Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Forgot about the Shiki somehow, so that's 3 for the year as of June. Still a measly output, compared to just two years ago.

I'm not impressed with RE/100 so far and if it's actually replacing MG slots instead of supplementing them I like it even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Personally, I was hoping for RG releases to be a bit more brisk.

RG Nu when :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'd put money on the next RG being another Endless Waltz M.E.T.E.O.R. Gundam.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The MG is still too new.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I will admit, I'd have thought a G-Self MG would've shown up by now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll be shocked if we ever get more than 4 RGs a year. They must be a bitch to design and I doubt the profit margins are very good.

And yes, they gotta milk the poo poo out of that new Wing skeleton so prepare yourself for lots more of that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm expecting HG G-Self Perfect Pack and Mg G-self to at least be released sometime this year.
They made the Gundam X, Turn-X and Gundam DX within a good year though, so I can't be sad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bimmi posted:

I'll be shocked if we ever get more than 4 RGs a year. They must be a bitch to design and I doubt the profit margins are very good.

And yes, they gotta milk the poo poo out of that new Wing skeleton so prepare yourself for lots more of that.

The only real question is if the Heavyarms Custom will be first due to fan demand, or saved for last to try and get people buying the other three first.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Forgot about the Shiki somehow, so that's 3 for the year as of June. Still a measly output, compared to just two years ago.

I'm not impressed with RE/100 so far and if it's actually replacing MG slots instead of supplementing them I like it even less.

not that you don't have a valid point, but I thought you hardly buy gunpla anymore?

Also, I don't really see where your getting the idea that rg's haven't been that profitable.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I don't buy a lot, but I don't want to see the MG line wither on the vine either and that sort of seems to be happening.

I'm sure the RG line is selling well enough, but there's no way something that takes almost as much engineering effort as an MG but sells for considerably less is raking in the cheddar.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only real question is if the Heavyarms Custom will be first due to fan demand, or saved for last to try and get people buying the other three first.

Another fun question is what will sell less: Sandrock because it's boring or Shenlong/Altron because everyone hates Wu Fei

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sandrock Kai is my favourite METEOR Gundam :eng99:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Sandrock is really cool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

I don't buy a lot, but I don't want to see the MG line wither on the vine either and that sort of seems to be happening.

I'm sure the RG line is selling well enough, but there's no way something that takes almost as much engineering effort as an MG but sells for considerably less is raking in the cheddar.

I'm pretty sure production costs totally overwhelm engineering cost, and any 1/144 that doesn't come in a suitcase is cheaper to produce and ship than an MG. RG is probably comparable if not better profit than MG for Bandai.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Zedd posted:

I'm expecting HG G-Self Perfect Pack and Mg G-self to at least be released sometime this year.
They made the Gundam X, Turn-X and Gundam DX within a good year though, so I can't be sad.

I'm pretty sure the Perfect Pack's giant thrusters/laser guns are supported entirely by a pair of twiggy little bent limbs, so it'll be fun to see how that translates into a model kit that can support its own weight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
RE/100 is almost certainly taking up MG "slots". The release schedule so far has been

January: Gundam mkIII
February: Exia Dark Matter
March: Gundam Double X
April: GP04 Gerbera
May: Hyaku Shiki 2.0
June: Dijeh (?)

Which is a lot more consistent than last year's, that's for sure.

Also really not liking the boxart for the Origin HGs.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

RG is probably comparable if not better profit than MG for Bandai.

If that were the case I think we'd be seeing more of them. As it is I suspect RG is mainly a halo product — it exists as a display of technological prowess and prestige for the company, not as some baseline money generator.

Maybe things will change down the road but right now they're pretty clearly a niche product, and while nice to have those aren't really the sort of thing that makes the shareholders touch themselves at night.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

If that were the case I think we'd be seeing more of them. As it is I suspect RG is mainly a halo product — it exists as a display of technological prowess and prestige for the company, not as some baseline money generator.

Maybe things will change down the road but right now they're pretty clearly a niche product, and while nice to have those aren't really the sort of thing that makes the shareholders touch themselves at night.

Is there anything that makes you say that aside from your feelings?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just common sense, really. I don't have access to sales figures but RG strikes me as the epitome of the sort of thing that isn't going to have a rich meaty profit margin built into the concept.

Again, maybe things will change. MG was in a similar state back at the beginning and there was even concern among the fans that the line might not survive. Those were really different times for Gunpla though — a minimum of computer assistance and a vastly different product landscape — so I really don't know what to expect for RG.

I do think its appeal is somewhat limited by the fact that its entire thing seems to be rehashing subjects that already exist in MG — certainly limits it for me, anyway.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 21, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well it's more that it only goes for the really popular designs so they can get a guaranteed return on all their effort. And, well, most of the really popular stuff already has a MG.

Except Justice.

Because gently caress Justice.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Probably not so much for models, but parts count has a larger cost impact than size for toys.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

These Squadron Tri-Grit sticks are amazing. Not quite as perfect as doing the Coarse-Medium-Fine-ExtraFine-SuperFine but hell it's only 3/5 of the steps all on one stick.
I need to pick up a bunch more of these.

Edit: And apparently the old MSV kits aren't snap fits.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 21, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Kapool was the pinnacle of NG engineering. Polycaps and highly detailed parts and decent articulation and snap fit and even some basic color seperation!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

GUNPLA IS FREEDOM

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

Just common sense, really. I don't have access to sales figures but RG strikes me as the epitome of the sort of thing that isn't going to have a rich meaty profit margin built into the concept.

I do think its appeal is somewhat limited by the fact that its entire thing seems to be rehashing subjects that already exist in MG — certainly limits it for me, anyway.

So yeah just your feelings

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Trying to find limbs aesthetically compatible with the genoace torso is REALLY hard apparently

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What is the best way to plan colors for a paint job? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what colors should go where.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Muffinlord posted:

What is the best way to plan colors for a paint job? I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what colors should go where.

Clown paint generator

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just look at official designs. Get a sense for how things should be colored, and branch out from there.

It goes without saying, but don't restrict yourself to Gundam.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, think like the guy who painted his Grimoire Scopedog colors completely on accident.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If you want to save the MG toyline Bimmi I'm afraid you're going to have to get back to supporting it solo again.

Jokes aside I need all those Tryon bits.

The Muffinlord posted:

I like to try and find a clean lineart of a thing and then just blob colours in places and go "yeah that's cool." Coming up with original colour schemes is really hard as a person with colour issues, so I like to transfer a scheme from one thing to another as an exercise. It helps you see what is important to the design, colour scheme or pattern or whatever and gives you ideas for your own stuff. Like BlitzBlast says don't limit yourself to Gundam or even just robots.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
http://www.paletton.com/

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, I have all the colors I'm going to be buying unless I decide I desperately need a yellow(I might decide this), I just need to figure out where to put them. Anyone ever found clean lineart of the Hardygun and G-Cannon Magna?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

EthanSteele posted:

Coming up with original colour schemes is really hard as a person with colour issues

Just use one of these, dude.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Haven't seen these in most of the show reports — anyone know what they are?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Megahouse Variable Action Kataphrakts from AldnoahZero

the left ones are from the lower tech earth faction, the one on right from the space science faction

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Cool, I like robots with names that sound like unpleasant medical conditions.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I know right, but it's actually named for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataphract which is a cool asspull for a mecha name

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cataphracts are dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I didn't like Aldnoah but I think its robot looks okay.