Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've been reading the re-read along with my first read through the books since somewhere around Bonehunters (almost done DoD now) and it's been great. It's very helpful with identifying all the ongoing subplots, foreshadowing, and subtleties that are all over these books that I just can't comprehend myself without poring over every paragraph like I'm in grade 10 English class again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

- Erikson's imagery owns. There are so many cool vivid scenes - Fener being brought down in DG, Gruntle's house of corpses in book 3, the battle over Pale. The only other fantasy author who is comparable to Erikson in the quality of his fantastical imagery IMO is Mervyn Peake.

I actually never found the house of corpses that cool, but I guess that is more my different perspective. The ends of Itkovian and Brukhalian were much better.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

- The series could use better editing, although that's a criticism that could probably be levied on every fantasy novel in existence. The random minor soldier characters get on my nerves, especially when Eriskon rapidly switches between their POVs - e.g. the dream sequences in the tunnel under Y'Ghatan.

gently caress no.
One of the best things with Eriksons writing is all those POV from minor characters. :dealwithit:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Dust of Dreams:

Oh there's only 60 pages left, guess nothing's happening until The Cripp-

:stare:

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
Toll the Hounds: About halfway through. Karsa broing out with Dassem Ultor is the best. Murillios duel with Gorlas is the worst. He was one of the most genuinely likable characters in the series :(

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm trying to understand how exactly Tehol destroyed the economy a second time.
It honestly seems he literally does nothing and talks big while Bugg does all the work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

amuayse posted:

I'm trying to understand how exactly Tehol destroyed the economy a second time.
It honestly seems he literally does nothing and talks big while Bugg does all the work.

As nearly as I can tell, he made a ton of corporations creditors to his companies while simultaneously removing the short-term supply of hard currency. This resulted in companies that were not his being unable to pay their debts. Enough companies collapsing caused a chain reaction of collapses..

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It just seems to me that everyone has absolutely no business sense in Letheri except Tehol or the Ratcatcher's Guild does indeed control everything. Tehol's whole scheme comes across more like the financial version of Idiocracy than some brilliant economy destroying plan.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

acumen posted:

Dust of Dreams:

Oh there's only 60 pages left, guess nothing's happening until The Cripp-

:stare:

I never liked the end of DoD, regardless how awesome the scenes are, simply since it felt so out of touch with the rest of the series.
I also forgot how much of DoD/TCG consists of gods walking around in the wastelands doing nothing.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finished Reaper's Gale yesterday. That last Beak scene, with Hood and his brother almost made me cry, something this series hasn't managed since the Chain of Dogs.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

zeal posted:

Finished Reaper's Gale yesterday. That last Beak scene, with Hood and his brother almost made me cry, something this series hasn't managed since the Chain of Dogs.

Any mention of Beak usually gets a collective :cry: from everyone in this thread. God, I loved those Beak scenes so much. So glad I'm rereading things immediately after ending the series.

By the way, GotM had been awesome the second time around. I'm nearing the end of the book, but what ever happened with Burn and her sleeping? Did that ever get resolved and I forgot about it?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Yarrbossa posted:

Any mention of Beak usually gets a collective :cry: from everyone in this thread. God, I loved those Beak scenes so much. So glad I'm rereading things immediately after ending the series.

By the way, GotM had been awesome the second time around. I'm nearing the end of the book, but what ever happened with Burn and her sleeping? Did that ever get resolved and I forgot about it?

Or depends on what you mean by 'resolved.'

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Habibi posted:

Or depends on what you mean by 'resolved.'

I guess I mean does Burn ever do anything besides sleep? I vaguely remember something about the Crippled God and/or Quick Ben doing something with Burn...maybe? Also, why is she even sleeping in the first place?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yarrbossa posted:

I guess I mean does Burn ever do anything besides sleep? I vaguely remember something about the Crippled God and/or Quick Ben doing something with Burn...maybe? Also, why is she even sleeping in the first place?
MoI spoilers: She's trying to fight off the infection caused by the Crippled God - he doesn't belong there, he's poison to everything. Quick Ben manages to give her more time by the end of MoI by employing Pannion to freeze the infection or whatnot. We don't know what happens after TCG departs. It's also implied that she dreams the world in a way similar to the Mhybe.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yarrbossa posted:

Weelllll...no, she never does anything but sleep, except when you meet her in FoD. As far as why, IIRC, two explanations are offered: 1) she sleeps to fight TCGs infection; 2) she sleeps to dream...existence, with the theory being that if she wakes up, the current round of existence ends. The way I interpreted it for the latter, her sleeping/waking is essentially a metaphor for tectonic/volcanic type activity. While she sleeps, the land is dormant, when she wakes, it basically triggers earthquakes/volcanoes etc and wipes out most life. So in RG you have the scene where Icarium sets foot in Lether, and Burn flinches, resulting in earthquakes. Or it could be more literal, as with the Mhybe to whom she is compared, and whose dreaming basically creates/maintains a Warren.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Weelllll...no, she never does anything but sleep, except when you meet her in FoD. As far as why, IIRC, two explanations are offered: 1) she sleeps to fight TCGs infection; 2) she sleeps to dream...existence, with the theory being that if she wakes up, the current round of existence ends. The way I interpreted it for the latter, her sleeping/waking is essentially a metaphor for tectonic/volcanic type activity. While she sleeps, the land is dormant, when she wakes, it basically triggers earthquakes/volcanoes etc and wipes out most life. So in RG you have the scene where Icarium sets foot in Lether, and Burn flinches, resulting in earthquakes. Or it could be more literal, as with the Mhybe to whom she is compared, and whose dreaming basically creates/maintains a Warren.

It's ok because if Burn ever wakes up everyone will just end up in Kruppe-verse forever. Which may be a fate worse than death.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

It's ok because if Burn ever wakes up everyone will just end up in Kruppe-verse forever. Which may be a fate worse than death.

Give me Dragnipur anyday.

But in all seriousness, I find Kruppe a lot funnier the second time around.

Thanks for the info on Burn. I recall now the bits about stuff being poisoned because of the Crippled God.

I'm nearing the end of GotM now, and it is far more interesting the second time around. Is there mind blowing stuff I should've caught that I didn't (without having read FoD yet)? I thought someone mentioned that we briefly meet Fisher at some point?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yarrbossa posted:

Give me Dragnipur anyday.

But in all seriousness, I find Kruppe a lot funnier the second time around.

Thanks for the info on Burn. I recall now the bits about stuff being poisoned because of the Crippled God.

I'm nearing the end of GotM now, and it is far more interesting the second time around. Is there mind blowing stuff I should've caught that I didn't (without having read FoD yet)? I thought someone mentioned that we briefly meet Fisher at some point?

IIRC, not until Reaper's Gale, and you meet him more than briefly.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Here's an interesting little Kharkanas related exchange from GotM (page 449 of the paperback):

quote:

And then Tool hit her with another stunning revelation. 'I am sure,' the Imass said, 'the Tiste Andii regret their coming to this world.'
'They came to this world? From where? How? Why?'
'The Tiste Andii were of Kurald Galain, the Warren of Darkness. Kurald Galain stood alone, untouched. The Goddess, their mother, knew loneliness...' Tool hesitated. 'There is probably little truth in this story, Adjunct.'
'Go on,' Lorn said quietly. 'Please.'
'In her loneliness, the Goddess sought something outside herself. Thus was born Light. Her children the Tiste Andii saw this as a betrayal. They rejected her. Some hold they were cast out, others that they departed their mother's embrace by choice. While Tiste Andii mages still use the Warren of Kurald Galain, they are no longer of it. And some have embraced another Warren, that of Starvald Demelain.'
'The First Warren.'
Tool nodded.
'Whose Warren did Starvald Demelain belong to?'
'It was the home of Dragons, Adjunct.'

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is fairly likely that this is a GotMism and as such will be retconned - or that Tool doesn't have all the information since all that happened way before his time.
It can also be a mythological interpretation of historical/political events (ie what most people were rolling with before FoD started smashing theories left and right).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whether it has been retconned it has been done so precisely so that throws off the reader and makes them believe what the people in the books believe

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

or that Tool doesn't have all the information since all that happened way before his time.
It can also be a mythological interpretation of historical/political events (ie what most people were rolling with before FoD started smashing theories left and right).

Pretty much these two and what Jose said. Even if retconned, it was almost certainly not intended to be accurate in the first place. Technically, the ritual had happened by or at the time of FoD, so Tool and the other T'lan should have been around when the Tiste 'came' into their world, but wouldn't have known of what led to it nor, as it seems, did the Imass have any knowledge of the Tiste's existence or presence before they arrived.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
In the last few months I blazed through all of the BotF series, FoD, and the the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach series. I intentionally avoided the ICE books until I had nothing else left to read because everyone in this thread saying that they were pretty terrible. I just finished Night of Knives and... I liked it.

Does this mean that I've had terrible taste all this time and didn't know it? Or do the later books suck more and tarnish this one? I've heard Kiska's storyline doesn't actually go anywhere so I tried not to get too invested in what her ultimate role will be, but I liked the Temper parts. Granted they both seemed a little too Mary Sue/Marty Stu-ish, but that's most fantasy books for you, and there are definitely characters like that in the main series.

The parts I enjoyed the most were Temper's flashbacks that revealed a lot more about Daseem and the first assault on Y'Ghatan, seemed almost like it belonged in a different book.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

Pretty much these two and what Jose said. Even if retconned, it was almost certainly not intended to be accurate in the first place. Technically, the ritual had happened by or at the time of FoD, so Tool and the other T'lan should have been around when the Tiste 'came' into their world, but wouldn't have known of what led to it nor, as it seems, did the Imass have any knowledge of the Tiste's existence or presence before they arrived.

Finished off the Andii part of TCG and I don't understand how Erikson will have space to fit in the rest of the things in the Kharkanas series.
Dragons and drinking their blood, Rake and Silchas killing off High houses, marriage between Urusander and Mother Dark and raising of the Shore, Dragnipur (yeah, I believe it now), sundering of Shadow and battle between dragons and Rake, Kilmandaros and Osserc, sealing off Starvald Demelain using the Hust legion, Silchas "betrayal" of Rake, the Silanah-Rake love thing, one of Hunn Raals cousin becoming leader of the Liosan and meeting Kallor, 7 dogs of Shadow, Spite and Envy, Blind Gallans road, K'Chain Ch'Malle and more things that I have forgotten. Also, Quick Ben gets retconned more times than I remember in the series.
In some ways FoD was a slow burner and things will go a lot faster now.

Also, the Bridgeburners from Malazan wiki. Not the way I would have pictured Detoran and for that matter, any one else. Isn't Quick Ben rather short and Kalam rather big in the books?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty good look into the Malazan universe and a pretty bad book. This is perfectly fine for some people, mind you; the good news is, the following books are better. Except Assail. gently caress Assail.

edit: Don't know about QB but Kalam is definitely mentioned as being huge several times.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jose posted:

Whether it has been retconned it has been done so precisely so that throws off the reader and makes them believe what the people in the books believe

Is there even anything to retcon? Tool says right there that it's probably bullshit.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I just thought it was cool that Tiste back-story showed up in book 1. Erikson obviously expanded his plans for that material a lot as the series progressed.

Hood's Balls, when is Fall Of Light coming out?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I started the 3rd one and don't remember poo poo about Paran. Can anyone remind me :

* So is he still cursed by Oponn? What happened to the sword that was cursed?
* How did he end up with shadow hound blood
* How did he end up in front of Hood gates and what happened after
* Why was he in Anomander's sword and how did he manage to save the hounds there
* Why is one sister sent to the mines and the other made an Adjunct, aren't they on the same side

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
GotM and DH spoilers:

*No, Oponn learned not to mess with mortals. He threw the sword into the sea or something.
*He was nearby when Rake killed two Hounds near Darujhistan. Inspected corpses, touched the blood, ended in the sword. Blackmailed Oponn to get him and the hounds out.
*Technically, he got killed and Shadowtrone freed him since it'be too much of a bother to find out who the next pawn of Oponn was.
*Tavore needs to show she's sincere about the nobility culling, so she sends Felisin to the mines - with a bodyguard who's supposed to bust her out. Things don't work out that well.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

GotM and DH spoilers:

*No, Oponn learned not to mess with mortals. He threw the sword into the sea or something.
*He was nearby when Rake killed two Hounds near Darujhistan. Inspected corpses, touched the blood, ended in the sword. Blackmailed Oponn to get him and the hounds out.
*Technically, he got killed and Shadowtrone freed him since it'be too much of a bother to find out who the next pawn of Oponn was.
*Tavore needs to show she's sincere about the nobility culling, so she sends Felisin to the mines - with a bodyguard who's supposed to bust her out. Things don't work out that well.

not quite on the first point crokus throws oponn's coin into the sea during GOTM's epilogue, as noted by circle breaker. cotillion takes paran's sword during the convergence in darujhistan

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
What's up with Karsa in DHG? Is his entire character retconned completely? I haven't' read DHG in years, all I remember is that he's in it by Leoman's side, but he seems like a such a goofy douche compared to the Karsa we get to know.

EDIT: Are we still spoilering the books at this point? :catstare:

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

It is fairly likely that this is a GotMism and as such will be retconned - or that Tool doesn't have all the information since all that happened way before his time.

Uhm, what is it that you people consider incongruous? It all seems quite accurate to me.

The part missing is the one about the dragon warren, but that's because it's how Forge of Darkness ENDS.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
FoD spoilers: Tiste aren't of Galain but of the same world Malazan is taking place in, Dark and Light are (presumably in the second case) not gods but high-ranking Tiste, Dark didn't create Light. As I said, it's more likely to be a foggy recounting of events as they passed from history to myth; still it's inaccurate.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I recently started listening to the GotM audio book during my commute, and the different medium has changed my opinions about it a fair bit. Mostly the slow and dramatic delivery.

Firstly, my pronunciations :qq: . Nappan as in nape of your neck not nap of fur, Tistuh instead of teest. Korel as in the reef. Instant immersion breakers all of them. Who knows what I'll get when Tool shows up.

Secondly, boy is the beginning melodramatic as poo poo. Hairlock sure does hate Tayschren. Tattersail sure is put through the wringer every thirty seconds or so. Topper sure can't stand Paran's gibes. I guess this is comes across because the narrator is really putting some effort in to the voices but it's certainly not what I thought when I have read it myself.

Thirdly everyone has this high feminine voice, especially fiddler and quick ben, which annoys me.

So yeah. Not that far in yet but uhh, maybe audiobooks aren't my thing.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

FoD spoilers: Tiste aren't of Galain but of the same world Malazan is taking place in, Dark and Light are (presumably in the second case) not gods but high-ranking Tiste, Dark didn't create Light. As I said, it's more likely to be a foggy recounting of events as they passed from history to myth; still it's inaccurate.

I want to say this isn't true - I'm going to have to re-read the books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it's entirely possible I'm wrong there, I only read FoD twice and it's been a while.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

FoD spoilers: Tiste aren't of Galain but of the same world Malazan is taking place in,

If true, then this would contradict the prologue of MT, more than GotM. We still don't know "where" FoD takes place, or how it moves from there. We need the trilogy complete to know the whole genesis.

quote:

Dark and Light are (presumably in the second case) not gods but high-ranking Tiste, Dark didn't create Light.

Gods become gods.

And definitely FoD Light Tiste develop from the Dark.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Kharkanas Trilogy theories:

It all takes place on the same world, but some of the races didn't know the others existed. It's shown in the book that they can travel between regions and, while not explicitly stated, I don't think there's any magic involved. Some races just seem more isolated than others. Each race is overseen (created?) by an Azanthai(sp?). Olar Ethil->Imass, Draconus->Tiste, Kilmandaros->Forkrul Assail, guy I can't remember->Thelomen, etc. There is magic, but it seems it can only be access by Azanthai. K'rul decides to use his blood to allow everyone access to magic (maybe this was his attempt to stop him from needing blood sacrifices?). This somehow allowed the creation of Warrens or Holds. Draconus creates the Hold/Warren of Darkness. We will then see the Hold of Light and Shadow formed in the upcoming books. When the holds are created, the areas that they encompass are incorporated off world. I also think whatever K'rul did allowed gates to be formed, which is how the dragons came through. The other possibility is that whatever Draconus did allowed them through (possibly having something to do with Darkness being chased by Chaos, and dragons coming from Chaos?).

Dark did create light, but not in the way the rest of the books would have you believe. When that one lady was turned white, that was the start of the Liosan. If I remember right, this was done, in part, by T'riss when she came from the Vitr and visited Mother Dark. The Shadow Tiste seem to be those who were caught in the middle, mainly the lower/middle class folks, while the Liosan and Andii seem to be mostly the noble houses. The greyish skin color of the Edur could either come from the "combining" of dark and light, or that was the natural color and it never changed since they didn't choose dark or light.

The sundering of Shadow seems to happen due to fighting between Andii and Liosan over who had control over the common folks. A large group of Tiste left Shadow during the fighting and came back to the regular Malazan world. That's where they run into the Key-chain she-males.

e: More theory stuff: Because of what K'rul did, blood was no longer required as a sacrifice and now have people can become gods/ascendants by being worshiped (Silchas, Scara Bandaris, Annomander, etc).

I drive a BBW fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 6, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

blk96gt posted:

Kharkanas Trilogy theories:

Dark did create light, but not in the way the rest of the books would have you believe. When that one lady was turned white, that was the start of the Liosan. If I remember right, this was done, in part, by T'riss when she came from the Vitr and visited Mother Dark. The Shadow Tiste seem to be those who were caught in the middle, mainly the lower/middle class folks, while the Liosan and Andii seem to be mostly the noble houses. The greyish skin color of the Edur could either come from the "combining" of dark and light, or that was the natural color and it never changed since they didn't choose dark or light.

The sundering of Shadow seems to happen due to fighting between Andii and Liosan over who had control over the common folks. A large group of Tiste left Shadow during the fighting and came back to the regular Malazan world. That's where they run into the Key-chain she-males.

[/spoiler]

Yeah, Edur seems to be those wanting nothing to do with the whole thing. Scara Bandaris walks out on the whole mess and he is the god of the Edur. But he also turned dragon, so some further involvement must happen. Kagamandra Tulas/Tulas Shorn become King of Shadow before getting thrown down and killed, He also becomes a dragon. Sukul Ankhadu, Menandore and Sheltata Lores involvement with the Edur is a little confusing at the moment. Especially Sukul Ankhadu seems rather decent judged by FoD.
As for the Sundering of Shadow, that seems to be a combination of Icarium and dragons, where Rake, Osserc and Kilmandaros will defend the throne from all pretenders.
Shadow was apparently birthed by the joining of Dark and Light, ie some meeting between Urusander and Mother Dark,

TL:DR
Fall of Light can't come fast enough.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Quick question re: TCG, which I have not finished: is the sword that Shadowthrone gives the Oponn sword from GotM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, because Silchas mentions it's Hust whereas Paran just bought the thing normally.