Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Ugh.. missed out on a goodwill auction with classic space stuff including at least a good portion of a 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport because I was stuck in traffic when it ended. Went for $32 which is a steal for 6 lbs of bricks with classic space pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's going to happen a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, shopgoodwill is the lego buying secret that everyone knows about. Even goodwill knows how useful it is because the smart stores will pull all the minifigs out of a lot and sell them for with a markup in a different auction.

It's a good way to get bulk lego but it's not easy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

xzzy posted:

Yeah, shopgoodwill is the lego buying secret that everyone knows about. Even goodwill knows how useful it is because the smart stores will pull all the minifigs out of a lot and sell them for with a markup in a different auction.

It's a good way to get bulk lego but it's not easy.

Case, point (no pun intended)
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/100-Lego-People-20664827.html

100 Lego People!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the heck, exo-suit minifigs are already showing up at goodwill? Do people really buy toys and only keep them for a few months?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

xzzy posted:

What the heck, exo-suit minifigs are already showing up at goodwill? Do people really buy toys and only keep them for a few months?

"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Turning Goodwill into an auction kind of ruins the fun. I mean, Obviously it's good for them to get more money since it's a charity but it would be a lot more interesting if they just put a solid price on them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't win any auctions now that I posted the link on this site.

:(

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Turtlicious posted:

I can't win any auctions now that I posted the link on this site.

:(

I'm kind of scared to win any auctions. I've put some bids in, but the pictures are so bad and the descriptions are so vague...I just know I'm going to get a 30 lbs box with 1/2 a pound of lego with 29 pounds of best locks.

edit, and the other 1/2 pound will be barbie head dolls or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a 15lb box with $13 SO I'll be posting pictures.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Don't feel too bad for Goodwill, I'm not certain that it is a charity.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

oneof27 posted:

Don't feel too bad for Goodwill, I'm not certain that it is a charity.

It's a charity, it's just not a charity in the way most people think it is.

Money raised by Goodwill doesn't get sent to poor villages in Africa or anything, Goodwill itself is the charity, employing lots of inner-city type folks etc

So yeah support Goodwill

e: thing from Snopes

quote:

Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#3eLwGGhWE38MX7Lh.99

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sockser posted:

It's a charity, it's just not a charity in the way most people think it is.

Money raised by Goodwill doesn't get sent to poor villages in Africa or anything, Goodwill itself is the charity, employing lots of inner-city type folks etc

So yeah support Goodwill

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1876905

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

poo poo, nevermind, then.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Sockser posted:

poo poo, nevermind, then.

Eh. I'd take that article with a grain of salt. Every organization has its share of scandals, and the .20 an hour thing is vastly overblown and has more to do with state/federal benefits than exploiting workers.

*serious issues in a thread about blocks*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMG4UEorUfs

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I knew a disabled guy that worked for goodwill. it's a scam, its a bunch of rich ceos convincing the public to subsidize cheap labor via disability support payments and other social services.

They should be paying a living wage but don't.

The thought that they train people for an actual career is horseshit.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why you gotta do this to me :negative:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
And while we're on the subject, what about the moral implications of buying from TRU and Target? I want to minimize human suffering but also maximize savings.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to start getting rid of some of my Lego. I never have much of a chance to play with it, so it's mostly just sitting in boxes and bags on shelves in my hallway. I did a couple of eBay bulk buys a number of years ago, but do I really need 40 sets of wagon wheels?

Probably start with some of the big Technic sets.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I really hope they are making a metric buttload of the sets, so the aren't hard to get ahold of.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
How long are the lego pirates going to be around? The nearest lego store to me right now is in Oahu, and I'd rather just wait until I return home to buy them. But I don't want to return home and they'll be gone.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Goodwill hires actual retarded people for life and pays them poo poo and pretends they are doing them a huge favor by doing so. I should know, I worked there. Wait, gently caress.

Well my job probably could have been done, maybe even better, by someone mentally disabled. But what they did for me was keep me just under the hours per week to where they would have to give me some benefits!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

How long are the lego pirates going to be around? The nearest lego store to me right now is in Oahu, and I'd rather just wait until I return home to buy them. But I don't want to return home and they'll be gone.

It looks like it's the 'sequel' to 2013 Castle, so if it follows suit it should be around for at least another year or two.

Unrelated, but I've been sitting on some Classic sets I got on the cheap (Bricks, Supplement, and Large Tub) but my creativity is shot. What are some cool things you can make with just standard-rear end Lego?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lego Turntable: http://www.huhmagazine.co.uk/8191/a-working-turntable-made-out-of-lego

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Light Gun Man posted:

Goodwill hires actual retarded people for life and pays them poo poo and pretends they are doing them a huge favor by doing so. I should know, I worked there. Wait, gently caress.

Well my job probably could have been done, maybe even better, by someone mentally disabled. But what they did for me was keep me just under the hours per week to where they would have to give me some benefits!

That's not unique to goodwill.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So the Mos Eisley cantina set doesn't come with a bartender. Bullshit. What's the best way to put together a Wuher seeing as there's no official minifig? The only custom fig on eBay looks like rear end

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

That's not unique to goodwill.

The point is Goodwill is full of lovely exploitation fuckery and have the audacity to pretend to be the good guys and I wouldn't lose any sleep if I found some ultra rare and priceless thing on sale for 5 bux and exploited their mistake.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, exactly.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

So all the auctions I was looking at are about 2-3 times what I'd be willing to gamble. A lot of this stuff is at or above ebay prices. So I think I'm done with the goodwill auctions.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just got home after a hellacious day at work to find every Speed Champions set we don't have waiting to be built (except the 458 that's out of stock).

Fuckin sweet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E:wrong thread

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Just got home after a hellacious day at work to find every Speed Champions set we don't have waiting to be built (except the 458 that's out of stock).

Fuckin sweet.

Do the Speed Champions sets have pull-back motors or is that Technic exclusive?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So the Mos Eisley cantina set doesn't come with a bartender. Bullshit. What's the best way to put together a Wuher seeing as there's no official minifig? The only custom fig on eBay looks like rear end

Not great, but this is what I use

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not great, but this is what I use

Looks good to me! All it's missing is chest hair, haha. Could you tell me what pieces those are?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Looks good to me! All it's missing is chest hair, haha. Could you tell me what pieces those are?

Sure, it's an Emmet hair piece from the movie, an Anakin torso and this head from a Lone Ranger figure.
All pretty cheap on bricklink.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 27, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Do the Speed Champions sets have pull-back motors or is that Technic exclusive?

No pull back motors.

The McLaren P1 is way way better in person than in any picture. The Ferrari transport is huge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Trash Chomper?

MORE LIKE TRASH STOMPER

His head was initially going to be inspired by Gutsman from Megaman, but then I realized I had wound up just making Auto's head:

I need to work on the hands more, and improve friction in the legs, but otherwise I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Trash Chomper?

Soylent Yellow is made of minifigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Trash Chomper?

MORE LIKE TRASH STOMPER

His head was initially going to be inspired by Gutsman from Megaman, but then I realized I had wound up just making Auto's head:

I need to work on the hands more, and improve friction in the legs, but otherwise I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Thats awesome. Did you need any parts outside of the set?