Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

Charles Band has his own internet streaming service. You can pay fifteen dollars a month for unlimited Charles Band

I already do...I am a weak man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How do people not know Blessed was in TPM?

Also I really enjoyed his voice work in that. One of the few highlights in my opinion.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Remove the monolith and maybe change the space suit to Dave in the bed and it'd be better, but it's hard to say without seeing it. The artist was probably terrified that without the suit and monolith it wouldn't "read" as 2001, which is a stupid case of playing to the lowest common denominator and coming out poorer on all fronts for the effort.

Even then what is it trying to say? Dave is passed out in a room decorated in a Baroque fashion, a notoriously decadent age whose frivolities were heavily criticized by the Enlightenment. His pose mimics the maiden in The Nightmare with the ancestral ape and monolith standing in for the incubus and literal night mare. So is evolution the nightmare? Is Kubric's image of a clean, sharp, technically advanced future just another form of decadence and indulgence? Is the font and layout choice for the title actually really ugly and confusing? Yes. Yes it is.

SirPhoebos posted:

My brother's only exposure to BRIAN BLESSED is The Phantom Menace :negative:

I feel this injustice has to be corrected. Any suggestions?

Well Flash Gorden of course. Everyone should see it at least once. For a more serious role you can check out the I, Claudius miniseries.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SirPhoebos posted:

He's pretty good in the first season of Blackadder. For bonus points, you'll also get to show him the peak of the witty side of Rowan Atkinson's career. Nothing against Mr. Bean, which is pretty great physical comedy (please ignore the movies), but it really sucks that it overshadows Blackadder for most people.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

Cleretic posted:

He's pretty good in the first season of Blackadder. For bonus points, you'll also get to show him the peak of the witty side of Rowan Atkinson's career. Nothing against Mr. Bean, which is pretty great physical comedy (please ignore the movies), but it really sucks that it overshadows Blackadder for most people.

I agree with this suggestion! More serious dramatic stuff go for 'I Claudius' which also features Patrick Stewart with hair.

Oh and of course Flash Gordon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's a wig, Patrick Stewart has been bald since he was a teenager.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

there wolf posted:

Even then what is it trying to say? Dave is passed out in a room decorated in a Baroque fashion, a notoriously decadent age whose frivolities were heavily criticized by the Enlightenment. His pose mimics the maiden in The Nightmare with the ancestral ape and monolith standing in for the incubus and literal night mare. So is evolution the nightmare? Is Kubric's image of a clean, sharp, technically advanced future just another form of decadence and indulgence? Is the font and layout choice for the title actually really ugly and confusing? Yes. Yes it is.

Simply any reference to high art or whatever is the laziest thing in the world.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

That's a wig, Patrick Stewart has been bald since he was a teenager.

His hair loss is probably the best thing that could have happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

He looks a bit like a young Harrison Ford.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

kiimo posted:

Maybe, but the circumstances that caused it aren't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Star Man posted:

Superman's not around anymore, so I'd say he won.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Simply any reference to high art or whatever is the laziest thing in the world.

Nonsense

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

there wolf posted:

This is Fuseli's The Nightmare

And that's Boucher's Autumn Pastoral behind it. I can't tell if I'm looking at something very clever or very dumb...

?!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Star Man posted:

Genetics? I couldn't find anything that suggested otherwise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ThatPazuzu posted:

Genetics? I couldn't find anything that suggested otherwise.

Yeah, I looked it up too. For some reason I thought it was trauma from his abusive father.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Star Man posted:

Yeah, I looked it up too. For some reason I thought it was trauma from his abusive father.

I hope that you can't beat someone bald

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope that you can't beat someone bald

Some people's hair can fall out due to stress, so I think it would be possible in the right circumstances with the right person to do basically this.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

References to The Last Supper are the laziest thing of all.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Noxville posted:

So loving agree. I wish there could be a moratorium on film/TV marketing using the Last Supper. There's other ways to portray an ensemble cast.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Young Freud posted:

So loving agree. I wish there could be a moratorium on film/TV marketing using the Last Supper. There's other ways to portray an ensemble cast.
What are the alternatives, if you wish to portray your character as essentially Jesus? Though if that wasn't a concern, a painting like The Night Watch would more easily incorporate guns.

Actually, now that the subject is up, are there other common references in movie posters? Could be I'm just an uncultured swine, but I can't really think of any.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Expendables should've used the anatomy lesson instead

"Sly went overboard with hgh, check out his sick forearms from inside"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What are the alternatives, if you wish to portray your character as essentially Jesus? Though if that wasn't a concern, a painting like The Night Watch would more easily incorporate guns.

Actually, now that the subject is up, are there other common references in movie posters? Could be I'm just an uncultured swine, but I can't really think of any.

I remember the Discworld book of the same name basing its cover on the painting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Noxville posted:

Even the Sopranos, which usually had really well done posters, resorted to a "Last Supper" tableau once and it looked pretty bad.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Alternative pants posted:

As long as it makes sense to the story who cares? Was Sue adopted or Johnny? Interracial family? As long as it is logical and not just "must have POC because reasons".
What other reason could there be beyond either "interracial family" or "adoption"? I don't even understand why anyone has a thing about this, it's not like this is 1935 or something.

Cleretic posted:

Blessed's great in that but that was hands down the worst season of Blackadder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Even the Sopranos, which usually had really well done posters, resorted to a "Last Supper" tableau once and it looked pretty bad.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when they did that, because their ensemble tableau things were always on point.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I want to see more Death of Socrates references.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TetsuoTW posted:

Blessed's great in that but that was hands down the worst season of Blackadder.

So you haven't seen Blackadder the Third, then?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I was really disappointed when they did that, because their ensemble tableau things were always on point.

Starting with season three, they were done by Annie Leibovitz. And they were fantastic.

Some examples: (spoilers for a show that ended almost ten years ago, obviously)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love the concept of the boat one but the execution always felt off. Maybe it's Big Pussy's weird body.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TetsuoTW posted:

What other reason could there be beyond either "interracial family" or "adoption"? I don't even understand why anyone has a thing about this, it's not like this is 1935 or something.

No, you have to have a reason for non whites to be in movies, otherwise they should be white because white people are the default

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

No, you have to have a reason for non whites to be in movies, otherwise they should be white because white people are the default

Or it could be because the character has a white sister (as in this case) or because a black captain America in WWII wouldn't make sense? I'm not saying it's a bad thing in the slightest, but do it for a reason beyond "gotta check that diversity box". I'd actually be really interested in the story of Sue being adopted into the Storm family after being taken away from a redneck trailer park by DHS. The point is when it's done juicy not other reason than "gotta have a minority actor in here or someone will throw a fit" it seems lazy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Or it could be because the character has a white sister (as in this case) or because a black captain America in WWII wouldn't make sense? I'm not saying it's a bad thing in the slightest, but do it for a reason beyond "gotta check that diversity box". I'd actually be really interested in the story of Sue being adopted into the Storm family after being taken away from a redneck trailer park by DHS. The point is when it's done juicy not other reason than "gotta have a minority actor in here or someone will throw a fit" it seems lazy.

lol

Black people in WWII? That doesn't make sense

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

lol

Black people in WWII? That doesn't make sense

Not as an officer in a top secret testing program. Especially not since official desegregation of the US military didn't occur until 1948.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Not as an officer in a top secret testing program.

In a movie where a man throws a shield like a boomerang at super-nazis who are lead by a man without skin on his face

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Captain America is fascism given flesh. A black captain america would be just plain weird because fascists are always white racists.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Noxville posted:

It's probably a toss up between that and God poking Adam on the Sistine Chapel. But I did find it to be a brilliant way to express everything wrong with The Expendables as a series; its lack of wit, its frequent dives for the obvious and low-hanging, its apparent total ignorance about what people actually like about self-referential media... How much more interesting would this thing have been if it'd been the School of Athens redone as a fight scene with everyone wailing on some henchmen? If you're going to sample, sample creatively.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not as an officer in a top secret testing program. Especially not since official desegregation of the US military didn't occur until 1948.

Sadly, it'd actually make more sense for the military to test dangerous experimental medical procedures on a black man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

In a movie where a man throws a shield like a boomerang at super-nazis who are lead by a man without skin on his face

Also where a villain has his conscious encoded into a computer from like 1978.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sadly, it'd actually make more sense for the military to test dangerous experimental medical procedures on a black man.

Only if the end result wasn't to create a smarter, stronger, faster soldier that could potentially be pissed off at the dangerous testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Only if the end result wasn't to create a smarter, stronger, faster soldier that could potentially be pissed off at the dangerous testing.

You're being a teensy bit literal.