Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You can blow dry your birb, which is what we do when we actually shower him. He absolutely loves it. Also his cage is somewhat near the door so it's kind of a necessity during the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't get my birds to bathe in anything that's not their water dish. It's extra sad with the tiels because the dish is too small for them to get more than their feet wet :(

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Seeing Mindo made me curious. I've never gotten a good look at a baby toucan, so I looked it up.

Turns out (toco) toucan chicks look like bad movie props. Sound like them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWrVueL0Vc

I have a feeling aracari toucan chicks look a little less like muppets.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Mizuti posted:

Seeing Mindo made me curious. I've never gotten a good look at a baby toucan, so I looked it up.

Turns out (toco) toucan chicks look like bad movie props. Sound like them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWrVueL0Vc

I have a feeling aracari toucan chicks look a little less like muppets.

LOOK AT THEIR BIG STUPID FACES :3: :allears:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
They look like Muppets

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

This weeks Valentine Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Look at the reward for paying $35 or more.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What's the best way to scrub poop off concrete type perches? I don't mind sacrificing sponges and tossing after but they tear easily. Are the perches at all absorbent, is soap and water safe to use? Huxley has decided all his new places to sit are directly above another perch and I want to know I can pull that out regularly and scrub it down.

Baby comes home tomorrow! :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Dishwasher. It's what I do, at least.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Battle Pigeon posted:

This weeks Valentine Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Look at the reward for paying $35 or more.

This is amazing. Hatoful Boyfriend is a great send up of Japanese dating sims, if not a bit too on the nose at times.

subpar anachronism posted:

What's the best way to scrub poop off concrete type perches? I don't mind sacrificing sponges and tossing after but they tear easily. Are the perches at all absorbent, is soap and water safe to use? Huxley has decided all his new places to sit are directly above another perch and I want to know I can pull that out regularly and scrub it down.

Poopoff spray and a toothbrush or kitchen scrubber in my experience.

Grraarrgghh fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 13, 2015

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks, I don't have a dishwasher so it'll have to be this one!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Many times I'm at my desk my chin is propped up in the palm of my hand. Amadeus has lately decided that two-thirds of the palm of my hand should be his instead.

He stays there for a very long time.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Many times I'm at my desk my chin is propped up in the palm of my hand. Amadeus has lately decided that two-thirds of the palm of my hand should be his instead.

"hello? hello? is anyone there?" stupid phone doesn't work

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I hate that your dumb bird is this adorable.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Goddamn it your bird is so cute he makes me angry.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Seriously mine just bites my fingertips when I try to hold her like that.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Leeloo will let me but she just lays there with her little feet in the air all "ok, you did it. Is this making you happy?" Bird has no concept of snuggle unless you have long hair (deal with it bird, never again)

Edit: I know it's time to get a trim when she gets all happy and starts rubbing along the back of my neck under the hair like a cat.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

there's so much fluff i can't even tell where his face is

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF:

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We do this with our birds, put them up to our ear and say things like "hello yes, this is bird" in reference to this meme:

We also hold them that same way and press their heads down slightly with one finger and say "spritz, spritz" while doing it, like they are mini spray bottles. Neither of us have any idea where that came from but it is hilarious every time.

Opera Bitch fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 14, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So our female lovebird died today. The male is just despondent and clearly doesn't know what to make of it. I feel so bad for him; they've been together for years now and would just spend all their time close together. Any time we would come near their cage the female would go inside their nest-house and the male would sort of stand guard outside. I don't know if we should try and get him another mate or not.

For some background, we originally got the male by himself. Apparently he had previously had a mate, but the mate was sold without him, leaving him alone. He was extremely irritable all the time (would bite if you got near him) and would just spend all his time masturbating all over the cage (not joking). But once we got the female he cheered up a bunch and stopped being so belligerent/irritable.

:(

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Sorry to hear about your loss Ytaly, it's always hard. :(

A little happier news over here though: today mr. anachronism and I brought home baby! Who still has not received a name, mostly because there are so many good options and I'm having trouble picking.

Baby investigates the top of Huxley's cage:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

What an adorable baby boodge :3:

And I'm sorry for your loss, Ytlaya. :( It's always especially hard when you can tell your surviving bird is grieving.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the budgies have been eating the paper I gave them to shred. :stare: Are they going to be okay? They haven't been eating much of it.

I removed the roll of paper from the cage and gave them something safer to chew on, but I'm worried the paper they already ate is going to cause intestinal blockages or something.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

chthonic bell posted:

I think the budgies have been eating the paper I gave them to shred. :stare: Are they going to be okay? They haven't been eating much of it.

I removed the roll of paper from the cage and gave them something safer to chew on, but I'm worried the paper they already ate is going to cause intestinal blockages or something.

I kept 5 Cockatiels and all of them chew paper for fun, seems they love to make noises with the chewing but not swallowing any. btw they really loves to tear things up :ohdearsass:

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Tissue paper and ice cream cones are like bird-nip.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Seriously seconding the ice cream cones. I make my own sometimes and threw one into Fuji's cage just for funsies, and he loving wrecked it. He didn't eat any of it, but goddamn did he tear it up.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Kasonic posted:

Tissue paper and ice cream cones are like bird-nip.

tissue paper is too soft and become sticky while wet. standard warping paper and package boxes seems fine to me thru.

seriously never think of ice-cream cones, 10/10 will give it a try

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

give them cereal boxes they will go inside the boxes

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My cockatiel is so cool he has TWO crests. What a stud

Dreggon posted:

how about a tube of kitchen roll

apparently it was acceptable

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

how about a tube of kitchen roll

Hahaha I know that posture :allears:

WHAT IS THIS I AM VERY TALL AND SCARY LET ME CHECK THIS OUT IT COULD BE DANGEROUS BUT I GOT THIS

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Dreggon posted:

I have that, and they keep wrecking them one after another :goshawk:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hahaha I know that posture :allears:

WHAT IS THIS I AM VERY TALL AND SCARY LET ME CHECK THIS OUT IT COULD BE DANGEROUS BUT I GOT THIS

He does this weird twitching motion with his head too, like he suddenly gets a physical tic or something, dunno if that's usual. Only when he's unsure of something (like the camera here) though-he just does some side to side swaying when he's pretending to be big and badass

Ohtori on the other hand does look intimidating in Badass Blue-throat Mode and it's hilarious

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
I thought you guys with budgies that haven't been tamed yet might like to see a little bit of one who used to be totally terrified of people. It just takes time, and millet. Lots of millet.

Apologies for the middle of this video, he dropped the bell and I had to reach way back behind the desk. Also yeah, the bird is named Skrillex, that was maybe not the best choice of name tbh. He likes dubstep :derptiel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMycCXG-BGM

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

He does this weird twitching motion with his head too, like he suddenly gets a physical tic or something, dunno if that's usual. Only when he's unsure of something (like the camera here) though-he just does some side to side swaying when he's pretending to be big and badass

Nah, that is normal bird stuff. I feel like it's their way of saying, "WHA-WHA-WHAAAT!?!"

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tadhg Dall posted:

I thought you guys with budgies that haven't been tamed yet might like to see a little bit of one who used to be totally terrified of people. It just takes time, and millet. Lots of millet.

Apologies for the middle of this video, he dropped the bell and I had to reach way back behind the desk. Also yeah, the bird is named Skrillex, that was maybe not the best choice of name tbh. He likes dubstep :derptiel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMycCXG-BGM

This is the cutest! :kimchi: Do they get along well together? I'd be worried about the little guy getting hurt.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This is just so... Perfect.

Also in honour of Shrove Tuesday I made Pookie her own little pancake, at first she was doubtful but when she actually tried it she went all eye-pinny and basically inhaled the rest of it in one beakful.

Nom nom nom. Also yay for spring, she's now convinced that the paper tray in the printer is the best nest site and is attempting to dig her way in.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 18, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Anyone remember that artwork I did of a cockatiel in a suit and top hat? I was thinking of doing some other species, but would like some photos to draw from. I have a few from zoo trips, and can look for suitable stock photos, but if anyone wants to post some that I can freely use that would be super great and convenient too.

I may also one day in the far future make them available as prints. Maybe.

Disclaimer: might get distracted by other projects instead/take forever/forget

Eejit posted:

Nah, that is normal bird stuff. I feel like it's their way of saying, "WHA-WHA-WHAAAT!?!"

I've never seen Ohtori or Steve do it-but then the former is fearless about everything, and the latter simply oblivous :derptiel:

Pookah posted:

Nom nom nom. Also yay for spring, she's now convinced that the paper tray in the printer is the best nest site and is attempting to dig her way in.

Shiiiiiit that's adorable. Your little dinosaur likes it so much she gives no fucks about you or the camera. :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
African Greys scare me. I'm afraid they'll just decide they don't like my earrings and bite my ears off or gouge my eyes out or something. The shelter where we occasionally volunteer is hand-raising an African Grey. (The owner said "Come get this egg or we're throwing it at a tree.") She's very gentle. Playing with is still like having someone very gently squeeze your fingers with pliers, so, still scary.

My wife wants Greys; meanwhile there are two perfectly adorable conures just sitting around cuddling. Why would we want Greys.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Greys are beautiful, incredible animals but after adopting Amadeus I'm a conure girl for life. :3: He's so openly affectionate and curious and loyal, and also when he gets into FIERCE PROTECTOR mode I don't have to worry about losing a chunk of flesh.

Pigeon, here's a birbface closeup from a while ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Thanks! Do you have it in a higher resolution? I can make up the little details, but it's always more useful to have the real thing if possible.

Also, profile images are probably best, or more stood up (front or side)-easier to put a little suit on them. :v: