Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can just submerge it into the ground with the tail sticking up. A crash landing doesn't have to reveal that many internal bits.

See also: The Cornfield Bomber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Putting together my first wooden boat model and I am really bad at using too much CA glue. As a result, there are glue stains all over the basswood. I'd like to apply a clear coat of polyurethane onto the wood but am concerned it will draw even more attention to my lovely glueing.

I could always just paint the deck but I am wondering if I might be able to mask the imperfections a little bit with some sort of sealing and protecting coat. Does anyone have any experience with this? There is no way I can sand this stuff off because it's so deep.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Wouldn't you use a proper wood glue for a model like that? Something like Titebond or any other cellulose or PVA based glue?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sauer posted:

Wouldn't you use a proper wood glue for a model like that? Something like Titebond or any other cellulose or PVA based glue?

I am new to wooden models but the kit is considered a novice one and in addition to the blueprint like plans, contains detailed assembly instructions (which most wooden ships apparently don't have) that indicate recommended glue types. I have been using thick and thin CA glue for the parts.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am new to wooden models but the kit is considered a novice one and in addition to the blueprint like plans, contains detailed assembly instructions (which most wooden ships apparently don't have) that indicate recommended glue types. I have been using thick and thin CA glue for the parts.

The entry level kits like that always seem to recommend CA, but I avoid CA as much as possible just because I make a huge mess and glue my fingers together and to the model or my nose or something.

I assume that they recommend the fast glue because you can just hold the parts instead of clamping them.

You can clean it up by sanding, but you need to be very careful and use flat sanding blocks, as the glue is harder than the wood so will sand down faster if you try to use sandpaper held by hand.

Acetone will remove CA, but may damage the wood.

I would suggest putting some CA on some of the scrap wood from the kit and experiment on it. When you get it nice and flat/smooth, then try some wipe-on poly and see how it looks. Use what you find out from that to decide how you need to finish the model.

Also, from what I can see on my tiny phone screen, it looks like you did a very nice job so far.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Also, register on modelshipworld.com and ask for advice there, asthe amount of experience with this sort of thing there is huge.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Locator posted:

Also, register on modelshipworld.com and ask for advice there, asthe amount of experience with this sort of thing there is huge.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10072-chesapeake-bay-crabbing-skiff-by-hekk-midwest-products-small/

Thanks for the kind words. Don't laugh at my terrible model building skills.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any forums I should be following with regards to military models, especially tanks and other AFVs?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I just posted in your thread - there is a link to my canoe build in my sig there, but I'm not sure it has any more information than this thread does, but it's all together in one spot!

For a first build, it honestly looks just fine right now, wood is pretty forgiving from the standpoint that you can always make new parts from clean sheets of basswood you can get at your local hobby store, or spare materials in the kit in some cases. Also, as you've discovered already, depending on how you plan to finish it, many sins can be covered with the use of filler and sand paper!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

COOL CORN posted:

Are there any forums I should be following with regards to military models, especially tanks and other AFVs?

Probably Armorama to start with. I know there are a handful of others that are popular, but Armorama is probably the best place to start.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Had a few pages to read though, the stuff being posted continues to amaze. That Corsair paint job was stunning.

Which kit is this from? I need it for work.

On a slightly meta-rant note, we had a model builder visit some of the vehicles I maintain the other day. He proceeded to lecture me about how they work based on his guesses from building models of them. :downswords:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

N17R4M posted:

Which kit is this from? I need it for work.

The Kettenkrad? It's an Academy kit out of a box with a 1/72 Jeep and a Kubelwagen.

e: Seriously, for work?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 28, 2015

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

kettenkrad is the best krad! I'm slowly collecting Kettenkrads of every scale they come in. The largest I have at the moment is in 1/6, the smallest is 1/700.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Molentik posted:

kettenkrad is the best krad! I'm slowly collecting Kettenkrads of every scale they come in. The largest I have at the moment is in 1/6, the smallest is 1/700.

hahaha really? 1/700? Are you sure it's a Kettenkrad? :v:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

It's about 4mm long, so it's big enough to be kettenkrad shaped. Thankfully no individual track links to worry about, but fitting a driver was impossible. For me at least...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Kettenkrad is one of the few vehicles I have in several scales. I have a 1:48th one and a 1:35th one.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

We're ketten crazy around here

and that's krad

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Kettenkrad? It's an Academy kit out of a box with a 1/72 Jeep and a Kubelwagen.

e: Seriously, for work?

Yep, helps organize stuff when you have scale models of them.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

*must contain jealousy*

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

N17R4M posted:

Yep, helps organize stuff when you have scale models of them.

I now understand why that scale model builder was yakkin' at you. You were allowed to slap him, right?

And does the Kettenkrad have rubber tracks?

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I now understand why that scale model builder was yakkin' at you. You were allowed to slap him, right?

And does the Kettenkrad have rubber tracks?

Sadly he was a rather important guest, so I had to let him talk over me.

Kettenkrad (& german halftracks in general) have the most mechanically over designed tracks in history. Off the top of my head there's around 70 invidiual parts in every single link.

For reference, the universal carrier, has two parts per link. A link and a pin.

But I digress, they are metal links with rubber pads. The rubber pads are the black things sticking out. The inner parts are metal.

edit; in case you guys need any detail references for Kettenkrad, Schwimwagen, Kubelwagen, German motorcycles, anti-tank or anti aircraft guns, feel free to ask.

N17R4M fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 29, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You may be opening the floodgates, my friend.

N17R4M posted:

Kettenkrad (& german halftracks in general) have the most mechanically over designed tracks in history. Off the top of my head there's around 70 individual parts in every single link.

For reference, the universal carrier, has two parts per link. A link and a pin.

:psyduck:

I did have a few questions about the Kettenkrad. First, how complex is the transmission? I'm guessing that if you wanted the left and right treads to rotate independently, then the transmission needs to be more than a drive shaft running to an axle. Second: where does the Kettenkrad's engine come from? It's some 30 hp Opal engine - was that a 1930s economy car engine or something? Third: how complex is the steering mechanism? I know that the front wheel at speed can make little adjustments without any change in the tread's rotation (a pretty neat little idea.) How does steering imput translate into changes in left and right tread rotation?

(I suspect that the answer to all of these questions is "a poo poo-ton of comically complex engineering" given how the tracks are.)

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

You may be opening the floodgates, my friend.

:psyduck:

I did have a few questions about the Kettenkrad. First, how complex is the transmission? I'm guessing that if you wanted the left and right treads to rotate independently, then the transmission needs to be more than a drive shaft running to an axle. Second: where does the Kettenkrad's engine come from? It's some 30 hp Opal engine - was that a 1930s economy car engine or something? Third: how complex is the steering mechanism? I know that the front wheel at speed can make little adjustments without any change in the tread's rotation (a pretty neat little idea.) How does steering imput translate into changes in left and right tread rotation?

(I suspect that the answer to all of these questions is "a poo poo-ton of comically complex engineering" given how the tracks are.)

I think it might be better if I open a separate thread for these question, since I don't want to derail this one. Lucky for you we had the engine & drive system out a few weeks back so I can very much answer all your questions.

Let me go find out where's the best place to post a thread about it & I'll post a link.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

N17R4M posted:

I think it might be better if I open a separate thread for these question, since I don't want to derail this one. Lucky for you we had the engine & drive system out a few weeks back so I can very much answer all your questions.

Let me go find out where's the best place to post a thread about it & I'll post a link.

Cycle Asylum. They won't know what the gently caress.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Midjack posted:

Cycle Asylum. They won't know what the gently caress.

I went with Ask/Tell.

I'll do my best to explain any questions you might have, feel free to poke me for close up photos for any models you're working on. Before anyone asks, I don't work on any tanks (yet), but I have an extensive archive of technical information, so feel free to ask anyway.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Hi all, I found time this weekend to panel line and then add some simple weathering to the corsair. This is all still super gloss beware.

Going to work on canopy, prop and details next then matt everything down. Pic dump incoming!

What do you think? I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out.

N17R4M posted:

I went with Ask/Tell.

I'll do my best to explain any questions you might have, feel free to poke me for close up photos for any models you're working on. Before anyone asks, I don't work on any tanks (yet), but I have an extensive archive of technical information, so feel free to ask anyway.

Brilliant thread! Looking forward to following it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looks great. I really need to work on painting skills, as stuff like this is awesome.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

big_g posted:

Hi all, I found time this weekend to panel line and then add some simple weathering to the corsair. This is all still super gloss beware.

Going to work on canopy, prop and details next then matt everything down. Pic dump incoming!

Looks awesome! The only thing Im missing are the exhaust stains though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
For my first time either putting together or painting a model of any kind, I'm pretty happy so far! I still need to do some oil washing and some dry brushing to bring out some contrast, and might do a little mud in the tires since it looks a little boring down there, but I'm definitely proud of how it's turning out.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 30, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looking good so far! Maybe a bit too dark and glossy, but otherwise great job! Definitely better then my first attempt.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

When I'm weathering German vehicles/equipment I usually do the chipping with the red oxide colour primer that was used, but what colour did the Alles prime their equipment?

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Molentik posted:

When I'm weathering German vehicles/equipment I usually do the chipping with the red oxide colour primer that was used, but what colour did the Alles prime their equipment?

Red oxide as well to my knowledge. Exept aircraft, that was that zinc based green stuff.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

COOL CORN posted:

For my first time either putting together or painting a model of any kind, I'm pretty happy so far! I still need to do some oil washing and some dry brushing to bring out some contrast, and might do a little mud in the tires since it looks a little boring down there, but I'm definitely proud of how it's turning out.

That's looking really sweet, especially for a first go. How did you enjoy it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

big_g posted:

That's looking really sweet, especially for a first go. How did you enjoy it?

So far I'm loving it! Hoping to do some more to it tonight/this week, and then I just have to decide what I'm going to do next :) I think I'm hooked!

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

big_g posted:

Absolutely gorgeous. I might start tinkering with my corsair model, any tips?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

big_g posted:

How are you doing the panel lines? I can never get that right.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Unkempt posted:

How are you doing the panel lines? I can never get that right.

I'm about to reveal to you the best magic cheat button in airplane modelling I've ever come across.

You gloss clear coat the model with future floor finish several times with thin coats leaving 24 hours to dry and cure between, use a thinned home made oil wash in the crevasses and then spend about 4 hours tidying it up with thinner and a cotton bud.

Only kidding...that's the way of the past and leads to madness! Instead just coat the Mother Fucker in a Flory wash, leave to dry and then wipe off with a moist tissue. Jobs done.

Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tliilYZuo6M

Here's me using it on the SU-27

Before shot, basically slathering the fucker on:

During shot, just using a moist kitchen roll:

After shot, not too shabby, probs took 30 mins at most:

Commissar Canuck posted:

Absolutely gorgeous. I might start tinkering with my corsair model, any tips?

Nothing generally, anything specific you would like to know?

big_g fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 30, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone is interested in trying out yet another airbrush paint, I recently tried some Createx Illustration Colors, and they might be the best airbrush paints I've tried so far. I got turned on to them through the subset of the line, Tim Gores Bloodline paints. Tim Gore is a longtime effects guy, and he put together a palette of cool shades specifically for effects and creature work, where the main Illustration line is more common shades. They go through an airbrush perfect straight from the bottle, and have a mild transparency so you can do interesting effects. They also make a reducer for thinning even further, for subtle effects at low pressure, and a transparency medium if you want to make them very transparent (although they're compatible with other stuff like Goldens transparency medium). The one downside I've found, if you can call it that, is that they're are a true "airbrush" paint, and they don't brush well at all. I tried it as an experiment on a scrap piece, and the paint mostly beaded up when brushed on.

I know a lot of the shades won't work for most of you guys since most here are into military modeling, but there might be some stuff in there that works for you, for basing or uniform painting on characters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

big_g posted:

Only kidding...that's the way of the past and leads to madness! Instead just coat the Mother Fucker in a Flory wash, leave to dry and then wipe off with a moist tissue. Jobs done.

Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tliilYZuo6M

Here's me using it on the SU-27

Before shot, basically slathering the fucker on:

During shot, just using a moist kitchen roll:

After shot, not too shabby, probs took 30 mins at most:

Nothing generally, anything specific you would like to know?

drat, I'd love doing that on the Osprey I've got unfinished for the extra detailing but then I feel like I screwed up the painting by having the paint accidentally being a bit too thick and wish I could just strip the paint of it but being a 1:72 model it's a bit too big to dig in a bath or anything.
But drat, that final result. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Things I learned by ... well... we'll say "finishing" my first model:

1) Probably a good idea to do a varnish/polish layer after the base paints.
2) A little goes a long way with oil washing
3) Mineral spirits will completely muddy up chipping effects. See #1.
4) Sigh.

It started to overall look very muddy and weird, so I called it a day on that one. I'll post pictures after everything's dry, but hey, I learned lessons!