Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

It is about as "updated" as not at all. It's like most vKas, really neat design but not entirely thought out; as Taurus will no doubt inform you, it is completely incapable of posing with its gun unless you glue it solid.

Not only that, but the shoulder can't support the weight of the Buster Rifle. You can make it work if you reverse the shoulder joint so the arm is stuck at a 90 degree bend.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't think I "get" the Tallgeese. Maybe it's because I've not seen Wing, but it seems pretty straight-forward, I don't see the hook of the thing.

It's the prototype for Wing Zero. Nuff said. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finished my Zock. :woop: It is big, heavy, and awesome.

Now, I am starting on my Clear Juaggu. When working with these clear parts, do any of you do panel lining? I'm not sure if I should or not. The pictures on the box look fine without any lining.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Well that was fun.

I'll snap some pictures with less glare (and with LEDs!) later.

Here's an album link: http://imgur.com/a/iU3a4

Sorry for lovely cellphone camera. There are three more blue LED thrusters in the center of the back, but they're a pain in the rear end to turn on with the stabilizer wings in place, so I left them off.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My god that is huge. I don't think that would even fit in my display case.
Now I'm wondering if anyone was crazy enough to pre-order the 1/100 Ex-S Deep Striker.

Also I cracked and picked up a bootleg MG IWSP Strike. I got it for like $25 with shipping (compared to $55 before shipping on Amazon) so it was just too good of a deal to pass up. This will actually be my first ever bootleg of an actual Bandai kit (I got the Hi Nu Gundoom which was... interesting, shall we say), so I'm kind of curious to see what it'll be like.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

My god that is huge. I don't think that would even fit in my display case.
Now I'm wondering if anyone was crazy enough to pre-order the 1/100 Ex-S Deep Striker.

Also I cracked and picked up a bootleg MG IWSP Strike. I got it for like $25 with shipping (compared to $55 before shipping on Amazon) so it was just too good of a deal to pass up. This will actually be my first ever bootleg of an actual Bandai kit (I got the Hi Nu Gundoom which was... interesting, shall we say), so I'm kind of curious to see what it'll be like.

I've got the Deep Striker pre-ordered too. At least I've got time to figure something out as far as displaying these before that ships at the end of the year.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

How's the balance on that, anyways? I imagine articulation is pretty great since the Xi is actually kind of bland outside of the crazy shoulders, but I notice you have it standing in a really doofy salute. Can it just not handle anything else?

Also can it fit on an action base, or do you need a special stand?

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Balance is kinda rough. The wing stabilizers can rotate to be pointed straight down through straight back, so you can offset a lot of it. They're long enough to touch the ground when you point them down, so you can use them to brace it for stupid poses.

Unfortunately, the shoulders cut down on the range of motion on the arms. I can get them pointing forward, but I have to pop the shoulder armor off, position the arm, and then put the armor back on to do so. The armor's on hinges and should be able to flip out of the way, but I had it pop off when I tried that and don't want to break anything. I could glue it down, but I'm trying to avoid that.

On the other hand, hip and leg articulation are great, the thing can almost do a split. The legs themselves have 4 polycap joins in them, so they're pretty flexible. Unless I lift it, I keep popping the front of the foot off when trying to bend the knees though. The torso and head can also independently pitch forward and back, and the torso can spin a full 360. The head can look left/right, but the stabilizer wings keep it to about a 30 degree limit on the rotation.

I tried to get it to hold weapons, but the hands aren't strong enough to grip them. I might try it with the plastic beam sabers instead of the metal ones, they're a lot lighter than the metal ones. The rifle and the shield are pretty heavy too.

I'm looking into a stand. It looks like it can fit on an Action Base, but considering how heavy the thing is, I dunno how well that will hold it. I don't have one handy to check, unfortunately.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There is no way an action base will hold it. Both in terms of weight and in terms of having something grip its intense groinal girth.

I can totally get it to hold the weapons though. The rifle it holds just fine but the shield is SO HEAVY that I have to prop it up where I have it displayed because otherwise the arm joint droops painfully low, making it look depressed rather than strong. I like the little spring in the crotch area that gives it a pseudo ab crunch which is nice, but I am absolutely terrified of posing this thing in any manner other than standing straight up and looking off into the distance. There are parts that, even when the thing is as sealed and glued as mine is that feel loose and like they'll fly off at any minute.

Also, no panel lining? :stonk: You should totally line it up man, it looks amazing fully panel lined. (I'll get to decals eventually honest)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of curiosity, why does the Hi-Nu VRABE's shield have a set of big-rear end thrusters on one end? It doesn't seem to have an MA/Bird mode. Also surprised they aren't pushing the VRABE Booster out as an HGBC item on its own.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Those are just cannons, like the HWS.

EDIT: Wait, no, I mean those are for when it mounts the shield on the back, like the Armed Armor DE.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

I know I need to go back and detail it. I didn't have a gray lining marker handy, and black's a bit too much overkill on all the white panels. I got into a weird funk this weekend and just wanted the thing built.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Welp, I think I just wrecked the red frame astray that I've been working on for months. In the home stretch. Fun fact, Testors Glosscote can seriously make enamel washes cloudy as gently caress. Just gonna let it cure and snap it together. I've done all I can and need no move on to other kits.

Edit: I normally use Mr Topcoat but my lhs was out.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 16, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I haven't posted WIP pics in a while, so here.

I've been pretty busy with school and my gunpla club lately, so I haven't had much time to work on kits.

For a while I was slowly working on converting my 1/100 X Divider's backpack to work with my MG GX (which is actually pretty easy if you have one of the adaptors from the MG BF line). I grabbed some 1/100 metal vulcans too, since I lost my GX's bottom two somehow. It'll take some effort to properly install them, but for now I just dumped the barrels in.

Helping one of my club members track down a 1/100 Kyrios put me in an 00 mood, so I spent some time working on my MG 00Q. Like I mentioned a while back, I absolutely despise the shoulder shield so I've been working on trying to mount it to the arm instead. Since the 00Q comes with Exia's polycaps it's pretty easy to use the Exia's shield mount (and the Exia RII technically doesn't have a shield so I don't care about losing it), but the harder part is actually attaching it to the arm. The 00Q's frame is based on the Exia's so it has a slot for it, but the arm armor gets in the way and the shield itself is too heavy for mere friction to hold it up. Magnets didn't work either, so I moved all the way up to a brass rod.

At the moment I'm trying to putty in the hole around the polycap, so it looks pretty ugly. You can barely see it with the plug in though, so I'm wondering if I should bother trying to level it out.

The main thing I'm working on now is my resin GP-03 though. While I appreciate how much effort Coreworks put into this kit, sawing off all the pour tabs and filling in all the imperfections is a total pain in the rear end.

Just for fun, here you can see varying levels of parts separation. The GP-01 fb(+) is a Super G recast of one of Coreworks' earlier outputs, the GP-02 head is from... I actually have no idea, and as mentioned before the GP-03 is from Coreworks' UC Project.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TaurusOxford posted:

Not only that, but the shoulder can't support the weight of the Buster Rifle. You can make it work if you reverse the shoulder joint so the arm is stuck at a 90 degree bend.

Hm, if the weight distribution is that bad, I might just get regular MG Wing then.

Or just get MG Wing EW, and just use one of it's beam swords instead of the rifle.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 16, 2015

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
what the actual gently caress, the pharmacy here sells gundams

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

e: this is australia btw, making it all the more bizarre

ScottyWired fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 16, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hahahaha oh my god that is so random.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ScottyWired posted:

:wtc:. Whereabouts is that?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ScottyWired posted:

Did

did you buy one?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
If CVS started selling gunpla I'd be real tempted to start filling there.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I got my first mecha kit at an office supplies store.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ScottyWired posted:

Take two Gunpla and call me in a month.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TARDISman posted:

Take two Gunpla and call me in a month.

Don't pharmacies help people OFF addictions?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Don't pharmacies help people OFF addictions?

It's a little like giving methadone to people on heroin, trading one addiction for another.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

CaptainRat posted:

It's a little like giving methadone to people on heroin, trading one addiction for another.

It's why they're over the counter instead of off the shelf.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I really don't think I'm gonna be ordering from Gentei Kits ever again. My Tallgeese III has yet to be seen, heard from, and my e-mails to their support have been ignored.

Better yet, Paypal doesn't seem to let me contest the transaction, since it was a good five months ago by now. Guess I got screwed?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's probably because he sent out this e-mail a while back in his newsletter:

quote:

Now a note on January's orders. I grossly underestimated the size of the FA Expansion (it is the size of a PG!). I had to purchase all new boxes so there will be a slight delay. I am working hard packing up the Tallgeeses and getting them out so please be patient. This month was crazy because the FA and Tallgeese came together and they are both really popular.

When your order reaches "Packed and Ready" it means I have recorded your tracking number and your item will go out that night or the next day.

EDIT: For reference this was sent January 23rd.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 16, 2015

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I will say that Gentei was very communicative with me when the dude moved and Bandai closed his account and canceled all his pending orders, and when I had an issue with a coupon code I heard back within 24 hours (don't forget the time difference).

I expect the big issue is what BlitzBlast posted. If he's not even answering emails, he's probably swamped.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I've given him a good day to answer the two I sent, so here's hoping he is just swamped.

That newsletter thing makes me feel infinitely better though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was thinking of getting a HG RX-78 and Zaku (or Gelgoog). What are the good, recent kits for those, if any?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The RX-78-2 was lucky enough to get a second HG, look for the G30th version. Zaku II is more complicated, but the most recent mold of the classic design is Johnny Ridden's Zaku II High Mobility. There's a HG coming out of the Origin redesign, and that's looking neat too. The both of them also have Thunderbolt versions, which are great but super silly.

As for the Gelgoog? You're out of luck, they never made a new mold as far as I know. Just grab any.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On closer inspection, it looks like everything showed up in the 2007 HGUC line. That decent?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I went ahead and bought the 1/100 Hardygun and G-Cannon Magna and I'm gonna paint the gently caress outta them. I'd even like to prime them, since that's how you make the paints gooder. Is there a variety of spray primer that would work well with Mr. Color paints? I'm talking rattle cans here; I don't have the space, time, or money to set up an airbrush with booth and such; I'm just going to do it on some newspapers out back when it warms up a bit.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

The main thing I'm working on now is my resin GP-03 though. While I appreciate how much effort Coreworks put into this kit, sawing off all the pour tabs and filling in all the imperfections is a total pain in the rear end.

Do you have some more info about this? GP-03S is one of my favorite suit designs and it's kind of a bummer that the MG and HG are both pretty dated. I know nothing about resin kits.

Unrelated; is there any Wing Zero Custom kit besides the PG that has white hands? Everything I've seen has the standard gray fingers with the white bit on the back of the hand. Even the RG. I guess I don't really get why it wouldn't have white hands like the official artwork, clips from EW, etc.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's a conversion kit for the RX-78-2 2.0 frame.

The Muffinlord posted:

So I went ahead and bought the 1/100 Hardygun and G-Cannon Magna and I'm gonna paint the gently caress outta them. I'd even like to prime them, since that's how you make the paints gooder. Is there a variety of spray primer that would work well with Mr. Color paints? I'm talking rattle cans here; I don't have the space, time, or money to set up an airbrush with booth and such; I'm just going to do it on some newspapers out back when it warms up a bit.

You can never go wrong with Tamiya's primer.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Muffinlord posted:

Tamiya primer is the gold standard, as mentioned by Blitzblast, but it's a bit pricy.

A good alternative for plastic models generally is to use some of the nicer auto primers, but 3M makes an excellent grey primer that they have stopped selling in Australia for reasons, but you can probably get it if you're a yank and it is a lot cheaper - I think it is literally half the price for 95% of the quality of the Tamiya primer. I use this for anything that isn't going to end up being white (I use Tamiya white primer for white because otherwise painting things white sucks).

Mr Color has their own confusingly named line of primers and surfacers that have very good reviews as well but I have never used them.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 16, 2015

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Tamiya primer is the gold standard, as mentioned by Blitzblast, but it's a bit pricy.

A good alternative for plastic models generally is to use some of the nicer auto primers, but 3M makes an excellent grey primer that they have stopped selling in Australia for reasons, but you can probably get it if you're a yank and it is a lot cheaper - I think it is literally half the price for 95% of the quality of the Tamiya primer. I use this for anything that isn't going to end up being white (I use Tamiya white primer for white because otherwise painting things white sucks).

Mr Color has their own confusingly named line of primers and surfacers that have very good reviews as well but I have never used them.

Okay, good to know. I gotta get that, and some of those alligator clippy guys on the sticks, and a couple foam blocks, and I'll be set. Now if it can just stay above freezing for a few days...

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

Okay, good to know. I gotta get that, and some of those alligator clippy guys on the sticks, and a couple foam blocks, and I'll be set. Now if it can just stay above freezing for a few days...

Mr. Surfacer comes in a spray can, but it will run you even more than Tamiya in that form for not really any gain. The non-canned variety is spectacular for airbrushing and I swear by it, but it's not worth it to buy it in spray can form. I know some folks who do massive resin kits also really like Rustoleum primer. I've not used it myself, however.

For alligator clips on sticks, you can get a big ol' pack of alligator clips for cheap from online or an electronics store and some wooden barbecue sticks in bags of 100 for around $1 from pretty much any grocery. Wrap some electrical tape around the non-pointy end of the stick so that the alligator clip slots in nicely, and boom--cheap clip sticks. I trim my sticks down so they're not as long, and the pieces I trim off also double as really great stirring sticks.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
DupliColor seems to be a popular budget primer choice for some people but I have never been able to get good results with any variety of it. Tamiya or go home in my book, it's more than worth the extra money.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

You can buy alligator clips from an electronics supply house (or raid a Radio Shack that's going out of business) and glue/putty them to shishkebab skewers for cheap clips.

edit

Suzaku posted:

For alligator clips on sticks, you can get a big ol' pack of alligator clips for cheap from online or an electronics store and some wooden barbecue sticks in bags of 100 for around $1 from pretty much any grocery. Wrap some electrical tape around the non-pointy end of the stick so that the alligator clip slots in nicely, and boom--cheap clip sticks. I trim my sticks down so they're not as long, and the pieces I trim off also double as really great stirring sticks.

:hfive:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So the MG Dark Matter does indeed come with a pilot figure. The Meijin, replete with over-dramatic coat, dorky scarf, and mind-control sunglasses.

I actually want the Dark Matter more now I've seen that.