Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Thanks, and sorry - I'd had no idea that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pistol_Pete posted:

A classic of Western literature that will still be being read in 100 years.

I read every word of it & enjoyed it, too

It makes me very happy to see that people are still reading that story.

It also reminds me that I need to write some more. It's been way too long since the latest Doc Eldar piece.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
People were acting like this was news, but GW's been doing this since the late 80s at least. My dad published a game with "Space Marines" in the title back then since it used to be a generic term and the GW legal team went after him anyway.

Arquinsiel posted:

Basically that as far as I can tell. They did the same with the paints a while back, and they're all co-incidentally slightly different and lower quality. Again.
Different yes, lower quality no. The only paint I've found is worse than the old one is black, oddly enough. Everything else has been absolutely wonderful to work with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Huh, odd. Every one I've gotten has been super thin and thanks to my nerd project ADHD a couple have actually dried out without ever being opened.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kylaer posted:

It makes me very happy to see that people are still reading that story.

It also reminds me that I need to write some more. It's been way too long since the latest Doc Eldar piece.

It's good writing.
And yes you do.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Arquinsiel posted:

Huh, odd. Every one I've gotten has been super thin and thanks to my nerd project ADHD a couple have actually dried out without ever being opened.

The newer ones seem to need a really good shake compared to the old, but then you could say the same about VMC

Quality wise no complaints though.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The biggest drawbacks are the pots. I had an unopened chardon granite that I was saving because it is a rad colour to paint base edges with. Crack the seal and it is dried. I want to peg it at my local GW stores managers dumb seppo face

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Big Willy Style posted:

I want to peg it at my local GW stores managers dumb seppo face

Don't kick a guy when he's already so very down

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Big Willy Style posted:

The biggest drawbacks are the pots. I had an unopened chardon granite that I was saving because it is a rad colour to paint base edges with. Crack the seal and it is dried. I want to peg it at my local GW stores managers dumb seppo face

How dried? Most of my dried up paints have been at least temporarily salvageable with a few drops of water and a poke/stir with a toothpick.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Ah yes let's try to trademark Imperial Guard, a term in common usage for no poo poo centuries at least.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hunterhr posted:

Ah yes let's try to trademark Imperial Guard, a term in common usage for no poo poo centuries at least.

Trademarks do not work that way, lots of trademarks are for otherwise ordinary words

Sent from my Apple

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Helicon One posted:

How dried? Most of my dried up paints have been at least temporarily salvageable with a few drops of water and a poke/stir with a toothpick.

Hard as a bullet, literally no moisture in there whatsoever.

Sorry for hobby chat in the book thread

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hunterhr posted:

And that's why they made the bogus latin Astra Militarum name.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Mange Mite posted:

Trademarks do not work that way, lots of trademarks are for otherwise ordinary words

Sent from my Apple

Ah right. I'm a long way out from Media Ethics 101.

Anyway I just finished Pariah...

...did I just read literature?!
:stare:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Help me out guys. I'm a modest 40K nerd and I picked up the first book of Gaunt's series the other day on the recommendations of the OP, but I've made it about halfway through and the book actually seems kinda bad? Part of it may have been coming at it with the wrong expectations. I've just finished the Culture Series and plowed through the Expanse Series (Leviathan Wakes, etc) pretty much as they were released. I understand those books are very far removed from a 40k action series, but maybe my idea of good scifi has shifted since the last time I read a 40k novel was borrowing some from a friend in high school.

Even still, assuming he's basically writing Band of Brothers meets Grim Darkness, I feel like the book has some serious flaws. The biggest issue is that the narrative characters, especially Gaunt, are meant to be hardened veterans who have seen it all too many times to be impressed. What this seems to mean is that the action scenes are emotionless sequence of events where the 'drama' comes principally from the size of the craters their artillery leaves behind. Combine that with the fact that Gaunt is protected by a narrative shield strong enough to protect the Death Star and behaves as though he's aware of it and it's really hard to get invested in any of the battles. He has done a good job of building up some of the notable characters, so maybe this will get better later on when he has developed a big enough roster to start killing them off dramatically.

There are also some absolutely cringe-worthy dialogue moments. Dravere going out of his way to refer to the troops under his command as ants was a painfully hamfisted characterization of a not particularly original character, and I had to put down the book and laugh at it a little when the Warehouse shootout was set up by having one of the character tediously explain to the other two that they were stealth experts like he was reading an info bulletin off a brochure or something as a very transparent method of explaining things to the audience. The overall pace of the book also throws me off. I get that it's not trying to be a 700 page doorstopper, but it's hard to get into an action sequence that begins and ends on the same piece of paper even when the character involved doesn't have a 1+ plot save.

It's still a lot better than poo poo like Basilisk Station (proper trash unfit even to wipe an rear end), but I'm having serious second thoughts about finishing the book, let alone continuing the series.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The first book is, indeed, terrible! Or at least I thought it was too. My understanding is that the first book is basically a collection of short stories that were tied together by some new writing. The books actually do get a lot better, but you have to soldier through at least a book or two before you get there. I actually a skipped the first novels or two myself and missed absolutely nothing, but listen to the wiser and nerdier advice here before take my word here!

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So what's actually happened with Warhammer Fantasy and this end times bullshit? I haven't been keeping up, I thought it was some horus heresy esque novels of fluffy bullshit which didnt actually mean anything, not the literal destruction of the planet. What's actually happened and what is it affecting?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The first book is, indeed, terrible! Or at least I thought it was too. My understanding is that the first book is basically a collection of short stories that were tied together by some new writing. The books actually do get a lot better, but you have to soldier through at least a book or two before you get there. I actually a skipped the first novels or two myself and missed absolutely nothing, but listen to the wiser and nerdier advice here before take my word here!

I can deal with that, the books are short enough, though frankly I'd probably just look up a synopsis rather than paying B&N or Black Library prices for something I'm using as a poorly written appendix of characters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually quite like the first book. Also, they aren't that big a set of veterans yet, it's only been about a year and some since their founding.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The first sucks, keep reading

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also reading the first Gaunts Ghosts straight after reading the Leviathan and the Culture series, no poo poo you thought "Hmm, there seems to be a significant difference in quality here".

Not trying to be snobbish, I have read a ludricous amount of Black Library stuff but let's be honest. 95% are basically pop-corn books. Fun stuff to read on the way to work sort of thing.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The collection of short stories was Ghostmaker, which is #2, but you're not wrong about the first book anyway.

Anyone who gets through reading the Founding part of Gaunt's Ghosts will really appreciate the uptick in quality once the Saint arc gets going, though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

maev posted:

So what's actually happened with Warhammer Fantasy and this end times bullshit? I haven't been keeping up, I thought it was some horus heresy esque novels of fluffy bullshit which didnt actually mean anything, not the literal destruction of the planet. What's actually happened and what is it affecting?

World went boom and Warhammer Fantasy is over because Chaos won. No, this is not a joke.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hunterhr posted:

Ah right. I'm a long way out from Media Ethics 101.

Anyway I just finished Pariah...

...did I just read literature?!
:stare:

It sure felt like it to me. Abnett re-invented the top tier with Pariah. Betrayer and the Night Lords series by ADB come close, but ADB's writing crutches become more obvious with time, while Abnett's old writing weaknesses have mostly faded.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I didnt like Pariah because I wamted Eisenhorn and/or/vs Ravenor and I was pretty disappointed most of the way through. It was good, but not what I wanted.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Deptfordx posted:

Also reading the first Gaunts Ghosts straight after reading the Leviathan and the Culture series, no poo poo you thought "Hmm, there seems to be a significant difference in quality here".

Not trying to be snobbish, I have read a ludricous amount of Black Library stuff but let's be honest. 95% are basically pop-corn books. Fun stuff to read on the way to work sort of thing.

Yeah, I realized that while I was writing, but I still went in hoping for a more Band of Brothers suspense novel than a Schwarzenegger explosion flick.

It was just a bit of a shock since from reading the thread, Abnett was supposed to be the good one.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, I realized that while I was writing, but I still went in hoping for a more Band of Brothers suspense novel than a Schwarzenegger explosion flick.

It was just a bit of a shock since from reading the thread, Abnett was supposed to be the good one.

It's one of Abnett's first 40k books, if not his very first. He gets really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still baffled by all the fellating the saint arc and necropolis get in this thread. The only good book in the sain arc was straight silver, and sabbat martyr just sucked. The lost arc is loving fantastic however

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SRM posted:

It's one of Abnett's first 40k books, if not his very first. He gets really good.

To be fair, this is true, he does get a lot better. If you haven't read it yet Voyager try the Eisenhorn omnibus.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I didnt like Pariah because I wamted Eisenhorn and/or/vs Ravenor and I was pretty disappointed most of the way through. It was good, but not what I wanted.

I totally get why some people didn't like it. It's such a slow burn through the first half, and if you came in expecting Ravenor/Eisenhorn right off the bat it was definitely a let down.

I loved it though. It took it's time setting up all the pieces, and kind of subverting your expectations. That slow introduction of Eisenhorn in the temple and you know what's going on a little more than Bequin but not that much more.

And then Gregor body checks a loving Chaos Marine in the stairway and I had to stop reading and get up and go for a smoke and walk around for a bit because it was literally too much :black101:

I think the one thing Abnett does a little better than ADB is payoff for the things he's previously set up. And that's been one of the best payoffs I've ever read. Even better than the best moment in the original Eisenhorn trilogy.

Cherubael
Yesssss
Kill it.

Edit: gently caress it I'm gonna read it again.

Hunterhr fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 19, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I wish the next book would just come out already, but it's been set aside because they want him to write a bunch of other stuff first. ARGH! :negative:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Vadoc posted:

I wish the next book would just come out already, but it's been set aside because they want him to write a bunch of other stuff first. ARGH! :negative:

I'm hoping Abnett has it set aside and is just taking the time to work the series into his masterpiece

Not gonna lie I finally got around to reading Pariah and was like 'Holy poo poo the next book isn't out yet?'

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Finished the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus and was pleasantly satisfied. There is definitely a lot of repetition throughout the book, but the footnotes and interludes from Sulla and other "authors" are interesting in their own right. Working on the second omnibus and looking forward to more of that lovable, manipulative bastard.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Amberley Vail's footnotes :3:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hunterhr posted:

Amberley Vail's footnotes :3:

I loved these and the Imperial propaganda quotes between chapters. Cain gets really repetitive after a few books, but man those first few are fun.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

SRM posted:

I loved these and the Imperial propaganda quotes between chapters. Cain gets really repetitive after a few books, but man those first few are fun.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
:v:

Just rereading the first omnibus now myself. As black library's release schedule has slowed to a glacial pace. Seriously, I think the last book I picked up was 3 months ago.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Abnett has written an awful lot of one-offs I'd love to see sequels to, to be honest. Double Eagle being the top of the list - I still have the hardback with the two pages about the suicide printed in reverse order kicking around.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I read a Cain omnibus and it was pretty good for a laugh, but my god how many times is she going to recycle the "Cain volunteers for nominally dangerous assignment far away form where he anticipates main action > Cain uncovers additional, vastly more dangerous enemy plot > Cain is forced to engage and overcome newly discovered threat at great personal risk, is celebrated for heroism" structure?

Having only read the first ominbus, I am going to assume the answer is "every time".

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Voyager I posted:

I read a Cain omnibus and it was pretty good for a laugh, but my god how many times is she going to recycle the "Cain volunteers for nominally dangerous assignment far away form where he anticipates main action > Cain uncovers additional, vastly more dangerous enemy plot > Cain is forced to engage and overcome newly discovered threat at great personal risk, is celebrated for heroism" structure?

Having only read the first ominbus, I am going to assume the answer is "every time".

...she?

Also, yes, quite a lot. There's one or two books where he gets volunteered or forced into the nominally-less dangerous mission, but you've got the general gist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Sandy us usually short for Sandra and Alexsandra, I thought Sandy Mitchell was a chick at first too.