Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Let me also clarify that these guys were actually really nice, and treated me very well and respectfully. They paid a premium white glove service. From an IT perspective, it was a really good place to work.They'd give me projects with no budget restrictions just an understanding that they wanted it done, and done right. They also had a fully stocked galley kitchen, catered lunches and dinners, and would often take me and the other IT consultants out to really nice dinners when they celebrated milestones in the funds performances.

Yup. When these guys are raking in millions for the company, they just want them as happy as possible or else they'll jump ship. I had a short term contract at a financial firm and one of their brokers created a several page report with numbers on how he would have increased efficiency if he had a second desktop with two monitors attached to it. He didn't want four monitors on one PC, he wanted two desktops and two monitors on each. He got what he wanted.

Overall I saw that the big earners on the floor treated the IT guys and lower rung people nicely as long as you did your job. It was the administrative assistants, middle managers, and financial analysts that treated IT like poo poo. Every time I ran into one of the big earners at the bar they would always buy a round for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Spazz posted:

Yup. When these guys are raking in millions for the company, they just want them as happy as possible or else they'll jump ship. I had a short term contract at a financial firm and one of their brokers created a several page report with numbers on how he would have increased efficiency if he had a second desktop with two monitors attached to it. He didn't want four monitors on one PC, he wanted two desktops and two monitors on each. He got what he wanted.

When they'd hire a new guy I'd always end up in a meeting with him and the fund partners, where the new guy would ask for something ridiculous like a full rack blade server. One guy asked for just, and got it. A 16 bay top of the line HP blade server with just tricked out hardware and blades, I installed it and set it up for him, but since it was sort of "his" he changed all the administrator passwords and locked me out of it. About a year later they fired him since he was just a real prick. The managers had no idea what he was doing with the blade, and I just unplugged it and it sat dormant for a couple years. Eventually I pulled it out of the rack and they dumped it on eBay.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Venusy posted:

Found out why my supervisor wants to remove DHCP from our branches: the branches are not trusted to power in their own workstations. So each morning, a huge script - a mess of PowerShell, netsh, and regexes - runs to grab workstation names, IPs, and MACs from DHCP, output to CSV, then uses that to send the Wake-on-LAN magic packet. Same CSV is then used to turn them off at night.

I'm not seeing anything in the WOL part of the script that needs the IP address. I think a static CSV of names+MAC would work if anything needs to be static.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I have so many stories. Sorry to keep telling anecdotes, but one time a hedge fund I worked for called me at 6am. I happened to be at another client nearby. The elevator had broken so they couldn't get into their office. There was a door by the back entrance up the fire stairs, but it didn't open from the outside. The guy said "I don't care what you have to do, but we need to get into the office so we can trade!" I asked him why he called his IT guy of all people, and his answer was basically "you solve problems. so solve this one."

I ended up getting a sludge hammer (there was construction going on in another floor) and beating their door down so they could enter the office. I made sure the owner was there, so when the alarm went off and the police arrived I wasn't arrested.

If a group of people that are generally respectful to you as the IT guy ask you to gain access because it's a problem and you're good at solving problems, then I'd say that's actually one of the highest forms of praise from end users :3

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

When they'd hire a new guy I'd always end up in a meeting with him and the fund partners, where the new guy would ask for something ridiculous like a full rack blade server. One guy asked for just, and got it. A 16 bay top of the line HP blade server with just tricked out hardware and blades, I installed it and set it up for him, but since it was sort of "his" he changed all the administrator passwords and locked me out of it. About a year later they fired him since he was just a real prick. The managers had no idea what he was doing with the blade, and I just unplugged it and it sat dormant for a couple years. Eventually I pulled it out of the rack and they dumped it on eBay.

He probably just wanted a faster computer than everyone else. Someone told him that servers are fast, so he spec'ed an expensive server and then asked for that. Salesmen at my last job used to ask for Xeon servers to use for word processing for the same reasons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Spazz posted:

Stuff like that is really trivial, compared to the value of revenue that goes through them. Hell, you could give them a complete new PC + phone every 2 months and it wouldn't even make a blip in the cost vs revenue for that person.

For most people, a faster PC and a second monitor would make a significant improvement in their work.

It still surprises me how mean some companies are when it goes to this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You've never worked at a hedge fund, I take it. You don't tell a room full of 35 year old trust fund babies that each make 500k/year to turn off their monitors. You hire someone to come in and do it for them. When I supported their training floor, I had to be in at 730am, and go through a checklist of items before any of them came in to verify everything was good. First item on the list: turn on all the TVs and set them to CNNMoney and Bloomberg TV. If this was not done, there was an angry email sent to my manager.

Let me also clarify that these guys were actually really nice, and treated me very well and respectfully. They paid a premium white glove service. From an IT perspective, it was a really good place to work.They'd give me projects with no budget restrictions just an understanding that they wanted it done, and done right. They also had a fully stocked galley kitchen, catered lunches and dinners, and would often take me and the other IT consultants out to really nice dinners when they celebrated milestones in the funds performances.

Yes, these were the guys that asked me to beat down a door with a sledgehammer (lol misspelled before), and at $250/hour, I'd do it again in a second.

You make dealing with the capitalist devil sound very appealing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › More poo poo that pisses you off: Forcible entry will cost you $250/hour

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You make dealing with the capitalist devil sound very appealing.

I honestly really enjoyed the job, it was nice to have a client that didn't care what something cost, and was willing to invest in doing everything right.

Ynglaur posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › More poo poo that pisses you off: Forcible entry will cost you $250/hour

This was not my first forcible entry job, nor was it my last. I've picked a few server rack locks with my handmade lock pick sets for clients, as well as opening up an alarm panel to fix a broken door lock relay when my company didn't pay the vendor for the install and they refused to give us service.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
I just had a PM tell me that my company isn't buying mice and keyboards for a new operations center. Instead they're going to buy these keyboard+touchpad combo units because they're cheaper.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Belial42 posted:

I just had a PM tell me that my company isn't buying mice and keyboards for a new operations center. Instead they're going to buy these keyboard+touchpad combo units because they're cheaper.

And they will totally yell at the workers when their productivity goes way down. "just adapt to the trackpads they were cheaper"

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

And they will totally yell at the workers when their productivity goes way down. "just adapt to the trackpads they were cheaper"

I sent them links to cheap mice and keyboards that come in at the same price point as that combo unit. I wouldn't wish that combo unit on anyone for a full day's work.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Baronjutter posted:

And I'm sure they're going to work to deny any potential Woker's Comp claims for carpel tunnel!

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Belial42 posted:

Wireless, not Bluetooth. Hope you guys never have to type sensitive information.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Spazz posted:

Wireless, not Bluetooth. Hope you guys never have to type sensitive information.

Implying people who seriously want sensitive information can't already get it from snooping any kind of keyboard, including wired and bluetooth.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Belial42 posted:

I use this for my htpc at home and can't imagine using it for getting actual work done. You work with morons.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I have one of those for my NetFlix computer, and it's just barely tolerable for that. It sucks to type on and the track pad is lovely and unresponsive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Belial42 posted:

Sounds like a fun "break it open and see if you can solder a USB cable in" project.

I bet the whole thing's slapped together as a USB hub that transmits USB frames over bluetooth. Rip out the bluetooth, simple four wire solder job, drill a little hole in the back for the cable to go through, close 'er up, hide the cable, see if management notices.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
At an old job of mine, they cancelled custodial service in people's offices. If you had an office and wanted it vacuumed, you had to go down to the custodial area and borrow a vacuum and do it yourself. There was no super-secret information, it was officially a cost-saving measure. Sure, let's save costs by paying someone triple (at least) what we pay a custodial person to do that same work.

Those keyboards are going to "save money" in the same way, in the long run.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

To my understand supervisors, managers and executives do get bonuses based on how under or close to budget they go, so this makes total sense. We can make millions in MRR but 50% of our workforce is on hardware outside of warranty, or >3 years old. We're a tech company that won't spring for SSDs and a chunk of our customer support staff are still running on Pentium D processors.

Yay for cheapness.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

retard old guy configured a server and since he can't type or spell he called it MBSEVER

SEVER

mewse
May 2, 2006

motherboard sever

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

retard old guy configured a server and since he can't type or spell he called it MBSEVER

SEVER

Why has your company not severed?

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

Spazz posted:

I understand that Logitech uses encryption on the wireless keyboards, with AES 128 even. No idea if their implementation is worth anything, I have not been able to find any reports of people reverse engineering their unifying adapters.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Bob Morales posted:

SEVER

reminds me of poo poo that is pissing me off - Adults in the Workforce with no grasp of basic english/grammar.

This guy I'm corresponding with for the past few months has some choice emails such as

quote:

Gyshall,

AT&T want us to test this dialer client for drop session. It is like a VPN client software ,,, This MIGHT help our laptop users, but not THIN CLIENT users!

quote:

Gyshall,

There are no update on certain servers. The WSUS is not up and running, It Was Removed for Some Reason. Had this problem with MS Exchange Servers.

Has to be created or move these servers out from restricted OU Policies.

and the thing pissing me off most about this guy and this client - they refuse to do work in their High Availability datacenter during the day and won't vMotion guests unless it is after-hours. The company is an 18 hour a day business, too. It has taken us a month and a half to do basic reconfiguration and upgrades of their hypervisors because these clowns are more afraid of getting yelled at when stuff isn't working then having a half-working datacenter.

I'm talking no multipathing (single NIC iSCSI with no redundancy) misconfigured cores on multiple critical virtual machines (ie. high 100% CPU use on terminal servers, one socket one core terminal servers, etc.) a single 2008 R1 file server for a 500+ employee company, a single 2007 Exchange mail server, etc.

quote:

I have discuss with Kevin on Host 11,,,, It Might Have to be done after hours . it has some of Major VMs.

quote:

47/48 okay right now!!!!

56/57 had problem this morning. We kill one user InterNet Explorer session.

As far as I can tell this guy is in a 6 figure position, can't write emails, and hasn't done anything but open tickets with vendors for the past year of his employment.

Indecision, Lack of Confidence, and Incompetence are loving infuriating, I'm glad this guy is only a client.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bob Morales posted:

SEVER

I have a server named MBSERVER. Sometimes I want to sever it. Does your MB stand for Mortgage Builder?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
poo poo that pissed me off a few years ago:

My company was a consultant worked for MAJOR TV NEWS STATION. We sent them a new product to demo, the server component was a server running Ubuntu that ran our application. The MAJOR TV NEWS STATIONS IT Director received the server, and flipped out. He sent me an email with the following text:

quote:

I have no idea what UBUNTUS is, or what it means, but I will not install a server that I can't install McAfee anti-virus on and that can't be joined to my Windows Active Directory Domain, please remove UBUNTUS from this server and install regular Windows and your application. I can't have something that will be an opening for viruses on my network.

I attempted to explain to him what Linux was and that just made him angry. He had no idea what Ubunutus was and refused to work with it. This guy is in charge of a MAJOR TV NEWS STATION's network.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

My company was a consultant worked for MAJOR TV NEWS STATION. We sent them a new product to demo, the server component was a server running Ubuntu that ran our application. The MAJOR TV NEWS STATIONS IT Director received the server, and flipped out. He sent me an email with the following text:

I attempted to explain to him what Linux was and that just made him angry. He had no idea what Ubunutus was and refused to work with it. This guy is in charge of a MAJOR TV NEWS STATION's network.

I would get angry at UBUNTUS also. :colbert: RHEL or Debian stable is so much better.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Gyshall posted:

reminds me of poo poo that is pissing me off - Adults in the Workforce with no grasp of basic english/grammar/etiquette.

Today has blessed me with a single line email requesting fixes to issues that have already been made minus any punctuation or greeting as well as a blank email with the question in the subject. I responded in the subject line, of course.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

icehewk posted:

Today has blessed me with a single line email requesting fixes to issues that have already been made minus any punctuation or greeting as well as a blank email with the question in the subject. I responded in the subject line, of course.
Was your subject line a link to pastebin? :allears:

mewse
May 2, 2006

We had a local tech conference yesterday so my coworker sent out a list with which of us would be going to which sessions.

My manager replied to the email and said "mewse is in red" and had highlighted the name of one of my chosen sessions in red.

That was the entire communication. What does red mean?!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mewse posted:

We had a local tech conference yesterday so my coworker sent out a list with which of us would be going to which sessions.

My manager replied to the email and said "mewse is in red" and had highlighted the name of one of my chosen sessions in red.

That was the entire communication. What does red mean?!!

The suspense is killing me. Did you ya know, ask him/her?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

The suspense is killing me. Did you ya know, ask him/her?

I'm trying to impart the sense of wonder that I felt upon receiving the message

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

spog posted:

Stuff like that is really trivial, compared to the value of revenue that goes through them. Hell, you could give them a complete new PC + phone every 2 months and it wouldn't even make a blip in the cost vs revenue for that person.

For most people, a faster PC and a second monitor would make a significant improvement in their work.

Some people are surprisingly anti having a second screen at all - we tried to standardise on dual screens a couple of years back but a bunch of people asked for a single instead. Also we had to keep some 19" panels around because some people complained about anything bigger.

With PCs it makes sense to be smart about things - to be honest I noticed very little difference going from a Core2 Duo to a desktop IVB i7 for normal office work. Adding an SSD is a game changer though, should be mandatory these days.

Cactus Jack posted:

I use this for my htpc at home and can't imagine using it for getting actual work done. You work with morons.

Ditto.

Also I can't understand how those are possibly cheaper than a normal wired keyboard and mouse - we can't stop HP from shipping them with every new desktop without paying extra for them to specially remove them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mewse posted:

I'm trying to impart the sense of wonder that I felt upon receiving the message

So you did? You didn't? Come on man, don't leave us hanging!

:ohdear:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I sent a reply asking "what does the red mean?" and she said "that's a good session for you to go to."

I felt like it was a nutshell example of how screwed up communications are in my dept

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes, these were the guys that asked me to beat down a door with a sledgehammer (lol misspelled before), and at $250/hour, I'd do it again in a second.

Yeah, I'd bend to just about anything at that pay level. Invested correctly, that's financial independence at the high end of a middle-class standard of living in 5 - 7 years.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There's McAfee for Ubuntu v:shobon:v

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

luminalflux posted:

There's McAfee for Ubuntu v:shobon:v

I'm picturing psDoom, but with McAfee's face and a hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gyshall posted:

reminds me of poo poo that is pissing me off - Adults in the Workforce with no grasp of basic english/grammar/etiquette.

Offsite guy asked us where our quote was for a license for Office for Mac.... he never asked us for this ever.

He then emailed us a couple days later asking why we sent him a quote for Office for Mac. At which point this isn't "users being stupid" but a "dude are you like, ok?".

I'm sure we're going to get an IT request from him eventually for bird bones and a copy of Simcopter because the Faceless Woman that Lives in His House asked him . Of course, it's as always, VERY URGENT.

Speaking of Macs, this one user shows up and suddenly instead of the Dells they all have this user is so special that she must have an iMac and a copy of Office purchased for her personal laptop. The politics in that place are going to become apocalyptic :allears:. They already have issues with keeping asses in chairs.