Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The 3.0 is basically the epitome of overengineered. Even with all of its advances, 2.0 and OYW are still the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The 2.0 is some kind of design nirvana. I don't care for the styling at all but structurally it's tight as a steel drum, and is one of those rare MGs that doesn't feel the least bit fragile.

I have a ver.OYW on prominent display which I'd planned to replace with the 3.0, but given how shaky the latter's proven to be I'm not sure that's gonna happen now.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a review of the Star Winning Gundam up. It actually looks pretty decent despite it's heavy sticker work.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm rewatching 0080 and 0083 this week. Quick, someone dissuade me from buying a HG Hy-Gogg and Z'Gok-E. They're only £10 each shipped from Japan but I already have a five kit backlog, two of which are MGs. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 26, 2015

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
No, you should get them. Get as many Hygoggs and Z'goks as humanly possible. This is the proper thing to do.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm not gonna do that because they're great kits.

In fact, I'm gonna make it worse and say if you're buying those, you NEED a GM Cold District to go with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

In fact, I'm gonna make it worse and say if you're buying those, you NEED a GM Cold District to go with it.

I already have a RGM-79D, and it's by far my favourite GM variant (it has the best GM head). The 0080/0083 designs are so good and it's such a shame that we're probably never going to get a MG Hy-Gogg or Gerbera Tetra (I know, there are resin kits, but still). :(

In other news, Zaku II F2 torso has been bathing in Fairy Power Spray for 28 hours now and neither the paint nor the plastic are affected in the least. I'm going to give it a few more hours and then just go buy Dettol.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 26, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is there a Tryon 3 gunpla out because i want that motherfucker really bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Is there a Tryon 3 gunpla out because i want that motherfucker really bad.

Yup, it's coming. Release date's still TBA though

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's the deal with Japan's apparent obsession with Ligers, besides it being a really cool thing to have on a robot's chest?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's the deal with Japan's apparent obsession with Ligers, besides it being a really cool thing to have on a robot's chest?

Lions are cool, tigers are also cool. Since Ligers are the offspring of two cool animals, they must be super cool.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Lions are cool, tigers are also cool. Since Ligers are the offspring of two cool animals, they must be super cool.

They also get some kind of freak combination of genes that make them huge.

Tigons, meanwhile, are small for some reason.

It has to do with which is the mom.
http://animals.pawnation.com/difference-between-ligers-tigons-3506.html

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yeah, Ligers are loving huge

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh hey, the PG FA Unicorn set I ordered like six months ago finally shipped. :toot: I can't wait for it to sit in the box unbuilt because the PG Unicorn is way beyond my price range.

Of course I'm still waiting on the knockoff PG-scale Armed Armors and clear psychoframe pieces for maximum customization but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh hey, the PG FA Unicorn set I ordered like six months ago finally shipped. :toot: I can't wait for it to sit in the box unbuilt because the PG Unicorn is way beyond my price range.

Of course I'm still waiting on the knockoff PG-scale Armed Armors and clear psychoframe pieces for maximum customization but I doubt that'll ever happen.

I actually saw a PG Unicorn this afternoon, as a display piece at a local hobby shop. It's very nice :allears:. Don't forget to blow an extra $150 on the LED kit! :shepspends:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I did a thing, no idea when I'll get around to it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Xbone Maoh looks amazing, the Fa Unicorn is also cool I guess. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

(incoherent sputtering)

BUH!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

As if my avatar didn't make it quite clear: Want!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ka0 posted:

No, you should get them. Get as many Hygoggs and Z'goks as humanly possible. This is the proper thing to do.

This is true. The Zock is also pretty awesome (for a giant demon turtle guardian).

e: Oh, and the elephant Juagg! :allears:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm rewatching 0080 and 0083 this week. Quick, someone dissuade me from buying a HG Hy-Gogg and Z'Gok-E. They're only £10 each shipped from Japan but I already have a five kit backlog, two of which are MGs. :v:

The HyGogg is the best looking suit of the OYW and Izubuchi might be the best mechanical designer in the entire Gundam franchise. I don't think it's possible to feel bad about buying anything that guy has had a hand in making.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Red Bones posted:

and Izubuchi might be the best mechanical designer in the entire Gundam franchise.

Yasuhiro Moriki. :colbert:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yasuhiro Moriki. :colbert:

Nah, Izubuchi 4 lyfe. Man gave us the mecha designs for both Char's Counterattack and 0080. The mecha design in Hathaway's Flash is superb and beautiful, don't get me wrong, but Izubuchi's designs are iconic.

Reminds me that I should start working on these 25 year old Patlabor kits I have on my pile, but incidently I have two 0080 HGUC GM kits to finish before then. And then the RE/100 Nightingale. Look, I'm a little biased okay.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly I love both. The suits of Hathaway's Flash are easily my favorite designs in the whole series, but really, asking me to choose between the ridiculous excess of him, Katoki, Fujioka, and Izubuchi is something I couldn't hope to do. So long as they're designing something insane, overengineered, and gigantic, they can really do no wrong.

The obvious solution is to have all of them work on something beyond human understanding but that may be too much for the world to handle.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Izubuchi hands down the best, though his 0080 suits clearly hail from some alternate dimension and shoehorning them into the official continuity has never been anything but awkward.

Unapologetic Katoki fan here, too — he may earn his living by putting his hands all over other people's work, but he's done some pretty terrific original stuff too. Really cannot fathom the hate he gets from certain quarters.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bimmi posted:

Izubuchi hands down the best, though his 0080 suits clearly hail from some alternate dimension and shoehorning them into the official continuity has never been anything but awkward.

Unapologetic Katoki fan here, too — he may earn his living by putting his hands all over other people's work, but he's dome some pretty terrific original stuff too. Really cannot fathom the hate he gets from certain quarters.

I'm also a big fan of Ebikawa and Yanase but only when it comes to their original ineart, it just doesn't work for animation models.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okawara lost his touch years ago, but he designed the Gundam X suits so I can't hate him.

Really, Okawara designs retouched by other people are my favorite. MG GX/DX and MB Destiny are some of my favorite designs ever.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Izubuchi is responsible not only for the Zgok E and the Hygogg but also the Capule, the best robot design of all time.

The suit design in G-Reco has been absolutely stellar though, and Ippei Gyobu (sp?) in particular has made a ton of cool work for it, especially the G-Lucifer and the Grimoire.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah. I'm not fond of the show by the mecha design in G-Reco is just ridiculous. The show manages to have consistently awesome designs - even the G-Self manages to be pretty decent, for a Gundam anyway.

All this posting about Gunpla has me wanting to build/paint stuff but the Dettol is going to take a week to get here and I just discovered my sprue cutter has literal chunks missing from the blades, which I guess explains why it wasn't cutting as well as it used to. :gonk:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah. I'm not fond of the show by the mecha design in G-Reco is just ridiculous. The show manages to have consistently awesome designs - even the G-Self manages to be pretty decent, for a Gundam anyway.

All this posting about Gunpla has me wanting to build/paint stuff but the Dettol is going to take a week to get here and I just discovered my sprue cutter has literal chunks missing from the blades, which I guess explains why it wasn't cutting as well as it used to. :gonk:

The G-Self is just such a friendly looking robot. Kinda robot I'd want my baby brother to have a toy of.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Are there any designs that meet the criteria of "Izubuchi then Ver Ka'd" except the Nu and Sazabi?

Because I love Katoki's redesigns of other people's stuff, and Izubuchi does my favourite base designs.

I mean, Izubuchi created the Nu Gundam and the Sazabi, so he can do no wrong in my eyes.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

I need these in my life

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Are there any designs that meet the criteria of "Izubuchi then Ver Ka'd" except the Nu and Sazabi?

Because I love Katoki's redesigns of other people's stuff, and Izubuchi does my favourite base designs.

I mean, Izubuchi created the Nu Gundam and the Sazabi, so he can do no wrong in my eyes.

Unicorn Capule I guess?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

To be fair, if you've thumbed through the MS Era artbook, you quickly realize that most of the designs in 0080 are meant to really be retcons of the classic designs as opposed to all new, completely different variations. There are some obvious actual variations like the two different GM Commandos vs the Cold Climate type (I would contend the Sniper 2 is just a Sniper Custom), but otherwise the Dom II is just a Dom, Hygogg just a Gogg, FZ Zaku just an F-type, etc.

But Bandai just had to make sure they could sell those new designs with the old so model kits and manuals made up a refit project to explain the new designs.

Zakrello and Bigro, ver. Izubuchi.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, flip through the Fix Figuration line. Katoki's released a lot of redesigns, it's just that most aren't model kits.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 26, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I love my gundam's sleek, so I find myself drawn towards katoki and ebikawa. I like around 90% of the 00 designs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

the Fix Figuration line.

I Googled this and now I'm considering getting something from the Zeonography line or the GFF Gerbera (I know, I know, they're not kits). :negative:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't.

Aside from being out of print and thus ridiculously expensive, the GFF line is notorious for being fragile pieces of poo poo. Once they started adding in metal and jumping up to 1/100 scale they started getting better, but everything beforehand is a flimsy mess that isn't even guaranteed to fit together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Aw.

The stuff I'd want seems to be priced okay on Amazon - $60-70 imported from Japan, which seems to be in line with what they cost at release from what I could find out. Shame the quality on the earlier stuff is bad, because I'd have been all over that Dom/Dowagede, Action Zaku/Zaku Flipper or Ral's Zaku I/II.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 26, 2015