Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Any and all serious similarities between eva and PR disappeared once we got more than the first trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Even then is was pretty much just that shot of a kaiju body on an aircraft carrier and the nebulous 'To fight monsters we created monsters' tag line.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Umm also the monsters magically appeared one day, in eva they just appear on sensors out of nowhere, in the movie that is replaced by the rift, but still appear instantly on sensors. The helmets of the suit filling with liquid, copying the Eva pilot pod filling with blood. The entire idea of "syncing" with a partner is 100% lifted from Evangelion's pilot sync ratio. I have not seen sync ratios or the liquid cockpit in another mecha anime.

Thats just what smacks you in the face, I am sure if you look there are even more spiritual similarities. Pacific Rim was heavily influenced by Eva, whether Del Toro knows it or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Umm also the monsters magically appeared one day, in eva they just appear on sensors out of nowhere, in the movie that is replaced by the rift, but still appear instantly on sensors. The helmets of the suit filling with liquid, copying the Eva pilot pod filling with blood. The entire idea of "syncing" with a partner is 100% lifted from Evangelion's pilot sync ratio. I have not seen sync ratios or the liquid cockpit in another mecha anime.

Thats just what smacks you in the face, I am sure if you look there are even more spiritual similarities. Pacific Rim was heavily influenced by Eva, whether Del Toro knows it or not.

Pilots syncronizing with their super robots has been a thing for a long time, even prior to Evangelion. "Their hearts and bodies become one" and all that

Liquid-breath things are also not something Evangelion invented. I honestly forgot Pacific Rim even had it but it was around loooong before Eva if not a lot in mecha anime.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 9, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Abyss being an obvious example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people forget that Evangelion itself is an (intentional) homage to Ultraman and Godzilla-style stuff. The Eva is basically an Ultraman with a cockpit shoved into its spine. A lot of the stuff that appears in Pacific Rim can be easily written off as a shared history of being inspired by the same material instead.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Some of that stuff is like saying a band, any band is inspired by the Beatles. Of course they are. Even if you've never heard a Beatles song in your life you'll be influenced by them as a songwriter indirectly.

But really you're being inspired by skiffle if you go back further, or Tim pan alley even further. That's just the way concepts live and grow across time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's references all the way down.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I really enjoyed Evangelion Abridged. Evangelion was pretty good too.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
No idea if this has been posted yet, but just in case...

It's been posted

tentacles fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 10, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it's from Shinji Aramaki's CGI Evangelion short for an animation Expo that going on at the moment.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This X-Men costume looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

tentacles posted:

No idea if this has been posted yet, but just in case...

It's been posted
It took them 10 days but they took it down

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

This X-Men costume looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

It took them 10 days but they took it down

Gantz, of course.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Gantz, of course.

That was one hosed up manga.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Holy poo poo you mean it ended?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ka0 posted:

Yeaaaah, he even already has a new weird underwhelming ultraviolent scifi manga going (and the people in it sure love Gantz!!!!)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeaaaah, he even already has a new weird underwhelming ultraviolent scifi manga going (and the people in it sure love Gantz!!!!)

Please don't post pictures of my house, thanks.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ugh, you left out the loli-bug rape.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Isn't Gantz the one where super powerful aliens show up and they talk like edgy atheist teenagers?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Isn't Gantz the one where super powerful aliens show up and they talk like edgy atheist teenagers?

There are about a million ways to identify Gantz as "that one show/comic" and they're all like that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I...don't think so, unless you're talking about the vampires which were anime-only.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
They were in the manga too.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Ka0 posted:

Gantz ended? You mean I can continue reading it again??

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Gantz ended? You mean I can continue reading it again??
Honestly not recommended.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Twiddy posted:

Honestly not recommended.

I got to volume 10, how come you do not recommend?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I got to volume 10, how come you do not recommend?

Ending sucked so hard I went blind. For a while, the action was basically unreadable, with everything just super dark, formless blobs flailing around at high speeds. In general, it was a wet fart.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Basically that. I suppose the perception of readers up to volume 10 wasn't quite as jaded but the last few years of Gantz had pretty horrible reception around here, and it just got worse as it went.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Twiddy posted:

Basically that. I suppose the perception of readers up to volume 10 wasn't quite as jaded but the last few years of Gantz had pretty horrible reception around here, and it just got worse as it went.

Attempted overly graphic loli monster rape asides

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God this show is weird. I'm watching the original 26 episodes. Episode 17 and the cicadas cease to make their noise whenever there's an outside scene.

I wonder if the remakes have it.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Avocados posted:

God this show is weird. I'm watching the original 26 episodes. Episode 17 and the cicadas cease to make their noise whenever there's an outside scene.

I wonder if the remakes have it.

Really that's the weirdest part so far?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Really that's the weirdest part so far?

Well crucified angel jesus last episode or so was....something. That repulsed me more than it should have. Like something from Dark Souls. Some of the fight scenes are cool though, and have held up incredibly well for how old it is. Also this show is weirdly sexual in multiple ways for being all 14 year olds. Also I think there was an inflation fetish thing going on with red German Girl for the volcano episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Avocados posted:

Well crucified angel jesus last episode or so was....something. That repulsed me more than it should have. Like something from Dark Souls. Some of the fight scenes are cool though, and have held up incredibly well for how old it is. Also this show is weirdly sexual in multiple ways for being all 14 year olds. Also I think there was an inflation fetish thing going on with red German Girl for the volcano episode.

Please continue to post reactions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Please continue to post reactions.

This is not a joke, new people posting reactions is the lifeblood of this thread when there's no remake news.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thats not what I meant about wanting to see more robot fighting. I think I saw an eyeball explode when 01 smashed 03(4?)'s head in. That whole scene was pretty brutal. I was certain Shinji-Bully was applesauce. I feel bad for him though.

e:oh god shinji is gonna go Holy War on NERV with the remaining battery :jihad:

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 13, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
edit: post is not edit yadda yadda

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 13, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Another convert. Please continue with detailed analysis. Episode 18/19 soon :black101:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also, please enjoy this official art.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I uh, don't quite understand what's going on there.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Rei enjoying a nice Black Egg and looking loving thrilled with herself is the best thing :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are you talking about that post, or Eva in general?