Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brick Brigade and Brickmania are pretty active groups, they sell various military equipment built of lego. Costs a ton because they have to source the bricks themselves but their constructions feature heavily at various lego conventions and look pretty darn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hopefully Mega Blok quality has increased since they were bought out by Mattel, but even then they have this horrible problem with useless custom pieces. Instead of giving you baseplates to build things out of, they give you one custom slab that LOOKS like a bunch of pieces put together, but isn't.

Speaking of which, is Kreo any good? Their stuff seems alright, although I still think Lego is the only company that "gets" how to do things properly.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Hopefully Mega Blok quality has increased since they were bought out by Mattel

Based on the Hello Kitty set my daughter got last Christmas, it has not.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I'm more interested in this thing because now I've gone and looked up "pinball emulation cabinet", because that's what it looks like it must b,e and discovered these are a thing that exist in the world and I must have one.

Unfortunately I'd have to get rid of all my Lego to make room for one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alabaster White posted:

Speaking of which, is Kreo any good? Their stuff seems alright, although I still think Lego is the only company that "gets" how to do things properly.

Kreo is actually surprisingly good. They're the only non-Lego I'd let mix in with actual Lego, the quality being near identical. It's just a shame that any of the official sets they design with it look like utter pap.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm more interested in this thing because now I've gone and looked up "pinball emulation cabinet", because that's what it looks like it must b,e and discovered these are a thing that exist in the world and I must have one.

Unfortunately I'd have to get rid of all my Lego to make room for one.

That's exactly what it is! I built the entire thing myself too! :)

Here's a quick game play video of it -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9joz2W8pUc

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Based on the Hello Kitty set my daughter got last Christmas, it has not.

Oh dear. At least it's not Sluban :gonk:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

mattfl posted:

I got some new shelves for my Lego this past weekend, specifically for my modulars. I was running out of space on the shelves I had them on so decided to go a little different route.

With work in progress Detective Agency. Just finished the first book last night and must say this is a super fun build so far, love the pool table!

This shelf is still a work in progress. Eventually the Kwik E Mart and Simpsons House will sit on the top of this one and the Town Hall will go on another floating shelf.

None Lego and Lego living on the same shelf, ack!

Holy poo poo your house is gigantic. I am jealous.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Holy poo poo your house is gigantic. I am jealous.

It's a pretty standard 2100sq ft. 4bed/2 bath house. That's my office/game room that my wife lets me have my way with lol.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

mattfl posted:

It's a pretty standard 2100sq ft. 4bed/2 bath house. That's my office/game room that my wife lets me have my way with lol.

Your house is gigantic. 4 bed 2 bath is unheard of here. I wish I had an entire room to dedicate to my toys :smith:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is admittedly off-topic, but where do you live that a 4BR house is gigantic and unheard of? Downtown in a city?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think affordable 4 BR houses are mostly an American thing where the only limitation is how many cornfields you want to dig up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

This is admittedly off-topic, but where do you live that a 4BR house is gigantic and unheard of? Downtown in a city?

England. Our houses are all pretty tiny compared to American homes.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

England. Our houses are all pretty tiny compared to American homes.

When I went to visit my friend in the US, her mother apologised for having such a small home on the way from the airport. It turned out to be the largest house I had ever been inside.

No Lego inside though, so it sucked anyway I guess :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

To bring this slightly back on topic... my Lego collection has to share space in my office. Which is the 2nd bedroom in our condo. Unless you have a giant collection, it doesn't really need its own room.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winnipeg is getting a LEGO store! :neckbeard:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I can't find a McLaren P1 anywhere without a huge markup. This is dumb. I hope Lego floods the market with a second run of these.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ville Valo posted:

I can't find a McLaren P1 anywhere without a huge markup. This is dumb. I hope Lego floods the market with a second run of these.

Yeah I picked up a 918 and just assumed I could easily grab a different car later, but they're just wiped out everywhere I've been.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My local lego store had all of them in stock when I was there last week, but maybe I just got lucky.

The 918 is the best anyways because it's a ton of light grey parts. :v:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The 918 is by far the most common / unsold.

I snatched up a La Ferrari and now they're starting to disappear too, but the P1 is nonexistent, and my Lego store said since they're backordered on Lego.com they don't expect they'll get anymore either. ToysRUs and the like were all out of everything but the 918.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm guessing if they are selling that well they will probably make plenty more eventually. Didn't they just come out?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I finally got the Ecto 1. Even aside from my fondness for SOS Fantomas, this was one of the most fun models I've ever built. It feels like a very "clever" model with lots of interesting techniques. It has inspired me to try and duplicate it with grey bricks, i.e. the ambulance before it gets a makeover, as well as try my hand at doing a MOC of the Ecto 2.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

My lego store as well had all the sets on the shelves. Thought about grabbing the P1 yesterday when I was there, but I'm saving for the Helicarrier

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm probably the last one to notice this, but I am so getting this when it's released. They did such a good job with it.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/52042

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I don't think Lego's version has been announced yet. There's still time for them to pull another Delorean on us.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

The Rage posted:

Thought about grabbing the P1 yesterday when I was there, but I'm saving for the Helicarrier

The P1 is pretty cheap and easily the nicest of the bunch (I have P1, 918, La Ferrari, and GT2). I'd recommend that car to anyone who has ever been interested in lego vehicles, it is a fun build and looks great.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I thought WALL-E was one of the latest approved Cuusoo projects or am i dreaming?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is, he means they haven't announced the actual set design

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What was that set that looked cool, but had some big flaws, like having to bend a technic axle or somesuch? Or am I remembering wrong? I stumbled on the 24 Hours Race Car and I want to know if it's good before hoping it spontaneously appears in my house.

VV: Well that's a bummer. :smith: Thanks regardless.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 21, 2015

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Serperoth posted:

What was that set that looked cool, but had some big flaws, like having to bend a technic axle or somesuch? Or am I remembering wrong? I stumbled on the 24 Hours Race Car and I want to know if it's good before hoping it spontaneously appears in my house.

That was it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I put together the 24hr car today and I don't see what the complaints are about? It was a pretty fun build and the car looks great. It probably should have come with the power functions built in but I feel that way about any technic set that doesn't.

I really like the suspension design and the new wheel bearing pieces are great, even if they are single-purpose.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah I'm super excited for that 24 Hour car. But not enough to pay the import markup in the US right now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

That's exactly what it is! I built the entire thing myself too! :)

Here's a quick game play video of it -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9joz2W8pUc

Gunna need some more info. Specifically do you have Medieval Madness?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Gunna need some more info. Specifically do you have Medieval Madness?

I currently have about 95 tables, and yes MM is one of my favorites!

Let's see if I can do this, there's a pinball thread on here where I have a bunch of info

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361132&pagenumber=299&perpage=40#post440105262

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361132&pagenumber=304&perpage=40#post441096426

If you've got specific question feel free to email me - mattfl @ gmail.com

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

I currently have about 95 tables, and yes MM is one of my favorites!

Let's see if I can do this, there's a pinball thread on here where I have a bunch of info

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361132&pagenumber=299&perpage=40#post440105262

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361132&pagenumber=304&perpage=40#post441096426

If you've got specific question feel free to email me - mattfl @ gmail.com

I'm going to email you, that thing is :krad:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Building Jabbas Palace and the rancor pit together is kind of bittersweet. Jabbas Palace is a really cool set all around, but the Rancor pit just sucks and makes the palace look worse when you attach them. Really seems like they were just banking on people buying a $60 set for a Rancor minifig. I guess you get the fat guy that cries when the rancor dies which is pretty dope. He even has a crying face. Other than that it's basically just 4 pillars and a gate that you can't even see once it's built. The worst part about that set is that is comes with Jedi luke, but he has no cloak or even a green lightsaber, just a loving bone and the palace itself doesn't include him for some strange reason.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah the pit is all about the play features. If you don't enjoy dropping guys in there and dropping the gate on the rancor you're a monster (or not a monster?)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah don't get me wrong the pit dropping is the best part (that's mostly part of the palace though. At least the trap door is) , but even if I was a kid playing with this and not an old man putting children's toys on my shelf, I think I would have been meh on the pit and just pulled the rancor out to play with it, since it's so drat small and just looks like something that broke off of a partially built Lego castle. The gate isn't really even big enough to squash his rear end. The Rancor should have just been it's own little set for like 12 bux, but Lego knows what they can get away with.

At the same time it's not like i'm going to get rid of it, cause it comes with a Lego Rancor and I want a drat Lego Rancor and his fat friend. At least in the minifig dept those 2 sets together are really awesome. Boushh Leia is probably my favorite of any of my minifigures.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

NESguerilla posted:

Building Jabbas Palace and the rancor pit together is kind of bittersweet. Jabbas Palace is a really cool set all around, but the Rancor pit just sucks and makes the palace look worse when you attach them. Really seems like they were just banking on people buying a $60 set for a Rancor minifig. I guess you get the fat guy that cries when the rancor dies which is pretty dope. He even has a crying face. Other than that it's basically just 4 pillars and a gate that you can't even see once it's built. The worst part about that set is that is comes with Jedi luke, but he has no cloak or even a green lightsaber, just a loving bone and the palace itself doesn't include him for some strange reason.

I agree that the pit is pretty bare, but to be fair about Luke, he couldn't have the lightsaber because R2 currently has it. He definitely should have the cloak, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I remember reading this awhile back and saved the link, a guy did it with 2 rancor sets and it was so much better.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78309