Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

swampface posted:

I thought my #5 was ground off square for the longest time because I have to keep the lever way to the left. Turns out the slot in the blade isn't centered properly! It was nice to finally figure that out, but man I spent so much time regrinding the bevel on that thing trying to "fix" it.

I have a plane with the same problem and have checked the blade, checked the mouth and body; but never thought to check the slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
So Bosch figured out a way to get rid of the rail system on their sliders. Apparently this saves 12" of bench space on the back side and still allows for a 14" max cut capacity (12' saw).

Pretty sweet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that kind of linkage isn't entirely new, but last I heard, the jury was still out on whether it could hold to tolerance or not.

frightening

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Atticus_1354 posted:

Worst comes to worst you can always get a new blade from lee valley.

And speaking of Lee Valley, one of their regular classes is on honing and sharpening tools, so you could always sign up for that for some good instruction. Probably get some freebies out of it too.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Sointenly posted:

So Bosch figured out a way to get rid of the rail system on their sliders. Apparently this saves 12" of bench space on the back side and still allows for a 14" max cut capacity (12' saw).

Pretty sweet.

This is a fricken awesome. saw btw. Its been out a few years and rivals the Kapex in almost every way. Andt about 1/2 the cost.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've played with that Bosch a number of times and I'm not impressed. Every one of them has had an unacceptable amount of movement in the mechanism. A little pressure on the handle and suddenly your cut is off. No thanks.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
This has been out for a few years? Ok... i'm way behind.

I noticed that Craftsman has a 10" "Compact" slider also. Different linkage but same principle of reducing the footprint of the slide mechanism. If this is a trend, I like it. I think if I were someone with a small short, looking for a slider I'd seriously consider this.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-10inch-compact-sliding-compound-miter-saw/p-00940753000P

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

wormil posted:

Should have kept it. I have one that is 7 1/4, 40 tooth, ultra thin kerf, and it produces the most amazing finished looking cuts. I rarely use it on the TS but it does make nice cuts and so thin it goes through anything like butter.

Well I could always reorder one, nbd. But I guess it never occurred to me to keep one so much smaller. What kind of applications would I want a really thin kerf like that?

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006

Sointenly posted:

This has been out for a few years? Ok... i'm way behind.

I noticed that Craftsman has a 10" "Compact" slider also. Different linkage but same principle of reducing the footprint of the slide mechanism. If this is a trend, I like it. I think if I were someone with a small short, looking for a slider I'd seriously consider this.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-10inch-compact-sliding-compound-miter-saw/p-00940753000P

The HItachi C12RSH has a similar slider mechanism.

It's really nice to be able to fit a 12" saw on a bench that's all the way against the wall. It's been a really great saw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doctor Zero posted:

Well I could always reorder one, nbd. But I guess it never occurred to me to keep one so much smaller. What kind of applications would I want a really thin kerf like that?

Probably none, realistically. I bought it for cutting cabinet plywood with my circular saw but have occasionally used it on my table saw for resawing small pieces of holly for a minimum of waste.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

And speaking of Lee Valley, one of their regular classes is on honing and sharpening tools, so you could always sign up for that for some good instruction. Probably get some freebies out of it too.

:britain: unfortunately.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ReelBigLizard posted:

:britain: unfortunately.

After watching a few of the videos from Paul Sellers on sharpening planes and Chisels I finally got up the courage to sharpen my cheapo home depot chisels. It worked amazingly well and they both look better than when I bought them and are way sharper too :D

Gotta work up the courage to sharpen my Veritas plane blade now. I guess I should get around to restoring my Stanley #5 and sharpen that first to make sure I can do it.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I used to be hesitant to sharpen expensive tools before, but then I realized that unless you jam them into a grinder, or break them, or something else catastrophic, you can sharpen them several times a day for years before they're too short to use. Now I sharpen them whenever I think they're even starting to show signs of dullness.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've got no problems with confidence, like I said I restore 100 year old straight razors. I just like to get some opinions on best practice and tips before I get stuck in and spend more time than I have to. I've got a shitload of interests and projects, some of them profitable, so I try and optimise my time.

I love the hobby forums on SA because they're like an aggregator for awesome tips and technique, all presented with good grammar and modding of a standard you couldn't even dream of on other hobby forums. I don't rag on people who ask "google-able" questions either, because sometimes google is full of poo poo because it's regurgitating popular (but actually lovely) opinions and information. It's why I still hang around after more than a decade as a registered user.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've got no problems with confidence, like I said I restore 100 year old straight razors. I just like to get some opinions on best practice and tips before I get stuck in and spend more time than I have to. I've got a shitload of interests and projects, some of them profitable, so I try and optimise my time.

I love the hobby forums on SA because they're like an aggregator for awesome tips and technique, all presented with good grammar and modding of a standard you couldn't even dream of on other hobby forums. I don't rag on people who ask "google-able" questions either, because sometimes google is full of poo poo because it's regurgitating popular (but actually lovely) opinions and information. It's why I still hang around after more than a decade as a registered user.

DIY has saved me thousands of dollars probably. Hundreds easily, just with replacing a water heater element and adding GFCI outlets.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If you're in the UK, the Caterham F1 team is in administration, and the administrators are selling off their assets at auction:

http://www.wyleshardy.com/caterhamf1/

Some astonishingly good deals here, if you care enough to find them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Bad Munki posted:

frightening
This wasn't the video I was looking for, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

If you're in the UK, the Caterham F1 team is in administration, and the administrators are selling off their assets at auction:

http://www.wyleshardy.com/caterhamf1/

Some astonishingly good deals here, if you care enough to find them.

Sweet jesus. Why am I so poor this month!?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sweet jesus. Why am I so poor this month!?

Your options were poor before or after the auction, this way you don't at least end up with a carbon fibre coffee table.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I feel like you're implying that not having said table is a good thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

nmfree posted:

This wasn't the video I was looking for, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HBfj423cc

:gonk:

I don't think I could handle having a job where I'm permanently one slip-up away from losing my fingers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I feel like you're implying that not having said table is a good thing.

Lot 813 would make a full dining table, go big or go home.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
gently caress that, lot 1491 will make you a full-sized dining table. If you have £150k to spare, buy yourself a room-sized CNC milling machine which can make ALL the things.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress that, lot 1491 will make you a full-sized dining table. If you have £150k to spare, buy yourself a room-sized CNC milling machine which can make ALL the things.

If I had £150k for a room-sized milling machine you know drat well sure I'd own a room-sized milling machine. I wouldn't be concerned about it taking up the whole garage, I'd use it as a garage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

If I had £150k for a room-sized milling machine you know drat well sure I'd own a room-sized milling machine. I wouldn't be concerned about it taking up the whole garage, I'd use it as a garage.

You mean you'd use it to make a second garage.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Wait, there are people in this thread who still park cars in their garage? Where do your tools live?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anubis posted:

Wait, there are people in this thread who still park cars in their garage? Where do your tools live?

Well what else would a living room be good for?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
In my fully conditioned shop space :smug:

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Anubis posted:

Basement shops are a pain in the rear end when you get new tools, but awesome when it's -5F outside.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Eh my freestanding garage workshop is better insulated than most houses and has no problem with -5F, beyond that the electricity consumption goes up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If everything goes according to plan and I get to build a shop at my next place, I'm strongly considering radiant floor heating. :getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If everything goes according to plan and I get to build a shop at my next place, I'm strongly considering radiant floor heating. :getin:

DO IT.

I haven't hooked this up yet, but at least it's in the floor. I'll have it ready for next winter. The radiant I put into the attached office has been kicking rear end for two years now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hell yeah.

My only hesitation with the in-floor heat is that I *also* want to have a raised floor that I can run ducting through, and that would basically make a heat-trapping bubble that would greatly hinder the effectiveness of the heated floor. Choices, choices! Granted, with enough space, having vertical ducts in the airspace of the shop isn't such a big deal, and allows for more flexibility of where stuff goes, so I'll probably scrap the raised floor option, but still, I love me some open air.

On the topic of in-floor heating: I have this feeling that having an extra-thick slab would be a good thing for in-floor heating, since it would have more mass and thus hold its heat better in the winter once it got up to temp. Anyone have any idea if it would actually make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

On the topic of in-floor heating: I have this feeling that having an extra-thick slab would be a good thing for in-floor heating, since it would have more mass and thus hold its heat better in the winter once it got up to temp. Anyone have any idea if it would actually make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?

Insulation below the slab is a lot more important than slab thickness, unless you expect to be opening the door/exchanging air a lot. Then the extra thermal mass will help you recover the room heat.

I'm at 5" of 4500 PSI crete on that side of the barn, mostly because it was a little bit more than what I needed to safely put in a lift.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's a sneak peek at my current project, it's a piece of polycarbonate from an old greenhouse, washed it and drying it in the sauna. It's going to become a mesh type winter solar collector. It'll sit on my southern garage wall and with a fan and thermostat it'll heat the workshop. It's on the wall because it's a winter collector, so it's much less effective in summer while the sun is almost straight on in the months it'll work most optimally (september-october, bit into november and february-april).

Based on others experiences running these things in the same climate, they seem to work remarkably well during these months. Won't work during the deepest winter months because we had like 6 hours total of sun in december here. But it'll cut months of the time I need to rely on the heating element.

I could have had radiant heat but from the start I wanted an uninsulated and unheated garage and it just changed into a full blown workshop, if I could go back I'd have added hydronic floor heating and connected it to our houses geothermal heatpump. Fortunately the plans for the garage where made for insulation and they just didn't add it when building an uninsulated model, so it was easy for me to add myself. The slab is also superbly insulated (the interior floor slab floats on insulation on the sides and underneath an bigger exterior slab, which is also insulated, and then the area under ground is insulated 1 meter out), it's quite a waste I didn't add it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

Insulation below the slab is a lot more important than slab thickness, unless you expect to be opening the door/exchanging air a lot. Then the extra thermal mass will help you recover the room heat.

I'm at 5" of 4500 PSI crete on that side of the barn, mostly because it was a little bit more than what I needed to safely put in a lift.
Okay, that seems sensible enough. Of course when I do this, I'll actually work with someone who knows how to design one properly, rather than just wondering out loud on the internet. :haw:

I guess the only other real concern, then, is that I pay attention to where the hoses are, because there are at least a few tools I'm going to want to bolt to the floor.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, that seems sensible enough. Of course when I do this, I'll actually work with someone who knows how to design one properly, rather than just wondering out loud on the internet. :haw:

I guess the only other real concern, then, is that I pay attention to where the hoses are, because there are at least a few tools I'm going to want to bolt to the floor.

Yes, definitely do your layout with that in mind, but it's real easy to find them. Just crank the heat and feel. Or use an IR thermometer. A thermal imaging camera is cheat mode.

I know where they are based on my photos and several fixed points (and knowing the size of the welded wire I put in), but I'd definitely double check with at least an IR thermometer before drilling poo poo.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I saw a picture online where the guy sprayed his floor with water, then watched which parts dried first.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

swampface posted:

Basement shops are a pain in the rear end when you get new tools, but awesome when it's -5F outside.

My basement shop is connected to my garage with double doors :smug:

Slab thickness helps when you don't want the temperature to change, but it hurts when you do (it'll take forever to warm up if you want to turn it up while you are in there). Radiant panels on the ceiling can work well for that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I need to borrow my dad's set-saw to build some shelves in the garage while the gf is away for 6 weeks, the plan is to have it all tidied up and all the random crap stored neatly.

Worth building my own wooden brackets or just buying metal ones? This is my inspiration at the moment. - And also this