Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Too much math and chemistry :(

Those are by far my worst subjects...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
They are my worst too. But then again my worst is still pretty good. :pwn:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I knew I wanted to be one when I learned I could make $200k a year.

Apparently we've reached job market saturation for crna's here in Florida. They've said you're lucky if you can even get a job making $125k/yr here now. I don't know though, it's only what I've heard.

I have a morbid chuckle when I think about how the lowest paid nurses on the totem pole are the ones expected to be providing vigilant care for very sick multiple pt's. Thankfully they continue to do so and don't walk out in unison. Seriously, what other full time, non-bedside specialty gets paid less than bedside nurses?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Aside from every mid-20 year old going for nursing (especially females) they all already plan on being a CRNA because they have an aunt that is one and they heard about the :homebrew:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Cacafuego posted:

Apparently we've reached job market saturation for crna's here in Florida. They've said you're lucky if you can even get a job making $125k/yr here now. I don't know though, it's only what I've heard.

Those loving retards did it to themselves by accepting those salaries. They're billing for $300k and getting raped by MDA's who are laughing all the way to the bank with the other $175k.

Texas you can usually get $160K in a big city easily. If you want the 200+ though you gotta go to smaller markets.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Aside from every mid-20 year old going for nursing (especially females) they all already plan on being a CRNA because they have an aunt that is one and they heard about the :homebrew:
Most people never end up going. They get pregnant or life gets in the way or they get comfortable. Or hell they are just not competitive applicants.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 6, 2015

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I was in the ER twice this past weekend for some post-surgery fun and it made me pretty excited to be a nurse. That might be dumb, but it kinda reinforced my feelings and I think this is going to be a really good and cool career for me. Just gotta get through Micro and get an acceptance letter from my school who won't stop loving around and it'll be smooth (heh) sailing.

Are any of you NPs or thinking about becoming NPs? That is probably the route I'd want to take eventually, and work in gastro or urology. Obviously CRNA for the cashoola would be p cool too, but see above responses.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This isn't directed towards you in any way but the worst patients are the ones who've barely started nursing school. Holy gently caress.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

This isn't directed towards you in any way but the worst patients are the ones who've barely started nursing school. Holy gently caress.

Even worse is when they are a family member of a patient.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Is it because they try to direct their own treatment since they just read about triage and pathophys? I definitely went out of my way not to do anything like that. The first group of nurses had never done the procedure required before so they needed a bit of coaching but I still just let them do their own thing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I love it when they're loving PCA's and pretend to be nurses and then look like deer in the headlights when you try to talk to them like you would to another ICU RN.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

They are my worst too. But then again my worst is still pretty good. :pwn:

I have great fact retention and critical thinking, but the more abstract something is the harder it comes to me.

I'm great with Biology, decent with chemistry, poor with physics, and absolutely terrible at math above Algebra.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

I have great fact retention and critical thinking, but the more abstract something is the harder it comes to me.

I'm great with Biology, decent with chemistry, poor with physics, and absolutely terrible at math above Algebra.

You don't need math above Algebra and chem is mostly fact retention especially your introductory carbon chemistry/names these amino acids poo poo which is as far as CRNA school takes you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Bum the Sad,

If I wanted to venture down the path of being a CRNA, do you think being in a neuro ICU would be sufficient? Or should I try moving laterally to a different ICU like the aforementioned STICU/CTICU?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Etrips posted:

Bum the Sad,

If I wanted to venture down the path of being a CRNA, do you think being in a neuro ICU would be sufficient? Or should I try moving laterally to a different ICU like the aforementioned STICU/CTICU?

Neuro ICU is kind of a joke but you know in the end any ICU is "sufficient." It may make it a lot harder to pass the CCRN as it's pretty heavily CV/Swan Ganz oriented. I'd recommend going to a surgical ICU if you could if only because you'll learn WAY more applicable poo poo.

My program jizzed over my GRE scores in the interviews(I got 95th percentile on my verbal) so that may be something to think about too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

You don't need math above Algebra and chem is mostly fact retention especially your introductory carbon chemistry/names these amino acids poo poo which is as far as CRNA school takes you.

Well poo poo. I thought I had decided on NP, but you're reopening old interests...

All a bit academic right now, since I haven't even taken NCLEX yet, nor gotten my BSN, but still... that money...

Although the broader scope and independence of NPs is really appealing in its own right.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

Are any of you NPs or thinking about becoming NPs? That is probably the route I'd want to take eventually, and work in gastro or urology. Obviously CRNA for the cashoola would be p cool too, but see above responses.
I'm starting a psych NP program in June.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Annath posted:

Well poo poo. I thought I had decided on NP, but you're reopening old interests...

All a bit academic right now, since I haven't even taken NCLEX yet, nor gotten my BSN, but still... that money...

Although the broader scope and independence of NPs is really appealing in its own right.

You don't need to be certain of anything regarding your future nursing career right now. Pass your boards, get a job, and after you get a decent amount of experience under your belt, then you can decide. Who knows, maybe you will hate critical care and fall in love with diabetic education or something weird... Don't look so far in the future that you forget to excel at your current job.

P.S. don't mention your future job prospects during an interview. Your employer wants to hire you for the position you're applying for, they don't give a poo poo about being your bridge to NP or CRNA school. You can mention furthering your education with CCRN or ACLS or something, but only mention stuff within the scope of your current degree.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 6, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bum the Sad posted:

Neuro ICU is kind of a joke but you know in the end any ICU is "sufficient." It may make it a lot harder to pass the CCRN as it's pretty heavily CV/Swan Ganz oriented. I'd recommend going to a surgical ICU if you could if only because you'll learn WAY more applicable poo poo.

My program jizzed over my GRE scores in the interviews(I got 95th percentile on my verbal) so that may be something to think about too.

Yeah that is what I kind of figured. And just my luck looking at my hospitals website there is a position open for STICU! Hopefully it will still be there next month when I am eligible to transfer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit nevermind

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 8, 2015

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Erm, not sure exactly how this works but apparently you can get the kaplan nclex-rn test prep for free for a year (among others)

E: I'm assuming the link is a no no

Holy poo poo, worked like a charm for me!

Click the NCLEX link, entered the answer they asked for, BAM, made a Kaplan account, BAM

Now I have another NCLEX prep course in addition to the one we get as part of our $1000 package from ATI.

Annath fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 8, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

-edit nevermind

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 8, 2015

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I signed up and am now trying to remove my account - don't want to get in trouble with Kaplan since there might be some sort of copyright infringement issues. Want to make sure I don't get kaplan blacklisted or SUED if there is an issue. Just got off the phone with a CS rep who removed it for me, guess I'll do things the expensive way in the future!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah I signed up and am now trying to remove my account - don't want to get in trouble with Kaplan since there might be some sort of copyright infringement issues. Want to make sure I don't get kaplan blacklisted or SUED if there is an issue. Just got off the phone with a CS rep who removed it for me, guess I'll do things the expensive way in the future!

Wait this isn't some kind of coupon deal? I assumed that was what the code words were.

I may have sent that link to some of my less financially blessed classmates...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 19, 2016

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah I thought it was some kind of promo. Especially since it was on slickdeals. My bad. Probably going to call to have it removed from my account as well

No worries. I'm gonna call first thing tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have to figure out how many people actually used the link...

Though if it's not a coupon, what is with the coupon code type thing?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 19, 2016

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah the rep I talked to said the code was for users who had books to plug in, but was pretty confused. I told her "I found it on a deal site but after reading the ToS it seems like something I shouldn't have been able to use." She removed it from my account and said not to worry about it. The ToS were clear too it was only if you ACCESSED it that there might be an issue. Honestly I'm sure it is nothing to worry about, but I wanted to make sure I can use Kaplan if I need to in the future.

Heard from others applying to my local program (not OHSU) that we should hear this week. Apparently the administration has gone through some major changes since October so things are generally just hosed up. It seems like this is the norm for most programs and stuff I've heard about through you guys, why are nursing programs so lovely to run?

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Iron Lung posted:

It seems like this is the norm for most programs and stuff I've heard about through you guys, why are nursing programs so lovely to run?

Yes. Maybe it's all just to get you ready for a work environment that will be similarly disorganized on many levels.

Madame Psychosis fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 9, 2015

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Madame Psychosis posted:

Yes. Maybe it's all just to get you ready for a work environment that will be similarly disorganized on many levels.

Many times we have noticed the general disorganization at Nursing school. If only the professors just talked to each other....

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

Many times we have noticed the general disorganization at Nursing school hospital. If only the professors administrators, doctors and nurse managers just talked to each other....

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Etrips posted:

Bum the Sad,

I know a guy who went the military route for CRNA training and spent 6 years on a neuro ICU prior to that. It's totally doable.

Littlepuppingtoto
Dec 24, 2009
Is anyone else here a NICU nurse?

Also, editing to ask: I graduated in May 2014 and had two job offers before even graduating/taking the NCLEX. I got both and accepted the NICU position, and I'm pretty sure 100% of my graduating class got jobs immediately... This area has an ABUNDANCE of new grad orientation programs. This was an accelerated, second degree program. My fiance would like to go to nursing school next year, but he has multiple Bachelor's degrees (nuclear medicine, health science) but hasn't been very successful in finding jobs in his area... he has been a medical assistant for the last 5+ years. He is going to go to an Associate's program (where he has taken all of his prereqs)... his GPA probably isn't good enough, honestly, for him to get into an accelerated.

I know here, ASNs can't really get jobs all that easily, although he's more than willing to to LTC, as he also has his CNA license and has experience in that as well. We're thinking he can enroll in a RN-BSN program when he applies, so at least he can say that he's getting his BSN. What do you guys think? Should he take the plunge? We're saving up now so we can cash-flow his admission to the program next year, and we're putting money aside so we have savings to account for him not working for 2 years (the ASN program length). Is this route worth it? Have you guys found that ASN-educated nurses can get some kind of job?

Littlepuppingtoto fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 9, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Littlepuppingtoto posted:

I know here, ASNs can't really get jobs all that easily, although he's more than willing to to LTC, as he also has his CNA license and has experience in that as well. We're thinking he can enroll in a RN-BSN program when he applies, so at least he can say that he's getting his BSN. What do you guys think? Should he take the plunge? We're saving up now so we can cash-flow his admission to the program next year, and we're putting money aside so we have savings to account for him not working for 2 years (the ASN program length). Is this route worth it? Have you guys found that ASN-educated nurses can get some kind of job?

3 years ago, my employer changed their hiring practices (in pursuit of Magnet status). Each unit was told to pursue (or maintain) a certain percentage of ADNs to BSNs. Depending on where a unit found its staff at that time, they could afford to hire a few, or zero ADNs. My supervisor described splitting resumes into 4 piles; ADNs vs BSNs, and relevant experienced vs not. New grad ADNs went into the trash, experienced ADNs went into a dark corner of his filing system. BSNs were considered for interviews.

Your plan is plausible. I would advise you to investigate traditional BSN for him as well. I used to advise people to get their RN (regardless of degree) at the earliest reasonable date, to start working [as an RN] as promptly as possible. For the same reason, I now advise people to speak with likely employers and consider pursuing BSN.

Not sure where your 'here' is; I'm in SE Michigan.

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 10, 2015

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
my 'here' is South Central Kentucky and I am an ADN trained nurse (Halfway through my RN-BSN) but I would say at least 50% of our nurses are ADN if not more. So there are options out there!

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

It depends on what part of the country you're in, but the trend is definitely heading towards phasing out ADNs in hospital environments. Echoing what others have said about trying to get a BSN ASAP (although you said he was fine with LTC/SNF/ALF, which are more accepting of non-BSN nurses). To put it in perspective, the 600 bed hospital I work at needs roughly 50 nursing positions filled yesterday and they're still not looking at non-BSN applicants.

In a related note, I'm getting burned out from working short staffed all the time. Anyone work in a non-hospital setting (home health? cruise ship nurse?) and want to talk about your job? I need a "grass is greener" injection.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

In a related note, I'm getting burned out from working short staffed all the time. Anyone work in a non-hospital setting (home health? cruise ship nurse?) and want to talk about your job? I need a "grass is greener" injection.

Enter the wonderful world of research where I work m-f with almost no pt contact or stress and get paid 1.5x what I did on the floor and have all holidays off. Our big dilemma during the day is which place to get food from in the area for lunch.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Oh man, phone interview in 5 min.

Gone over/written up all the most common questions, have my resume pulled up, still nervous as hell. First real job interview ever(retail "do you have reliable transportation" doesn't count).

:ohdear:

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Cacafuego posted:

Enter the wonderful world of research where I work m-f with almost no pt contact or stress and get paid 1.5x what I did on the floor and have all holidays off. Our big dilemma during the day is which place to get food from in the area for lunch.

Tell me more about this, because I miss doing research :allears:. This is definitely something I'm considering post-grad/a few years of experience!

Annath posted:

Oh man, phone interview in 5 min.

Gone over/written up all the most common questions, have my resume pulled up, still nervous as hell. First real job interview ever(retail "do you have reliable transportation" doesn't count).

:ohdear:

You're gonna be fine bud, just relax and take it easy - it sounds like you're really well prepared. Good luck!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Iron Lung posted:

Tell me more about this, because I miss doing research :allears:. This is definitely something I'm considering post-grad/a few years of experience!

You're gonna be fine bud, just relax and take it easy - it sounds like you're really well prepared. Good luck!

Just wrapped it up. It went fantastic!!

Quite short, but no stammering or stuttering on my part!

Also, at the end, I asked her what qualities the "ideal" new grad applicant should have, and she literally said "a lot of things you already touched on, such as a passion for learning and a desire to just 'get in there' and help where it is needed". That can only mean good things, right?!

They're going to pass applications on to Dept. Managers at the end of the week, and the interviewer said she will send an email if our application is not going to be considered. Otherwise, we will be contacted by the individual departments to set up interviews with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Nursing informatics here, working in a medium size hospital. Background is bedside med-surg and ICU. There is zero stress for me. Monday-Friday 8-430 and it's no biggie if I have to leave early or come in late as long as the work gets done. When it gets boring from time to time, I just go walk the floors and am reminded of how good I have it. :dance: