes up.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
There was so much foreshadowing this episode with little action. Perhaps to save and blow the budget on the next episode?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silvain posted:

There was so much foreshadowing this episode with little action. Perhaps to save and blow the budget on the next episode?

You mean set up? Which was foreshadowing out of curiosity?

Things that happened as I saw it:
-Inaho released the Count to investigate where the real Princess is.
-Rayet adjusting to her issues a little better.
-Inaho's stalker concerned with what he's doing releasing said Count.
-Douch and Maybe Douch challenging Slain to a duel.
-Slain talking about birds.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That Slaine Caged Birds monologue almost rivaled the Star Wars I Hate Sand monologue. This show is so wonderfully stupid :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In fairness, I... THINK Slaine is supposed to be creepy in that scene?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alder posted:

Although, it was Marito's plan which relied on Inaho and his new-found ability to hit the target...

I mean yeah, but this isn't really any different from Inaho relying on Inko to swing a shipping crate into Swordbot or Inaho relying on Inko to shoot the bridge out from under Shieldbot and Calm to find out where the barrier gap was or Inaho relying on Inko and his sister to shoot down rocket fists that would have otherwise killed him. Inaho is definitely ultra-competent but the other named pilots in the show are all really important.

Rodyle posted:

That's the vibe I got.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The entire second half of this episode felt budget as hell. Especially the hanger conversation where they kept cutting to still frames, feet, and a frame of DRAMATIC POINTING.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Rodyle posted:

It was definitely creepy.

I'm glad the count was actually taken hostage though, that was a perfect opportunity and I would have been very disappointed if it didn't go that route.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And now I'm considering the horrifying possibility that keeping Asseylum in an induced coma wasn't Saazbaum's idea.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yep, that scene was super creepy. Maaaaaaaybe Slaine's just a wee bit too obsessed with Seylum...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something is just really interesting about the art in this show. Everyone has these very noticeable half closed eyes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Good lord the fact that Inko ended up seeing them letting the count loose annoys me. Just reeks of stupid teen drama about to happen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inaho's going to come clean next episode and he's never getting thrown in the brig because Inaho is a total mary sue and mary sues can do whatever the gently caress they want without consequences from the only authorities that matter.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Inaho's going to come clean next episode and he's never getting thrown in the brig because Inaho is a total mary sue and mary sues can do whatever the gently caress they want without consequences from the only authorities that matter.

Nah, she'll choose to take matter into her own hands and shoot Inaho for betraying Earth. But the bullet will only go through Inaho's other eye, forcing the Earthlings to give him even more cybernetic bits.

Inaho will continue to be shot and rebuilt by various characters, and Slaine will continue to creep, until the final battle between RoboInaho and Slaine in a bird costume.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
What's going to happen is we'll get an Inko completely torn up about what to do, eventually confronting Inaho who ends up brushing her off, so she gets more torn up about it and brings it to the captain, who just goes "Inaho already cleared it with me". I reckon this'll take 15-20 minutes.

Edit: 2-3 minutes of Slaine's opponent taunting him and getting jobbed like a martian going up against Inaho will round out the episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

I mean... We already have the premise that the normal authority structure and procedure is barely able to handle the crisis; additionally its been shown that Inaho's plans more or less always work; and finally there isn't really a central Earth authority or High Command that can say diddly squat about it, either its the base commander or Calm who is at the moment the highest ranking officer and in either case if forced to explain himself his plan isn't unreasonable as the long term means of ending the war, and well, Calm's been shown to trust in his judgement.

I get that people want interesting three dimensional characters with character arcs and flaws and poo poo, but a lot of the time it bugs me that people use Mary Sue to pretty much refer to any character they think is 'too' awesome.

I guess the question to ask is, does Inaho act as a sort of 'black hole' that unnaturally bends the plot towards him away from any more established character? For a supposed Mary Sue the side characters arguably have way more character development and participate with a stronger presence in the plot than you'd think would be possible if he was one.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Inaho will continue to be shot and rebuilt by various characters, and Slaine will continue to creep, until the final battle between RoboInaho and Slaine dressed up as Asseylum
ftfy

I was really hoping that wheelchair princess was going to accept the Count's offer, just to stick it to Slaine for being a creepy weirdo.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Raenir Salazar posted:

You mean set up? Which was foreshadowing out of curiosity?

The doctor warning Inaho not to use his eye so much, so his brains are probably going to explode the last episode. Paraplegic princess is probably going to do something even more drastic than what she did this episode like maybe cutting off life support to the vegetable princess. Inko is gonna gently caress up Inaho's plan.

But yeah I probably meant set up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean... We already have the premise that the normal authority structure and procedure is barely able to handle the crisis; additionally its been shown that Inaho's plans more or less always work; and finally there isn't really a central Earth authority or High Command that can say diddly squat about it, either its the base commander or Calm who is at the moment the highest ranking officer and in either case if forced to explain himself his plan isn't unreasonable as the long term means of ending the war, and well, Calm's been shown to trust in his judgement.

I get that people want interesting three dimensional characters with character arcs and flaws and poo poo, but a lot of the time it bugs me that people use Mary Sue to pretty much refer to any character they think is 'too' awesome.

I guess the question to ask is, does Inaho act as a sort of 'black hole' that unnaturally bends the plot towards him away from any more established character? For a supposed Mary Sue the side characters arguably have way more character development and participate with a stronger presence in the plot than you'd think would be possible if he was one.

The fact that Inaho has a rather well-rounded skillset is fun to watch, but you have to concede that Inaho is indeed a total Mary Sue who distorts the EDF side. Remember, it's not just about pure power, but the social side. Everyone who matters in the EDF loves and respects Inaho, and there is no cool internal conflict. His decisions carry absolute weight, and the EDF's victory can only be carried out through him. Yes, he wins using the aid of other characters, but they could never do anything without him. Also, none of the EDF cast have any emotional gravitas. That roboeye is also setting Inaho up to be a martyr figure at the end.

There are plenty of similar stories with powerful characters, but they don't always form a Mary Sue. Lelouch fucks up repeatedly and bet everything on an insanely audacious plan, Eruelf as detested and mistrusted, and Hei is a smouldering emotional wreck who never gets what he wants.

So while Slaine flawed and constantly loving up, at least there is a personal struggle within him. That's why I enjoy watching him more than Inaho.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I like Inaho cause he's a rad real robot pilot taking down super robots and that's all I need to like a character. :colbert:

Also I could never agree with Inaho being a Mary Sue. He's clearly a Gary, c'mon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Inaho because I maintain that's he a mini-Chirico. :colbert:

Also he's not a robot, he gets emotions and poo poo, he's just bad at showing them. That was a plot point.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also he's not a robot, he gets emotions and poo poo, he's just bad at showing them. That was a plot point.

This here is probably my favorite thing going on. Well that and real robots beating up super robots. And Sawano.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sextro posted:

This here is probably my favorite thing going on. Well that and real robots beating up super robots. And Sawano.

Seriously, I am jonesing hard for the return of BRE@TH//LESS as the reunited Deucalion crew do their thing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Overlord K posted:

I like Inaho cause he's a rad real robot pilot taking down super robots and that's all I need to like a character. :colbert:

Also I could never agree with Inaho being a Mary Sue. He's clearly a Gary, c'mon.
He is just spamming spirit commands non stop while those Martians don't even know what to do when they run into an attack with barrier piercing effect.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I dunno, can we really call Inaho a Gary Stu when the entire second half is happening because of one massive gently caress-up on his part? If he hadn't shot down Slaine, Slaine wouldn't have begun to sympathize with Saazbaum, and episode 12 would have ended with Inaho killing Saazbaum and walking right out.

(admittedly if Slaine hadn't gone into full "HAND OVER THE PRINCESS TERRAN SCUM" mode Inaho probably wouldn't have shot him down, but it's Slaine)

It doesn't really matter how fast you can run if you trip and break both your legs right before the finish line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Lostconfused posted:

He is just spamming spirit commands non stop while those Martians don't even know what to do when they run into an attack with barrier piercing effect.

His ace bonus is automatically casting Scan on all enemies, what a waste of time.

The guy who challenged Slaine to a duel had some good (?) animation on his face in a couple of bits. I'd hope he knows what the Tharsis is capable of before challenging it to a duel which begs the question, what does his thing do that he thinks it can beat it?

• Locked thread