Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

"Witness. WHOOOOOO."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

rejutka posted:

Also, I refuse to live in a world where Karsa is not played by Conan Stevens and voiced by Ric Flair. :colbert:

Hahahaha, Ric Flair?!?!?!?!?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Young Karsa is Ric Flair as gently caress. :colbert:

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

rejutka posted:

Also, I refuse to live in a world where Karsa is not played by Conan Stevens and voiced by Ric Flair. :colbert:

I'd actually say that Michael Page's best voice and the only one I really genuinely like is his voice for Karsa. It just fits, for some reason.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I swear Esslemont handed his books off to a ghostwriter after RotCG, because good lord do they get really really really lovely to an almost unbelievable extent.

It's disappointing that he got to brutally genericize expand on the more interesting / unique regions of the world while Erikson went off the deep end into the navel-gazing prose of TCG and his new series.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Rime posted:

I swear Esslemont handed his books off to a ghostwriter after RotCG, because good lord do they get really really really lovely to an almost unbelievable extent.

But Night of Knives was good...?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Spermy Smurf posted:

But Night of Knives was good...?

Maybe for generic fantasy, but not Malazan Book of the Fallen good.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

Maybe for generic fantasy, but not Malazan Book of the Fallen good.

I thought it was terrible for all sorts of fantasy, and shouldn't have been published for Malazan at all.

I was just wondering why they said "after Return of Crimson Guard" it turned to poo poo when NoK was before it and worse than anything I've read in the last ten years. And RoTCG wasn't even a good book, there were good scenes though.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I've said it before, you guys are way too hard on Esslemont.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Baudin posted:

Although he improves book to book, he can't quite seem to stop constructing clunky sentences and overly elaborate mysterious POVs for no particular reason.

Also Kyle. Always and forever Kyle. loving Kyle.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baudin posted:

Stonewielder & Orb, Scepter, Throne were trash. There is no other word to describe the treatment given to what should have been truly amazing fleshing out of secondary lore. Especially OST, gently caress that book.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Rime posted:

Stonewielder & Orb, Scepter, Throne were trash. There is no other word to describe the treatment given to what should have been truly amazing fleshing out of secondary lore. Especially OST, gently caress that book.

I rather enjoyed those two v0v

Clearly my literary tastebuds have been degraded over time from reading too much lovely 80's and 90's fantasy novels, of the teen kind, when I was younger. The equivalent of drinking bleach for my mind, I suppose. What were those terrible books called again? They had a ton of weird furry/bi-sexual/trans content in it which was only passing weird at the time for me.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

rejutka posted:

Although he improves book to book, he can't quite seem to stop constructing clunky sentences and overly elaborate mysterious POVs for no particular reason.

Also Kyle. Always and forever Kyle. loving Kyle.

I think you mean Kylaalindlasidoseurowienas.

Rime posted:

I give ICE nearly as much poo poo as anyone else here who gives him a lot of poo poo, and I have to say I enjoyed both of those books and think they're his best. Yes, the material could have been given a better treatment, but Erikson isn't going to have an opportunity to flesh out ALL of the stories being told in the world, so I'm not going to hold that against him.

The Kiska stuff was terrrrrrrible, however. In fact, thinking on it, Kiska just seems to take all the life out of whatever she's featured in. NoK, the Leoman scenes in OST that would have otherwise been perfectly enjoyable, Tayschrenn, etc...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Ross posted:

Does Crokus ever become interesting? I can't tell why or if I'm supposed to care about him. [halfway through Deadhouse Gates]

Finally got around to reading these and now I'm at about the same place as you and I was just about to ask this very question. He's an annoying little poo poo, isn't he?

At least the rest of the current gang is interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He gets more interesting but never (IMO) stops being an annoying little poo poo.
edit: VVV Hell no. Felisin is a good character. I like Felisin.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 7, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Crokus is the Felisin of dudes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Crokus is the Felisin of dudes.

Eh, his storyline at least has some redemption and badassery.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will I really have to read the Esselmont books to get more focus on the Crimson Guard? I really liked Iron Bars &co. in Midnight Tides.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

zeal posted:

Will I really have to read the Esselmont books to get more focus on the Crimson Guard? I really liked Iron Bars &co. in Midnight Tides.

Yes. In many ways you'll wish you hadn't though. Maybe it was the removal of mystique or maybe it was the writing quality.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

zeal posted:

Yes. They don't appear in the main series at all after...Midnight Tides, in fact, I want to say.

However, if you like Iron Bars, ICEs treatment (really of all of the CG) is not terribly satisfying. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Do yourself a favor and don't read Assail.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Now I know why they call you 'Iron Bars' lol xoxoxo ;-*

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I think I'll just leave the mystique intact and not read Esselmont at all.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
That sucks, I've been waiting to hear more about Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard in general (I'm on the last chapter of the Bonehunters [HOLY SHIIIIIT!!!]) and it's disappointing to know that they were left to an inferior writer.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
This Crimson Guard talk reminded me of one of the few parts in Assail that I liked: the moment where the big secret about the Guard gets revealed. Esslemont completely telegraphs it with his clumsy hints, but I still thought this was a good line:

'We offer our greetings to the D'Avore T'lan Imass. The Red Clan.'

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
I just started this series and oh my god is it a roller coaster ride. Everything from deeply tragic but satisfying character deaths to making you do a 180 on characters as they genuinely change and grow. Jesus, I just read the first few books of The Storm Light Archive and then decided to jump into Malazan, Book of the Fallen series while I waited for the next Stormlight Book. Its been a long time since I have been swept up into a series like this. Just started Tides of Midnight. Already trying to piece together what is going on there. I have come to love all the little easter eggs Erikson has scattered through the whole series. I have spent a lot of time going "OOOOOOOH!" when something clicks in my head. Never read anything this complex nor this intense! Sorry if this is a bit breathless.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Juaguocio posted:

This Crimson Guard talk reminded me of one of the few parts in Assail that I liked: the moment where the big secret about the Guard gets revealed. Esslemont completely telegraphs it with his clumsy hints, but I still thought this was a good line:

'We offer our greetings to the D'Avore T'lan Imass. The Red Clan.'

You know, I've read it, but I was so dissatisfied with the book and generally slogging to finish it more out of impetus than desire, that I don't even remember what the secret IS.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Shockeh posted:

You know, I've read it, but I was so dissatisfied with the book and generally slogging to finish it more out of impetus than desire, that I don't even remember what the secret IS.

If you cant figure it out from that quote I am unsure what to say.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Spermy Smurf posted:

If you cant figure it out from that quote I am unsure what to say.

I guessed it was that, but genuinely don't remember anything of it happening.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It was so slow, pathetic, and telegraphed that it was easy to forget it was supposed to be a big reveal.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have not read Assail, but I recall something about that being mentioned in one of the books. Maybe it was a T'lan Imass talking to a Crimson Guardsman and making the comparison?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aranan posted:

I have not read Assail, but I recall something about that being mentioned in one of the books. Maybe it was a T'lan Imass talking to a Crimson Guardsman and making the comparison?

Yeah, I forget the specific but there was an allusion along those lines made by a T'lan some of them encountered.

Bellicose Buddha posted:

I just started this series and oh my god is it a roller coaster ride. Everything from deeply tragic but satisfying character deaths to making you do a 180 on characters as they genuinely change and grow. Jesus, I just read the first few books of The Storm Light Archive and then decided to jump into Malazan, Book of the Fallen series while I waited for the next Stormlight Book. Its been a long time since I have been swept up into a series like this. Just started Tides of Midnight. Already trying to piece together what is going on there. I have come to love all the little easter eggs Erikson has scattered through the whole series. I have spent a lot of time going "OOOOOOOH!" when something clicks in my head. Never read anything this complex nor this intense! Sorry if this is a bit breathless.

Just wait till a reread, when you realize they're not so much easter eggs as a ton of history, mythology, and general background that doesn't all jump out at you until your third time on a given book.

When you finish Midnight Tides, come back, read this spoiler, and let us know if you catch that the Edur Bugg kills at the end is the one QB and co. stumble across, it having washed up from the ocean, in MoI.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

When you finish Midnight Tides, come back, read this spoiler, and let us know if you catch that the Edur Bugg kills at the end is the one QB and co. stumble across, it having washed up from the ocean, in MoI.
I think realizing this on my second read-through of MT was what catapulted this from "pretty drat good" to "my favorite fantasy series".

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

I was really really proud that I figured it out the first time I read it - I didn't need to do a reread to link the two together.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Baudin posted:

I was really really proud that I figured it out the first time I read it - I didn't need to do a reread to link the two together.

Yeah, that was probably one of the more obvious references and definitely clicked when it happened in MT.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
I'm wondering:

Did anyone consider how the "plot" and setting of Bloodborne are exactly (imho) what Night of Knives should have been if it had been done to its full potential?

Not to say the book in its current form is total crap. I actually think not even Erikson could have done it that well. But Bloodborne feels to me like "Malazan done right".

Now think Bloodborne done in the scale of Malazan :)

(for reading straight about Bloodborne, if you have no idea what the plot is about : http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/04/09/whats-really-going-on-in-bloodborne )

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Nearing the end of DG for the second time.

Just finished the end of the chain of dogs. Goddamn, so many tears were shed. It hit so much harder the second time around. Corporal List, Bult, Coltaine. :cry: Also nice to see Blistig before he became a huge dick. It's so easy to forget where all the characters like Keneb come from.

I also can't help but really want someone to make a movie of The Chain of Dogs and follow that entire arc. It would be so loving awesome as a standalone movie.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Yarrbossa posted:

Just finished the end of the chain of dogs. Goddamn, so many tears were shed. It hit so much harder the second time around. Corporal List, Bult, Coltaine. :cry: Also nice to see Blistig before he became a huge dick. It's so easy to forget where all the characters like Keneb come from.

I also can't help but really want someone to make a movie of The Chain of Dogs and follow that entire arc. It would be so loving awesome as a standalone movie.

I've got to agree, when I was reading DG for the first time and experienced the whole Chain of Dogs event-chai n with its incredible bleakness, mind-blowing perseverance and the tragedy of Coltaine and Co. I couldn't help but think of it in terms of some amazing theatrical epic. Frankly I'm shocked that it hasn't been made into a movie, it's so ripe for it.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Also, I just finished The Bonehunters; possibly my favorite book so far, along with Midnight Tides and Memories of Ice.

Onward to Reapers Gale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?

Yarrbossa posted:

I have been listening to the audio books while at work and was driving home while listening when I got to the part where Coltaine dies and the High Fist and the god drat nobles he saved start making GBS threads all over his memory and sacrifice. Never been quite as satisfied to have a fucker die as when Duiker kicks that fat son of bitch so hard in his double chins that it breaks his neck. Anyway, I was so caught up in it and angry at what was happening that I unconsciously started speeding. Was going waaay to fast and managed to realize it before a cop noticed.

Bellicose Buddha fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 10, 2015