Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

'Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
drat.

Pratchett dominated my reading lists in my adolescents and is still my favorite author. I know most of Discworld was kind of wrapped up by this point but I still wish I could read about a few the characters one more time. :smith:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

RIP Terry

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
RIP Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Rincewind and all the wizards, the City Watch, and Death himself :(

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rᴇᴍɪɴᴅ ᴍᴇ ʜᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴏʀsᴇ-sʜᴀᴘᴇᴅ ᴏɴᴇs ᴍᴏᴠᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ? I ᴄᴀɴ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Man this sucks :(

RIP Terry

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well, that's a bit of an embuggerance :(

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
First Sam Simon, now Terry Pratchett. Bad week for a kid who spent multiple summers watching The Simpsons reruns all day and reading Discworld paperbacks all night. This is how I felt when Kurt Vonnegut died, a small part of me is missing now. The impact Pratchett had on my world view is immeasurable, I know I would not be the same person if I had not picked up an anthology of short stories with one written by a guy named Terry years ago.

Talk about a bummer two days before I'm going on vacation. I don't even want to go to work today, but I guess I can't tell them someone I never met died and I need to go cry a bunch.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
drat, I guess I'll try to write some today. Feels like the only real kind of homage I could make, as shallow and threadbare as it is by comparison. :(

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Is the Long Earth worth looking at?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Well this is pretty dreadful. Knowing it was coming hasn't made it any better, though going out on his own terms does...

Sir Terry's writing have been a huge part of my life for decades now. I just finished re-reading Small Gods yesterday in fact. But I think that I'll be able to move on from sadness at his passing to tremendous gratitude for what he'd written, because that's what he deserves. Thank you.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Mort said it best.

quote:

Tʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴍᴇ

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Oh man I just noticed the thread title :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

His writings really helped me get through some tough times in my life and as corny as it sounds changed the way I looked at the world.

drat it hits hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is it the proper time for a eulogy? I got Night Watch as a Christmas gift from a distant cousin when I was maybe 14 or 15. Most of what I read at the time was that sort of generic fantasy trite most people gorge themselves on at that age, and opening up Night Watch was like getting served a steak dinner by comparison. Even though I hadn't a clue who any of these people were, I got an immediate grasp of the world and how the people there fit into it. It was uproariously funny - funnier than any other book I had read by that time - and it was dark. All the stuff I'd read in the past that had tried to be "dark" had missed it by a country mile, and it only became obvious when presented with lines like:

quote:

In this room there was a big wooden chair. In this room there was, by the chair, a rack. The chair was bolted to the floor. It had wide leather straps. The rack held clubs and hammers. In this room, that was all the furnishings.

The floor was dark and sticky. Down the length of it, a gully ran to a drain.

Boards had been nailed over the tiny window at street level. This wasn't a place where light was welcomed. And all the walls, and even the ceiling, were padded heavily with sacks stuffed with straw. Sacks had even been nailed to the door. This was a very thorough cell. Not even sound was meant to escape.

A couple of torches did nothing at all for the darkness except make it dirty.

I hope I'm not the only one who mostly appreciates these books for how they never tried to shy away from uncomfortable issues. Pratchett knew how to leaven the darker moments of his books with an appropriate amount of humor (e.g. when he kills Wolfgang at the end of The Fifth Elephant), and he rarely let the things descend into pure silliness. More than that, he specifically wanted to deal with the sort of things that most fantasy authors were content to let pass by. Yes, there were themes of love, and sacrifice, and all the other stock standard elements, but these were books that also dealt heavily with racism, nationalism, police violence, faith, revolutions, politics, economics, feminism, and a whole bevvy of other topics that most people would be afraid of bringing up. They would occasionally dip into outright sermonizing, but were otherwise built with that kind of subtle, fantastical style of Johnathan Swift that Pratchett inherited. Even the "preachy" parts, to me, were part of what made the books interesting and worth reading. Pratchett wasn't shy about letting his ethics poke through his work, and you could tell that he saw engaging with the issues of his times as part of his author's duty, rather than trying to present a "disinterested" or "neutral" artistry.

If I had to give my biggest inspiration for any writing that I do, it's Pratchett. More than anything, I think he opened my mind to the possibilities of fiction. He proved over and over that it's possible to tell a drat good story that tugs you in six different directions at once at the same time that you're giving the audience something substantial to think about.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Goddamn Particle posted:

Oh man I just noticed the thread title :(

Oh, man.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

RIP :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Vermain posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who mostly appreciates these books for how they never tried to shy away from uncomfortable issues. Pratchett knew how to leaven the darker moments of his books with an appropriate amount of humor (e.g. when he kills Wolfgang at the end of The Fifth Elephant), and he rarely let the things descend into pure silliness. More than that, he specifically wanted to deal with the sort of things that most fantasy authors were content to let pass by. Yes, there were themes of love, and sacrifice, and all the other stock standard elements, but these were books that also dealt heavily with racism, nationalism, police violence, faith, revolutions, politics, economics, feminism, and a whole bevvy of other topics that most people would be afraid of bringing up. They would occasionally dip into outright sermonizing, but were otherwise built with that kind of subtle, fantastical style of Johnathan Swift that Pratchett inherited. Even the "preachy" parts, to me, were part of what made the books interesting and worth reading. Pratchett wasn't shy about letting his ethics poke through his work, and you could tell that he saw engaging with the issues of his times as part of his author's duty, rather than trying to present a "disinterested" or "neutral" artistry.

This is one of the things that always amazed me most. Look at The Hogfather. The premise is absurd, but it works amazingly well because Pratchett made his readers care about his characters, and the world they lived in.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
gently caress fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress.

It's been so long since the first diagnosis that I had almost slipped into complacent wishful thinking that the books would just keep coming.

There's still so much room on my shelf for him.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Words In The Heart Cannot Be Taken

WHAT MORE CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, BUT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN

The turtle moves

Etc etc etc

I knew I could rely on this thread to have remembered the quotes that were elusively slipping away from me as I walked into a bleak, cold wind that drew tears from my eyes, on my way home from work; the inspiring, intriguing, heartfelt, funny, cool words that put better what I feel than I ever could. The world is a poorer, less funny, less clever place, for the absence of a man whose words have, perhaps more than any other's, shaped my childhood, my adolescence and my adulthood. I could always rely on Pratchett, from my youngest days, to lighten a mood, cheer up a train journey, make me laugh, smile, think, and occasionally, cry. I feel like I've lost an old friend. I know that's daft, maybe, I met him all of once (he presented my bronze Duke of Edinburgh's award, and signed my programme; I'm pretty sure I lost it) but nonetheless, I've probably read more of his words than anyone else's.

Is it strange to think he's met an old friend, now? Rihanna's tweet made me think that. Death is his longest-running character, after all.

I will miss him.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bugger. Lot of death happening around me of late. I'm a late comer to the Discworld books but still sad news. Best to his family.

NO YOU HAVE ALREADY WRITTEN QUITE ENOUGH WOULDN'T YOU SAY? COME ALONG NOW.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

When I was 14, I responded to one of those "Sci-fi Book Club" things where you get 5 books for a dollar, and then they send you books every month at full price. I had every intention of cancelling after I got my super-cheap books, but, being 14, I promptly forgot to do so. At the beginning of the next month, I received a book titled "Men at Arms" by an author I'd never heard of. The cover was downright silly, and the descriptive blurb made no sense to me at the time.

Still, I was going to have to pay for it...so I figured I might as read it. I fell in love pretty much immediately, and never stopped being a fan. Pratchett's writing made fantasy something more than I got from other authors. It was well-written, and hilarious, and showed me that fantasy could teach you things about society, people, and yourself. And it did it in a much different way than something as heavy-handed as Sword of Truth (though Terry could get heavy-handed from time to time, it still wasn't as glaring or as galling as being beat over the head by Goodkind).

The Watch books have always been my favorite. Likely because that's the characters I was first introduced to, but the entire Death series is a close second in my heart. Nothing has really helped me come to terms with my own mortality quite like those books. It likely sounds cliche at this point, but Discworld and its inhabitants shaped who I am in a lot of ways. "Jingo" really opened my eyes to the danger of Nationalism and Jingoists. The near-constant undercurrent of the various races and species vying for their civil rights made me look at the same fight in the real world with a different set of eyes than the ones I had been raised with in the deep south of America. "The Truth" drove home how powerful the written word can be, and the lengths some will go to to stop it. I could go on, and on.

I feel like a family member has passed, and burst into tears when I read the news...though I'd been dreading it for some time. RIP Sir Terry, and know that your ripples spread far and wide.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 12, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
In 2005 Terry Pratchett was nominated for a Hugo, which he almost certainly would have won. He turned it down, on the basis that while he appreciated the esteem, it would do little to further his career, whereas the nomination spot or win could help a newer and less established author immensely.

Very kind man

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
RIP :(

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Words In The Heart Cannot Be Taken

The way they announced it on twitter was the best. It is what he wanted. Its a god damned shame. Today is going to be a rough day.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Vermain posted:

Is it the proper time for a eulogy? I got Night Watch as a Christmas gift from a distant cousin when I was maybe 14 or 15. Most of what I read at the time was that sort of generic fantasy trite most people gorge themselves on at that age, and opening up Night Watch was like getting served a steak dinner by comparison. Even though I hadn't a clue who any of these people were, I got an immediate grasp of the world and how the people there fit into it. It was uproariously funny - funnier than any other book I had read by that time - and it was dark.

Oh good lord, Night Watch. I still get chills every time reading the confrontation between Vimes and Swing in the Cable Street Watch House and the final fight between the lilac lads and Carcer's men in the alley.

Send it back into the dark until you need it...

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
I am being 100% sincere when I say that getting into Discworld at age 13 fundamentally changed me for the better.

I know lots of you can relate so I'm just going to leave it at that.

RIP.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Guess it's time to start reading again from the beginning.

Are the British versions of his ebooks notably higher quality than the American ones? A lot of HarperCollins stuff seems to be a bit iffy, especially ebooks that were made at the beginning of the ebook era.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

:( I remember reading every one of his books then handing them to my dad to read and later just sitting and talking about them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

supermikhail posted:

drat, I guess I'll try to write some today. Feels like the only real kind of homage I could make, as shallow and threadbare as it is by comparison. :(

“Writing is the most fun you can have by yourself.” :unsmith:

It's also the best homage we could make, too, and I would do it if I knew how.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I haven't read Discworld since I was a teenager but this news still hit me pretty hard. :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Little Advice For Life

I have been blessed with good fortune in my life. I've turned a passion into a profession, and those who know me know that I know that they know that I still enjoy it immensely. Through what some might call my 'craft' I've brought interesting characters and worlds to life and through the power of words I have, I hope, shone a little light into some of the darker corners of the human condition. I've always maintained that it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. But my prime purpose has always been to tell good stories. The fact that people seem to like them is simply a bonus.

While I may have ten doctorates (who's counting?), I confess that I never had the educational opportunities people have today. I never attended or completed university; my learning came from doing and from reading and from experiencing life as a husband, father and journalist. I have occasionally been accused of literature. Some say I have a pack-rat mind, and I've learned over time to put this to good use - sharing my knowledge in the way that I know best, through my stories. In university parlance, this is known as knowledge transfer and I, right here and now, would like to transfer some of my knowledge over to you.

I know first hand that Fate can be cruel and unusual at times, but she is hardly ever deliberately malicious: she just suffers from bad timing in the main, so use your gifts and your talents to greatest possible effect while you can. Spread joy whenever possible. Laugh at jokes. Tell jokes. Make puns and bugger the embuggerances. Read books. Read
my books. You might like them. You might find something else you like even more than them. Look for these things in life.

Question authority. Champion good causes. Speak out against injustice. Do not tolerate bullies or bigots or racists or anti-intellectuals or the narrow minded. Use your education to challenge them. Broaden their perspectives. Make the world you interface with a happier place.

These are your choices. Choices you have been fortunate enough to have been given, so don't waste them while you have them. Don't look back in years to come and wish you had grasped a fleeting opportunity. Grasp it now with both hands. Live. Strive. Love.

I don't smoke, but Sam Vimes enjoys a cigar or two and there's possibly more of me in Sir Samuel than in any other player on my pages. He would probably tsk at so blatant a plug for good. He's been known to harness darkness, but he puts it to good use. Love changed his life and life is now something that he loves. I believe that the sum of our experiences, good and bad, is what makes us who we are. That has the making of real magic. Please. Go out into this world and experience its wonders.

We live in interesting times and so it is best to enjoy the journey while you can. I find the occasional brandy helps. Good luck!

The End [1]

- TP

[1] Or perhaps I should say, 'To be continued...'

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Oh hell. Guess it's time to find the few Discworld books I haven't managed to get around reading.

I still maintain that the Death half of Reaper Man is some of the best he ever wrote. I can never remember the other half with the wizards, but the parts with Death are still as clear in my mind as if I read it yesterday. I'll never forget the first time I read Death's plea to Azrael. Helped me through an emotionally rough patch when I was a teen.

THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.

That always helped somehow.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Jedit posted:

A Little Advice For Life

I have been blessed with good fortune in my life. I've turned a passion into a profession, and those who know me know that I know that they know that I still enjoy it immensely. Through what some might call my 'craft' I've brought interesting characters and worlds to life and through the power of words I have, I hope, shone a little light into some of the darker corners of the human condition. I've always maintained that it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. But my prime purpose has always been to tell good stories. The fact that people seem to like them is simply a bonus.

While I may have ten doctorates (who's counting?), I confess that I never had the educational opportunities people have today. I never attended or completed university; my learning came from doing and from reading and from experiencing life as a husband, father and journalist. I have occasionally been accused of literature. Some say I have a pack-rat mind, and I've learned over time to put this to good use - sharing my knowledge in the way that I know best, through my stories. In university parlance, this is known as knowledge transfer and I, right here and now, would like to transfer some of my knowledge over to you.

I know first hand that Fate can be cruel and unusual at times, but she is hardly ever deliberately malicious: she just suffers from bad timing in the main, so use your gifts and your talents to greatest possible effect while you can. Spread joy whenever possible. Laugh at jokes. Tell jokes. Make puns and bugger the embuggerances. Read books. Read
my books. You might like them. You might find something else you like even more than them. Look for these things in life.

Question authority. Champion good causes. Speak out against injustice. Do not tolerate bullies or bigots or racists or anti-intellectuals or the narrow minded. Use your education to challenge them. Broaden their perspectives. Make the world you interface with a happier place.

These are your choices. Choices you have been fortunate enough to have been given, so don't waste them while you have them. Don't look back in years to come and wish you had grasped a fleeting opportunity. Grasp it now with both hands. Live. Strive. Love.

I don't smoke, but Sam Vimes enjoys a cigar or two and there's possibly more of me in Sir Samuel than in any other player on my pages. He would probably tsk at so blatant a plug for good. He's been known to harness darkness, but he puts it to good use. Love changed his life and life is now something that he loves. I believe that the sum of our experiences, good and bad, is what makes us who we are. That has the making of real magic. Please. Go out into this world and experience its wonders.

We live in interesting times and so it is best to enjoy the journey while you can. I find the occasional brandy helps. Good luck!

The End [1]

- TP

[1] Or perhaps I should say, 'To be continued...'

Oh man. I was just about holding it together, but this did it for me. :smith:

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Konec Hry posted:

I am being 100% sincere when I say that getting into Discworld at age 13 fundamentally changed me for the better.

I know lots of you can relate so I'm just going to leave it at that.

RIP.

I was about the same age when I started reading him.

I was babysitting my step-mom's niece and nephew, and brought along a Hitchhiker's Guide collection to read. Their British mother saw it, asked if I'd read it before, then brought out The Color of Magic for me to read when I said yes. I read some of it that night and enjoyed it, so she pulled out the next four books (The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, Mort, and Sourcery) and let me borrow all five of them, along with a little dictionary of Discworld people, places, and things. And that was it. He quickly became my favorite author. I've read and re-read his books so many times now.

But it has been a long time since I've read Reaper Man. Guess it's time to break that one out again.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

In 2005 Terry Pratchett was nominated for a Hugo, which he almost certainly would have won. He turned it down, on the basis that while he appreciated the esteem, it would do little to further his career, whereas the nomination spot or win could help a newer and less established author immensely.

Very kind man

Actually that was because he didn't want the suspense of waiting to see if he won the reward and instead just wanted to enjoy himself in the lead up to the award, which is honestly a much better reason.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
“Sometimes I get nice letters from people who know they're due to meet him (Death) soon, and hope I've got him right. Those are the kind of letters that cause me to stare at the wall for some time.” - The Art of Discworld

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm glad the first and last Pratchett books I read were ones I enjoyed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just got my wife and youngest to start reading him. I'm going to reread several of them next week.