Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ross posted:

Gaah this is going to happen (someone is going to dragon-warg) and it's going to be so stupid :eng99:

I don't think its possible to have dragons and "warging" in the same story and not have it happen eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ross posted:

Gaah this is going to happen (someone is going to dragon-warg) and it's going to be so stupid :eng99:

I've always maintained that Bran is going to dragon-warg eventually. That's what Bloodraven means by "you will never walk again, but you will fly". Bran is going to overwrite Drogon's rear end in a top hat personality (or Victarion's dragon horn mind wipe of him), and that's how Dany will finally gain control over him.

Or desert shits, whatever.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Dany is going to ride Bran. There's your song of ice and fire.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Pack it up boys, we're done here

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I forget, did that happen. Can't remember much from that book.

Not yeeeet...

TommyGun85 posted:

Boom!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

I don't think its possible to have dragons and "warging" in the same story and not have it happen eventually.

I'm sure there are some fans who are just salivating at the prospect and the absolute fucker knows this. Hopefully this means he won't do it or will 'subvert' it by making it just horrible.

Or perhaps, not write at all?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TommyGun85 posted:

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

The Absolute Fucker has decided to edit another short story anthology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Venus

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jon is going to Dragon Warg permanently and punish the 7 kingdoms with his angst lol

Please tell me "Dragon under Winterfell" is a wacky theory that isn't actually supported all that well. All I know is that it's unusually warm beneath them and goddammit please dont.

I think Winterfell's been established as being located where it is because it's right on top of hot springs, and Witnerfell itself predates Aegon the Conqueror so claiming it's heated due to a sleeping dragon would be such a blatant retcon for no goddamn reason.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The only thing that actually makes sense to me about the warmth beneath Winterfell is that we were also recently introduced to another very warm subterranean world in the freezing north (the Childrens' endless warm, warded caves where Bloodraven is) and both places happen to be situated under weirwoods, and both locations seem to have magical properties of ones sort of another. And it makes some sense given the alliance between the First Men and the Children, and the mythology surrounding the construction of Winterfell and The Wall. And the Winterfell crypts are also clearly connected to this whole thing somehow, and I do still think there's something significant about it given all those foreshadow-y dreams from Stark kids.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

P_T_S posted:

Gotta do something to fill the time between con appearances and the NFL season.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

P_T_S posted:

more like Old Penus

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

kcroy posted:

more like Old Penus

:vincegettingknockedover.gif:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

P_T_S posted:

He can concentrate more on side projects now because WoW is really, honestly almost done.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

OhYeah posted:

He can concentrate more on side projects now because WoW is really, honestly almost done.

Martin doing nothing but play WoW for the last decade would explain a lot.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

P_T_S posted:

Holy poo poo that cover...

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/erotic-scifi-stories/

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

At this point huge letters saying "Edited by Gurm" on the book cover is the best warning not to loving buy this book under any circumstances.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It sounds likely that Dozois (who can probably edit anthologies in his sleep at this point) does most of the footwork and Martin contributes mostly his name/clout.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm not compelled to read that Dangerous Women collection, but I'm not going to spend a loving cent on a short-story collection that's published in three separate instalments for no loving reason barring greed. Is it just readers in the EU who are being screwed by this practice?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm not going to spend a loving cent on a short-story collection that's published in three separate instalments for no loving reason barring greed.

I assume since you're posting in this thread your only hang up is that the stories are short instead of interminably long?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No, it's because these installments are only 200-250 pages long apiece and are sold at the same price and on the same shelf as Martin's regular 900 page bricks. I've never read nor heard of a short-story collection that's divided for publication before.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 27, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

No, it's because these installments are only 200-250 pages long apiece and are sold at the same price and on the same shelf as Martin's regular 900 page bricks. I've never read nor heard of a short-story collection that's divided for publication before.

Did they split that Princess & Queen story by GRRM into three parts to spread between the anthology installments?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

savinhill posted:

Did they split that Princess & Queen story by GRRM into three parts to spread between the anthology installments?

Nope, it was all fit into one anthology. It was fairly short at ~100 pages give or take 20 but as far as I know that was the whole thing.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Seems like you have this the wrong way around, since the Dunk and Eggs stories have been published years and years apart in different collections, and just now are being put into a collected paperback by themselves. Technically they're novellas, since they're ~100 pages. They're loosely connected, and apparently (ie, never), are going to continue in a few more installments charting out the life of those kids.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I'm not compelled to read that Dangerous Women collection, but I'm not going to spend a loving cent on a short-story collection that's published in three separate instalments for no loving reason barring greed. Is it just readers in the EU who are being screwed by this practice?

Quite a bit of the not Gurm stuff in Dangerous Women is surprisingly decent.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
why do they call him Ned, his name isnt Neddard?

...serious question....

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah and what's will Bill Clinton? Is it short for Billiam or something?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

...serious question....

There are a ton of names, especially English ones where the short version has very little resemblance to the long one.

It [Margaret] has a large number of diminutive forms in many different languages, including Maggie, Madge, Maisie, Marge, Meg, Megan, Mog, Rita, Daisy, Greta, Gretel, Gretchen, Magee, Marg, Margot, May, Molly, Peggy and Peg.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

TommyGun85 posted:

...serious question....

There was a medieval times practice of shortening a name and rhyming it to create nicknames.

Bob = Rob = Robert, Dick = Ric = Richard, Bill = Will= William, Ned = Ed = Eddard

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

DARPA posted:

There was a medieval times practice of shortening a name and rhyming it to create nicknames.

Bob = Rob = Robert, Dick = Ric = Richard, Bill = Will= William, Ned = Ed = Eddard

thanks. I always wondered about this. didnt know about the rhyming.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I remember someone in one these threads a long time ago posting that it's commonly understood that Ned has originated from "Mine Ed" -> 'my ned' -> ned.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/ned

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

SaviourX posted:

Seems like you have this the wrong way around, since the Dunk and Eggs stories have been published years and years apart in different collections, and just now are being put into a collected paperback by themselves. Technically they're novellas, since they're ~100 pages. They're loosely connected, and apparently (ie, never), are going to continue in a few more installments charting out the life of those kids.

The existing Dunk and Egg stories have been available in one collection for some time now. Just not in English.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Are Dunk + Egg worth reading?

I've never bothered with them but now that they are evidently available all in a dedicated single volume I might give them a look.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I used to rent from a Ted whose name was actually Edward. How did we get Jim out of James, or Jack from Jonathan?

Or Kazuhira out of McDonnell?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Or Kazuhira out of McDonnell?

Wasn't he half Japanese? Maybe he just took that name to use with that side of his family.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

They're not published anymore, are they?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Ross posted:

I've never bothered with them but now that they are evidently available all in a dedicated single volume I might give them a look.

I enjoyed them. You will get some background on Dance stuff with Aegon. I don't know how much the collection is selling for but if it's as much as a full novel with no new art or anything I don't know if they were that entertaining.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

bartlebyshop posted:

I enjoyed them. You will get some background on Dance stuff with Aegon. I don't know how much the collection is selling for but if it's as much as a full novel with no new art or anything I don't know if they were that entertaining.

Thanks

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ross posted:

I bought the comic book versions and thought they were decent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

...serious question....

Ser Jerome of Sein Field, House words are "These neeps are making me thirsty"