Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Man, this season's OP is so dull. It's a good thing episodes don't start with it, or it'd be difficult to get excited.

I've kind of started liking it but its nowhere near as good as the first OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day, Slaine!

So, odds that Substitute Princess unknowingly turned off whatever system Slaine was using to keep Asseylum asleep when she was pushing buttons?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

Happy Valentine's Day, Slaine!

So, odds that Substitute Princess unknowingly turned off whatever system Slaine was using to keep Asseylum asleep when she was pushing buttons?

I hope this is the case. I'd like Slaine a lot more if he decided he now cares more about his ambition than his princess. It'd make sense given his history, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I hope this is the case. I'd like Slaine a lot more if he decided he now cares more about his ambition than his princess. It'd make sense given his history, too.

Everything depends on his reaction to this. It'd also be great because it offers an opportunity for Eddelrittuo to go all :black101: again.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Or he's keeping the princess under while he takes care of all the dirty work. But that seems less likely after the announcement of the formation of the Union of Slaine's Space Robots.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

You know full well when she gets out it will just be 5 eps of

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

After wheelchair girl's "I don't mind if you use me while thinking about my princess sister" :stare: speech, I knew this episode would be something special. Did not disappoint.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

After wheelchair girl's "I don't mind if you use me while thinking about my princess sister" :stare: speech, I knew this episode would be something special. Did not disappoint.

Indeed. I do envy Slaine's speaking skills though.

The main problem is wait a minute isn't everyone 14-16 years old again? If they aged them up to at least late teens then the weird marriage thing would be more plausible than :aaaaa:

Also, does no one in the show understand love at all? I fail to see how obsessing over a person meant you really, really liked them in the first place. Slaine is just grasping at anyone who doesn't completely hate him due to his Terran heritage atm.

As for Inaho I feel like he is more insightful with that killer conversation there with Inko. We know you are now half-robot but at least you gained a of empathy along the way

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well there's another point on the list of reasons why Slaine is an absolute creeper :stonk:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
It always surprised me a little that Slaine trusted Lemrina with access to Seylum, but it was nice seeing that Lemrina just wasn't cold enough to go through with it. I rather like Lemrina as a character, though how she'll end up remains to be seen.

It's not certain, but the stinger points a bit towards Seylum's coma being induced. You could read it as Lemrina restarting parts of the life support system, which would remove whatever covert tampering had been done by Slaine or Saazbaum.

e: This would also play into the "there are no miracles" theme, where her waking up isn't miraculous.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Man, this season's OP is so dull. It's a good thing episodes don't start with it, or it'd be difficult to get excited.

I actually like this season's OP, but it isn't as good as the first one.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like, Slaine's sub-plot is now like a million times more interesting than what-his-name and his magical eye (which now also has telescopic powers, because yeah) now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

trucutru posted:

Like, Slaine's sub-plot is now like a million times more interesting than what-his-name and his magical eye (which now also has telescopic powers, because yeah) now.

It is ridiculous and beautiful that he could watch a fight between things a few dozen yards tall from 240,000 miles away closely enough to tell what was going on with just his magic eye.

Really, that spoiler works for just about anything: "It is ridiculous that he could <anything you care to name that he's done here> with just his magic eye."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My headcanon is that they spliced Aldnoah technology into his robot eye.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I figured inaho just hijacked an observation satellite and pointed its cameras at the enemy base.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

trucutru posted:

Well, that's because there's actually a plot going on up in orbit. The Terran Cleanup Party is mostly just chumping super robots while Inaho only made a single move in the intrigues by freeing that one POW, and that was mostly just setup. There's intrigue and conflict between characters and it's all happening on Slaine's end.

So, basically, you're absolutely right and I'm disappointed by that. Because I'm not actually all that interested in Vers politics and scheming compared to the macro-setting issue of the planetary war. Inaho doesn't even have as much visible strategic presence as, say, Amuro in Gundam because he hasn't developed a wide-ranging reputation among the Martians. Only Saazbaum and Slaine realized he was a threat (the threat) and one of them's dead. So there's little opportunity for Inaho to find himself embroiled in the plots in orbit and his incognito profile among the Vers forces means he's not targeted or reacted to in the way you'd think an Ace of his threat level would warrant. Especially considering the writers chose to designate him as the lone Terran pivotal or at least vital to every successful Knight kill we've seen, even when they didn't really need to.

Hell, you don't even see Martians asking themselves what keeps happening to these nobles and why hasn't anybody heard from them anymore.

Plotwise, it almost feels like the Invasion of Earth is an afterthought.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

For the Vers dudes the invasion of Earth is an afterthought, in universe

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sextro posted:

I figured inaho just hijacked an observation satellite and pointed its cameras at the enemy base.

Actually, I assumed he was just monologuing (it's what MCs do best) and it was a whacky coincidence that Slaine happened to be in the midst of the duel. I mean who knows what space time it is anyways vs Earth time too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alder posted:

Actually, I assumed he was just monologuing (it's what MCs do best) and it was a whacky coincidence that Slaine happened to be in the midst of the duel. I mean who knows what space time it is anyways vs Earth time too.

The 'It's stopped now' right when the duel ended put paid to that idea, though.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alder posted:

Infidel! you're doubting the powers of the eye!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also assume he just hijacked a comm relay or something.

trucutru posted:

Infidel! you're doubting the powers of the eye!

I! Tanaka Gundham! Will be your opponent!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

For the Vers dudes the invasion of Earth is an afterthought, in universe

Tell me about it. :smugjones:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
This show gets more Battletech every episode.

Superior factions with advanced tech decides to assault a more numerous and unified force for resources. Que inter-faction fighting and adaption of advanced technologies.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And like Battletech it's space royal soap operas all the way down.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
It's been a fair while since physics but here goes so from my dodgy memory and a bit of googling, but assuming the debris is in a similar orbit as the moon, a resolution of about 1m (putting the guestimated 10m mechs as a small pixel-blob), and a hubble-like setup, his eye would need the equivalent of of 430m diameter mirror to get that level of magnification. Could be way off though.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I still argue that this show would be better without inaho. Or with less of his influence on everything. The ties to the princess the earth forces have, the solving problems, everything, could have all been written as a group concerted effort. It would make the varied and interesting earth cast MUCH more interesting if they could accomplish ANYTHING without inaho.

At this point i kind of feel that all anyone on vers has to do is kill Inaho, and earth will surrender without his competance to further everything they do.

People complain about Slaine being a fuckup, but earth's forces cant even seem to tie their shoes without Inaho coming up with a better way to do it for them. It really undermines any accomplishment they DO make.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Talkc posted:

At this point i kind of feel that all anyone on vers has to do is kill Inaho, and earth will surrender without his competance to further everything they do.
Truly the General Revil of this anime.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
Also i really like how twisted Slaine is, being a product of the society he is in.

Dude has been spit on, slapped, imprisoned, had his life threatened, and been tortured within an INCH of his life. All on a regular basis.

Does Slaine know what love is? Not as we know it no. He only understands that Hime-sama didn't outright hate him, and therefore she is the only light he has.

He had no friends. No allies. Nothing. He had Asseylum. Imagine most of your formative years as a person spent like that.

End product = Twisted. And that is PERFECT for his character, and the circumstances he is written into.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Talkc posted:

I still argue that this show would be better without inaho. Or with less of his influence on everything. The ties to the princess the earth forces have, the solving problems, everything, could have all been written as a group concerted effort. It would make the varied and interesting earth cast MUCH more interesting if they could accomplish ANYTHING without inaho.

People complain about Slaine being a fuckup, but earth's forces cant even seem to tie their shoes without Inaho coming up with a better way to do it for them. It really undermines any accomplishment they DO make.

There was the 19 month period where Earth actually made gains against the invasion while Inaho was in a coma/eye implantation surgery/not in active duty. There was also the last battle where Inaho had effectively nothing to do with the enemy's actual defeat besides telling someone to use tracer rounds, since his target spotting was cut off. Yuki won the victory by keeping the target still.

Nobody on the Deucalion besides Inaho has any reason to even suspect that the Princess isn't real and nobody else knows that Slaine even exists, so without Inaho there's no link between the two factions at all.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Kanos posted:

There was the 19 month period where Earth actually made gains against the invasion while Inaho was in a coma/eye implantation surgery/not in active duty. There was also the last battle where Inaho had effectively nothing to do with the enemy's actual defeat besides telling someone to use tracer rounds, since his target spotting was cut off. Yuki won the victory by keeping the target still.

Nobody on the Deucalion besides Inaho has any reason to even suspect that the Princess isn't real and nobody else knows that Slaine even exists, so without Inaho there's no link between the two factions at all.

I know that. As i said it could have all been written better if some of the elements of the story were spread around to other characters. Inaho is irrevocably the center of the story. I wish that hadn't been the case.

It feels like en ensemble cast like this is wasted when everything they do ( as actually shown on screen ) is trumped by one character solving the lion's share of the problems.

And inaho WAS the entire plan last episode. Sure others fired the tracer rounds and kept the robot distracted, but it was his call on the tracers. Hell when someone DID act outside of his control ( his sister ) he loving chides her for it. Hell, they never said who's plan the whole thing was but id bet money that it was Inaho's. When it comes to people actually doing things on screen, even when taking on the tornado bot, when they call for help, its god drat inaho who answers. While its implied that they solve problems and make grounds, its not portrayed that way on screen.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Kanos posted:

He was spotting for the Deucalion and relaying corrections through the drones. The tracer rounds were just a backup, probably one that wouldn't have worked if the guy hadn't started monologuing. Granted, he shouldn't have been necessary for that, the drones should have been more than enough on their own.

It would have been nice to show a quick montage, if nothing else, of Earth holding its own against second-rate counts and their underlings, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shanakin posted:

It's been a fair while since physics but here goes so from my dodgy memory and a bit of googling, but assuming the debris is in a similar orbit as the moon, a resolution of about 1m (putting the guestimated 10m mechs as a small pixel-blob), and a hubble-like setup, his eye would need the equivalent of of 430m diameter mirror to get that level of magnification. Could be way off though.
Does it change at all if what he's looking for are the flashes of light that the fight generates, rather than the physical forms of the mechs?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Maybe but they'd have to be really, bright to outshine the sunlight reflections from the debris field.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also it wouldn't be any less stupid.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shanakin posted:

Maybe but they'd have to be really, bright to outshine the sunlight reflections from the debris field.

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. You can see a shoe boxed sized object as far out as Jupiter so long as it had the heat signature of a candle. So as long as it was just heat signatures he was looking at and knew which direction to look its certainly plausible.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah but that's not against a bright background, like the moon chunks reflecting sunlight. I could be wrong though, I'm not exactly an expert on this.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 17, 2015

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. You can see a shoe boxed sized object as far out as Jupiter so long as it had the heat signature of a candle. So as long as it was just heat signatures he was looking at and knew which direction to look its certainly plausible.

He might have been able to see a point light source, but with a 2cm max detector he wouldn't be able to discern details smaller than several kilometers, regardless of how much resolution he has, because of the way optics works. Hubble can't resolve the Apollo landing sites from orbit, with gigantic mirrors.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Given all the poo poo in orbit he was probably seeing all those beams hitting rocks or lighting up the dust, plus all the explosions and poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

Does it change at all if what he's looking for are the flashes of light that the fight generates, rather than the physical forms of the mechs?

He could probably knew who was fighting by looking at their faces. with his x-ray vision

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 17, 2015

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
He has a cyborg eye people, they've apparently figured out how to merge electronics and software with flesh including his mind being able to cope with the calculation engine.

A superscope is the least unbelievable poo poo in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

He has a cyborg eye people, they've apparently figured out how to merge electronics and software with flesh including his mind being able to cope with the calculation engine.

A superscope is the least unbelievable poo poo in this show.

Well, sort of. They've made it clear that there's a non-zero chance it'll eat his brain.

Slaine might manage to kill another main character yet.

• Locked thread