Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ActionZero posted:

If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting here, ie. that they think they're stronger for it but are wrong, then I am going to get unspeakably angry with you.

No, I'm saying that thinking that "pain is neccecary" and using that to justify what abusive people did to you is disgusting.

In an ideal world, these sorts of difficulties wouldn't exist and everyone should be protected from these horrible things. That's why I tend to stand up for other people who are in trouble, even if they are just anime characters I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clawshrimpy posted:

I suppose some people came out the other side of abuse thinking it made them a stronger person. Which I do find kind of sad and depressing.

Clawshrimpy this post makes it seem like you're insinuating those people aren't right about their situations and that you are stronger than they are/more right than they feel and let me just say this:

You are a child who had an emotional break down because someone posted a decent argument that an anime character was the villain you thought they were and you were afraid maybe you were changing your mind. On top of that, instead of giving it actual thought you shut it back and went back to "No. I am not wrong, everyone else is."

You have no right to act like you're better than anyone.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Clawshrimpy posted:

I suppose some people came out the other side of abuse thinking it made them a stronger person. Which I do find kind of sad and depressing.

LMAO, overcoming adversity and coming out the other side a stronger person is normal. What's hosed up is wallowing in victimhood for the rest of your life.

Also, thought on OKG Eps 7 & 8...

Gain and Gainer are starting to reconcile, and become comrades-in-arms if not friends. It begins with the planning session to right the toppled city unit, where Gainer sees that Gain genuinely wants to hear his ideas. They work together well in executing the plan, with Gain covering Gainer's back and keeping him focused on the mission. Finally in Ep. 8 they win the relay race together, and then go on to defeat the Dogodzos and Under Golames in a very cooperative team battle.

This is all character growth for Gainer, who's finally letting go of his resentment towards Gain for upsetting his comfortable life in Wulgusk. He's taking the adult way forward by facing his situation and making rational choices. He cares about people in the Exodus (Sara, Ana) so he's becoming part of the community and defending it.

:siren:Big theme here, letting go of resentment and moving forward is how you grow as a person. :siren:

Also interesting, the Pro and Anti Exodus factions present in the race. There must have been many people swept up in the sudden departure who didn't particularly want to go on a trek into the unknown, not just Gainer. Gainer at least had some choice in the matter, unlike some random dude who woke up one morning after a wicked festival and found out his apartment building was moving.

Edit: Also its really funny that Clawshrimpy liked Yassaba, because the guy is obsessed with strength and proving his manhood. Like every other word out of his mouth is "THIS IS HOW A MAN FIGHTS" or "I'LL SHOW YOU THE DETERMINATION OF A MAN". Also he starts crying when he gets beaten, LMAO. Dude is insecure as hell.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2015

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Clawshrimpy posted:

No, I'm saying that thinking that "pain is neccecary" and using that to justify what abusive people did to you is disgusting.

That is not what people mean if they say they're stronger for coming out of a bad situation and the fact that you're suggesting that is utterly revolting.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ActionZero posted:

That is not what people mean if they say they're stronger for coming out of a bad situation and the fact that you're suggesting that is utterly revolting.

The abuse I went through did not "make me stronger". and I find the other side of that coin revolting myself.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well, I'm convinced. Only clawshrimpy's experiences and opinions matter.

Thread over

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Polikarpov posted:

Edit: Also its really funny that Clawshrimpy liked Yassaba, because the guy is obsessed with strength and proving his manhood. Like every other word out of his mouth is "THIS IS HOW A MAN FIGHTS" or "I'LL SHOW YOU THE DETERMINATION OF A MAN". Also he starts crying when he gets beaten, LMAO. Dude is insecure as hell.

I don't see how shedding tears is unmanly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It is incredibly masculine to let your emotions show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kamille's a man's name, and I'm a man!

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 31, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

No, no, Fist of the North Star has taught me that you're only supposed to cry when you win.

We're still drawing life lessons from anime, right?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Sharkopath posted:

I actually think that's all part of his character, his yelling in combat is an act, either for Adette or his men, and later to encourage the little girl. I think Jin is an emotional caring guy deep down.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Clawshrimpy posted:

The abuse I went through did not "make me stronger". and I find the other side of that coin revolting myself.

I cannot hope to put into words quite how disgusted I am by you at this moment. I wanted to give you a chance but if this is really truly what you think then you are an awful person.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Even weirder to claim it as insecurity.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

I actually think that's all part of his character, his yelling in combat is an act, either for Adette or his men, and later to encourage the little girl. I think Jin is an emotional caring guy deep down.

Yeah Yassaba is really over his head in almost every situation but keeps moving forward to find either a solution or victory, for him the only failure can be to not even try.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

Kamina's bravado was also an act to encourage Simon :)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jin is way cooler than Kamina, but not as cool as Nono.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Namtab posted:

Kamina's bravado was also an act to encourage Simon :)

Except unlike Jin and a certain other character from a show I can't talk about, where we get to see the facade shatter more, where with Kamina we barely see that at all in the 8 episodes we get with him, so his overconfidence comes off more like it's genuine.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Actually I guess Lal'c filled the proto kamina role way more than Nono does, both those characters are more complicated than that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Clawshrimpy posted:

Your experiences are not universal.

The fact that you are suggesting otherwise is really hosed up and offensive.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

Your experiences are not universal.

The fact that you are suggesting otherwise is really hosed up and offensive.

The only thing I can speak from are my own expriences

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Clawshrimpy posted:

Did you learn nothing from the experience? No lessons on how to act or avoid or what not to do, or who to trust or distrust?

The lessons we learn from experience, pleasant or unpleasant, are how we grow as people. I wouldn't be the same person I am today with different experiences, and neither would you.

You said yourself that because of your experience with abuse you feel compassion for those being abused and want to protect them, too. That's a positive thing, and uniquely tied to your experiences. Its something that made you a better person, and I think compassion is worth cherishing no matter what its genesis was.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

Except unlike Jin and a certain other character from a show I can't talk about, we get to see the facade shatter more, where with Kamina we barely see that at all in the 8 episodes we get with him, so his overconfidence comes off more like it's genuine.

Except for the fact that you rarely see him away from Simon, and therefore you only see it once, right before a battle he's fairly convinced he may not survive, said in confidence to a girl he trusts.

It works well that way because you only get 8 episodes with him.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Except unlike Jin and a certain other character from a show I can't talk about, where we get to see the facade shatter more, where with Kamina we barely see that at all in the 8 episodes we get with him, so his overconfidence comes off more like it's genuine.

Because you find out about it being a facade after he dies and people are talking about him post mortem? AFTER ep 8?

Fucks sake.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Polikarpov posted:

Did you learn nothing from the experience? No lessons on how to act or avoid or what not to do, or who to trust or distrust?

The lessons we learn from experience, pleasant or unpleasant, are how we grow as people. I wouldn't be the same person I am today with different experiences, and neither would you.

You said yourself that because of your experience with abuse you feel compassion for those being abused and want to protect them, too. That's a positive thing, and uniquely tied to your experiences.

Yeah, all I learned was that it's better to suffer in silence and avoid conflict from adversity because it keeps me safer, and I don't know if that even qualifies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gurren Lagann is DIebuster but worse, so shrimpy should watch Diebuster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I unironically want Shrimpy to watch and review K-ON.

Is ritsu a bully???

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Grooooovin' Magic~

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Now I have the Diebuster OP stuck in my head, but I'm not complaining.

Steam
Mar 19, 2015

Namtab posted:

Say you met one of them irl and he legit apologised for bullying you back when you were both dumb kids. Would you still wish he was dead?

Sad to say but I think he would. Because it comes across as if all of that bullying is still very much in the present for him and he hasn't been able to get past and bury it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Grooooovin' Magic~

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sharkopath posted:

All discussion is a matter of top trumps of which is literally the only show you should watch. Its wrong and inefficient to watch more than one show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Artum posted:

All discussion is a matter of top trumps of which is literally the only show you should watch. Its wrong and inefficient to watch more than one show.

lol you mad cause you know its true

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I never saw Yassaba as insecure (in his masculinity at least), especially when he's willing to break down crying/be openly affectionate in front of his subordinates. I mean he's insecure in that he wants his subordinates to like him, but none of it is contingent on his (mostly traditional) masculinity.

The dude was an enthusiastic agent of SR, but his motivation comes off as the power his position gave him rather than thinking the SR was truly good. OKG didn't really show us much to establish him as evil (he attacks twice?) before he gets a redemption arc and disappears, so he was hard for me to really dislike.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Clawshrimpy posted:

Yeah, all I learned was that it's better to suffer in silence and avoid conflict from adversity because it keeps me safer, and I don't know if that even qualifies.

That is quite literally one of the most toxic thought processes I have ever read written out in type.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Clawshrimpy posted:

The only thing I can speak from are my own expriences

But you are actively dismissing the possibility that other people's experiences with being bullied may have affected them in different ways than you.

It's one thing to say "this is what happened to me and how I took it. what about you? Different? Huh, interesting!" And quite another to say "this is what happened to me, so that's definitely how it happened to you because I can't imagine it going any other way."

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nobody else matters. Either the rest of the world is wrong or clawshrimpy alone is.

He calls himself a coward, but this is true strength of belief in the face of actual evidence and adversity.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Or those of use who have been bullied don't see the Kamina/Simon relationship as remotely similar to our situation, or to bullying at all.

I never heard of you before this thread clawshrimpy but I think I can understand the frustrations others are expressing.

I won't pretend I can know your individual situation, but... my elder brother is autistic. I love him, he's my family, and I will do my best to always be there for him- but despite knowing him my whole life there are times when I have no idea what he's thinking or how he came to a certain conclusion.

Strangers certainly don't understand him. I think since they don't get how he expresses his feelings they assume he doesn't HAVE feelings, and therefore it's okay to sling horrible words his way. But my brother does hear theses things, and he does feel and he does hurt.

What these people did to my brother, and what your bullies did to you, was not okay. But you don't have to carry that pain forever. Living in a world where you see the pain you suffered projected onto everyone else can't be fun. It just lets the pain eat at you, as long as you let it.

As long as you believe that you are incapable of action or confrontation, that your only option is cowardice and hiding, then the bullies never stopped hurting you, long after they are physically not a part of your life. You let them hurt you more every day.

But you do have power! You can change and grow! My father tells me that when my brother was diagnosed, the doctor said that my father would never be able to so much as play catch with his son, that my brother just wouldn't "get" it. But my brother has graduated high school, and completed some college, and is currently in job training. Needless to say, he can handle playing catch. The point is that my brother has defied the expectations of even trained medical professionals. Some random jerkbag teenagers certainly have no measure of who he is and his potential. They don't control him. And your bullies don't need to control you.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ActionZero posted:

I cannot hope to put into words quite how disgusted I am by you at this moment. I wanted to give you a chance but if this is really truly what you think then you are an awful person.
Okay shrimpy let's do this. I was bullied quite a lot at school for things that in retrospect I really couldn't have done anything about, I don't think it was as much as you've described happening to you but it did get pretty drat bad at times. Now I'm not going to say I'm glad these things happened, but they did and there's no way I can change that, but I did learn from these experiences and I am pretty drat sure that I would be an entirely different person than I am if they hadn't happened.

But because only your experiences matter, you find the very concept of a significant chunk of who I am as a person to be revolting and are actively dismissing it. I was bullied and it made me a stronger person, you hate the idea of this. Do you see why I might be so pissed off at you for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clawshrimpy posted:

Namtab posted:

How long are you going to keep running, clawshrimpy

• Locked thread