Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Suzaku posted:

This one from Paasche isn't terrible and has a tank.

This one from Iwata kicks a fair amount of rear end, but doesn't come with a tank.

e:

Handpainting is totally an option. You'll still need to spray the primer on, but you can use rattlecans for that. You can also use rattlecans for painting, though if you're going to do that often you may as well get an airbrush--cheaper in the long run, better control, more color and paint choices, etc.

What you need to buy depends entirely on whether you want to handpaint, spray with rattlecans, or airbrush. And if you're spraying, what type of paint you'll be using, whether it's feasible to paint outside, etc.

Ah those are very cool. I'm not too worried about having a tank since I've got a like, 30 gallon air tank on the shop compressor in my garage if i really need to spray quietly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

muike posted:

Ah those are very cool. I'm not too worried about having a tank since I've got a like, 30 gallon air tank on the shop compressor in my garage if i really need to spray quietly

In that case, I'd really recommend the Iwata. They can both get hot, but my Paasche eventually sprung a leak somewhere that I could never track down. The Iwata has been nothing but awesome for me. If you'd prefer not to spend the scratch, the Paasche will hold you for a while, though.

Also, for whatever reason, the Iwata tends to stick in place better than the Paasche, which liked to twerk around my work table.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

loving finally. Now for AADEs and then decals... It doesn't end, does it?

Also, it turns out that Origin Time screwed up and sent me a duplicate part for the right side instead of the left side piece I actually needed. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn how to plaplate. :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hahaha, oh my god they're releasing 1/144 fixed-pose punching hands.

This is actually kind of useful, so I hope they release 1/100 versions too.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

1/44 Punch Hands sounds awesome. I love posing my God Gundam and Build Burning because they have the most dynamic hands of any HG.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha, oh my god they're releasing 1/144 fixed-pose punching hands.

This is actually kind of useful, so I hope they release 1/100 versions too.

There's certainly enough them to make a set from. Disappointing that they didnt include the flat-palm hand though.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Anyone in the UK have a recommendation for top coat? Is the humbrol matte enamel spray okay?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Punching hands would be great for my HGUC Zeta. Right now he's just fist-pumping because his weapons don't fit and his beam sabre is a stick molded onto a hand.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dotJPG posted:

Anyone in the UK have a recommendation for top coat? Is the humbrol matte enamel spray okay?

I used Humbrol matte acrylic spray and it was perfectly fine.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've heard (secondhand so pinch of salt) that Halfords automotive paint sealant works great too.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Thanks, that's really helpful! I'll give the humbrol acrylic a go since my local model shop stocks it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Gunbuster preorders go up at 4pm Japan time on the 1st but please don't take my one.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I wonder how easy it would be to scratch build beam sabres out of sprues with a bit of plaplate and a pin vice.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I bet you could do some cool exaggerated mid swing shapes.

It'd take some practice, but it's certainly an idea!

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 30, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just ordered Sazabi vKa. Super pumped. Haven't built a gundamn in months

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

Gunbuster preorders go up at 4pm Japan time on the 1st but please don't take my one.

Is that like a universal thing or are there specific sites/sellers opening preorders then?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Just ordered Sazabi vKa. Super pumped. Haven't built a gundamn in months

Have fun dude. That kit is rad as it is huge.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kotobukiya will be making plamo of the Skells from Xenoblade X.

http://nintendoeverything.com/kotobukiya-will-produce-skell-model-kits-for-xenoblade-chronicles-x/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Oh, huh, that actually looks pretty nice.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I see Skells went to the Gundam School of Transforming. Guess it couldn't afford Cybertron University. :v:

Kidding aside, it does look pretty neat, but i'm starting to get wary of Koto kits. You've got one last chance Koto - don't you DARE gently caress up Shin Getter-1.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just built a RG Strike Freedom. The shifting skirt armor is a really neat gimmick, I didn't remember the Strike Freedom doing that in the show. Of course, I wasn't paying super close attention by that point.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheManSeries posted:

Have fun dude. That kit is rad as it is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Neat.

Now where are my Bionis and Mechonis kits? I think 1/22000 scale might work.

PG Unicorn finally showed up in my HLJ warehouse, but not the LED kit. :/
I want to get the P-Club fullarmor parts for it, but the cheapest I've found it for is $150 shipped. Can't really justify that when I probably can't even display it anywhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's pretty awesome :allears:. I might actually get one once I find one I like in-game.

Pyroclastic posted:

Now where are my Bionis and Mechonis kits? I think 1/22000 scale might work.

I think I'd prefer a statue rather than a set of kits, to be honest. Them being posed that way's a big part of the game after all.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

dogsicle posted:

Is that like a universal thing or are there specific sites/sellers opening preorders then?

Should be all the regular places like amiami, hlj and hobbysearch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I picked up the new Bandai C-3PO and it is a really gorgeous kit. A surprising amount of articulation (ie; any at all) in the arms, and extreme shiny. They've also done a fantastic job of hiding nub cuts. I thought the 1/12's were about HG size too, and it turns out they're a full head taller.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I got the 1/12 Stormtrooper a few weeks ago, and it's great. The articulation is impressive, and it's about the same height as a MG.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You prompted me to check HLJ again and: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN996694/Sci

1/72 Y-Wing is happening. :toot: :woop: :toot:

Now I just need the A-Wing and Interceptor.

e; also I know this isn't general mecha chat, but as someone who:
  • really likes Zaku- and GM-type mechs including stuff like the Sinanju/Gerbera Tetra because they look cool while not being overly complex
  • hates 99% of actual Gundams (pretty much the only exceptions are the AGE-1 Spallow and the nu Gundam, without its fin funnels) because I don't like the samurai head and detest the "stick more spiky wings on it" school of design
  • is okay with stuff like Full Metal Panic, VOTOMS or Zone of the Enders designs.
  • doesn't like super robots because they tend to look goofy
  • is in no way a mecha or plamo expert
what are some good model kit series I should look into? I'm interested in expanding my horizons beyond Gundam stuff.

Also, generally, how are Bandai's Patlabor kits? Specifically this one: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10019981

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 1, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You prompted me to check HLJ again and: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN996694/Sci

• really likes Zaku- and GM-type mechs including stuff like the Sinanju/Gerbera Tetra because they look cool while not being overly complex
  • hates 99% of actual Gundams (pretty much the only exceptions are the AGE-1 Spallow and the nu Gundam, without its fin funnels) because I don't like the samurai head and detest the "stick more spiky wings on it" school of design
  • is okay with stuff like Full Metal Panic, VOTOMS or Zone of the Enders designs.
what are some good model kit series I should look into? I'm interested in expanding my horizons beyond Gundam stuff.

Also, generally, how are Bandai's Patlabor kits? Specifically this one: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10019981

Armored Core seems to fit your tastes quite well too. Heavily stylized, but still realistic mechs. Only problem is the kits are pretty expensive.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I was going to suggest their Patlabor kits before I read to the end of your post. I'm guessing you already have a Jesta?

If you can get a hold of them without paying the insane mark ups the Macross kits Bandai put out a while back seemed pretty decent.

There's also Zoids but I'm really unsure of how that falls in the realms of realistic design. They're very mechanical but well, they're all some form of animal.

Maybe Code Geass? That has some rad designs but I'm not sure if many (if any) of the grunts ever got kits.

Frame Arms has some really cool stuff as well, although the designs vary quite a bit from militaristic army robot to captain spikey pants.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Armored Core seems to fit your tastes quite well too. Heavily stylized, but still realistic mechs. Only problem is the kits are pretty expensive.

This is a good suggestion, although there some are incredibly spindly and/or spikey suits.

And as a final suggestion grab the Metal Gear Rex kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG Ingram is a pretty good kit, though it's getting on in years and is quite a bit simpler than your modern MG: I think they did a particularly good job in nailing the likeness, and most of the seams are well-hidden. Just be aware that the (unpaintable) rubber joint sleeves make it somewhat less posable than it otherwise would be.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of Ingrams, how decent is the 1/48 one that came out last year?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

YOU WILL BUY ZOIDS.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They announced a new Zoids Mastepriece line that's going to be 1/72 scale with more complex motorization then they've ever done before and it looks pretty cool.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

I think they did a particularly good job in nailing the likeness, and most of the seams are well-hidden.

Thanks. That's what I want out of it anyway; I'm not concerned about poseability as long as looks great standing straight and holding the revolver or shotgun at the ready. I've gone ahead and ordered one.

I've had a look at what's in the AC section on HobbySearch and a lot of them seem to weird, spiky messes, although there are a few that look decent (Nineball, Sunshine-E), so thanks. I'll wishlist them and grab them when my backlog is less huge, since I've just ordered that Ingram 2 and the Y-Wing. :v:

Luminaflare posted:

I was going to suggest their Patlabor kits before I read to the end of your post. I'm guessing you already have a Jesta?

If you can get a hold of them without paying the insane mark ups the Macross kits Bandai put out a while back seemed pretty decent.

There's also Zoids but I'm really unsure of how that falls in the realms of realistic design. They're very mechanical but well, they're all some form of animal.

Maybe Code Geass? That has some rad designs but I'm not sure if many (if any) of the grunts ever got kits.

Frame Arms has some really cool stuff as well, although the designs vary quite a bit from militaristic army robot to captain spikey pants.

MG Jesta is on my to-buy list. Also, I just checked and apparently Bandai made a transformable 1/72 VF-1? :aaa: Is it a wonky pile of poo poo that won't stay in one piece, or is it actually fairly solid?

I wasn't a fan of any of the Code Geass designs, but Frame Arms seems to have some cool stuff, so thanks.

Also eww, Zoids.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

They announced a new Zoids Mastepriece line that's going to be 1/72 scale with more complex motorization then they've ever done before and it looks pretty cool.

Man, I wish the people who designed Zoids also designed regular bipedal mechs. Because I love the details on all of them, but I really don't like the animal gimmick.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, I just checked and apparently Bandai made a transformable 1/72 VF-1? :aaa: Is it a wonky pile of poo poo that won't stay in one piece, or is it actually fairly solid?

Looking up reviews for it, i'm seeing a lot of complaining about small fragile parts and prone to falling apart.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm going to ship so many Gordos to you that when you open your door they crush you instantly. Fatality.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You all assumed Bandai had learned the hard way not to have multiple big releases at once, right?

You assumed incorrectly.

Man, I wish the people who designed Zoids also designed regular bipedal mechs. Because I love the details on all of them, but I really don't like the animal gimmick.

Look up their Frame Arms line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look up their Frame Arms line.

That's not actually them at all, I'm pretty sure most of the dudes who designed the OG zoids aren't working any more.

Zoids are cool because they're still making new molds for 80s greeble-aesthetic designs you would never see somebody do nowadays.