Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Rannos22 posted:

Yeah I seem to recall previous seasons being more tightly edited and paced. Its kinda weird they're burning through all the major events I recall from the last two books and yet it still seems like they're dragging their feet.

It's almost as though the major events from the last two books weren't anything like as interesting or memorable as those from the first few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Who's excited for Silicon Valley Season 2 tonight??

I've been looking forward to it all week! Good poo poo that show.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

Funny, I was thinking for all the material they cut, they still manage to have a bunch of pointless scenes.

Are you insinuating that the genius behind adaptations such as X-men Origins: Wolverine and 2004's Troy and his partner with no screenwriting experience prior to Game of Thrones may not be the best choices for adapting a meandering fantasy series that even the author doesn't know how to end the American Tolkien?

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
I don't know whaaaaat the hell they're doing with Brienne anymore. Maybe she just says "gently caress it" and lives with Pod in a hut somewhere, not serving anyone

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Regulus74 posted:

Are you insinuating that the genius behind adaptations such as X-men Origins: Wolverine and 2004's Troy and his partner with no screenwriting experience prior to Game of Thrones may not be the best choices for adapting a meandering fantasy series that even the author doesn't know how to end the American Tolkien?

This is an interesting point of this series that I've never really thought about until this post.

In most other fantasy series it's all about the quest, revealed fairly early in the story and everything builds towards this ultimate goal or confrontation or whatever. Just a few examples:

- Lord of the Rings
- Wheel of Time
- Harry Potter
- Most of David Eddings stuff

ASOIAF isn't like that, it's just here's what's going on in this world and these people's lives with no clear end in sight at any point. I guess it's sort of building towards a battle of some sort with The Others and Bran's tree-ghosting bullshit will probably be involved somehow and I assume the dragons will do something relevant eventually.

Malazan would be another exception I guess, among series I'm familiar with.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just watched the episodes. Holy poo poo have they gone off the rails. I wouldn't be surprised if the next ep features Arya being nominated as Lord Builder at the Wall.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
I'm thinking that Krakens and Ice Spider Wights will make an appearance. Lots of references to "oily black stones" and "deep ones." Ironborn are definitely mermaids too.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just watched the episodes. Holy poo poo have they gone off the rails. I wouldn't be surprised if the next ep features Arya being nominated as Lord Builder at the Wall.

plz no spoilerz

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

The problem is that the dumb ridiculous things people throw out are often better than whatever GRRM will deliver!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ross posted:

This is an interesting point of this series that I've never really thought about until this post.

In most other fantasy series it's all about the quest, revealed fairly early in the story and everything builds towards this ultimate goal or confrontation or whatever.

Harry Potter isn't really like that. The first couple books are kind of "let's stop (and eventually fail to stop) the Bad Guy from coming back" but the quest to actually stop him for good isn't revealed until midway through the second to last book.

Similarly, the plot from something like The Dresden Files has morphed from "Wizard detective does odd jobs" to "there's a conspiracy in the Wizard Council" to "there's literally Cthlulu things that are trying to end all of existence".

The "main" conflict of ASOIAF (that is, ice zombies) has been known since the first chapter, way more than either of those two other series.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I was hoping to see Cersei's box out on the street of King's Landing sometime this season, I've somehow gotten a shitload of it already, just not in the way I thought. Showmakers staying true to da spirit of absolute fuckery

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Harry Potter had a protagonist and an antagonist in it from the start.

Who are the protagonists and antagonists in A Song of Ice and Fire? Whoever you answer there will be an entire book or two between appearances.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

computer parts posted:

Harry Potter isn't really like that. The first couple books are kind of "let's stop (and eventually fail to stop) the Bad Guy from coming back" but the quest to actually stop him for good isn't revealed until midway through the second to last book.

Similarly, the plot from something like The Dresden Files has morphed from "Wizard detective does odd jobs" to "there's a conspiracy in the Wizard Council" to "there's literally Cthlulu things that are trying to end all of existence".

The "main" conflict of ASOIAF (that is, ice zombies) has been known since the first chapter, way more than either of those two other series.

If you want to be pedantic I suppose that is correct about HP, but "Let's stop X from returning" trends pretty naturally into "X has returned nonetheless but let's defeat X now." I haven't read Dresden Files so I can't speak to that.

In any of those series I mentioned, you can succinctly state in a sentence the central conflict or quest/goal/whatever of the protagonists that drives the story along fairly directly. I don't think you can do that with ice zombies in ASOIAF. Maybe I'm not explaining this clearly, but the role of say Voldemort or Sauron in their narratives is not much like that of ice zombies in ASOIAF. Very few if any of the characters are making their decisions and taking their actions because of the looming threat of The Others, even if they end up ultimately being the "main bad guy" in the series.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Asoiaf is written from the Pov of unreliable narrators so it's not that odd for the overarching story in the series to be obscured a bit.

it's still a lovely way to tell a story this complex.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Did Gurm leak it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It'd be a fine way of writing it if something was advancing the plot. If ice zombies are the real antagonists what percentage of the series deals with them?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

savinhill posted:

I was hoping to see Cersei's box

:quagmire:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

It'd be a fine way of writing it if something was advancing the plot. If ice zombies are the real antagonists what percentage of the series deals with them?

To go back to Harry Potter, very little of the first 4 books directly (at least without looking in retrospect) deals with Voldemort. Even the sixth book doesn't deal with him as a present threat but primarily establishes how he came to be the way he was.

Everything at the Wall at least does deal with the ice zombies. The only distraction in that plot (Wildlings) are directly because of the ice zombies, and they even say as much on screen.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

savinhill posted:

Did Gurm leak it?

On multiple occasions I'm sure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'd be with you if this was The Adventures of Jon Snow and only wall related chapters were in there. Even if Harry Potter doesn't fight Voldemort in most of the novels he's always present because Harry himself is connected to Voldemort. Each book does have its own nice neat little independent arcs of course.

In GoT we have stuff at the wall, Old Nan and one novel of Ned saying "winter is coming". This is what percent of the overall text?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

pls stop spoiling Harry Potter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

nooneofconsequence posted:

pls stop spoiling Harry Potter.

thank you

i haven't finished the books or the movies

please be considerate y'all

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Its time
The fat man shall cry

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They'd have to kill Tyrion for GRRM to cry

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The weird thing about the Malazan plot is how the "endgame" only appears in the final book. There's no real indication leading up to that book that neutering the Crippled God will do anything, certainly not fix the universe or whatever the gently caress.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

Its time
The fat man shall cry

I think HBO is actually a little salty. The usual suspects were rounded up after they leaked half the season last night.

e: I mean they're doing a good job trying to monetize this trash fire and I hope it works out well

Very entertaining so far

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
"The future is poo poo, just like the past" new thread title/mantra.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I remember in like 1998 or 1999, I was in highschool and 100% disappointed that the ice zombies plotline wasn't resolved in the first book.. Every time there was a wall chapter I'd wait for something to happen. If only I knew..

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Lung posted:

"The future is poo poo, just like the past" new thread title/mantra.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I think a good 40% of these episodes take place in brothels.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Did they just kill Tormund? That might be the guy GRRM was so :smug: about.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

madre de dracos! :monocle:

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

TK-42-1 posted:

I fear you might be right but here's hoping he lives; I like him!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
What are you guys talking about? Tormund watched Mance almost-burn.

I think Mance for-real died, not Rattleshirt.

Also looks like Jaime becomes Jaimé next episode and Arya starts to learn the assassin's creed as well.

Oh and lol Sansa's going to marry Ramsay

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

visceril posted:

What are you guys talking about? Tormund watched Mance almost-burn.

I think Mance for-real died, not Rattleshirt.

Also looks like Jaime becomes Jaimé next episode and Arya starts to learn the assassin's creed as well.

Oh and lol Sansa's going to marry Ramsay

Yeah, if they've cut Jeyne Poole out of the HBO plotline then they probably don't need Mance either. Just tell Jon directly that Ramsay has Sansa and let the stabbing commence.

HBO Littlefinger just wants to see the world burn.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't see why Mance is dead for sure. I mean, he probably is, the show is not subtle, but that scene went down pretty much the same way in the books, and you don't learn until after that Melisandre swapped them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't see why Mance is dead for sure. I mean, he probably is, the show is not subtle, but that scene went down pretty much the same way in the books, and you don't learn until after that Melisandre swapped them.

rowan atkinson grrm saying "magic *snort*" and then giving you that look

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone made a good point in either this thread or the spoiler thread in TVIV. Everyone was expecting this season to go into WoW territory because of how some characters have reached the end of their DWD arc. But it appears those characters are just going to take on the roles of characters that were cut. So I guess GRRM gets a years reprieve before he's lapped.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No, in the book Rattleshirt died screaming "I'm not Mance! It's a trick!" In the show, Mance gave a speech about dying honorably and then went quietly to his own horribly painful death. Why the gently caress would Rattleshirt, or anyone else, do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You're too young and your tits are too small, get off my porch little girl

-Tywin Durden