Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is that why The Dark Knight had a random field trip to China to capture a character nobody cared about for a subplot that was immediately dropped? Or did they actually think their 2.5-hour movie couldn't survive without that segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is that why The Dark Knight had a random field trip to China to capture a character nobody cared about for a subplot that was immediately dropped? Or did they actually think their 2.5-hour movie couldn't survive without that segment.

Yes

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gravity blames the disaster on the Russians even though China's been the one blowing up satellites recently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, it was Hong Kong and the character's actions set in motion a lot of Joker's schemes in order to overthrow the mobster rule of the underworld in Gotham, by recapturing him from the MCU and getting the location of the mob's money.

It was a hell of a lot better than the "only China's finest Doctors can save Tony Stark now!" stuff from the end of Iron Man 3 (barely present in most releases, a huge part of the epilogue in the version screened in China).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jerusalem posted:

It was a hell of a lot better than the "only China's finest Doctors can save Tony Stark now!" stuff from the end of Iron Man 3 (barely present in most releases, a huge part of the epilogue in the version screened in China).

That's not even the worst example in that movie: http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-version-of-iron-man-3-2013-5

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The complaints about pandering to Asian audiences in a movie called 'Pacific Rim' is hilarious. Even more so when you realize the Chinese Jaeger (despite being the second most advanced one) dies in like the dumbest way possible. Also the Jaeger command base operator with the Chinese name is played by a white dude.

I agree the pandering gets really bad in some movies (Transformers 4 being the worst I've ever seen) but Pacific Rim is really not one of them.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Mar 16, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Warhammer 40k's fluff and backstory makes no sense when you think about it even for a second, and while 95% of my brain accepts that it's ridiculous, the 5% of my mind goes into hysterics when I read anything with the property. It bitches about how a multi-millennia war would've depleted the materials from most of the worlds long before the 'modern era', how Orcs can manufacture the poo poo they don't just re-appropriate from others, and all the other stuff I'm not going to explain because jesus wept, it's Warhammer 40k why am I overthinking this you dumb-dumb, stop it
If it helps, you could say that any inconsistencies are explained by the fact that literal demons are constantly trying to invade, multiple gods exist, and people can use magic.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If you don't like the first season you are a bad person.
I watched the first episode of True Detective. It was pretty slow and dull and didn't catch my interest at all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Byzantine posted:

Gravity blames the disaster on the Russians even though China's been the one blowing up satellites recently.

Well, apart from about seven oligarchs that control all of the wealth, the entire nation of Russia doesn't have two pennies to rub together, so they know being boycotted there won't do anything to their bottom line.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

I watched the first episode of True Detective. It was pretty slow and dull and didn't catch my interest at all.

Yes, the complete lack of explosions and being told whodunit puts a lot of people off.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The leader of the orks is named after Margaret Thatcher, and sections of space Marine doctrine are lifted straight from 1984. You're not exactly meant to take it seriously.

Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka? That's hilarious.

And yeah, WH40K is classic British set-in-a-shithole-universe sci-fi, just like Judge Dredd.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Doesn't pandering to an Asian market also affect casting? Like studios are more reluctant to cast someone ethnic in a leading role because it could affect the overseas box office?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gaunab posted:

Doesn't pandering to an Asian market also affect casting? Like studios are more reluctant to cast someone ethnic in a leading role because it could affect the overseas box office?

Don't worry, Hollywood doesn't need to pander to Asian markets to avoid casting ethnic actors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterBibs posted:

It's not a movie, and it's something that comes up in the property that arguably isn't a moment, but whatever:

Warhammer 40k's fluff and backstory makes no sense when you think about it even for a second, and while 95% of my brain accepts that it's ridiculous, the 5% of my mind goes into hysterics when I read anything with the property. It bitches about how a multi-millennia war would've depleted the materials from most of the worlds long before the 'modern era', how Orcs can manufacture the poo poo they don't just re-appropriate from others, and all the other stuff I'm not going to explain because jesus wept, it's Warhammer 40k why am I overthinking this you dumb-dumb, stop it

Okay 40K is definitely pants-on-head stupid crazy lore at this point, they've been piling up BRUTAL GRIMDARK on top of BRUTAL GRIMDARK for way too long to have something solid at the end of the day.

That said, why you hating on Orks, man? They've actually got a fantastic backstory that explains everything pretty well, no plot holes needed.

Orks are not a normal species as you might imagine them. They are a sentient, psychic fungus. When orks take over a planet, they naturally release spores that coat the surface in some kind of green slime which births up additional Orks. Those Orks then fight each other, until a boss appears who is so tough he commands leadership and orders all the other orks to get together and fly offworld to invade someplace with non-ork people to smash. Then the process repeats on the non-ork planet until its another ork planet.

As for how they manufacture things; this is specifically an awesome plot point of the orks: they don't. Orks are too stupid for actual technology and too chaotic to actually organize industry. But the thing about orks is, they're all immensely powerful psykers. Every single ork has so much psychic power, they put mankind's greatest Psykers to shame. However, orks are too stupid to understand psychic powers and so they don't even realize they have them. But, whenever an ork attempts to use technology, they unconsciously use psychic powers that make the technology do what they want it to, even though they shouldn't.

Orks are literally driving around piles of rubble that magically drive like cars because they're subconsciously psychically willing it to do so. If any non-orks attempt to use ork technology like an orc motorcycle, it instantly falls apart into rubble and does nothing, because that's all it really ever was in the first place.

I mean, that's so silly I love it. :allears: This is also why ork vehicles that are painted red go faster; because the Orks believe that "red makes it go faster", it actually does.

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is what I'm talking about :

"Last year, the same studio altered its zombie epic World War Z, removing a potentially disparaging reference to China to please the country's sensitive censors. Chinese villains were edited out of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and Men in Black 3, while Cameron cut shots of Kate Winslet's breasts from the 3D version of Titanic for its Chinese release. "As an artist, I'm always against censorship," he told the New York Times. "[But] this is an important market for me."

China is also happy to hold its Hollywood partners to ransom. A Chinese hotel chain reportedly threatened to withdraw support from Transformers: Age of Extinction over its failure to feature its flagship property in the finished cut. Last year, a dispute over a new Chinese tax on Hollywood releases left studios in the US waiting months to see even a cent of their agreed 25 per cent of Chinese box-office earnings for some of 2013's biggest movies."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ce-9596052.html

I haven't seen it (why the gently caress would you) but I've heard that the latest Transformers movie had TOOONS of Chinese pandering, possibly because American audiences were finally getting tired of Michael Bay's poo poo so he decided to hedge his bets so it'd sell well overseas at any rate.

I'm not against considering multiple cultures when making art; that's a good thing. But shameless pandering is weak.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Okay, I see what y'all are referring to and that's totally fair. I've noticed it in a couple movies, but didn't realize it was becoming an actual thing.

Regardless, Pook, you can't be upset by the fact that everyone's jumping on you for a couple of those examples. Pacific Rim? Yeah you're gonna get a decent amount of justifiable side-eye for that one cuz it sounds like you started noticing this, and then started actively looking for it anywhere you saw almond-shaped eyes.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Okay, I see what y'all are referring to and that's totally fair. I've noticed it in a couple movies, but didn't realize it was becoming an actual thing.

Regardless, Pook, you can't be upset by the fact that everyone's jumping on you for a couple of those examples. Pacific Rim? Yeah you're gonna get a decent amount of justifiable side-eye for that one cuz it sounds like you started noticing this, and then started actively looking for it anywhere you saw almond-shaped eyes.

Regarding Pacific Rim, I remember reading that the main reason the big fight was in Hong Kong was because of partial Chinese funding and an attempt to appeal to that market.

Full disclosure, I was in Hong Kong when that movie came out so I may be remembering things influenced by my environment. Also how the movie was insultingly dumb at some points, such as them sharing a brain but her somehow hiding the arm sword reeked of anime fan service. Of course that may be less market pandering then it is eye-roll inducing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bah! That theory was invented by the dipshits in the imperium because they can't handle the fact that orks actually have a better understanding of their own technology than the imperium does. They pass genetic knowledge down to each other so that any mechanically inclined ork simply knows how a shoota or a motorcycle works instinctively. They might not be able to explain it, but they tinker and experiment with new technology on their own, which is more than you can say for the idiots in the imperium who have to make anything a complicated religious ritual because they don't know why they're doing it. The ritual of gun maintenance involves ritualistically taking apart your gun and anointing it with oils and prayers and poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ignite Memories posted:

The ritual of gun maintenance involves ritualistically taking apart your gun and anointing it with oils and prayers and poo poo.

To be fair, this is the same setting where daemons often turn guns into evil artifacts by influencing the manufacturer into making a part in a specific shape.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ignite Memories posted:

The ritual of gun maintenance involves ritualistically taking apart your gun and anointing it with oils and prayers and poo poo.

So like real life.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

Regarding Pacific Rim, I remember reading that the main reason the big fight was in Hong Kong was because of partial Chinese funding and an attempt to appeal to that market.

Full disclosure, I was in Hong Kong when that movie came out so I may be remembering things influenced by my environment. Also how the movie was insultingly dumb at some points, such as them sharing a brain but her somehow hiding the arm sword reeked of anime fan service. Of course that may be less market pandering then it is eye-roll inducing.

That's fair. The sword-arm thing though was because the movie's basically live-action sentai, if that helps the decision make more sense.

EDIT: also re: the anime fan service, that's true, but Pacific Rim is basically Anime Fanservice: The Movie

Anyway I'm done poking at this subject haha, I def learned something new and interesting and will be keeping an eye out for this kind of thing. Pandering to the Chinese market is pretty annoying (but rationally so imo).

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Mar 16, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

So like real life.

I figured that was the point, really. A lot of the "rituals" are just basic every day maintenance dressed up and made fancy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

poptart_fairy posted:

I figured that was the point, really. A lot of the "rituals" are just basic every day maintenance dressed up and made fancy.

It's all a big technology cargo cult, adeptus mechanicus in particular. They repeat the manufacturing and maintenance processes in a religious ritualistic fashion, because they know the processes work, they just don't completely understand why.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's all a big technology cargo cult, adeptus mechanicus in particular. They repeat the manufacturing and maintenance processes in a religious ritualistic fashion, because they know the processes work, they just don't completely understand why.

I've always thought the idea of a society which is so far along it forgot how it got there in the first place was pretty cool.

I mean in a few years here everybody is going to know how to work a UI but only a few engineers will know anything about the parts inside a computer. :v: The more advanced the technology gets, the harder it is for one person to understand everything involved.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Your not supposed to call them that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Novum posted:

Your not supposed to call them that.

we're just trying to take it back man, that's our word

my wife uses this term a lot and I'm totally stealing your joke to use on her next time she does it ahahahahahaha

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This is not the thread for Warhammer40k sperging, I can all of that I need and more in so many different places.

I watched the documentary Fed Up and while it was decent on the whole if occasionally a little heavy handed in the very pointed editing of voiceovers over meals, the editing and what they did for the interviews was over the top a bit. We know Evil Corporate Food Guy is bad and going to spin his stuff, you don't need to include your take where he asked for a minute to appropriately compose an answer to a question and then just have him be silent for ten seconds before cutting to the next shot. You have interviews with teenagers, I'm pretty sure they're constantly mumbling or losing their train of thought but you don't keep those in.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

That sub-plot was awesome though, billionaire absconds with ballet, batman flying into a building and an actually decently shot fight scene, the skyhook escape. Whats not to like. And after all that the Joker steals the guy and burns him on a giant pile of money.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd have preferred a more noticeable burning the dude. It wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I was like OH YEA, there IS a guy there!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

This is not the thread for Warhammer40k sperging, I can all of that I need and more in so many different places.

Right, I didn't mean to cause a derail about it; it's just that for every thing that has a crazy-and-makes-no-sense-but-has-a-throwaway-excuse (The Orks being able to use stuff, as Zaphod42 pointed out), there's a lot of underlying practical crazy stuff that the 5% of my mind that refuses to accepts it freaks the hell out whenever I decided to re-read my Caiaphas Cain books.

"This planet is a factory and has been churning out tanks for 10,000 years!", 95% of my brain tolerates. The 5% bitches about, no, there is not enough mineral on a planet to churn out tanks for that long.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

"This planet is a factory and has been churning out tanks for 10,000 years!", 95% of my brain tolerates. The 5% bitches about, no, there is not enough mineral on a planet to churn out tanks for that long.

Does it specify the planet itself is being used for resources? Could just be a planetwide factory that gets shipments of metal and poo poo from elsewhere.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd have preferred a more noticeable burning the dude. It wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I was like OH YEA, there IS a guy there!

I don't think I ever noticed it to be honest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

I don't think I ever noticed it to be honest.

They kind of cut around it like when Joker kills Michael Jai White's character because it would be a little much even for PG-13. Basically you see the guy sitting on top of the money pile at the start of the scene and then when Joker lights it on fire they kind of don't have any reaction shot.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

muscles like this? posted:

They kind of cut around it like when Joker kills Michael Jai White's character because it would be a little much even for PG-13. Basically you see the guy sitting on top of the money pile at the start of the scene and then when Joker lights it on fire they kind of don't have any reaction shot.

You're right! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJ3Yv_vgUc

I never realized that the guy was sitting there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this? posted:

Since you mentioned it, Michael Jai White's death irritated me. Firstly because it's Micahel Jay White and Michael Jai White shouldn't go down so easily. Secondly, I was never quite sure what it was that Joker did to him. Just slicing open his mouth wouldn't kill him, and it would be way messier than what was hinted at.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Since you mentioned it, Michael Jai White's death irritated me. Firstly because it's Micahel Jay White and Michael Jai White shouldn't go down so easily. Secondly, I was never quite sure what it was that Joker did to him. Just slicing open his mouth wouldn't kill him, and it would be way messier than what was hinted at.

I think the movie makes it clear that everyone except the Joker will die immediately after a Glasgow smile.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

I think the movie makes it clear that everyone except the Joker will die immediately after a Glasgow smile.

It's more of a Glasgow smirk, really. He only cuts one side.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had no idea/forgot that Michael Jai White was in that movie, probably because he does not actually look like Black Dynamite.

Also Anthony Michael Hall is in TDK too?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

It's more of a Glasgow smirk, really. He only cuts one side.

That's the reason. Since you're only cut on one side of your face, your chakras go out of balance and you start leaking cosmic energy. The Joker had a full glasgow smile, which allowed his chakras to retain balance, and not bleed out of cosmic energy.
This explains why the victims of Joker die immediately, no screams as their face is tore open.

Really, once you realize how stupid violence is in movies (including being shot in the chest as immediate death) you start to feel annoyed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

That's the reason. Since you're only cut on one side of your face, your chakras go out of balance and you start leaking cosmic energy. The Joker had a full glasgow smile, which allowed his chakras to retain balance, and not bleed out of cosmic energy.
This explains why the victims of Joker die immediately, no screams as their face is tore open.

I totally buy that as an explanation and will re-watch TDK in the knowledge that Joker is the Fist of the North Star.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I had no idea/forgot that Michael Jai White was in that movie, probably because he does not actually look like Black Dynamite.

Also Anthony Michael Hall is in TDK too?

Yeah he is a reporter. The Hong Kong scene was important as it caused for the gangsters to hire Joker, as before they had no reason to setting the plot of the film off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also it had the cell phone trick