Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Forest hexes are 90% done - I think I might drybrush a few highlights onto the trunk areas eventually, possibly even tint a few trees to a yellow tint, but we're like 90% done with these. I think I'll work on some of the other terrains first, them come back and see what still catches my eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
it's beautiful. Are you keeping it under some fabric to keep the dust off ? It looks like it's going to get in there and be a chore to clean.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Since it's clay, I imagine a little compressed air would take care of that without damaging anything.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

McKilligan posted:

Forest hexes are 90% done - I think I might drybrush a few highlights onto the trunk areas eventually, possibly even tint a few trees to a yellow tint, but we're like 90% done with these. I think I'll work on some of the other terrains first, them come back and see what still catches my eye.

I think the yellow tint would be very useful in differentiating the color of the trees from the turf.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Some of the Sheep posted:

I think the yellow tint would be very useful in differentiating the color of the trees from the turf.

I was going for an effect sort of like this,

But with more variations on yellow and not so much saturated green. Sort of like a very late summer / early fall where just a few of the trees have started to turn yellow. I'm going to try and give slightly different tints to clumps of trees to make it look more patchwork and a little less uniform.

Right now I think I'm at a really good stage for a base color - I'll just drybrush the different tones on top of the colors I've already got. I can leave most of the trees as they are and just tweak a couple on each to get it where I want it.

I think I'll also add a little more neutral brown/green to the forest floor around the bases of the trees.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just want to say - that game board is awesome.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, if I could ever get someone to agree to play Settlers with me, I'd think about building one of my own.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, if I could ever get someone to agree to play Settlers with me, I'd think about building one of my own.

See, I'm the kind of dummy that would build one with the intent to some day get a chance to play. :downs:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

McKilligan posted:

I was going for an effect sort of like this,

But with more variations on yellow and not so much saturated green. Sort of like a very late summer / early fall where just a few of the trees have started to turn yellow. I'm going to try and give slightly different tints to clumps of trees to make it look more patchwork and a little less uniform.

Right now I think I'm at a really good stage for a base color - I'll just drybrush the different tones on top of the colors I've already got. I can leave most of the trees as they are and just tweak a couple on each to get it where I want it.

I think I'll also add a little more neutral brown/green to the forest floor around the bases of the trees.

Sounds awesome, I can already see the colours popping.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm working on a haunted dollhouse for Halloween, and I'm about 80% done with the construction. I've started to take some pictures and once I get the construction and lighting done, I may create a thread. Pinterest has a ton of help on wiring and miniatures, and I've got some great ideas for the haunted house. I'm building it from a kit since I'm a beginner, and I can't get the corners perfectly correct, but the house is supposed to be a little dilapidated and some of the walls crooked, so I'm okay with the flaws. I may create a thread once I get more photos, but I'd be happy to collect any ideas you guys have or if you have any advice, especially about lighting. I'm hoping for an average amount of lighting, but I'd like for it to be flickering, so maybe set some of the lights up with a timer to make them flash occasionally when they're on?

So far, my ideas are:

--ghost coming through the wall
--mirror with ghost trying to escape it
--a couple of crows, ravens, or owls chilling on the roof
--something subtle and spooky peeking out a tower window
--a scary "lab" or torture chamber
--obviously, some bats
--maybe something coming up out of the attic floor?

Here is the base of the house I'm using:

Obviously it won't be this pretty beige/white; I'm thinking deep gray slate color or a deep red with black stains running down the exterior. Plenty of the shingles, windows, and trim will be broken, and I'd love a wrought iron staircase, but it doesn't fit with the kit's dimensions. I do have a diagram for one, so maybe I'll try it and run it down the back of the house and maybe add a balcony to the back window.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Spent a large part of the past week painting and re-painting everything. Every single piece has been re-painted at least twice (3 times in the case of the wheat) to get the colors juuuust where I want them in terms of hue and saturation.

I also found some neat superglue - Loctite GO2 Glue, which dries clear over like 24 hours. It's nice and thick, so I put a generous dollop on top of each of the number tokens, I really love the effect.

Probably going to tackle the mountains later tonight or tomorrow.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's awesome McKilligan. I don't even know what that game plays like, and I want to play it on that board. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Looking great! But how are you going to handle the ports?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Looking great! But how are you going to handle the ports?

Cardboard port tokens from the original game! My camera isn't great and these pictures look a little less saturated than the pieces are in real life, everything looks hella vibrant in person.

Edit - finished the motherfucker!

And closeups of the individual pieces. Now to break the drat thing in with it's first game! Shouldn't be too hard to wrangle a few people.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The little Totoro I made for my kid cousin and came here to post looks terrible in comparison to that. :v: Good job!

Waiting for some finishing-needles to arrive, so I can take down all the fuzzies and fix the nose, I lost/broke all my yellow ones.

Do we still have a needle felting thread?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Decided the time to redo our kitchen floor was with a 3 month old baby.

Old floor. This was floated, so wasn't that difficult to remove. Hardest part was that there was some glued down paper under some parts from who knows what previous flooring. Most was so old it came up with a spatula after soaking.

While it wasn't so bad, the old owners had a wall removed in the center of the room, and laid down tile in the missing groove instead of wood floor. It grated on my OCD, often stubbed my toe, and with a baby who will soon be crawling, I hated it. Here is a tiny resolution photo of the groove starting from the oven leg. (previous owners furniture)

Also there was a sliding door closet, with tile in front of it. We think this used to be the old kitchen area, hence the tile floor. Either way, going from wood, to tile, to wood, to tile was very silly, hard to sweep, and we nearly never used the storage in this closet.

And another picture of that tile, after the closet was removed.

Gluing down the new floor had to be done in stages, AND all of those cabinets, sink and fridge had to be moved for the first rows. We had to wait til our son was in bed with the door closed on another floor, because the glue was quite fumey. I think overall the floor was glued down in 5 separate stages, and lacquered in 4 stages.

Here is how the finished product looks (minus the trim). This was with 3 coats of matte lacquer.

And the new counters and cabinets that replaced the sliding closet. (planning next month to get wall mounted cabinets that all that mess on the counter top will go into)

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

poopinmymouth posted:

Floor project

That new floor is absolutely gorgeous. Good job!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Nice, new floor. That matte finish is great. That kitchen sink looks kick-rear end, and are those homemade liqueurs/infusions I see? Also, the countertops have me hard.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Nice, new floor. That matte finish is great. That kitchen sink looks kick-rear end, and are those homemade liqueurs/infusions I see? Also, the countertops have me hard.

The kitchen sink is actually from the old owners, and is Ikea, if you would believe it. Old countertops are solid wood the new slab is particle board core with about 5mm of real wood around the outside. Price difference between the particle board and real wood was several hundred dollars, and we only plan to use this for extra space and appliances, not food prep, so it won't get much wear/tear.

Yep, my husband makes home made wines. I believe that is raisin and blackberry from the store, and rhubarb and currant sourced from our garden.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 10, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have no patience for home type renovation work but even I wouldn't lay down some weird tile strip in the middle of a floor to fill a gap and call it done - heck it sounds like it wasn't even level with the rest of the floor. Your results look amazing.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
This was what I promised my mother for Christmas 2013 and I just finished it. Oh well.

The frame is solid oak with mortise and tenon joints. I slotted everything on the router table and the slots are shared between the solid oak tenons and the plywood panels. I left the plywood panels floating (one mistake - I should have stained them before assembling so there is no chance of shifting exposing unfinished panel, but that would have required more forethought).

The table top, shelf and keyboard drawer are solid oak 1x2's. I have a small jointer but I don't fully trust it at the moment, so it's just raw home depot 1x2's glued up after inspection and light sanding. I glued up 4 12" wide panels which could be run through my planer, then joined two of those for the table top. I really like this technique for making nice solid table tops. Earlier on I was going to use plywood with pocket holed edge trim but this is better and easier.

The table top got a slight roundover on the router table and is fastened with a combination of 4 screws and those table top fastener things on the sides. I cheaped out and used pocket holes to attach the shelf and the front piece on the keyboard drawer.

Pocket holes are nice because you can add stuff in after the fact but they still take a surprising amount of time to do and finish and they really like to "walk" as you screw them in. They also risk splitting, and did in a few places, especially in oak. If I were doing it again I would have just slotted the shelf too and I think it wouldn't have taken any additional time overall.

Overall it came out well with a few blemishes in the stain finish (one coat minwax red chestnut and one coat english chestnut to darken it a bit) from excess glue which I hadn't noticed and sanded off. In once place I had to sand off the finish/glue and do it over.

I know I spent a solid two days (16 hours) planning and buying lumber and getting the frame together. Then it was probably another 16-24 hours at least finishing it on and off over a few weeks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm not reading 72 pages so someone point me in the right direction.

Want to do some roomba modding, make it smarter (mapping) and controllable via phone.

I know there are lots of pre-made kits for bluetooth and wifi capability, but I'd like to take a crack at building it myself from scratch

Recommendations ?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Sappo569 posted:

I'm not reading 72 pages so someone point me in the right direction.

Want to do some roomba modding, make it smarter (mapping) and controllable via phone.

I know there are lots of pre-made kits for bluetooth and wifi capability, but I'd like to take a crack at building it myself from scratch

Recommendations ?

The Learning Electronics-thread in this forum has some pretty smart people in it

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I bought a Harbor freight trailer last fall and put it all together then. I couldn't get it hooked up and take it for a ride because the coupler was hosed up and needed fixing. It has been too cols for me to bother until this week. Took it for a quick joy and ideas yesterday, and used it today to go pick up some pallets. I'll take some pictures of theb[semi] finished trailer here in a bit.

Why pallets for the first load? My wife decided she wanted a pallet wall in her new laundry room. So today I'm breaking down 13 pallets to get it done. I'll have a progress update later tonight with pictures of trailer and all.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
I

Dead Pressed posted:

I bought a Harbor freight trailer last fall and put it all together then. I couldn't get it hooked up and take it for a ride because the coupler was hosed up and needed fixing. It has been too cols for me to bother until this week. Took it for a quick joy and ideas yesterday, and used it today to go pick up some pallets. I'll take some pictures of theb[semi] finished trailer here in a bit.

Why pallets for the first load? My wife decided she wanted a pallet wall in her new laundry room. So today I'm breaking down 13 pallets to get it done. I'll have a progress update later tonight with pictures of trailer and all.

I just built on of the 1195lb folders. Put stake sides on it and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I made the mistake of keeping my red harbor freight trailer outside and now it's my pink and rusted harbor freight trailer.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Okay. So here's the pallet wall progress.

The room started with stripes as shown on the left. My wife thought it would be a neat overlay on the original white walls that the house came with when we first purchased it. She then decided that was incorrect and wanted to repaint it. Enter the green to the right.

So, after she finished painting where she could, we went to go pick up some heat treated pallets. $3 a pop, got way too many, but we'll use the extra for firewood.

Maiden voyage on the trailer went alright. Checked the lugnuts after my 15 mile round trip, and all four had backed about 1/2 off on my left rear tire---going to have to get that fixed. Otherwise, worked like a charm.

Oh my, that's a lot of work to get a few slats of wood... I went through two harbor freight sawzalls after I decided burning my battery powered porter cable wasn't worth it...

As I toil away on breaking the pallets down, she's staining away.

We continue until dark, at which point we give up. Ms. Heidi is glad to get some 'tention.

This morning, ran to get some OSB from Lowe's, got that painted and started up on the wall.

Wife hiney!

Going to start putting the boards up now, we'll see how it goes!

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 29, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is how you take apart pallets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtPmUZ-k3aI

Not sure what you were using a saw for.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is how you take apart pallets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtPmUZ-k3aI

Not sure what you were using a saw for.

Because that method utterly destroyed the pallets I have?
Attempting to manhandle 5 nails at each joint is a fools battle.

The sawzall was used as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbLpwGhCOJU

Anyways, progress for now (lighting really bad):

Parts look unlevel in the photos, but its just where boards have bowed and there are slight gaps.

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I had no alternative to the hammer method because there was no electricity at the plot yet. Destroyed the first pallet, but it got a lot cleaner with practice and understanding cantilevers and poo poo. On the other hand, yeah, a wide variety of pallets, made from a variety of materials. Works great with some; others are a write off from the start. And I suppose for your purposes, the standard for the result was pretty high too.

I think I just had to comment because the idea of sawing through nails is like a nails scraping on a chalkboard to me. Turns my stomach. Fundamentally wrong somehow. I'll recognise that's not necessarily entirely rational.

edit: looks nice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If you're taking apart pallets, the pellet pal gets good reviews I think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKFGIjPSvI

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
And the wall is done.

Pretty happy with the results. Would do things a little differently next time, namely be a little more selective on pallets. Bowing of certain slats really made it a pain in spots.

Wife is happy, and the room is ready for a new washer and dryer for delivery tomorrow... So all is good.

Also, just noticed not all of the cinder blocks are painted. Will have to take care of that tomorrow. Jesus Christ the previous owners of this house were loving lazy. I could make a whole thread on their wtf decisions...

Dead Pressed fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Never even heard of a 'pallet wall' before. Thanks for sharing, very interesting. It came out pretty nice.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I was skeptical at first, but it turned out really nice. Looks great. Question though, are those pallets treated against pests or did you treat/seal them before you installed them?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
He mentioned they were heat-treated pallets, so there shouldn't be much of an issue with chemicals.

Looks nice. I've seen so much lovely pallet furniture and other things on r/diy that I get pretty blasé seeing a project, but I think your wife's staining made the wall look pretty cool.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Well, all done!

As far as the treating goes, I know for a fact that the wide slats are heat treated. I think the others are as well [came from same plant] but I'm not 100% sure. All were personally stained and sealed with polycryllic so most nasties should be taken care of. I maybe should be more concerned, but I'm not. Oh well!

I've got some more pallets remaining, I think I'll make a dog crate out of those, or something. Got to rid of them somehow.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Dead Pressed posted:

Well, all done!

As far as the treating goes, I know for a fact that the wide slats are heat treated. I think the others are as well [came from same plant] but I'm not 100% sure. All were personally stained and sealed with polycryllic so most nasties should be taken care of. I maybe should be more concerned, but I'm not. Oh well!

I've got some more pallets remaining, I think I'll make a dog crate out of those, or something. Got to rid of them somehow.

Wow, that looks great!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I like it.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

McKilligan posted:

Cardboard port tokens from the original game! My camera isn't great and these pictures look a little less saturated than the pieces are in real life, everything looks hella vibrant in person.

Edit - finished the motherfucker!

And closeups of the individual pieces. Now to break the drat thing in with it's first game! Shouldn't be too hard to wrangle a few people.

Can you make an album of all your pictures? Wanna save it and show it to people because god drat that's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
I finally got around to giving my office the much needed facelift it deserved. Especially since I work from home.

Here are the before pics. Granted I moved in about 7 months ago and just threw all my office poo poo in there knowing I'd go through it later.

After the remodel.

- Tore out the carpet
- Installed hardwood flooring and trim
- Wallpapered the accent wall
- Changed out the lighting (this is in the before pics but it was a ceiling fan)
- Printed out some photos to hang, got some new furniture and another monitor
- Did some serious cable management