Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Rei enjoying a nice Black Egg and looking loving thrilled with herself is the best thing :kimchi:

Kevin Spacey held onto a black egg in this season of House of Cards... CONNECTION!?!?!!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Kevin Spacey held onto a black egg in this season of House of Cards... CONNECTION!?!?!!?

Since Robin Williams as Gendo won't happen now, we'll have to settle for Kevin Spacey.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Midjack posted:

Since Robin Williams as Gendo won't happen now, we'll have to settle for Kevin Spacey.

There's always Robert Downey Jr.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Shinji finally made his own decisions after a philosophical talk about watermelons with Mr. Ladykiller.

[:dogbutton:] The boss battle with razor ribbon arms was the tits, except until everyone started getting their arms and head and limbs chopped off effortlessly. And now im regretting my Redbubble sticker I bought of Unit 01 tonight because its actually some titan-giant thing that grows human arms and probably legs and other nasty bits and also roars like a dinosaur? What in the hell was that all about? Why did it have to eat the Angel heart? :stonk: Are these things like zombies that just became self aware once the poo hit the fan? That was actually pretty disgusting. And poor Shinji, im pretty sure the melon peptalk is pretty much forgotten by him now. [/:dogbutton:]

http://i.imgur.com/HbM5fiH.png
I'm starting to miss the cicadas now. :smith:

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are you watching it dubbed or subbed? If it's the sub, it's actually something cooler than dinosaur roaring. It's also kind of a blatant hint about Unit-01's true nature, so I'll leave it in spoilers.

It's Megumi Hayashibara screaming and grunting, and then the audio track was slowed down to distort it. http://www.mediafire.com/listen/7d1ubwjc7z7z6dv/Megumi+Hayashibara+is+Eva-01.mp3

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Well I guess being kids didn't stop the onslaught of anime boobs. Why do they keep repeating the same animation? This is kinda like the Arsenal Gear portion of MGS2. Oh and I guess Shinji got absorbed into the Eva, all remains is his suit. Being deprived of sleep doesn't make this any better. :rip:

What did Ladykiller stick inside Misato? Why was that so awkward? The pill? :stare:

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Please note the animation budget disintegrates to near-nothing at one point. Gendo's famous pose, in addition to looking sinister, means they never have to animation his mouth or eyes during those scenes.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I'm really looking forward to hearing what fresh blood thinks of End of Evangelion. I recently rewatched it (first time in a decade) and I really, really like the ending that it forms in combination with the TV ending.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Please note the animation budget disintegrates to near-nothing at one point. Gendo's famous pose, in addition to looking sinister, means they never have to animation his mouth or eyes during those scenes.

Their CEO got busted for tax fraud and they got hit with a big fine for that last episode when Unit-01 chowed down on the Angel. I've seen shows like Higurashi start running on fumes around this point, but there are parts where the shortcuts actually become kind of laughable.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Hocus Pocus posted:

I'm really looking forward to hearing what fresh blood thinks of End of Evangelion. I recently rewatched it (first time in a decade) and I really, really like the ending that it forms in combination with the TV ending.

Bad news pal, he doesn't have it and apparently can't get it. I told him this at the very start, that he'd need the movie in addition to the series, but he didn't listen.

I've been working through the series since I pressured Avocados to watch it, and it definitely benefits from a rewatch. I just watched it for the first time about a year ago, but there's still a lot that happens that I'd apparently forgotten in that time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kavak posted:

Their CEO got busted for tax fraud and they got hit with a big fine for that last episode when Unit-01 chowed down on the Angel. I've seen shows like Higurashi start running on fumes around this point, but there are parts where the shortcuts actually become kind of laughable.

Like the Next Episode preview that's nothign but storyboards.

First time I watched Evangelion was the french dub. It's alright: first few episodes are really stilted but actors get better as the show goes along. It's got my favorite Gendo.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Cronodoculous posted:

Bad news pal, he doesn't have it and apparently can't get it. I told him this at the very start, that he'd need the movie in addition to the series, but he didn't listen.

I've been working through the series since I pressured Avocados to watch it, and it definitely benefits from a rewatch. I just watched it for the first time about a year ago, but there's still a lot that happens that I'd apparently forgotten in that time.

Yo Avocados, why the hell did you not listen to your pal Cronodoculous here? End of Eva is a necessity.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny how they call the Evas biomechanical weapons in the first episode but everybody seems to miss it (myself included). Then its a huge shock when you realize what they actually are.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Shinji finally made his own decisions after a philosophical talk about watermelons.

Bear this episode in mind when you eventually watch the rebuilds.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

notZaar posted:

It's funny how they call the Evas biomechanical weapons in the first episode but everybody seems to miss it (myself included). Then its a huge shock when you realize what they actually are.

And there's constant signs throughout the series of an intelligence underneath the armor, and the pilots linking directly into the nervous system, and that something in there is trying to primitively communicate and protect them... (well except Unit 00 which is a whooole other story)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also Eva 01 has a mouth and it bites things.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They call it a biomechanical weapon and then in the same episode they say brain case and a giant gout of blood geysers from its head.

Then in the next episode it has a big organic eye thing that does hosed up poo poo when it looks at Shinji.

Idk how you can forget that they are "biomechanical".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To be fair it's easy to dismiss that kind of thing as standard techno-babble until the actual implications sink in.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The eye literally regrows in the hosed up socket in plain view.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
if you dont watch end of eva you didnt watch eva

http://bakabt.me/140303-shinseiki-evangelion-gekijouban-the-end-of-evangelion-zx.html

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mind you, the Eva face we see in episode two doesn't look very human, and the list of body parts is basically a clue hidden in plain sight.

Pureauthor posted:

Actually, you can see the corners of his mouth curving, just a little bit. Incredible.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure at 14:37 in episode 6 the blue Eva lets out what is curiously similar to a "fart".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mindblast posted:

The eye literally regrows in the hosed up socket in plain view.

There are hints for sure but all that stuff is easily dismissed at first viewing as typical anime horror schlock.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're right, it took me a while to really understand what was going on with the evas. I think ritsuko's lines about "it's breaking free!" in episode um 19? Were when it started to all come together and make me :stare:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Yesss new blood! I don't care how, you GOTTA watch End Of Evangelion and then Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22, and 3.33.

You can skip the following movies if you want:

Death And Rebirth
Death(True)
Death(True)2
Revival Of Evangelion

Death is the first 24 episodes cut down to a mere 70 mins clip show. There IS some new footage though. However, the later released NGE episodes [Directors Cut] adds those back into the tv show where they belong.

Rebirth is the first 33% of End Of Evangelion, so if you're gonna watch EoE there's no point on seeing Rebirth.

Death (True) is the same version as Death but with the new footage taken out.

Death (True)2 is yet another cut of the same.

Revival Of Evangelion is yet ANOTHER cut with an important detail about Gendo's hand.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The important detail is that he's always fondling himself: that is why it's always in his pocket.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus is that where the Gendo's hand thing is from? I kind of assimilated the knowledge from somewhere but had no idea where it had actually come from originally, I just assumed it was a tiny detail or part of an infodump I kept missing somehow.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Just finished it 26.

I dont know. I need to go outside. It feels weird being inside.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Avocados posted:

Just finished it 26.

I dont know. I need to go outside. It feels weird being inside.

That was precisely the message Anno was trying to send.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Avocados posted:

I need to go outside. It feels weird being inside.

Congratulations!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Even though im not sure what happened at all with the last two episodes, it actually made a really deep impact on some things I've experienced. I think i'm going to enjoy my spring break and then go back to this when school is in session.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Noooooooooo watch End of Evangelion sometime relatively soon. It might not make you feel better but it's good poo poo.

Edit: It's not canon or anything but to me EOE is what's happening outside of Shinji's head during the TV show ending. And it's pretty fuckin neato.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

My current preferred viewing order is EoE first, then episodes 25 and 26.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Experimental Viewing Order (How I'm going to do my next one)
Eps 1-8 > Rebuild 1> Episodes 8-19 > Rebuild 2 > Episodes 20-24 > End of Eva >Episodes 25 -26 > Rebuild 3

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Noooooooooo watch End of Evangelion sometime relatively soon. It might not make you feel better but it's good poo poo.

Edit: It's not canon or anything but to me EOE is what's happening outside of Shinji's head during the TV show ending. And it's pretty fuckin neato.

25 and 26 contain single shots of scenes in EOE, so even if the timelines don't exactly match up, I think this is the intent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't even tell people to gently caress with the originals anymore, straight to remake and go backwards if you thought part 1 and 2 were really cool. I love them and all but unless the persons already into powering through old low budget anime I'd rather just let them enjoy the new new. Clue them into the looping timeline theories if they really like it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 14, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh, I guess it depends on what kind of person you're recommending them to. I view Rebuild as a response to the public's response to the original series (And not a timeloop at all or anything like that), so I probably never would tell someone just straight to skip to those unless they're the type that just wants some very pretty action scenes (Which Rebuild has in spades).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Raxivace posted:

I view Rebuild as a response to the public's response to the original series (And not a timeloop at all or anything like that)

Can't it be both? I think the evidence for the latter is pretty overwhelming at this point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't even tell people to gently caress with the originals anymore, straight to remake and go backwards if you thought part 1 and 2 were really cool. I love them and all but unless the persons already into powering through old low budget anime I'd rather just let them enjoy the new new. Clue them into the looping timeline theories if they really like it.

"Old low budget anime" isn't really fair. Evangelion has some absolutely spectacular animation in the early and middle episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well, it could be both in the sense that anything could happen in the last movie. Shinji could move in with the Simpsons in a post-apocalyptic Springfield for all we know.

That being said I feel there's little evidence for a time loop specifically at this point. Like Rebuild has a lot of references to the original series, but what about them specifically screams timeloop? The closest association I can think of is the "Komm Susser Todd" song in EOE having lines like "I wish that I could turn back time/cuz now the guilt is all mine" but that would be a bit of a stretch IMO, and you'd have to think Anno was a creator more along the lines of someone like Hideo Kojima.