Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Oh boy, accidentally saw my comatose friend's boobs. Better lock the door and jack off right freaking here since no one is here to stop me :stare:

(seriously, what in the hell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Avocados posted:

Oh boy, accidentally saw my comatose friend's boobs. Better lock the door and jack off right freaking here since no one is here to stop me :stare:

sexual frustration~

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
hes a 4 liter horny boy :angel:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Avocados posted:

He was so hosed up.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Avocados posted:

Yeah it is really hosed up that Asuka and Shinji are friends because they have no one else...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are they ever going to explain the vat full of Rei clones which are now dissolved into disembodied heads and limbs and guts? Also I think Rei died like twice in the series,do they just pump out a new Rei every time the other one bites the dust? Does this start making any more sense once the remakes are watched?

e:Is Shinji being in the hunched-over-chair-face-in-palms-fetal-position thing another way to save animation costs and time, or is he just that much of a wuss

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 15, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Avocados posted:

Truly the Y Tu Mamá También of its era.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I think everyone goes through a questioning phase like this.

Its adorable.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Avocados posted:

Are they ever going to explain the vat full of Rei clones which are now dissolved into disembodied heads and limbs and guts? Also I think Rei died like twice in the series,do they just pump out a new Rei every time the other one bites the dust? Does this start making any more sense once the remakes are watched?

Through the TV show there are 3 Reis that you see. The one you first meet in episode 1 is Rei 2. Rei 1 is killed by Ritsuko's mother while Rei was a child. Once Rei 2 sacrifices herself to save Shinji you will notice a dramatic character shift when Rei "comes out of the hospital" and Rei 3 is introduced. The implication is that if Rei 2 hadn't died to save Shinji and Rei 3 hadn't been born without the memories and emotional bonds forged by Rei 2 much of the bad stuff that goes down later on probably wouldn't have turned out that way.

So to answer your questions: there's no need to explain it at this point, it was a self-destruct feature activated maliciously, yes, that's exactly what they do, and no the remakes aren't necessary.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

muike posted:

Through the TV show there are 3 Reis that you see. The one you first meet in episode 1 is Rei 2. Rei 1 is killed by Ritsuko's mother while Rei was a child. Once Rei 2 sacrifices herself to save Shinji you will notice a dramatic character shift when Rei "comes out of the hospital" and Rei 3 is introduced. The implication is that if Rei 2 hadn't died to save Shinji and Rei 3 hadn't been born without the memories and emotional bonds forged by Rei 2 much of the bad stuff that goes down later on probably wouldn't have turned out that way.

So to answer your questions: there's no need to explain it at this point, it was a self-destruct feature activated maliciously, yes, that's exactly what they do, and no the remakes aren't necessary.
IIRC, the clones also formed the core of the dummy plug system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Avocados posted:

Make sense? It sounds like you already understand perfectly. :v:

Rei is a clone of Shinji's mother. They look exactly alike except for age and hair color, and Rei occasionally has episodes where she feels "another Rei" hovering at the edge of her consciousness -- particularly when she's asked to test-pilot Unit-01. The first Rei died when Ritsuko's mother (who was having an affair with Gendo) murdered her out of jealousy. The second Rei died during Armisael's attack in episode 23. However, there's only one soul between the three of them, and that soul came from Lilith in the same way Kaworu's presumably came from Adam.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Avocados posted:

e:Is Shinji being in the hunched-over-chair-face-in-palms-fetal-position thing another way to save animation costs and time, or is he just that much of a wuss

quit asking questions and watch the fuking movie

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This is the happiest ive seen Asuka in a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't realize this was happening in real-time. This should be fun. :allears:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't realize this was happening in real-time. This should be fun. :allears:

Some people are gonna be pissed when they see like 50 new posts and think the x'th remake has been announced.

Oh boy thats right, we're overdue on Shinji's catastrophic ego crashes. Here we go.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 15, 2015

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Avocados posted:

Some people are gonna be pissed when they see like 50 new posts and think the x'th remake has been announced.

That's what i thought was going on. I wasnt dissapointed by this though. Happy to see someone else succumb to enjoy the series.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Misato isnt 14 if I recall. I'm starting to think that with all the boobies and whatever the hell was implied just now, age is a meaningless number.

e: OH NO

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Make sense? It sounds like you already understand perfectly. :v:

Rei is a clone of Shinji's mother. They look exactly alike except for age and hair color, and Rei occasionally has episodes where she feels "another Rei" hovering at the edge of her consciousness -- particularly when she's asked to test-pilot Unit-01. The first Rei died when Ritsuko's mother (who was having an affair with Gendo) murdered her out of jealousy. The second Rei died during Armisael's attack in episode 23. However, there's only one soul between the three of them, and that soul came from Lilith in the same way Kaworu's presumably came from Adam.
Is there a Rei inside EVA-00 as well? That's the impression I got although I can't remember anything explicitly telling me that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there a Rei inside EVA-00 as well? That's the impression I got although I can't remember anything explicitly telling me that.

Best answer you're going to get is "maybe." Its loathing for Ritsuko would certainly support that, and we know from Unit-02 that a divided soul can still be enough to run an Eva.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
haha Rei, chin up and stop pulling yourself apart

:stonk:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Falling down, falling down, falling down.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly, this is probably the best way the 100th page of this thread could have gone.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

is this a real post

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah I also make orgasm noises when stabbing myself with my long veiny neck

nope they one'd up themselves again. vagina forehead.

e:

:catstare::catstare:

it keeps getting better

e2: that's all folks, now i have existential hangover.

buglord fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 15, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

is this a real post

I guess.

I did not think this through at all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's like I'm seeing it again for the first time.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I probably should have chosen something a bit more gentle for a first anime.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Avocados posted:

I probably should have chosen something a bit more gentle for a first anime.

Might I recommend a delightful little love comedy to wash out the taste? It's called 'School Days.'

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Pureauthor posted:

Might I recommend a delightful little love comedy to wash out the taste? It's called 'School Days.'

The art style on that though, its a bit much.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Pureauthor posted:

Please don't make ironic anime suggestions to my dear friend, his budding anime experience must be treated very gently.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Two chicks at the same time... Livin' the dream

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
For reals though, going into the end of Evangelion (both the show and the movie) blind is an experience to be treasured.

Savour it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm showing a friend Eva soon - she has almost no knowledge of the series aside from it having giant robots and having a lot of psychological undertones.

Do I serve her tang when we watch EoE?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I probably should have chosen something a bit more gentle for a first anime

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

This slew me. Have fun trying to get another hit like Eva, and don't forget your bi/tri/whatever-annual rewatch.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm showing a friend Eva soon - she has almost no knowledge of the series aside from it having giant robots and having a lot of psychological undertones.

Do I serve her tang when we watch EoE?

Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 15, 2015

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Avocados posted:

:argh: I got excited for a second

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

nope they one'd up themselves again. vagina forehead.

Ha , once its seen it can be unseen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Honestly, this is probably the best way the 100th page of this thread could have gone.

I was noticed yesterday that page 100 was coming up and wondered if there was a point in making a note of it, or doing something silly to commemorate it.

This was waaay better.

e:
OH NO! seriously cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I probably should have chosen something a bit more gentle for a first anime

This, or Neon Genesis Evangelion: leading cause of existential hangovers