Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

An Angry Bug posted:

What's the procedure for using Future with water slide decals? When I prep a surface, should I let the stuff dry before putting on the decals, or apply them while it's still wet? Also, when I brush on the protective outer coat afterwards, how do I keep the brush from moving bits of the decal?

Like it was mentioned, let it dry.

You coat gloss, wait for curing, then add decals. Always apply decals over gloss, even if the intended finish is matte or semigloss, you can clear coat those later. Pledge (future) is just an acrylic gloss coat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

loving lord someone did another one. :swoon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I figured this would be the case as soon as I saw the new proportions,

but MG DX is taller than MG GX. Ah well, can't have everything.

EDIT: Although that might be because the GX's Satellite Cannon is putting it off balance. I guess I'll find out myself, eventually.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 27, 2015

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

How the actual gently caress?! :wth:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Finished with my first model in over 10 years: an HGUC Char's Zaku II.

That was fun. Once I got the first leg done, I felt I was really starting to roll. The cutters I got are amazing; I can't believe that I was such a dumbass and didn't use any sort of proper cuttetr back then. The Gundam Markers are fantastic for panel-lining, even though I hosed up quite a bit. Nothing a paper towel couldn't fix, though. There's some small nubs on the back part of the right leg I need to go back and slice off, though I think I'll do it after a bit more practice.

Made a few mistakes, most notably chopping off a small bit of the right shoulder pauldron thing when I was trying to get a nub. I'm slowly getting a feel for what kind of pressure to use when trying to cut off a nub with a hobby knife.

Here's a pic of the guy because why not?

Building him was really nice and enjoyable. I have an HGUC RX-78-2 waiting for me next, then an HGUC Gouf after that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I too am a decal addict.

Basically, I like my giant robits looking as complex as possible. For example, I love SEED's mecha design, as well as just about every Ver Ka.

I like complexity too, but half the fun of putting on decals is thinking up why certain decals would be in certain places, at least if you're like me and go off the reservation and don't pay too much attention to the guide. Thinking about where access hatches or warnings would be placed for the maintenance staff, and generally playing giant robot OSHA is really fun.

Speaking of, finally put the finishing touches on it, now to wait for the Penelope to happen and have twice as many decals to worry about. Usual trigger warning for a 15 year old phone applies.

closeted republican posted:

Finished with my first model in over 10 years: an HGUC Char's Zaku II.

Nice job, and you already have a backlog going. Seems like you've slipped back into the trap comfortably. Godspeed to both you and your wallet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So hey, turns out RG Zeta had exactly the reaction I expected.

gently caress gunpla, gently caress Bandai, gently caress this earth.

I'm now 100% buying into the theory that Zeta was designed purely to gently caress gunpla. This thing is a nightmare.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Anything I need to get while I'm over here?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 27, 2015

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
I think that's why Tomino put so many awesome and different looking suits into Reconguista as well. He's trying to overload them with designs to make models of. I really hope Bandai will just say "ok" and the reconguista line will eventually get every suit from the show, come on Hecate and G-Rach and Poligit and Megafauna and... there are a lot of suits. At least the Gastima is getting a model.

On a related note

I still have some touching up to do on him. I have some blue glow paint ordered to replace the stickers and add some more effects in different places, and I need to redo the places where some paint scratched off. My friend gave me a black Gundam marker but mentioned a grey might look better on the white, what is y'alls opinion on this? Also should I do the top coat before or after the Gundam marker?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After. It's called the top coat because it goes on top of everything else.

As a note, be sure to cover all the stuff you want to look shiny before you spray the flat coat.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Has anybody seen or done painted builds that were partially gloss and partially matte? I'm thinking about doing it for the G-Lucifer but can't visualize if it would look like total crap or not.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Preview pics for the Catsith are coming out. Finally, the Reguild Century's flagship crappy, disposable mook-suit is here (no, I really am genuinely excited about this).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just ordered two hi-mocks and a ball two-pack, thanks to whoever posted that picture earlier.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I need a ball two-pack to make that happen but just to be on the safe side I'm putting together another hi-mock.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

So hey, turns out RG Zeta had exactly the reaction I expected.

gently caress gunpla, gently caress Bandai, gently caress this earth.

I'm now 100% buying into the theory that Zeta was designed purely to gently caress gunpla. This thing is a nightmare.

On his deathbed, Tomino will confess he deliberately designed the Zeta to gently caress with Gunpla.

Bandai will then release a memorial Zeta kit, which while in poor taste, sells well because plastic crack.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone given the Elf Bullock a try yet? How huge is it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone given the Elf Bullock a try yet? How huge is it?

Dalong has the answers you seek.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG DX is amazing, oh my god.

The shield now connects to the arm itself instead of the black bit that folds out, and it's on an extendable arm so you can still move it to where it should be during the TSC.

The beam rifle plugs into said arm too, so you can actually have the DX use its beam sabers without having to chuck the beam rifle somewhere.

Said beam sabers can now pop out a little and rotate too.

And while they advertised the thing as being compatible with the 1/100 G-Falcon, it's also compatible with the 1/100 DX's weapon rack.

They put so much effort into this thing, it's the best.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 28, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

closeted republican posted:

Building him was really nice and enjoyable. I have an HGUC RX-78-2 waiting for me next, then an HGUC Gouf after that.

One of us, one of us.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

MG DX is amazing, oh my god.

Let's put 20 years of Gunpla engineering into perspective:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seriously, MG GX was a kind of barebones "eh I guess we'll modify the EW Wing frame" modern MG. DX goes above and beyond any expectations. It may very well be the best MG since, I dunno, AGE-1 Normal?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm still convinced the MG Turn A has some of the most interesting innovation as far as model kit design goes.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Built a Space Jahannan last night. Neat kit, but something weird was going on with the B sprues that had the knee and elbow parts on them. The parts were this material I hadn't seen before in a kit that was halfway between poly cap and normal plastic. It cut really easily bit got mangled when I tried to send or trim it. Is Banda experimenting with new material?

Darth Walrus posted:

Preview pics for the Catsith are coming out. Finally, the Reguild Century's flagship crappy, disposable mook-suit is here (no, I really am genuinely excited about this).

Helloooo Transformers crossover fodder. Definitely getting that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Worked out a solution for my new display shelf. Found somewhere that cuts perspex to size. Got it cut to the same size as my existing shelf, but half the depth. Take that, screw three acrylic risers to the underside (two at either end and one in the middle) then secure it to the back of my existing shelf. So just adding another tier to my existing shelf. Plus it means I can get an LED strip and fit it under the second tier. Since it's transparent, it'll light the gunpla above from below, and the ones on the first tier from behind. DRAMATIC LIGHTING :black101:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

signalnoise posted:

Anything I need to get while I'm over here?

Where's my goddamn Sazabi you bunghole

edit haven't read the thread in a while because of funding issues, has there been any announcement of RGs past 00 Raiser?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 28, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't remember where I read to mix Tamiya acrylics with thinner at a 50/50 ratio. Using a 66/33 ratio the paint goes on so much smoother and doesn't pool as easy. I take it that since the paint is thicker it is the reason?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

edit haven't read the thread in a while because of funding issues, has there been any announcement of RGs past 00 Raiser?

Nope, 00 Raiser is the next, then we're blank.

I doubt it'll come to pass, but I'm still screaming into the void for RG Nu.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I don't remember where I read to mix Tamiya acrylics with thinner at a 50/50 ratio. Using a 66/33 ratio the paint goes on so much smoother and doesn't pool as easy. I take it that since the paint is thicker it is the reason?

Hand brushing or airbrush? "Consistency of milk" is the rule of thumb for airbrush and it's a good starting point for hand brushing too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nope, 00 Raiser is the next, then we're blank.

I doubt it'll come to pass, but I'm still screaming into the void for RG Nu.

I was hoping they'd have said something about more Project Meteor kits, I want me a goddamn Heavyarms

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

Let's put 20 years of Gunpla engineering into perspective:

The saddest thing for me is that even though it's advanced in many ways, nothing current even holds a candle to the sheer mechanical tech and detail and general goodness of 16 year old PGs, not even the latest PGs (looking at you 1/60 MG Unicorn). I guess their priorities shifted to other things, but it'd be nice to have improvements in all areas :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

After a year and a half, I finally completed the MG Unicorn ver Ka. This was my second time airbrushing and my first time using waterslide decals in over 20 years. I had to hand brush some parts that I couldn't disassemble, and when I build one of the 5(!) other Unicorn variants in my inventory I'll remember those bits.

It's presently on display at a convention where we're running a semi unofficial contest (I made the push to complete it so there would be more stuff on the table) but I can throw up some pix later if it's of interest.

So Diana, wherever you are, I brought you a Unicorn. :smith:

Never did upload those pictures:

The pile of sticks in the fume hood are all the skewers and alligator clips I used to hold the parts while I was painting them. I bought out several Radio Shacks' worth of gator clips, and will probably never have to buy any ever again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SAW A THIRTY FOOT FAIRY WALKING DOWN YOUR STREET

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

One of my club members invited me to read his blog, and in it I found out that before he joined the club he was really dissatisfied with his life. Then he joined my club, and now he has friends who share his interests and is a lot happier. :unsmith:

It almost makes up for having to deal with another member, herp derp the "I didn't actually understand what you said but I'm going to pretend I did and keep messing up". :argh:

Also I have found the best source of poses: fixed pose anime figurines. No, seriously, those things only have one pose so the makers do their best to make it as dynamic as possible. Most kits can't fully replicate them due to a lack of chest articulation, but it can least give you ideas how to pose the weapons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literally The Worst posted:

Where's my goddamn Sazabi you bunghole

They never announce the next RG until the current one's out the door.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Dear gunpla grognards, in this video, a guy builds a nu gundam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOqkJA4G7HI wherein he uses some form of hot scalpel tool. I want to find that exact same model of scalpel or similar. I've looked around but everyone just looks at me as if I'm insane.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'm not watching an hour an a half video to find the spot where he uses that, but I know they sell soldering irons that have a holder for xacto blades. Like this.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The video calls it a "超音波カッター" or "ultrasonic cutter."

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'm not watching an hour an a half video to find the spot where he uses that

Yeah what the gently caress.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nothing like finding out you put a piece on backwards during your final check before painting. Now I have to take the drat thing apart, fix it, re-weld, and fill in all the seams again. :suicide:

In other news, the apocalypse must be nigh because I'm actually almost done with a kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Ka0 posted:

Dear gunpla grognards, in this video, a guy builds a nu gundam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOqkJA4G7HI wherein he uses some form of hot scalpel tool. I want to find that exact same model of scalpel or similar. I've looked around but everyone just looks at me as if I'm insane.

John Carstairs posted:

The video calls it a "超音波カッター" or "ultrasonic cutter."

Looks like the one you want is a Honda USW-334

Also don't forget to include timestamps for particularly long videos.